Sword Scabbards or no?

+
Sword Scabbards or no?

Ok so ive had this game for about a week now and ive noticed through screen shots on this site and others that it looks like Geralt is wearing scabbards on his back, yet in the game he doesnt seem to be wearing them, so i just wanted to know if that was like taken out of the game or does he get them at some point?

ok so they were in the game? so they got patched out or something? or were they taken out before release?

Yes that always bugs me in games where the sword just seems to magically stick to your hip with no scabbard at all. It should also be part of the skill of any swordsman to be able to draw his sword from the scabbard without snagging it up, it should all be part of it.

yea cause if you watch the way he put them onto his back when you end combat its a realistic way to re-sheathe a sword that long onto your back, it would look so cool if he still had the scabbards on his back, cause like on the main site when it gives the description of the silver sword the scabbard is a vital part of the look.

As far as my knowledge is concerned, the problem was, that Geralt can have different sizes and shapes of swords (steel ones). And it was a problem what to do with the scabbards - one for all the swords? Different for each sword - then where from should we get one? Think about that.BTW. I moved it to The Witcher category.

You should be able to make a scabbard just big enough for the largest sword, and it wouldn't clip with the smaller ones then.Only problem I see is the curved swords, but presumably you could have a separate scabbard model for them.It might look a *little* silly, but sillier than big steel swords sticking to his back? I doubt it.

Gotcha said:
Perhaps they had clipping issues or something? It'd be nice to bring them backin the nearby future though. :)
Well you have clipping issues with the plain swords so i can't see how that could be it.

Daerdin said:
As far as my knowledge is concerned, the problem was, that Geralt can have different sizes and shapes of swords (steel ones). And it was a problem what to do with the scabbards - one for all the swords? Different for each sword - then where from should we get one? Think about that.BTW. I moved it to The Witcher category.
You mean where Geralt, as a character in the game world, would get a scabbard for the sword he finds? Oh no, certainly swords glued to the back is more realistic.No mocking included, just sarcasm.

Daerdin said:
He could find the scabbard with those swords? Is this really the reason why we have sword magnets? Think about how lame that is.

I agree - I miss them too.Looks stupid to have such a visually appealing game but the swords are "glued" to your back.

Daerdin said:
Ehrm...??? Have you ever played Oblivion for instance? Every sword comes with it's own scabbard. They could've done the same with Geralts swords...

I agree it looks quite odd if the swords stick to his back by an invisible power ;D but it looks like if scabbards won't come back, they are gone for everhttp://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1059.msg137236#msg137236

I'm sure a modder will do it a month after the toolset is released.They also said horse combat was impossible in Oblivion, yet modders have found a way. Scabbards seem trivial in comparison.I still find the reason why they were cut to be extremely lame. Different sized scabbards? Really? That's so tough? Lame lame lame.

I found a picture with scabbards and they look cool enough to me.

hm why is that not anmore ine the game? looks good! not like the glue-sword on geralts back we have now.

Because some swords are curved and CDP was too lazy to make different shaped scabbards to go with them.I expect this to be one of the first things fixed by modders when the toolset is released.

Dragonsblood said:
I'm sure a modder will do it a month after the toolset is released.They also said horse combat was impossible in Oblivion, yet modders have found a way. Scabbards seem trivial in comparison.
Man, i hope you're right. This "floating" or "glued" sword thing killed me. The sheaths in the screenshots look very very nice, removing them, for me, was a bad decision. Apparently they said they it's permanent, as in they are not thinking on putting them back for the EE. We can only hope modders will find a way to do it.

Daerdin said:
As far as my knowledge is concerned, the problem was, that Geralt can have different sizes and shapes of swords (steel ones). And it was a problem what to do with the scabbards - one for all the swords? Different for each sword - then where from should we get one? Think about that.
Not a problem.If you get a sword too big for your scabbard, you can't put it in the scabbard and so you'll have to hang it on your belt. Not a problem, half the time I seem to have a sword and a flail or a hammer or something hanging on my belt anyway, picked up after some fight or other.The scabbard ought to fit your original witcher swords, and Aerondight ought to fit in the silver sword one (and if you have your steel sword reforged with meteorite iron it should still fit in the steel sword scabbard). But if you pick up something bigger or curved, then it won't fit. Tough.

Top Bottom