Sword Scabbards or no?

+
Lean back, guys,I am a modder, still a beginner since a few months, but I know it CAN be made !!The fact is: you need the graphics for the scabbards, thats not the thing. There are lots of modders that can draw this in short time.You only have to put the right sword into the right graphic, maybe thats a lot of work (scripting work), and I don't know if I am able do do that, because I'm just beginner, but I KNOW, there are modders being really good at what they do, and I promise ??? (huuuh..) they would do itI don't have a look at the D'jinni right now, loading it down yesterday but (and that's what I really can promise) I'm going to take a look at it this weekend.I know I can't draw that scabbards (I'm the worse drawer in this world ;D) but I'll try to find out how to script it, couldn't be much harder as in NWN.I'm on it. And I think there are several modders that want to bring the scabbards back.Btw, I find it really odd there are magic swords hangin on my back ;)

@RynkkyHow do you post images? I've been about this scabbard thing a lot, and always wanted to post the screenshot pics but how do I do it?----------I believe it's official that they did have the scabbards until the beta pre-release but then decided to remove them, though this size thing is a bit lame... they could make it only for the witcher's swords and the others, if they don't fit you'd have to hang on your belt or something, it would be realistic (I mean, Witchers have the scabbards for their swords, that's what's made for) and, although it could make it bit harder to play since you would have less freedom for carrying weapons, it would make sense, and I believe people would feel that way too. "I can't carry that scimitar on my back? Well.. makes sense, it's Ok". From what I have read, this is a permanent decision and they are not thinking on having them back for EE.

Well i think the problem was, and don't quote me on this i'm just guessing, that the scabbards were part of the armor model, not the swords, so no matter what sword you had , the scabbard stays the same. So to make a different scabbard for each sword, they had to make it as part of the sword model, then make an extra node on the character or the armor model to attach the scabbard to, and then program the engine to recognize that node so that the scabbard stays on your back when you unsheath the sword, just like in Oblivion. Clearly that would take some time that maybe they didn't have.And as far as modding goes, making scabbards would be easy, you can just edit the armor model, but it will still be the one scabbard for all types of swords, it would be weird having the Harvall for example, in a normal steel sword scabbard, but it would still be cool nonetheless. :)

Dragonsblood said:
Because some swords are curved and CDP was too lazy to make different shaped scabbards to go with them.I expect this to be one of the first things fixed by modders when the toolset is released.
Well i can inform you this was not the reason the scabbards were not implemented in final version.People here worked hard and over hours on this project so i think using word "lazy" is a bit inappropriate.

Eriash said:
Eriash said:
Because some swords are curved and CDP was too lazy to make different shaped scabbards to go with them.I expect this to be one of the first things fixed by modders when the toolset is released.
Well i can inform you this was not the reason the scabbards were not implemented in final version.People here worked hard and over hours on this project so i think using word "lazy" is a bit inappropriate.
I agree with Eriash very poor choice of words on Dragonsblood part ---------- even thou he has a right to his own opinions ------------ don't agree with him one bit about the reason he gave ======nor do I belieave that many or any others do either [glow=red,2,300]Happy Witching[/glow]

I must agree that Lazy is really far from the word to use. Looking at the product that has been released and, what they are making with it atm (EE) there is no laziness there. This is an aesthetic matter, what if they got some pressure to release the game on a thigh deadline but they had things that could have been game breaking that were not finished ? The choice is obvious ! That team have make something awesome for a first and starting from scratch. so please, think twice before saying such things :)

I didn't like the idea of removing the scabbards either, it looked a lot better with them, and honestly we all agree with that, I've talked about this in another thread; but calling them 'lazy' is a little over the edge.. if there's one thing they are definitely not, it's lazy.They are doing another version, this Enhanced Version, for, as they said themselves: "to meet the high standards of the global games market".. all I can say to them is: "That ship has sailed, you´ve already gone beyond the standards. Doing an yet better version will raise the bar even higher for other companies to compete".Before I saw The Witcher, I thought Crysis had set a new benchmark (and I don't like FPS, the only FPS I could ever play was Crysis), now, although it's the only FPS I can play, it looks just a "good game". I understand that you are entitled to your opinion of not liking the lack of scabbards (as I don´t either, it looks silly those "glued" swords)... but really.. "lazy"; I think you've misplaced your words here.

Daerdin said:
As far as my knowledge is concerned, the problem was, that Geralt can have different sizes and shapes of swords (steel ones). And it was a problem what to do with the scabbards - one for all the swords? Different for each sword - then where from should we get one? Think about that.BTW. I moved it to The Witcher category.
Thats easy, sell each sword with its appropiate scabbard/sheate. Regarding taking swords from enemies/from the floor, its a matter of looting the scabbard too, alas dont let the player get the sword from the floor unless he has the appropiate scabbard. Axes are a complete different story though, they can be hung form a standard hook, one for short weapons, one for large.I know there are worst things. But c'mon.Does anyone remember Highlander?

Highlander? Yeah, what about it? If my memory doesn't fail me, they didn't have scabbards if that's your point, but they carried their swords in hand, it didn't glue to their back automatically or floated beside them.. lol ... :D :D

ledgabriel said:
Highlander? Yeah, what about it? If my memory doesn't fail me, they didn't have scabbards if that's your point, but they carried their swords in hand, it didn't glue to their back automatically or floated beside them.. lol ... :D :D
Umm, you got it....NOT!!! ;) Only half way. :( Remember the intro from the series, when Duncan takes out his katana from inside his Black Leather Jacket. I still wonder if it was in a different dimension ala Ultraviolet or in another "hidden place". I mean Higlander was even worst than The Witcher game in sword handling. That's part of the mistery. How are they going to run and do all their stunts while carrying their swords in hand? No way an overall has a secret section that allows you to do that.

