Sword Requirement Levels, Equipment Level Scaling

+
Yes that is one way to solve the issue of balancing. But there's a huge issue with implementing that system in The Witcher 3 and that's the way the skill system is. This system takes more inspiration from The Witcher 2 than The Witcher 1. The WItcher 3 also has this active/inactive skill system which I have never seen in a game before. I believe the way it works is that you have a set amount of passive/non-passive skills that you can assign to Geralt for a certain situation. The amount of skills you can put in there increases as you level up. I don't see a way to efficiently build in the Str/Dex/Int/Stam skill trees that were available to the player in this new system without causing issues.

Well IMO you do not need to include Dexterity, Intelligence, Stamina and Strength, you can just simplify it (like in TW2) and make it "base damage" which is won out of your level (like base damage for level 5 = 20) and your skill boni (of which there and not many, since it is mainly an "active abilities" skill tree). Everything else is added by swords and armor, potions and so on.

Also I can't believe that there is NO stat changes at all in the skill tree. I mean swordsmanship, even if there are a lot of "moves" you can learn as active abilities there HAVE to be 1 or 2 skills that are made to increase damage, even if it is just very few.

I'm not sayin my solution is superior. And who knows, maybe there is more to the system that meets the eye, more than the tiny bit we saw in the video.
I'm just saying it would have been a possibility.

This level requirement mechanic is really no surprise and is fine by me for the reasons many have already mentioned. What matters to me is if W3 will place a higher value/emphasis in the Rarity type on the weapons much more than the previous Witcher games.
If we're rating an item "EPIC" then my god give me something that LOOKS epic.
To some degree I almost want to say that I want the ultimate items to be crazy /ridiculous in terms of design. E.g. I want a silver sword to actually be a flaming sword for once that has a cool effect of randomly setting the nearby grass ablaze or leaves a trail of fire where Geralt goes but not actually creating wildfires or harming anything since it's only an illusion made by this magical sword that does nothing but maybe give a chance of making low lvl enemies easily scared flee from the fire. It's a generic idea but you catch my drift.

I personally think the bigger tragedy here is the fact that ALL the "best weapons must be crafted". I feel like this just destroys the surprise factor of catching the player off guard in rewarding them. I guess you can argue that ULTRA RARE crafting material drops should yield the same result but idk it just doesnt feel the same since crafting means you wouldn't be able to use it right away and would just be stuck in your inventory tormenting you until you've acquired the rest of the materials which makes the experience somewhat of a chore.

Or think this way.... you're master of 'some' swords... suddenly you found 'samurai' sword...
Yes you can swing it but do you have all the 'finesse' to use it to its full potential? Doesn't matter if it's rusty... think that sword was forged for a 'specific' technique of usage... If Geralt doesn't know how to use all those 'tricks' he's 'better' with his old swords....

Maybe there is a quest to find old Witcher master.... that is 800 years old and lives in swamp area? ;) Find him and he''ll teach you....

implying samurais exist in the witcher universe and the katana wouldn't look totally stupid and out of place.

I really cant think of other way, how would you stop player from traveling to high level area, buying sword with high damage stat and then killing everything despite his low level? In linear games like TW1, TW2 you dont need level requirements for weapons and armor because you have control over player and his movement in the world, in open-world games its not so easy.

There ways of balancing that. like say certain weapons and shops open up after a certain length of the main quest. or after completing high level quest. or you get those weapons from shop at a certain level. Honestly i think the whole level requirement for a weapon is terrible idea.

Lets not forget that the devs have told us several times that if we go exploring higher level areas our rewards for beating those higher level areas would be those weapons . the fact that there are level requirements for weapons negates completely that reward

There ways of balancing that. like say certain weapons and shops open up after a certain length of the main quest. or after completing high level quest. or you get those weapons from shop at a certain level. Honestly i think the whole level requirement for a weapon is terrible idea.

Lets not forget that the devs have told us several times that if we go exploring higher level areas our rewards for beating those higher level areas would be those weapons . the fact that there are level requirements for weapons negates completely that reward

Although i do see what you mean, having things "locked" in any way until a certain level or until you reach a part of the main quest, would be even worse. Limitations like that would make players obligated to go look for what quest they need to finish to unlock a store/merchant for the weapon they want. It would add to the linearity of things i believe, kinda against the open world from the start feel of the game.

I do think there are other ways to do it of course but i am not particularly bothered with this system. It's been used before and it's not the worst thing out there i think

Although i do see what you mean, having things "locked" in any way until a certain level or until you reach a part of the main quest, would be even worse. Limitations like that would make players obligated to go look for what quest they need to finish to unlock a store/merchant for the weapon they want. It would add to the linearity of things i believe, kinda against the open world from the start feel of the game.

I don't see it this way. I mean if you make it based on levels there is not really a "quest you can do so you unlock X or Y" and in the wilderness you can still find powerful weapons. Of course there would need to be other things to balance those out (see below for an idea).

To a degree yes.
While I agree with others who say killing a hard monster alone is an enormous rewards, I also have to agree that it was mentioned or implied in interviews every once in a while that we could use those weapons we find even if they are from high-level monsters.

Like I said, I see the basic concept of restricting the level, but I hope there is more to it than meets the eye and that we CAN actually equip those swords but they will have a downside (like making less damage or loosing durability very fast).

