Tabula rasa or What if you had never met Jackie?

+
Imagine a cyberpunk world in which...

V did not drive from the garage in Yucca to the radio tower, but turned left and drove directly across the border. So she never met Jackie. After crossing the border, she ended up with Dakota, who found her an apartment in Night City.

V is not a mercenary, she does not kill for money. She keeps her head above water by selling stolen cars. Sometimes she is driving a cab or works for a delivery service. At least the money is enough to pay the rent.

V prefers to roam around the neighborhood, where she often finds all sorts of strange and sometimes useful things - usually on foot, often with her car, sometimes by metro, occasionally with a stolen bike, rarely with fast travel.

V has only one car: her old Rattler. This car cannot be called, so V always has to go to where she last parked it, like in the old days. If needed, she steals a car or a motorcycle, she is very skilled at that. And finally, there is public transport.

V has no cyberware in her body, she has never been to a cyberdoc either. She uses visor glasses for basic scanning.

V does not want to be famous or become a legend, she prefers to run under the radar and is content to make ends meet and not "go to the dogs" (which is an art in itself in Night City). However, from time to time she gets involved in raids or gang wars and has to stand up for herself.

So V never met Jackie. She knows a Johnny Silverhand only by hearsay - and of course she has no relic in her head (why should she?). She is friends with Judy, a joytoy from Jig-Jig-Street. And Evelyn is the barkeeper in the Afterlife.

...this exactly is the version I'm playing right now. With growing enthusiasm.

Supported by many, many mods, including AppearanceMenuMod, BringMeYourCar, CyberMod, FullGameplayRebalance, MetroSystem, SellStolenCarsMod, SimpleMenu, StreetVendors, ThirdPersonPerspectiveMod, just to name a few. And of course CyberEngineTweaks and Redscript as the underlying framework. (A big Thank You to all the modders who allow me to play this way!) I also used plenty of different quest facts.

But why? Because I wasn't satisfied with the original story, as good as it is. Too fixated on the narrative, too much time pressure, too much railroading, too few choices. It's fine for the first few playthroughs. But I don't want to play the same story over and over again. Night City has so much more potential than just for one story. I wanted more freedom. So I made tabula rasa.

But are there disadvantages? Looks like at first glance. This world is seemingly empty - no main story, no side quests, no gigs, not even NCPD Scanner Hustles (though you can restore some of it with the help of quest facts). Some may find that boring, but to me it's a stage for the imagination to run wild. Mods like CyberMod are working to fill this world with new missions and events. With their editor, you can even create your own quests and share them.

My question is: Are there other players who prefer a similar gameplay and develop their own story? And if so, what kind?

I think this is exactly the thought popping up in my head right after the second act, because I wanted to start exploring the city on my own rather than progress the main storyline. So I slowed down my progression and went to see the sights, having a really fun time driving around in 'abandoned' cars from defeated gangers, from little smart cars to giant SUVs and even a police cruiser left unattended near a beach.

I love discovering random crime scenes and side quests this way, feeling like a character in the Blade Runner universe rather than a program in the Matrix, so to say.

I'll check out any mod which allows us to 'own' a stolen vehicle or hide them in a private garage like I used to do in the GTA games.
A merc responding to a 'domestic violence' case in a smart car with angry Tyger Claws shooting as I drove their car away was just hilarious.

This, I think, is what most people are talking about when they compare the game unfavorably to Skyrim. They want to treat the game world as a blank slate of assets for creating their own story.

I expect a lot more of this type of gameplay, and expect it to be a lot richer, over the coming year or two. The mods and mod tools right now are pretty good. The new and improved Redkit will open up significantly more opportunities when it's ready.

The butterfly effect. It's always a fine line between having an open world be open but not actually having any real story any more or have a story that might interfere wit player's expectation of the path they try to go with their character. It's to bad that for unlimited possibilities there simply is just a finite amount of content you can produce for a game like this. No matter how large. I also liked the story in general but would certainly have tried to go down a very different path if the game let me. If there ever was a way to really decide I'd (major story spoilers beyond this point) not have put the chip in my head or at this point at least rather return it inside to the Mox instead of Dex DeShawn. I mean ... Evelyn already offered to ditch the guy at this point in time.

Also just from a personal perspective I'd have loved to have at least the option to have V survive (beyonf the predicted 6 month timespan). BUt maybe there's a DLC for this story path, at least.

I am sure if these kind of early on decisions wouldn't basically mean creating nearly an entirely different story path for the whole game each time then CDPR would have loved to give more options. Which developer wouldn't?

But at the scale of the game already you just have to make a decision. I'd also hope for a DLC or sequel to have a more free roaming mode with a less pushy main story - or one that actually lets you continue after finishing the main quest. Loved that in Elder Scrolls already. Don't care if there is nothing major to achieve at this point any more. Exploration and side quests are dope.

All this talk makes me wonder when speech synthesis has come far enough to create basically infinite voice overs for simple text. After all that is a major roadblock in changing or adding additional content. Won't be too easy to have all the voice actors come in to tweak a few minor things.

I have another one for you.... ready?
Imagine a Cyberpunk where no matter how your V started............became a Street Kid anyway!

Crazy right? But hear me out
How about whatether your V choices are........... they doesn't matter!

I know, too crazy to imagine.

I also enjoyed roaming around in Watson and letting Dex wait in his car, just sidequesting, looking around, skipping time to the evening for more atmosphere : )

Well.

I don't mind knowing Jackie. But, if I was transposed into V's shoes to make my own story, I would have ditched Dex early, the job to get the Relic would likely go to ruins and it sure wouldn't land in my lap. Which means no Relic, no Johnny, no the whole fight-for-bare-life fu**ery.

It is me, I'd ditch Dex after the question about how I want my life to end. "Dafuq is that question?" [gun at Dex] "I am out. I will ask you only one time to stop the car and let me out." Not an overreaction in the NC. Jackie would likely be angry, and we'd likely separate for a while, but he'd get over it.

Still, no Johnny, no Arasaka Tower raid, no killing Adam Smasher, and NO invasion of the Crystal Palace? That's a tough drop.

Last edited:
I roam as well before meeting Dexter Shawn. Already paid Vic back, hit all those Crime alert spots, or just hitting the gangs on the corner. To get around the Warrant issue, let them shoot at you first. then it a free for all. When exploring the city, loot everything!! sell or keep or break it down to boost crafting and upgrade your gear. Random gangs on corners or alleys always respawn after a bit. So it endless.
I even got a few gigs from Regina roaming a bit.
So i went and met Dexter Shawn, saw Panam in Afterlife, (though there no interaction), Saw Nash bane as well hiding in a corner. roamed some more. Did the gigs of the flathead and meeting Evelyn. Before riding to the Heist quest, did more roaming.
Read more of the Cyberpunk Wiki. Learn more information.

The main story arc still waiting, and it can wait till i am ready.

Top Bottom