I didn't watch the series, only the movies; and Connor usually didn't carry his swords with him, he only took it when he had to "meet" someone.But in your case.. maybe the leather jacket had a built-in sheath on the inside?...no?... ;D ;D

ledgabriel said:
I didn't watch the series, only the movies; and Connor usually didn't carry his swords with him, he only took it when he had to "meet" someone.But in your case.. maybe the leather jacket had a built-in sheath on the inside?...no?... ;D ;D
UMmm, ::), Probably in the Posterior Side.

In real life, back scabbards are incredibly unwieldy with regards to drawing your longsword. Observe the following video (the video on the right)http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/weapons/sword.htmlWith that said, the devs did an excellent job because Geralt actually throws his swords out of his imaginary back scabbards and catches them on the way down (instead of holding onto them the entire time). I figure they realized pretty quickly that their motion capture model couldn't actually get the sword out like they were expecting :)

Thats true. Havent seen the video yet but the Movie Conan Is Another Good Example of That.Anyway wha't you just commented just confirms what's already the subject.They Did Designed the Game With Back Scabbards in Mind, then Removed them.Comment on First Video. After 13 secs Of Watching it I was thinking exactly what he said (Dunno If its you though) "The Only Way would be Metal Against Metal. And then the Logical elaboration on the consequences". The video just brought to my mind that scene on Gladiator when They are going to execute Maximus after a snow storm, he explains to the Praetorian how his scabbard sticks to his blade because of the climatic changes (humidity + temperature). On the Other Hand Hollywod is not the only to be blamed for that, you should blame Hong Kong for those exagerated noises too, you know a 1.5 lb. Chinese Sword sounding like a Halberd hitting a Gothic's Armor Helmet, Lmao.Very Good Video.I was thinking what if only the top of the scabbard was metal, the blunting effect would be the same but the rest wouldnt apply as much.Also, the woody effect is a little muddied when he draws his swords.P.S. Loved the viking sword.Comment on The Second Video:If you use it as an example of long swords is fine, now. His Video is Mistaken in the way he mades his point, altough he's right. Ninjas didn't used Katanas for their missions. I can't recall its name but ithe sword was straight and shorter than a regular katana, still not being a Wakisashi. Also, and that's where his main mistake was, They Didn't carried thier swords in the 75 to 115 degrees range but more in the 150-175 range, thus allowing them to use the elbow articulation along with the wrist to take out thier swords, again being shorter. Sayiing that, It's Illogical to carry a Longsword (Geralts Meteorite Swords are more close to Bastards Swords BTW) in that angle range. So yes your point is very true. For that you could easily design a mechanism to take out the sword by moving to one side instead of drawing it along its blade main axis, but what the heck the correct animations in the game are already done and now all that you need is the model.Also I was thinking, Regarding the fact that Geralt uses curved Steel swords: I don't see full sheates on those previous models that appear in the posted screenshots (get them in the main website). All That is there is a partial sheate, thats perfect for many straight sword sizes, and with little modificatio could adapt to curved ones, its leather for chirst sake. So now you know you won't fall onte the excuse the swords are curved and we cant make scabbards for that.

That's not me in the video, but I do own a Saber and a Katana and have taken fencing lessons so I have some idea of the mechanics of the craft :)

Ryom said:
In real life, back scabbards are incredibly unwieldy with regards to drawing your longsword. Observe the following video (the video on the right)http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/weapons/sword.htmlWith that said, the devs did an excellent job because Geralt actually throws his swords out of his imaginary back scabbards and catches them on the way down (instead of holding onto them the entire time). I figure they realized pretty quickly that their motion capture model couldn't actually get the sword out like they were expecting :)
Those are great videos! Really amusing as well as informative.However... from experience I can draw a longsword with a 90cm blade from a back scabbard, provided the scabbard is able to pivot from the shoulder. Also, to draw with the right hand the sword has to be over your left shoulder (and presumably vice versa). I think Geralt's cross-over harness is probably actually impossible, however. And longer blades than 90cm would probably be impossible, too - I'm 1m 90 tall, and I definitely couldn't draw a 1m blade; so Geralt's steel sword is probably impossible.to draw.

SimonBrooke said:
And longer blades than 90cm would probably be impossible, too - I'm 1m 90 tall, and I definitely couldn't draw a 1m blade; so Geralt's steel sword is probably impossible.to draw.
Yes, but as Ryom also pointed out, Geralt does't exactly draw his sword in a "normal style", if you look close you'll see he throws it out of the scabbard by giving it a good push and then catches it (which I agree, the devs did an amazing job with that). I'm not saying it would be something easy for someone to do, but it's also not that unreal, with a good training (and I imagine he's had a little.. lol..) I believe one could manage it without a problem... and after you watch Cirque du Soleil a little bit, you'll see that's definetly not that unrealistic..lol ;D

Yea, but I definitely would not want to try that "catch a sword on the way down" maneuver too many times. Geralt is gonna lose an ear one of these days ;D

Ryom said:
Yea, but I definitely would not want to try that "catch a sword on the way down" maneuver too many times. Geralt is gonna lose an ear one of these days ;D
C'mon. The Guy's a Witcher he can do it while he's drunk and fighting archispores.

Top Bottom