Example. Geralt level 7. I go into a forest, and I encounter a really strong mob, like level 40...I should die, but I'm good and I defeat it. It drops a really fancy sword, very powerful...but then I can't use it, because my level is not enough.
So...why I fought that mob, if there isn't a real reward?
If you're so good to defeat an enemy that drops a sword that you will not be able to use in 50 hours of gameplay, you're so good that you will not need it....

If you're so good to defeat an enemy that drops a sword that you will not be able to use in 50 hours of gameplay, you're so good that you will not need it....

thats a weak excuse, im a badass who defeated a 60 level monster. I should use that badass sword.

thats a weak excuse, im a badass who defeated a 60 level monster. I should use that badass sword.

So trick: find a power enemy that has a easy pattern to be defeated. Now you have no more enemies in the game.

Nonsense.

And weak escuse, yours, too. First let see if the levels are bad implemented or not.

You arent giving CDP credit enough if you think the monster will have an "easy pattern" . if i defeated that monster, it was through hard work and determination. I should get a reward. Saying that beating that monster is the reward itself is just lame.

And the whole "world will get empty" of those monsters its unlikely, beating a single monster would likely take a huge amount of time, if nothing else they can just respawn new ones.

And no, it is not a weak excuse, if i manage to defeat a powerful monster i should get a reward. if there is none, you think many players would keep at it and dared to continue explore? If nothing else because the devs themselves promised rewards if we clear those high level areas. Them putting a level cap on those items would be a way of cheating and screwing over the player.

It is a good thing CDPR gives you the tool to to adjust this. From a modder's perspective, it is not an issue.
I can play the game as any other RPG, or I can equalize all stats across all gear and mobs so Geralt is the badass swordsman he's supposed to be from the get-go, but the mobs are badass too from the get-go. I'd probably end up doing the latter; that is how I see the story.

You arent giving CDP credit enough if you think the monster will have an "easy pattern" . if i defeated that monster, it was through hard work and determination. I should get a reward. Saying that beating that monster is the reward itself is just lame.

And the whole "world will get empty" of those monsters its unlikely, beating a single monster would likely take a huge amount of time, if nothing else they can just respawn new ones.

And no, it is not a weak excuse, if i manage to defeat a powerful monster i should get a reward. if there is none, you think many players would keep at it and dared to continue explore? If nothing else because the devs themselves promised rewards if we clear those high level areas. Them putting a level cap on those items would be a way of cheating and screwing over the player.

We do not know yet if there is even respawn. According to some journalists who got to play the game for 5 hours or so without any restrictions there was no monster that he killed and respawned later on.

We do not know yet if there is even respawn. According to some journalists who got to play the game for 5 hours or so without any restrictions there was no monster that he killed and respawned later on.
my theory is that they respawn but after a very long time. let say, after 20-30 days in game, kinda like in the gothic games. after all, they did say that the leveling experience as well as the exploration of the open world is similar to the gothic series.

my theory is that they respawn but after a very long time. let say, after 20-30 days in game, kinda like in the gothic games. after all, they did say that the leveling experience as well as the exploration of the open world is similar to the gothic series.

20 - 30 days is a little bit much if you ask me.
I mean the 24 hours in TW2 would be a little bit too less on the contrary.

So I'd say 5 - 6 days would be the ideal middle ground, I hope that is how it is.

I see no issue here. Most RPG's I've played do this for balance. I prefer it this way instead of like Morrowind. Right off the bat a bandit can attack you whom you have no chance of defeating so he robs or kills you.

Last edited:
So trick: find a power enemy that has a easy pattern to be defeated. Now you have no more enemies in the game.

Nonsense.

And weak escuse, yours, too. First let see if the levels are bad implemented or not.

Nope your excuse is weak here. What you're saying is CDPR don't have to bother to balance their battles and stop weak patterns exploits etc. They just have to make sure people don't get the awesome loot from tough enemies.

It is a good thing CDPR gives you the tool to to adjust this. From a modder's perspective, it is not an issue.
I can play the game as any other RPG, or I can equalize all stats across all gear and mobs so Geralt is the badass swordsman he's supposed to be from the get-go, but the mobs are badass too from the get-go. I'd probably end up doing the latter; that is how I see the story.

I'm looking forward to a mod that literally deletes level progression from the game. Just let Geralt start at the level cap, unlock every skill from the start (and let people choose which skills they want), make all enemies balanced for the level cap and all weapons as well. I'd play that. :)

Nope your excuse is weak here. What you're saying is CDPR don't have to bother to balance their battles and stop weak patterns exploits etc. They just have to make sure people don't get the awesome loot from tough enemies.

Sorry, balance battles? strong enemies are strong, are not so strong enemies are not strong. It is something they already have said. They will not make the enemies stronger in base your level, as you're suggesting.

In fact I don't get you. The feeling is that you're complaining to complain. You decided it will not be balanced, that the stronger weapon you get will not be able to be used until 50 extra hours of gameplay (to say something), and that you're so good that will be able to defeat the "ultimate boss" early in the game but you will not be able to use the "weapon you get from it".

Really, let me say it in another way. Maybe my words have no meaning, to you... but...

You're complaining about things you don't know about. You're complaining about the colour in with a room has been painted, with no knowledge of the colour: you only know it has been painted

:)

Top Bottom