Syndicate is such a cheating faction. Make a card that can mess with their coins please!!

+
Hey guys,
I know this has been mentioned before but I believe I need to stress this again. I'm a casual Gwent player , no pro or something like that. But I just lost a game where Syndicate did 52 points with last say in one card. Did everyhing I could, collected 9 coins with assimilate, got Savolla out with tribute, every card did max value.
Well I lost anyway with 8 points. So I will say that this whole faction design is such a mess. I can live with all the other bullshit, Milva or Vyy, but this coin crap is just over the top. CDPR please make a neutral card that can mess with coins on the opponent side. I would really run this card all the time.

Technically SY is fine, but this one card (King of Beggars) has made it so they are without a doubt the most OP faction at the moment. I've mentioned it before but you shouldn't be able to trigger his whole coin counter in one turn, if it was limited to 3 or less, perhaps it would be balanced.

It's kind of funny how my rating sky rocketed this season when I dropped devotion basically just to switch out bank with royal decree to guarantee Savolla, since win or lose depends so heavily on the Savolla+KoB combo.

Technically SY is fine, but this one card (King of Beggars) has made it so they are without a doubt the most OP faction at the moment. I've mentioned it before but you shouldn't be able to trigger his whole coin counter in one turn, if it was limited to 3 or less, perhaps it would be balanced.

It's kind of funny how my rating sky rocketed this season when I dropped devotion basically just to switch out bank with royal decree to guarantee Savolla, since win or lose depends so heavily on the Savolla+KoB combo.
Politely disagree. The problem runs deeper than that.

The whole "variable tempo on command" idea of SY is extremely unfair at its core, because they effectively get to do more actions in a single turn without any penalty to value or common risks associated with conventional engines/order cards (incidentally, it's also the main issue with Milva/GT interaction) because most spenders work immediately and without any limitations outside of coins, which are really easy to accumulate as of now, so they aren't really a proper limiter either anymore.

The whole "but it's hard to pilot" argument people use is also honestly ridiculous, as even first-graders can add single-digit numbers.

SY should either have slightly lower-than-average point evaluation on their cards - as a tradeoff for their cheat-like flexibility/precision, or get a massive restraining bolt on spenders. Could be hard cooldown, could be some new tag that increases the cost of every consequent spender tap by 1 after some fine-free clicks(for example 1 for Jackals, 3 for Freakshow and 5 for Executioners) and resets at the start of your turn.

Upd: another problem is that SY is still being balanced as if 1 coin translated to 1 point, which hasn't been true for a year at least. It's 1.5 on Jackals, 2 on Philippa, and 1...3 on Freakshow, depending on the value threat of the cards you remove. Compare Mutant Makers to Conqs, for example. On paper, both are 7 for 4 with Devotion, but 3 coins translate to 4.5 value on average, so MM is 1.5 points above the curve, and these points are more flexible, too.

Upd 2: alternatively, coins should be made attackable in some way. Maybe as a designated "storage" unit, always present on your board. It suffers 3 damage, the player loses -3 coins. Sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
Politely disagree. The problem runs deeper than that.

The whole "variable tempo on command" idea of SY is extremely unfair at its core, because they effectively get to do more actions in a single turn without any penalty to value or common risks associated with conventional engines/order cards (incidentally, it's also the main issue with Milva/GT interaction) because most spenders work immediately and without any limitations outside of coins, which are really easy to accumulate as of now, so they aren't really a proper limiter either anymore.

The whole "but it's hard to pilot" argument people use is also honestly ridiculous, as even first-graders can add single-digit numbers.

SY should either have slightly lower-than-average point evaluation on their cards - as a tradeoff for their cheat-like flexibility/precision, or get a massive restraining bolt on spenders. Could be hard cooldown, could be some new tag that increases the cost of every consequent spender tap by 1 after some fine-free clicks(for example 1 for Jackals, 3 for Freakshow and 5 for Executioners) and resets at the start of your turn.

Upd: another problem is that SY is still being balanced as if 1 coin translated to 1 point, which hasn't been true for a year at least. It's 1.5 on Jackals, 2 on Philippa, and 1...3 on Freakshow, depending on the value threat of the cards you remove. Compare Mutant Makers to Conqs, for example. On paper, both are 7 for 4 with Devotion, but 3 coins translate to 4.5 value on average, so MM is 1.5 points above the curve, and these points are more flexible, too.

Upd 2: alternatively, coins should be made attackable in some way. Maybe as a designated "storage" unit, always present on your board. It suffers 3 damage, the player loses -3 coins. Sounds reasonable.
I agree with a lot of what you said about the mechanic of coins in itself. I have sometimes considered lowering the max amount, but that would become a problem for the costly tributes, perhaps your idea of attacking coins would be the way to go. More than anything, I think it is unfair that you get to carry it over to the next round, well, half anyways, I think that should be removed completely.

What I was getting at in my post was more about the power-level of the faction, without KoB SY could never be considered the most OP faction in the current state of the game.

I will say I disagree on your point about SY not being difficult to pilot, though. It takes a lot of planning on higher levels precisely due to the coin mechanic.

Technically SY is fine,
I'm sorry but I disagree.
If you look at the archetypes of each faction, you'll see that some of them are very good at doing certain things, like removal or boosting while being weaker at others. This is true for all the factions, except for Syndicate.
With coins SY can practically do all the things that the other faction are able to do. Now that coins are easier to get than ever before, Syndicate has become very strong, but more importantly very difficult to deal with.
All this is possible because of the coins.

Hello everyone

I have registered for a similiar problem.
I must disagree. Technically SY is unbalanced, but Nilfgaard is much more unbalanced.
Cahir, Jennefer, Double Cross plus re-enable leader ability. This is a joke…
Whenever you play a SY deck you have to sacrifice turns for profit, there are a lots of holes in your round between turns because you have to gain coins.

Universal deck/faction/LA doesnt exist…

Hello everyone

I have registered for a similiar problem.
I must disagree. Technically SY is unbalanced, but Nilfgaard is much more unbalanced.
Cahir, Jennefer, Double Cross plus re-enable leader ability. This is a joke…
Whenever you play a SY deck you have to sacrifice turns for profit, there are a lots of holes in your round between turns because you have to gain coins.

Universal deck/faction/LA doesnt exist…
Agree. Cahir, Jennefer, Double Cross need rework, at least give them Devotion. Them + neutral cards is total mess.

Top Bottom