[Switch] Witcher 3 Bug - Pop-up notifications not disappearing

+
I'm not sure how active the CD Projekt Red's Techinal Support team is on Twitter, so I decided to create a post about the issues and bugs I've found on the Switch version.
There are artifact glitches in the game, I guess as expected, but the one that's been frustrating me is the notification HUD, which shows up in the center of the screen, and never goes away. I mean, it displays and then flashes continuously, non-stop. It goes without saying, it's annoying.

The best way to show it is to watch it happen, but because the forums won't let me attach a video file, I've uploaded a video file to Firefox Send for 6 days: https://send.firefox.com/download/cba4996490333ed8/#D54LsamlQ0TCMJqzoXxi2Q

Devs, please let me know how else I can help. It' be great to experience the game without that message constantly flashing right in the middle of the screen. I never found that on the PC version of the game. So I believe it's a bug.

The best thing you can do is send a ticket to support. For example use this link from the official support website from CDPR:

The best thing you can do is send a ticket to support. For example use this link from the official support website from CDPR:
I did that before creating this thread. However, the website always says there was a problem.

Attachments

• submitiss.png
    submitiss.png
    228.5 KB · Views: 210
Did you try to upload a file ? Wrong file formats or too big file sizes can cause problems.

Also make sure you selected the type (cartridge or download) before submitting the request.

Did you try to upload a file ? Wrong file formats or too big file sizes can cause problems.

Also make sure you selected the type (cartridge or download) before submitting the request.
Yes, selected digital download, and I also did pay attention to the file size limit.
Initially, I tried submitting a bug report attaching the same file hosted using Firefox Send.
No dice, so I tried again with a PNG image. Same thing.

I was out of ideas, but I was told they also collect feedback from their Discord Server, so I PM'ed KingKo, to whom I sent a link to this forum thread. Hopefully they'll see it, I just want to let them know this bug is a thing and it needs to be addressed.

Title edited for clarity.

I would continue trying to send in that Support ticket. If the system is not responding, try during off-peak hours for your region. The system does that to me, too, sometimes. I think it gets stressed and takes naps.

Title edited for clarity.

I would continue trying to send in that Support ticket. If the system is not responding, try during off-peak hours for your region. The system does that to me, too, sometimes. I think it gets stressed and takes naps.
Will do. Is it possible to attach MKV video files as well, as long as it is equal to or less than 25MB or does the tracker only accept image files?
Post automatically merged:

Phew. Finally.
witcher3bugrep_OK.png

Last edited:
Victory!!!

Somewhat...

...!!!
It felt more like a huge loss. I'll explain why. I talked to John, from the technical support team.
Initially, he replied to my bug report and sent me an email message, his first question was:
Could you please let us know your game's version? It should be visible when pressing + or - button on the home menu while The Witcher 3 is highlighted.
That had me thinking, how could the tech support NOT KNOW the exact version of the Switch port?
I explained everything to him once again:
Hello there.

Witcher 3 for Nintendo Switch is on version 3.5.
Also, to clarify my bug report even further, I've managed to capture the screenshot down below:

witcher3bug.jpeg

Now, as you can see, I'm told to read a book that I have in my inventory, not to go to a specific location.
But because this HUD Notification bug ignores what's happening in the game, it will constantly flash saying "Stand in the spot indicated on the minimap".
That's right, it's been doing that non-stop, no matter what quest I'm on. In case you're wondering, yes, it doesn't matter the language the HUD is set to, this bug is a thing and it needs to go away.

I'll sum it up, John had his recommendations and his conclusions all over the place.
For numerous times, I mentioned it was v3.5 on the Switch, but he would eventually ask me questions like
Did you perhaps update the game after encountering this issue?
He also had me doing all sorts of things on my console, which he recommended on his previous email messages:
* Checking corrupt data
* Clearing the cache by resetting it
* Do a system restart and starting the game

Needless to say, the bug is still there. My Switch found no corrupt data, it did the reset but none of that resolved the problem.
After I told him none of that did change anything , he would go back to my version again:
What I asked is whether you've updated the game with the optional day 0 patch (3.4) after the issue first appeared.

