Sword Requirement Levels, Equipment Level Scaling

+
I don't think level requirement for gear (not just weapons) is an indication of MMO'ness. Neverwinter Nights had it, and it's a game based on D&D, the classic system for RPGs. I think it's a good way to balance the game, and yes, it's still a game - even if it's based on books. Trying to make everything match the lore is being out of sync with this genre being what it is. I'm sure CDPR are doing the best they can, even if there will be a few slips here and there, but they still have important mechanical considerations (such as balance, and progression). If we were truly pedantic about staying loyal to the lore this wouldn't be an RPG with leveling-up and acquiring many new abilities to begin with.

Hm, can´t really rage about this. The lore consistency between Witcher games was already crappy in the past. It´s an issue, that plagues this franchise. Raven Armour, Mahakam sword and Aerondight beeing inventar rubbish in the mid of act 1 in TW2? You name it. It needed the Full combat rebalance mod to fix this madness. Didn´t expect anything different for part 3.

"Hello, my name is Stefan and I am a cheater." "Hello Stefan!" /cheaters-anonymus.

To tell you the truth, I cheated right at the beginning of The Witcher 2 for the same reasons most of you already named. I, as a player, read all the books, but accepted Geralt's amnesia in the first game. In Witcher 2 though, after defeating the Salamandra, Azar Jarved and Jaques de Aldersberg AND recieving a legendary sword from a goddess, there was no excuse (in character) to start from scratch again. Not because of the time that went into maximizing Geralt's skills in Witcher 1, but the inconcistency. So I modded Aerondight to be extremely powerful, just as much as the Sihil from Mahakam and removed the vigor-aspect to be able to block any time I want and didn't have to roll around like Samus Aran. Still I spent almost 90 hours on the Witcher 2 (in my first playthrough out of 4; or rather 5 in a few weeks) and enjoyed every single second of it. It was no god mode, mind you - I still died now and then if I wasn't prepared - but when I was, I beheld the White Wolf of legend I knew from the books. That's far more important to me than gameplay mechanics.

And with Wild Hunt, I'll do exactly the same if I find a way to do so (and if Aerondight is importable x.x). Feel free to nail me to a tree, but I'll still take much longer to finish the game than most others. Walking instead of running, turning off every visual aid whatsoever (map, quest-markers, POIs etc.), no quicktravel... You name it. I understand the nerf from a design-standpoint, but The Witcher 3 will finally be THE Geralt-simulator I was waiting for since falling in love with this dirty, brutal world 8 years ago. And even while cheating, I can still enjoy and respect all the hard work that went into creating it while respecting Geralt's story and skills just as much. I'll still level up normally with nothing but a button in my pocket at the start of the game on Dark Mode, but not without my Aerondight. <3

Last edited:
hmm... i'm not sure how to feel about this really. i mean i get the idea of upgrading your gear as you character level up, but not being able to use a weapon because it's level is too high is kinda weird, and breaks immersion in my humble opinion. in the end, we won't know for sure until we get to play the game and see how the whole thing works.
there are other games that kinda did this indirectly, like in TES (especially oblivion and skyrim) where you find better gear as you level up or beat tougher enemies, but you don't really feel it, it kinda feels more natural in a way.
the gothic series did it, except by your character's point: strength and dexterity, while learning new swordsmanship skill (one handed or two handed) improves your fighting moves.

and guess what ? i think CDPR is doing the same thing here. sure the weapon will have a level on it (as a recommendation of some sort perhaps), but what really governs the use of the weapon is your swordsmanship skills. even the exploration and leveling system reminds me a lot of the gothic series (check the "interviews and articles-2015" thread)

what do you think guys ?

Dragon Age Inquisition also has level requirement for wearing armors, wielding weapons etc. It also has class requirements like Rogue cannot wear heavy armors (unless you use some special materials to craft it) so I don't think this is the indication of going towards MMO, pretty much every RPG does this.

Lords of the Fallen did that in a unique way such that you can actually wield the weapon but it will put a damage penalty until you fulfill the level requirement so there is no point wielding it before the right level.

Dragon Age Inquisition also has level requirement for wearing armors, wielding weapons etc. It also has class requirements like Rogue cannot wear heavy armors (unless you use some special materials to craft it) so I don't think this is the indication of going towards MMO, pretty much every RPG does this.

Lords of the Fallen did that in a unique way such that you can actually wield the weapon but it will put a damage penalty until you fulfill the level requirement so there is no point wielding it before the right level.

to be honest, the way DA:inquisition plays is like an MMORPG on almost every aspect, with boring quests and empty big spaces with just filler content. and leveling up your character and acquiring new gear felt very MMO-ish

What level requirements? This is outrageous! They completely changed paths didn't they??
In The Witcher 2 we could find the best steel swords (Caerme diagram hidden in the asylum, Beann'shie in the asylum too, you can't craft this one though, Head-taker in the burned down hospital) in the game hidden in the forests of Flotsam (Chapter one)
God, I want freedom in the game, not restrictions... What are you doing CDPR? Don't just push us to modding from the very first day. :/

What level requirements? This is outrageous! They completely changed paths didn't they??
In The Witcher 2 we could find the best steel swords (Caerme diagram hidden in the asylum, Beann'shie in the asylum too, you can't craft this one though, Head-taker in the burned down hospital) in the game hidden in the forests of Flotsam (Chapter one)
God, I want freedom in the game, not restrictions... What are you doing CDPR? Don't just push us to modding from the very first day. :/

They are trying to balance a big open world game without level scaling.

