SYNDICATE mechanics are OP and NR patch is not good enough

+
Not really. Foltest is definitely the strongest NR leader. If well played most decks, including counter NG, are going to lose. If the same happens now for all factions the next month are going to be boring as hell.

Nevertheless, I hope Foltest and DJ receive a nerf end of season, which leads to more competive variety.

Let`s hope for the best :oops:

I think once all the factions are reworked it will make the game allot better and smooth out allot of the roughness, but ya some sort of change will be needed to keep Foltest and DJ from being the more or less default best leaders for their factions.

Call me crazy, but I think Foltest is not THAT bad in NR, like Meve and Calanthe still see play so its not like DJ where he utterly dominates all other leaders in his faction, so I think a small nerf could bring him more in line. I think returning him to only boosting units by 1 rather then 2 would be small enough that it would not brake what makes him a fun leader to play, while also reducing his effectiveness in a couple of key ways. It would make Seltkirk and Prince less strong, it would allow for Blue Stripes to be more easily lined up for a Igni and it would remove 3 points from the deck, which while a small reduction, could make him just a tiny bit less auto picked as a leader.

DJ is another story, he makes more coins then the rest of SY, he can spend them more efficiently since he takes them out one at a time and he allows Townsfolk and Igor to pop off utterly absurd combos that while not the best version of the deck, are none the less INCREDIBLY unfun to play against! He needs a proper change, both to keep him from being just about the only SY leader to see any play and to feel less oppressive in the meta, leading to the rise of Usurper in response.

One idea McBeard threw out on a stream which I thought was pretty good was just simply have him start at 0 charges. Having to play ALLOT more crime cards to be 'better Gudrun' and reducing the amount of power that could go into the Townsfolk combo is pretty solid, but I have another idea myself that I think could also work well... Change his leader ability from, "Spend 1 charge to gain 1 coin" to "Spend ALL charges, gain 1 coin for each." Basically make it so he can't save more then 9 charges without just wasting coins and insure that he can't just carefully withdraw the exact number of coins he needs while saving bank for later rounds. When DJ hits his leader ability, that's it, all charges are now gone in one move and he'll need to play more cards to get more coins for later!

This effectively kills the Townsfolk super combo, while still allowing DJ to pull off a minor version of it since spending a crime card and the using his leader charge to gain a coin is effectly a +2 boost to all Townsfolk which could still be an alright minor combo. Plus it still makes him a very powerful SY leader since he starts with the ability to generate 5 coins and can, over the coarse of a game, make more coins then any of the other leaders, just without the massive added bonus of making those coins hyper efficient by withdrawing only the amount he needs at any given time.

And while I am at it, let me also throw out a suggestion for how to fix the most aggravating card in SY. Witch Hunter Executioner is STUPID strong at 5P! He can kill every bounty target on the board in one turn if he has enough coins which can make him a 15+ point card for 5 provisions, WITH a profit of +2 coins when played AND the backup ability to cause bleeding so he's never losing value! He's a card that can be a MASSIVE power play, but lacks any sort of draw back for if you can't set him up properly to balance that out. So I say, cut out the bleeding ability, make it so he's actually capable of not always being a winner AND change his ability to, "Fee 2: Damage a unit with Bounty by 2". That will make it so he can actually over spend killing targets and has at least some chance of running out of steam before he can effectively wipe the board.

I donno, I feel like these 3 changes to Foltest, DJ and Witch Hunter Executioner could tone down ALLOT of the most aggravating parts of the current meta while also leaving them playable. Then with Foltest and DJ seeing a bit less play, Usurper would fall off in popularity as he always does when theirs not as many key leader abilities to target and things would hopefully get a little more diverse. And without WHE steam rolling people, SY would feel allot more like a properly balanced and fun faction to play against since most of the rest of what they do is fine outside of the keyboard smashing frustration of watching the long, slow machine gunning of your board.

i'll just copy my post here because it's mostly about NR/SY. And with small tweaks to portal and tourney joust actually a decently sized change to NG.