I'm afraid that if the issue disappears after starting a new game, I advise you to do so.
I'm not sure he was aware this was about the Switch edition, not PC.
Anyway, he also said that if I had the game on v3.4, it would be a good idea to load the savedata from 3.4 and play the game on this version. I said that was not a solution, even if it worked, because PROJEKT RED cannot pretend this is a fix and that they don't have to do anything to resolve the problem.
He also suggested for me to start a new game, to which I answered:
I don't want to start a new campaign because I'm afraid I might encounter the same problem down the line and end up exactly where I am right now, meaning it'd be a huge waste of time.

At this point, it was clear to me my bug report wouldn't get anywhere, let alone be considered for a game update.
So I asked for the right person's details to provide me a refund.

And that is what I got from the tech support. Pretty much nothing. Which is surprising to me, considering this is PROJEKT RED after all. Oh well.

I believe you are very much misinterpreting what's being done:

That had me thinking, how could the tech support NOT KNOW the exact version of the Switch port?

This is a primary consideration at all times -- on all platforms. When the game is updated, certain issues are resolved. So, one of the first things to check is that the player is running the most recent version of the game.

Secondly, the game may have incorrectly / incompletely updated. If the data gets corrupted or the game does not completely finish the process, it can mean that the update is not fully applied. That, of course, can result in all sorts of weirdness.

Both of these things are easily ruled out by ensuring the game version is up-to-date / correct. If it's not...well that's probably the solution right there.

I'll sum it up, John had his recommendations and his conclusions all over the place.

He also had me doing all sorts of things on my console, which he recommended on his previous email messages:
* Checking corrupt data
* Clearing the cache by resetting it
* Do a system restart and starting the game

While it may seem like it's "all over the place", it's very often extremely systemic. Games do not work in a way that are "sensible" or "reasonable" according to "layman's logic". They are complex webs of systems that often relate to each other in very obscure ways.

By asking if you "updated the game after encountering the issue", he's checking to see if the bug occurred before the update. Certain bugs can be prevented, but there may be no way to retroactively fix the issue. Meaning: if it happens, I'm stuck. The only thing to be done is reload to a point before the bug occured (using the most recent version) and avoid it. That's the nature of computer code, unfortunately. Nothing to be done.

Anyway, he also said that if I had the game on v3.4, it would be a good idea to load the savedata from 3.4 and play the game on this version. I said that was not a solution, even if it worked, because PROJEKT RED cannot pretend this is a fix and that they don't have to do anything to resolve the problem.

As expressed above, that's sometimes the only solution. I can't expect a game with over a million lines of code to work flawlessly in every situation without exception. It's the same as saying someone else should be perfect and never make any mistakes. When (not if) mistakes are made, then the only thing to do is fix them. If the fix is inconvenient, well...that's the way it goes. :( A bummer, perhaps, but one can't fight gravity. Once the vase has fallen, it may break. Options are: a.) new vase or b.) glue. Can't get the original vase back. It's done.

If we want huge, sprawling, complex video games with gigantic, open worlds and tons and tons of options...we're going to need to deal with hiccups and imperfections. If we want games that work with zero issues, we're basically limited to linear platformers and text adventures. And just because I, personally, don't encounter any problems with a given title doesn't mean there are not thousands of others that do. Conversely, just because thousands of others have no issues doesn't mean I won't, either. Sometimes, we just win the misfortune lottery.

As it stands, this was a very ambitious project to attempt on the Switch. There will likely be more issues that will surface over time. On the whole, while I'm sorry you hit this snag, it's passingly common in big RPGs to need to restore to an earlier save point and play through sections again if issues arise. Sometimes, one-off issues like this one are simply not re-createable. (I've not heard of anyone else that has ever encountered this. If Support can't make the issue happen on their end, there's no way to track down what might be causing it.)

Top Bottom