Sweers, the bane of consume monsters

+

kaalev

Forum regular
Sweers, the bane of consume monsters

With the upcoming patch that greatly improves consume monsters we forget the existence of this bogeyman. The silver card that singlehandedly counters an entire archetype remains at large.

Sweers: "Deploy: Choose a Bronze Enemy or a Revealed opposing Bronze Unit and move all copies of it from your opponent's Deck to their Graveyard."

I feel this card is unfair to consume monsters archetype that focuses on copying and consuming Nekkers. Now there are plenty of ways to deal with Nekkers already by banishing or locking but a card that sends ALL copies of a unit to the graveyard? Isn't that a tad bit too much? Especially for a mere silver card that apparently has no Doomed nor Relentless tag and can be played more than once in a match.

IMO Sweers is OP and very unfun. I can handle if gold cards can mess with your deck/hand/graveyard but when bronze and silver cards do it then it tends to piss me off. It's amazing that Skellige is getting shafted this patch while NG is making out with minor nerfs.

At least NR and monsters will see more play.

kaalev

Forum regular
StrykerxS77x;n8814200 said:
IMO Sweers is OP and very unfun. I can handle if gold cards can mess with your deck/hand/graveyard but when bronze and silver cards do it then it tends to piss me off. It's amazing that Skellige is getting shafted this patch while NG is making out with minor nerfs.

I don't mind if silver cards mess with my deck if it's not to an unreasonable level such as NG's Guardian or Sweers. Those are just insane and should be upgraded to gold cards at the very least. Also, I find it funny how both cards belong to the same faction.

Last edited:
Is Sweers even used? I have seen him maybe once or twice. People will use him if consume monsters are tier 1 again and played by a ton of people. And then it's just fair to have a counter. As of now there isn't much reason to pick him over any of the other faction silvers.

Well nilfguard is a faction designed like that. They have cards usually with a good amount of strength so they don't even slow down putting strength, yet they can counter you and ruin your deck archetype without any problem.
Playing nilfguard IS unfun. graveyard robbing, sweers, double lock in one play, peter, huge power swing + passes, cow carcasses, massive chain of bronze pulling each other and re-utilizing each other, messing with your draws completely, they have a lot of possibilities. Yup, very fun. To play, I mean. Probably. Definitely not to play against. Except if you're nilfguard as well, or playing a deck super hard to disturb like spell+gold only or stuff like that.

That faction single handedly dictates what decks can work in the meta right now. They're played a lot, so anything they can easily counter OR overpower is out by default.

Edit : I didn't post to rant about them but looks like it kind of turned out that way. I guess I'm still a bit salty after facing cookie cutter NG P2W decks after cookie cutter NG P2W decks with almost no variation in "casual" this morning. And being 2-rounded pretty much every time too. When it wasn't that, it was weather spam. What decks are the opponent playing? NG or weather spam. Any other variation like which faction was using weather is irrelevant, when it wasn't nilfguard all I felt was that I was battling against weather effects tbh.
Well, can't be helped.

Last edited:
StrykerxS77x;n8814200 said:

agreed. outside of gold cards, it seems overkill

It's just the story of Nilfgaard; Peter is just as oppressive to certain​ archetypes, Auckes can be as well... NG has the most oppressive tech cards in the game.
​​​​​

Flowneppets;n8822810 said:
Is Sweers even used? I have seen him maybe once or twice. People will use him if consume monsters are tier 1 again and played by a ton of people. And then it's just fair to have a counter. As of now there isn't much reason to pick him over any of the other faction silvers.

It's a bit more than a simple counter when it moves ALL copies of a unit from your deck to your graveyard.

I tried to use Sweers back in Closed Beta, when Monsters was still at the top, and he just seemed... unreliable. He was only really useful against NR/SK medics and Nekker decks, and more often than not, it turned out that my opponent still had 1-2 of the target card in their hand, or used a Nekker Warrior to make more Nekkers, making Sweers little more than dead weight.

Nekkers aren't even that central to consume anymore. Sure they're good resistant units to pass from round 2 --> 3, but it's mainly about the Harpies and their eggs now.

ElectroBlade;n8826580 said:
Nekkers aren't even that central to consume anymore. Sure they're good resistant units to pass from round 2 --> 3, but it's mainly about the Harpies and their eggs now.

I agree. I've been playing a Grave Hag variant of Consume that forgoes Nekkers and it works just fine. Celaeno Harpy provides much more immediate value (7 strength up front, 23 strength in two Consume effects) and doesn't require nearly as many Consume effects to set up.

During CB using Sweers right after the opponent used two nekker warrior on a nekker was probably one of the strongest "round 1 rage quit' inducer~
Didn't play either deck but oh boy, such a terrible blow.

Top Bottom