Tablet

+
Amazon.de actually has the black one 10€ cheaper than the white one.

Can one install Sailfish on a Nexus and then still revert to Android if something doesn't work?

That is for 32GB, the 16GB is much more expensive for some reason. Realized that, after I wrote. Well there is worse things that getting more GB for less money.

Amazon.de actually has the black one 10€ cheaper than the white one.

Can one install Sailfish on a Nexus and then still revert to Android if something doesn't work?

I never tried installing default Android which comes with Nexus 7, but I installed Cyanogen Mod on it (which is basically stock Android without Google applications, but you can still install them there if you need them). It should be doable. I even played around with KDE Plasma Active on the older Tegra based Asus Nexus 7.

Usually installing Cyanogen Mod is done by installing Clockwork Mod recovery image, which allows flashing OS images onto existing filesystem simply sending them from your computer using adb tool (while device is attached with the USB cable). Sailfish + libhybris is installed the same way, but early Plasma Active installation was a more complicated process.

Cyanogen Mod has a good wiki which covers its installation: https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Devices

Basically you can clear partitions which will wipe your Sailfish installation on Nexus 7 and then install Cyanogen Mod. I suppose there should be also a way to install the default Android image.

Just for the reference, Sailfish which is coming with Jolla tablet will be version 2.0, while current Nexus images are still 1.x.

---------- Updated at 08:07 PM ----------

Also, Sailfish community is very helpful, and for various hardware adaptations you can use #sailfishos-porters on irc.freenode.net. I asked many questions there.

Last edited:
Just bought the Nexus 9 32GB black for 249€ at Conrad. Online it is about 130€ more expensive for some unknown reason. Was really surprised, since the display said 349€, but when he put it into the machine he said the price is wrong. For that price, I couldn't say no, nor hesitate. No I will try it for the next couple of days, before deciding and buying case, screen protection and possibly keyboard and/or stylo.
Thanks for the tips! We'll see, maybe the Jolla in the future.

Edit: And by the way how do you pronounce that? Joe-Lah? Hoe-Jah? Hoh-lah? Hoh-Jah? Oh and "Joya" means jewel in Spanish.

The meaning of the name also humorously hints to the fact that many of Jolla co-founders came from Nokia. In 2010, Nokia decided (under the "wise" leadership of ex-MS manager Stephen Elop) to kill their Meego Linux project. At that point Elop released the infamous "Burning platform memo", where he basically said that Nokia is burning and they need to switch to Windows Phone to survive (which later proved to be a disastrous idea for them). That's when many who worked on Linux projects have left Nokia (and some of them founded Jolla). So jolla / dinghy hints to an escape boat from the burning platform (which was actually burning because of Elop) ;)

Some even illustrated this idea:

Last edited:
Is there a new Jolla smartphone coming out anytime soon? I want to stop using Android but currently there are handsets with much better hardware for the price of the Jolla.

Is there a new Jolla smartphone coming out anytime soon? I want to stop using Android but currently there are handsets with much better hardware for the price of the Jolla.

They didn't promise anything so far, but said it's possible. If you need something right now, you probably shouldn't wait for it. That's why I bought Nexus 5 to run Sailfish on it. There is a new Nexus 5 coming out soon by the way.

Last edited:
They didn't promise anything so far, but said it's possible. If you need something right now, you probably shouldn't wait for it. That's why I bought Nexus 5 to run Sailfish on it. There is a new Nexus 5 coming out soon by the way.

How easy and safe is it to install Sailfish on a Nexus 5?

How easy and safe is it to install Sailfish on a Nexus 5?
It's pretty straightforward, and right now it's the best community supported device for that purpose. It's out of production however, so I got mine on Ebay. You can still buy new devices there, but naturally they are gradually running out.

For installation instructions, see https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/Install_SailfishOS_for_hammerhead

If you decide to do it, let me know. Alpha 12 has a few gotchas there (such as battery life bug which is fixed in the updates which you can run once the system is installed). Also, there is supposedly Alpha 13 out, but I didn't see it listed on the site.

Ah, and another important thing. Nexus 5 has two versions. One for US (D820) and one for Europe and some other countries (D821). They have different LTE modems. So make sure you buy the right one which suits your network.

---------- Updated at 12:54 AM ----------

And, monitor these bugs if you'll decide to use it ;D

Last edited:
Top Bottom