I'm one of those gamers who like challenging gameplay, so i'm ok that CDPR use this as a tool to balance the gameplay.
For example in Skyrim, I remember my first play through, , it was fun in begginging, but since I went to max blacksmith tree and manage to craft best armor in game very early and combat after that was way too easy.

Geralt as master swordsman and fun RPG gameplay is just not possible together. Just deal with it...

Yeah, i dont like this at all. Should me modded soon. So i defeat a hord of tough enemies just to find a sword i wont be able to use for another 20hours?

Yeah, the whole level-requirement has no sense. Geralt is already a master of sword, he should be ablt to wield everything. Also, I hope that different swords don't do much difference in damage, it's so MMO-style. I know it's game and should also consits of pure "fun" factor, but it can be achived in a better way, at least by upgrading sword skills, not the swords itself :/

IMHO the solution for this dilema is to remove the level requirement but leaving the level of the sword as a reference. Now, make all swords scale (up or down) with your level to a maximum damage cap in proportion of the sword level.

I really don't see any problem with this system. If there weren't any requirements on the weapons you find it could get a bit tricky i think.

You could, for example, run for it through a pack of creatures in a cave or a path and get to the sword that is in a chest in the end, which does a gazillion damage compared to the weapons your level. That would be really bad for the games balance, killing enemies with half a blow cause the sword is 30 levels over your level.

There are probably a few ways to make the system different but it's the last thing that would bother me.

EDIT: Also, although i do understand that Geralt in the books is a master of sword use and he should be able to handle all weapons but this is an RPG and character progression is a must. If we wanted a master swordsman, we should start of as level 50 and be level 50 through all the game and gain no abilities, upgrades etc. which wouldn't make any sense or do any good to the game.

Last edited:
I really don't see any problem with this system. If there weren't any requirements on the weapons you find it could get a bit tricky i think.

You could, for example, run for it through a pack of creatures in a cave or a path and get to the sword that is in a chest in the end, which does a gazillion damage compared to the weapons your level. That would be really bad for the games balance, killing enemies with half a blow cause the sword is 30 levels over your level.

There are probably a few ways to make the system different but it's the last thing that would bother me.

EDIT: Also, although i do understand that Geralt in the books is a master of sword use and he should be able to handle all weapons but this is an RPG and character progression is a must. If we wanted a master swordsman, we should start of as level 50 and be level 50 through all the game and gain no abilities, upgrades etc. which wouldn't make any sense or do any good to the game.

you're right, but i still think they could tie the use of the sword to your swordsmanship level. perhaps this is what's happening ?

you're right, but i still think they could tie the use of the sword to your swordsmanship level. perhaps this is what's happening ?

That could be a good idea. It's either having a swordsmaship level requirement or a general character level requirement. I am honestly good with both.

I kinda like finding an item that is too good for me and i have to work a few levels to be able to use it. It could just be me though :D

Tying swords to swordsmanship won't work well, because this isn't an RPG where you have different classes. Even if you go for a Signs or Alchemy focused build, you're still reliant on your swords at the end of the day (unless you think it's viable to just Igni everyone to death, but c'mon).

IMHO the solution for this dilema is to remove the level requirement but leaving the level of the sword as a reference. Now, make all swords scale (up or down) with your level to a maximum damage cap in proportion of the sword level.

That's not a perfect solution neither. Just think about the possibility that you find a really powerful weapon early on. That would mean that you wouldn't find anything better for the next 20 or 30 hours or so. Not a big problem for me personally, but probably for others.

I dont like this at all, and what you guys saying about buying the sword in high areas at low level, well then, make high swords expensive as hell. I want to play the game in the highest difficult, and if i kill a harcore monster way more stronger than me, i want to use my reward. This is bullshit.

Doesn't bother me. Killing high level mobs has other bonuses like mutagens, experience points, bragging rights, etc.

Yeah, why can't victory over higher-level opponents be its own reward?

That said, I have mixed feelings about this. While I can understand the argument that this system might discourage exploring higher-level areas somewhat, I prefer a reasonable challenge curve, as that would help keep the game-play compelling. Of course, even if this system wasn't in place, I could simply choose to ignore all that over-leveled equipment until I'm ready to use it. So yeah, I can agree that level requirements for equipment might be a bit heavy handed, but it doesn't bother me, personally, either.

Also, I probably will never read the books, so game Geralt not matching book Geralt is a non-issue to me.

Top Bottom