Main problems with the game right now:
- addition of way too strong cards, they were working on getting bronzes better and a bit closer in value to golds, meanwhile adding Keira (should be more expensive, 12p sounds fine), Bloody Baron (should have 5str body), Roche: Merciless (should not have order at all, make NR work for that deathblow), Falibor (12p)

- bounty should be nerfed BY HALF, in it's current state it makes all tall decks unplayable, witch hunter and slander are ridiculous 4p cards, yes you will have to change Menge again but who cares. OR make those cards more expensive, 6p maybe even 7p, then actually running some purify or card transforming abilities makes sense, right now most purify cards are 4 str for 5p, so you are instantly losing 1p on top of having useless cards in many situations

- portal should be more expensive, 14p maybe 15p, 4 drops got stronger, thinning got cheaper so you won't brick it as often, also this is probably the most rng dependent card right now, just because it's so much better in round 1

- summoning circle should be more expensive, 10p, same reason - cheap cards got stronger

- tourney joust should go back to it's previous state of damaging/buffing by 3

- OP leaders: Foltest should go back to buffing by 1, and probably lose some provisions
Dijkstra should be starting with 0-2 coins (not sure), he should never be able to give you more than 8 points, we already know that being able to use singular points whenever you need them is very strong/flexible
Calanthes current ability is ridiculous, i don't have a solid fix in mind atm

What else guys? Keeping fingers crossed for some good changes next patch

I like the idea of bounty, all MO could use is some good purify cards. We have to expect that to be the case in the future, and for this reason im kinda perplexed about the idea of nerfing it now, as it will definitely need to be reverted back at some point.

As developers dont seem to be on point by buffing other factions/leaders when obviously needed, where we would probably need to see atleast 6 months of content, before there are any significant changes, I'm strongly against nerfing bounty. Besides, 4 removal options is just fine as it is conditional unlike Borsodi.

I like the idea of bounty, all MO could use is some good purify cards. We have to expect that to be the case in the future, and for this reason im kinda perplexed about the idea of nerfing it now, as it will definitely need to be reverted back at some point.

As developers dont seem to be on point by buffing other factions/leaders when obviously needed, where we would probably need to see atleast 6 months of content, before there are any significant changes, I'm strongly against nerfing bounty. Besides, 4 removal options is just fine as it is conditional unlike Borsodi.
so you are fine with your 4p cards having up to 13 value? and basically never less than 8 if status stays, and you have 4 of them... ridiculous
purify is expensive, also there is menge so you can place multiple bounties at the same time, gl clearing that
it needs to get nerfed, and nerfed heavily

so you are fine with your 4p cards having up to 13 value? and basically never less than 8 if status stays, and you have 4 of them... ridiculous
purify is expensive, also there is menge so you can place multiple bounties at the same time, gl clearing that
Don't even bother...

About Bounty - I liked the idea of every next ping costing one extra coin. At least for the Bronzes, thus familiar Golds will have actual advantage over their inferiors.

I realy dont see a problem, there are some good cards already are in the game, such as Kalkstein and coodcoodak. NR also has a cursed knight package. MO doesen't have none of that, except for lady of the night, which doesent seem to be sufficient as it is a single purify. Besides, if you nerf Ewald to the ground, i bet all my money on that Bounty will become a tier 3 deck. Besides, the only thing you have to worry about is 2 excecutioner's, of which one is likely to be played during round 1, if the opponent has to win, which leaves you only 1 to worry about. I mean, a faction that can conditionally remove 4 units seems weak.

So if you want to see progress, without making an archetype unplayable, start with Ewald. Or give a good purify cards to other factions.

Im sorry but you didnt specify what deck exactly are you using.

Lately i've been facing more Usurpers with Shupe, i've struggled a bit against those, they always seem to have the perfect Shupe ability to counter whatever im trying to do.

And NR has so many powerful decks its hard to keep track. There's the Calanthe double Portal, Calanthe boost engines (similar to Move engines), the "good ol" Foltest Blue Stripes, etc.

It is a Foltest deck with summoning units, making copies, summoning more and turning them all into the same unit. With a lot of spicy cards to remove pesky enemy units, plus I have a combo start if I go first that has made me win round one every single time in just a few card draws because I go so far ahead so quickly - top secret game plan :)

Don't even bother...

About Bounty - I liked the idea of every next ping costing one extra coin. At least for the Bronzes, thus familiar Golds will have actual advantage over their inferiors.
If those 1 point pings cost 2 coins the cards using them become completely useless.
The entire faction is designed around coins being worth about 1 point.
The start should be the Bounty givers.

Most are designed around Bounty being worth 3 points, even by that standard Witch Hunter is a 7 point 4 provision card, which is breaking the up to 6 standard points for non-engine 4 provision cards.

