Sword Scabbards or no?

+
I think that scabbards would be great, otherwise it looks like there floating on your back with nothing holding them there...

I've got the perfect solution to this. Just make it so that Geralt has to carry both swords in his hands all the time. No scabbards needed! Sure, it might be hard having to set down one sword while fighting enemies, and scratching and going to the bathroom will be tricky, but it'll solve this whole problem.

Poeple in the trade quarter of Vizima have an uneasy feeling when they see Geralt with both swords on his back. If he carries both swords they get scared and the townguards may arrest him ;D

If they didn't take scabbards out cause some swords are curved then I am curious why they were actually cut. Jeralt even goes through the animation like others said of seemingly sheathing his sword. This along with walking would probably be great additions to enhance immersion in a future patch.

lostami said:
I think that scabbards would be great, otherwise it looks like there floating on your back with nothing holding them there...
Invisible sword sheaths. I tell you, it fixes everything! In a world where Triss can conjure up a portal to teleport to wherever she wants to go, when Azar Javed can make fire out of nothing, when Geralt himself can knock down walls and take over the minds of lesser creatures, a little thing like invisible sword sheaths should be no problem.

Hello, i dont speak english so I dont know how that word says (in spanish is "Vaina para la espada"). Well, Geralt put his swords in his back but in some screenshots I saw that the armor has a pod like in this screenshot:
There are some mod to do that?? (Look where his swords are save).

I think it's called scabbard in english (but to kill me I wouldn't even know how it's called in my native tongue). I'd really like to see those and not just magically hangin swords on his back.

It is indeed called a scabbard, and I believe they were left out due to animation clipping issues. The swords would 'pop' out while moving, and it wouldn't look right.~ Roxy

i hope you understand what it will take to make scabbards for all swords. for a modder its a nightmare! -first you obviously have to make scabbard models and textures-incorporate scabbard to armor model because its not a seperate part of the modelthis means dozens and dozens of combinations. 5 armors, 14 sword models = 70 armor models, this means 70x geralt with armor models-deal with clipping issues-make a script which auto-change geralt model, every time he change a sword.-change god knows how many files in game responsible for geralt model in cutscenes and multiply it by number of models with scabbards.you are right, its possible but only for this eye-candy you'd need a dedicated team of modders working full time for couple weeks.oh, and i can imagine how after introducing such mod/patch people would demand scabbards for all swords everywhere, not just on geralt's back. someone is going to pay for this?btw, allow me a little offtopic
Corylea said:
Geralt himself can take over the minds of lesser creatures
in books axii is a minor sign used to calm down anxious and nervous animals. geralt often mark his horse with it. no way it could control mind of anything.

Wow this thread is still alive.In response to the "lazy" comment I made last year, I apologize (better late than never). I know I came across as hateful, but truthfully it was just written out of frustration. The Witcher is one of my favorite RPGs, and it pains me to see blemishes that prevent it from being the masterpiece that it could be, especially when the reasons for the flaws' existence seems frivolous (at least to my ignorant, non game designer eyes).And I'm not being sarcastic when I write thank you CDP for releasing the super patch (even though even it didn't fix the missing scabbard problem ;p ).

I know someone posted a video in this thread of a guy showing how hard it is to get a sword out of a scabbard on your back. My girlfriend actually pointed out to me after reading The Last Wish (she loved it) that it mentions in at least one fight scene in there that he has a certain way of moving his body...bending over a certain way to make it "pop" out. Doesn't have any bearing on how easy it is to put scabbards in the game, just thought it was something to bear in mind.

RogueRoxy said:
It is indeed called a scabbard, and I believe they were left out due to animation clipping issues. The swords would 'pop' out while moving, and it wouldn't look right.~ Roxy
I agree. If there's anything this game's graphic engine does sloppily, it's clipping. You can see it in a number of examples, eg. Geralt eating a piece of mutton, opened doors sticking through characters, opponents getting Aarded into furniture, etc.

i asked Red on Polish section about scabbards few days ago. i asked if they could make geralt armor with scabbard models accessible. so far there's one Red reply that these models are few iterations older geralt models and for the moment they dont have proper files to make them public. at the end of the post there's usual "this (scabbards) can be done again, the other way around without editing geralt models". i asked about details but no reply yet and i'm afraid the topic will die like other scabbard topics.my idea was to do this nightmarish job i described:
flashintheflesh said:
i hope you understand what it will take to make scabbards for all swords. for a modder its a nightmare! -first you obviously have to make scabbard models and textures-incorporate scabbard to armor model because its not a seperate part of the modelthis means dozens and dozens of combinations. 5 armors, 14 sword models = 70 armor models, this means 70x geralt with armor models-deal with clipping issues-make a script which auto-change geralt model, every time he change a sword.-change god knows how many files in game responsible for geralt model in cutscenes and multiply it by number of models with scabbards.
i hope you guys and gals can also make a pressure on Reds in this matter. in neverwinter nights, bioware when asked about some features kept repeating that its impossible to implement and few months later community done it. i can work on this issue but i need something to begin with, i'm not experienced enough to start from the scratch. i need an example to follow.

Bioware loves to claim that things can't be done as their reason for not doing them. They get combative and act narrow-minded when something proves challenging to implement.Anyway, the interesting thing about stuff of that nature is that when someone finally does one of those little things that gamers want (like the modders making cloaks or horses or scabbards) it gets little attention. (Oblivion did scabbards right and they didn't make a big deal of it. They also did stealthing and looting in people's homes the right way; and yet the thing they trumpeted as a good feature was the 'Radiant AI' and how the characters walked around the map to simulate their daily lives.)Witcher gets swordplay combat animations right: has any other medieval fantasy RPG mo-capped real medieval fighting before? It's one of the coolest things about the game. And yet is wasn't touted as a feature, as far as I know. Somehow the atavistic 'point and click to chain attacks' was.Medieval fighting motion capture is one of the things other Sword and Sorcery games should adopt as conventional-- like scabbards and NPCs who get upset when you steal from them. And yeah, a big ol' 2-hander might be next to impossible to draw from the back with a typical sheath. (Oblivion gets around this by making only the one-handers on the hip have sheaths while the 2-handers are naked on the back, since the blade would be longer than the arm drawing it.) Perhaps an attempt at overcoming that problem is what appears in the early Witcher screens-- more of a sock instead of a full sheath, which could be doable if the 'sock' had physics that let it bend to the side and the whole affair was motion-captured.One-handed, though, that could be done from the back with a sheath, I would imagine, without much problem. Check out Mr. Basement Ninja at 3:30:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMaHqwE2b1s

The silver sword has a reserved space in the geralt's back... so the witcher iron sword can has it too. The other model of iron swords can be used only in his waist. In this way, the Scabbards can be implemented only modify a little number of models. (anyway, in the cinematics Geralt always has the same witcher standard swords .... even if in the real game he had a Sable for example).Sorry for my bad english.

Top Bottom