tablet games

+

Forum veteran
I haven't played Chaos Rings 2 (it's sitting on my phone, but I'll get around to it someday), but I can vouch for the quality of the first two Chaos Rings games. Wikipedia says that they're all on both iOS and Android. A bit expensive, but they're sometimes on sale for half off.

They're a bit streamlined, but nonetheless reminiscent of the good old jRPGs.

Yeah, saw that some time back, but I dunno, I just like non-committal time kills with tablet games, nothing serious.

Actually, there was this strategy game I ran into some time back, it had anime looking characters and mech combat, it reminded me of Advanced Wars, can't remember the name of it.

Is this is when I admit to being a Sudoku addict on the tablet/phone?

Or maybe not.

Thanks for the suggestions, I need something new. Desperately.

Forum veteran
Actually, there was this strategy game I ran into some time back, it had anime looking characters and mech combat, it reminded me of Advanced Wars, can't remember the name of it.
The War of Eustrath, perhaps?

I wouldn't recommend it if that's what you're thinking of, and that's coming from a huge turn-based strategy fan. It gets really repetitive, the characters are poorly written, the dialogue is basically at the level of text messages, and there's this incredibly annoying bell song that plays before every single chapter. At least, every chapter up until 15, which is where I threw in the towel. Too annoying.

If you know of another game that looks like Advance Wars, though, you must remember the name.

Edit:

For a non-committal time waster, try Birzzle. Non-committal is kind of misleading, though, because Birzzle is more than a game. Birzzle is an obsession. "Oh, cartoon birds could never make me react with explosive anger," you say, and yet they do. Those little cartoon birds will reach inside of your soul and strangle your very essence, refusing to relent until you've beaten your best score, and when you finally do? They give you a medal that's far below what you deserve, as though to mock your efforts. It's an obsession. It's a sickness. It's a game about a bunch of square cartoon birds who think they're better than you because they stack well. I refuse to open the app for fear of losing entire days of my life to its inexorable pull, because it exerts some kind of physics-defying gravity that pulls you in and forces you to stick with it. In summary, don't download Birzzle. But do.

(It looks like they started charging for the iOS versions, but the Android version seems to be free.)

Have you heard of Static Sky?

Its not out yet but it looks like a really good cyberpunk game

Here's the website link

http://framebunker.com/blog/

Haha, 227, I would imagine someone who goes by "penguin overlord" would be able to keep a handle on not letting bird-based games get to them. Birzzle is installing as I type, thanks. And you're right, it was War of Eustrath.

But you know, simplistic prose has its own complexity because it compels you to think of the thought processes which occurred prior to it conception, kinda marvelous, actually. However, I now remember not buying War of Whatever because it seemed too anime-ized for my taste.

I don't mind anime-style games when they're on the DS or something similar, but tablet ones, well, you just know that they're going to be lacking.

dragonbird: yes, please indulge all your secrets to us, what could go wrong?

8 bit: thanks for the suggestion, I'll look out for it.

So I found some more fun games:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.azoriankings.td Azorian Kings. It's a fun, and a tad buggy, strategy game, I'm enjoying it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wittig.triadchess Triad Chess

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hg.cyberlordsfree&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmhnLmN5YmVybG9yZHNmcmVlIl0. Cyberlords Arcology

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.LevelZeroGames.NetGainStoryEngine&feature=also_installed Net Gain

edit: what the hell is Birzzle!? How can something so cute make me want to retch? These birds keep coming- how do I stop!? Why should I stop?

Oh, and here's my favorite endless game: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ninjatown-trees-of-doom!/id369997638?mt=8 Ninja Town Trees of Doom

Forum veteran
*Voodoo resurrect*

A bunch of paid iOS games and apps are free right now. I don't know if they're good, and you can't trust the user ratings because apps often bribe people into giving 5-star ratings, but they're probably worth the risk since they're free (for a limited time, which is annoyingly non-specific).

Here's a post I found that lists what's free right now: linkadink

isabel12

I like to play online games many games which i want to play but one of them which i mostly play is Street Fighter X Tekken it is the fighting game that's why fans of these historic franchises have been waiting for.

Forum veteran
This thread is dead, but dead things need love, too. Just ask necrophiliacs.

Anyway, there's this awesome Android game called Tales of Illyria that I found, and it's better than 99% of other games because it's an awesome mix of King of Dragon Pass, Oregon Trail, and old-time jRPGs. You have set characters who you pick up through traveling, and you can level them up however you want; knights can shoot lightning, mages can fight at the front lines, etcetera. You have to pay for everything (with in-game money; there are no microtransactions whatsoever), though, so it becomes a battle of resource management because you're traveling a lot between areas, and this is done in an Oregon trail kind of way:

You can even get dysentery (and a bunch of other illnesses and injuries), which is what everyone always dies of when I play Oregon Trail. Anyway, there are different seasons, and you consume a certain amount of food and water per day. You can hunt for food on the road by tapping on animals, but—and this is my favorite part—there are a bunch of Baldur's Gate-esque "checks" where you have a randomized chance of succeeding at things, with the chance being greater the better your skill is. For hunting, you can level up your skill by paying money to learn from hunters, or have it leveled up by certain random events. There are a ton of skills, though: persuasion, sneaking ability, discernment, hunting, engineering, and a bunch of others. It makes the game feel really deep and RPG-ish, especially when you factor those skills into the random events that happen:

When you're traveling from one place to another, there's a good chance that something will happen along the way. Midway through your travels, you'll hear a scream or find a cave or be ambushed by bandits (or have the chance to strike them first if your discernment is high enough). A lot of times you'll be given several options for how to respond to the things that are happening, and this affects your alignment, your party members' opinions of you (because they all have their own individual personalities), your available gold and resources, and even future random events.

It's called "episode one" for some reason on the developer's site, but the game's a complete, stand-alone experience. I think they use that to show that they're working on more games in that universe (a sequel has been announced), even though the game's not really episodic.

The writing is imaginative and evocative, the game's easily longer than KoDP (something like 20 hours minimum, if I had to guess, and you can play differently to get different encounters and reactions), and the art has this nice "digital painting" look to it. Best 5 bucks I've ever spent in an app store, period.

I have what I believe is a great idea for a game, that could be played on a browser, on a tablet, even on a phone. It has the potential to be extremely simple, yet I believe it has the potential to be complex and fun. The core idea of it is that each game has two sides, but either side can have an immense amount of people working towards victory, and the more you work, the more you gain points/experience or whatever. It would combine competition with being a part of a team, and it'd be simple enough to play for a couple minutes at a time. Kind of like in the vein of Utopia and other such browser games, except much simpler, tablet-friendly, and much more arcade-like.

Now all I need is people who can code it, people who can make the graphics, and money to do all that and run the servers. That'll be the next big Finnish game. I know it! :cool:

Forum veteran
Did anyone try Tales of Illyria?

They just released the "Enhanced Edition" version 3.0 for previous owners for free (sound familiar?), full of new content and rebalancing, and the game is apparently going to go on sale sometime soon. All of this in preparation for the sequel, which is coming on the 26th.

The people who work on the game seem pretty relaxed and CDPRish, which is cool. The game itself has a Steam Greenlight page in need of love, so all you PC master race people should take my word for it and vote like the wind. Probably also worth it to find them on Facebook and Twitter and hassle them until they consider releasing on GOG.

Top Bottom