Bounty should be worth around 4 points, given that they on average (from my experience) end up clinging on 3-4 point units, however can reach higher.
So all Bounty cards have to be nerfed by 1 point/provision, except Witch Hunter, which has to be nerfed by 2 points/provisions, at the very least (if one assumes it should be a "6 for 4" it has to be nerfed by 2, otherwise even more).

As for Igor, I am quite sure we can/should all agree that Townsfolk is the problem, an engine that gives one that many points for being 2 points below provision cost and gains those points by gradually becoming more difficult to deal with, while being designed to exploit a leader (gaining 6+ coins is one thing, getting them AND 6+ free points on an engine without risk is problematic).
Igor Townsfolk is a problem, however the obviously broken card is Townsfolk and even without Igor that card is toxic.
Townsfolk shoud be completely redesigned or somehow be limited to gaining 1 or 2 points per turn (stopping to gain points after those).

Last edited:
Bounty is hard to balance though: if the unit is already lowered in power, you get more value for the bounty than what you spend. If a unit is boosted on the other hand, it's harder to get value from it.
The 4p giving bountys are nice, but slow tempo.
One solution could be to limit the number of bounties one can place. Avoid clearing the whole board in 1 turn.

For Igor/Townfolk i kind of disagree though. Townfolk is good, although it could be row locked, but he becomes a problem when combined with Igor and/or Dijkstra. Igor should have a cooldown like Menge. It's unreasonable to be able to make 3, 4, 7 copies of a unit in one turn... And that's the problem with actual townfolk/DJ decks. One or 2 townfolks are possibly handled. For example, I was fighting this deck and had Yrden in hand for last play, with card advantage. The opposing player played Igor on the other row (since townfolk is not row locked), using his 3298 charges to fill the row of every time selfboosting townfolks. And then it doesn't matter if you have the last say, Yrden, Igni, Regis, Schirru or whatever because if the guy just plays well enough, not 2 townfolks will have the same power and be split on the 2 rows

Bounty is hard to balance though: if the unit is already lowered in power, you get more value for the bounty than what you spend. If a unit is boosted on the other hand, it's harder to get value from it.
The 4p giving bountys are nice, but slow tempo.
One solution could be to limit the number of bounties one can place. Avoid clearing the whole board in 1 turn.

For Igor/Townfolk i kind of disagree though. Townfolk is good, although it could be row locked, but he becomes a problem when combined with Igor and/or Dijkstra. Igor should have a cooldown like Menge. It's unreasonable to be able to make 3, 4, 7 copies of a unit in one turn... And that's the problem with actual townfolk/DJ decks. One or 2 townfolks are possibly handled. For example, I was fighting this deck and had Yrden in hand for last play, with card advantage. The opposing player played Igor on the other row (since townfolk is not row locked), using his 3298 charges to fill the row of every time selfboosting townfolks. And then it doesn't matter if you have the last say, Yrden, Igni, Regis, Schirru or whatever because if the guy just plays well enough, not 2 townfolks will have the same power and be split on the 2 rows
An option would be to add the bounty reward at the end of the turn, in that case one does not have an arbitrary condition on the number of bounties and cannot chain them.
Also I understand that Igor breaks Townsfolk, however the card is inherently designed to exploit the wording on a leader and too easy to achieve a lot of value with, I am not saying Igor should not be changed, however that Townsfolk is not as innocent as some people state.

An option would be to add the bounty reward at the end of the turn, in that case one does not have an arbitrary condition on the number of bounties and cannot chain them.
Also I understand that Igor breaks Townsfolk, however the card is inherently designed to exploit the wording on a leader and too easy to achieve a lot of value with, I am not saying Igor should not be changed, however that Townsfolk is not as innocent as some people state.
The bounty option would work well yes.

For townsfolk again, they were here before DJ. DJ is the pb... It's kinda like when Eithne could do as many 1 ping as Adda did 8 in on time. Now the same has been made with DJ and Gudrun.
They're more or less based on the same design as those: whenever you play deploy/order/damage, boost self. But 6p.
Before DJ, townfolk was not really a pb, until people started duplicating all the bronzes with Igor to realize this one was one of the best

Finally, there are various Woodland/Calanthe unitless decks with Scorch/Epidemic that play as many units in the first round, in order to play as few in the last round and just clear the board with a well-timed Scorch-like effect. Not the most fun to play against, but it still requires a surprising amount of thought to properly play it yourself.

lol at the unitless nonsense. I said when they made a unit cap that it wasn't a good change and unitless would still exist and here they are. I've said since the beginning that artifacts are the problem and need to be taken out completely.

Top Bottom