Switcheroo seasonal appreciation (flaming) thread

+
I just wanted to cast a positive note and a sincere thanks to whoever came up with seasonal play style, and this one in particular. These types of matches are quickly becoming my favorite playing experience, and Switcheroo is just hilarious! I'm having a blast, but maybe not everyone finds it as amusing as I do, so flame away if you wish.

I do laugh a lot about this back-and-forth of playing each other's trash and see who comes on top, good times. Maybe this topic will counter a bit the starter deck discussion, as seemingly it's all there is in the forums right now.

I really like Switcheroo too. It might even be my favorite Seasonal mode because of the variety. You can play almost anything and still have a chance; it's fantastic for quest progression. Honestly, either Patience Is a Virtue or Switcheroo would be far better choices for permanent game modes (instead of Blitz) because they're so utterly different from the base game, especially with all the lengthy animations and overall lag that plague Gwent and make Blitz a nightmare.

My only complaint is that the majority of games are 2-0, and I feel bad that one of the players isn't getting any crown points for the match; however, this isn't unique to Switcheroo, as it happens in a few of the other Seasonal modes as well (also Ranked and Casual).

I really like Switcheroo too. It might even be my favorite Seasonal mode because of the variety. You can play almost anything and still have a chance; it's fantastic for quest progression. Honestly, either Patience Is a Virtue or Switcheroo would be far better choices for permanent game modes (instead of Blitz) because they're so utterly different from the base game, especially with all the lengthy animations and overall lag that plague Gwent and make Blitz a nightmare.
I wholeheartedly agree with this, and I also enjoyed Patience is a Virtue a lot.

Even though I've seen 2-0's more often in Swticheroo, roughly 50% of my matches grant a half crown to the losing player due to leader variety, but that's a legitimate concern. I wouldn't wish people to leave crownless after a lengthy match, but sometimes it's simply out of your hands.

Switcheroo is my second favourite seasonal -- better than Battle Rush and second only to Patience is a Virtue! -- and it's absolutely brilliant. I use the same deck I use(d) for Patience, and it works great; opponents love playing my Eskel: Pathfinder and even Master Mirror, but no one ever touches Nova or the former Silver witchers so I get to do my best plays.

In one game I had a bricked Knickers in hand, which the opponent eventually played because we played all cards in R1. That was funny, seeing Best Boy switch hands until he was literally the only card left in that hand.

It's hilarious to purposely waste the opponent's best cards just so they won't be able to get value out of them. I greatly enjoyed, for example, playing a Gezras long before the Adrenaline was active, and also playing an Eist without any Bloodthirst so that the opponent wasn't able to take advantage of their Bloodthirst 3 the next turn. :LOL:

I think they've sped up the switching hands animation a bit; I seem to remember it taking longer and being a minor annoyance, but it isn't that anymore. Or maybe I was just less patient (because Patience hadn't been a thing yet? :p ) last year.

I built a deck consisting completely of neutral 4p bronzes ... It's hilarious seeing the opponent pause after the first switch :). Came within 2 points of actually winning a match once, too XD

Switcheroo is my second favourite seasonal -- better than Battle Rush and second only to Patience is a Virtue! -- and it's absolutely brilliant. I use the same deck I use(d) for Patience, and it works great; opponents love playing my Eskel: Pathfinder and even Master Mirror, but no one ever touches Nova or the former Silver witchers so I get to do my best plays.

In one game I had a bricked Knickers in hand, which the opponent eventually played because we played all cards in R1. That was funny, seeing Best Boy switch hands until he was literally the only card left in that hand.

It's hilarious to purposely waste the opponent's best cards just so they won't be able to get value out of them. I greatly enjoyed, for example, playing a Gezras long before the Adrenaline was active, and also playing an Eist without any Bloodthirst so that the opponent wasn't able to take advantage of their Bloodthirst 3 the next turn. :LOL:

I think they've sped up the switching hands animation a bit; I seem to remember it taking longer and being a minor annoyance, but it isn't that anymore. Or maybe I was just less patient (because Patience hadn't been a thing yet? :p ) last year.
Pardon me, but wich prestige you are?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, i havent tried Switcheroo this season, but i remember the strategies used on previous seasons where switcheroo was the seasonal mode.

-Trying to pull off combos between the cards in hand isnt worth it, as they're likely to get disrupted.

-Better to have a really strong opening, even if its disgustingly expensive provision-wise, like dandelion poet, roach, knickers into another expensive gold, then the rest of your hand is trash. Same for the beginning of R3.

-Opponent will have access to the cards in your hand, but not the ones in your deck and leader ability, so use this to your favour, like tutors to specific cards your opponent wont have in deck, anything that comes directly from deck (Madoc, Aelirenn, Roach,etc) or cards that only work with your leader, like using deathwish but having no consumes except the leader OH.

I realized today that they did it again. Switcheroo is only going to be around for 5 days, just like with Patience Is a Virtue over the Easter weekend. I don't see why this is ever the case because who really cares if Seasonal switches on a different day than the patch drops, but if they're dead set on having variable timespans, can we at least have them be the ones that are glitched (like Double Down), downright broken (like Plus One/Trial of the Grasses with Idarran of Ulivo/Witcher Student tokens), or simply terribly designed (like Banished/Entrench)?

2021-08-02_1024_1.png

We had the same deckbuilding strategy. These are the opponent's cards in my hand. :LOL:
This mode is amazing, it really is.

Top Bottom