Tactics to Counter Yen: The Conjurer

+
Tactics to Counter Yen: The Conjurer

NOTE: If a Yen the con thread already exists, i apologize. Feel free to merge/delete as you wish, mods!

I just recently started playing against this card in casual (only level 7). Is there a counter I'm not seeing here? Y:tC is gold, activates every turn, and affects multiple units at once. With my meager play-to-win deck my only options are Promote and (NR deck) Dun Banner Heavy Calvary. If the only strategy is to pass, then it is obviously a round(game) winning card, right?
Mind, i only have the one gold Geralt card. I do not have any other gold cards.
Also, I obviously don't have all of the cards period, let alone just for Northern Realms deck.
In summary; from what I know and in my experience, the only counter for Yennefer: the Conjurer are gold unit protection. Which can only go so far. (Yen will attack the units you didnt promote/turn gold).
Warcry is taken into account, because suddenly Yen becomes beneficial in wounding all of your units (eventually). But not before she causes either irrepairable damage, or you simply never draw warcry.

I like the one-point removal of all highest point unit(s) function as a card, but I feel there should be more varied options for countering that, instead of making it a hard-fate sort of dynamic.
If anyone has suggestions for countering this card in less than 1 turn without using promote or warcry, I would love to know. No matter the faction. I like playing Northern Realms but more because of lore rather than my preference for its strategies. I play all decks. I just have more expereience with NR.

Northernjester;n7911550 said:
If anyone has suggestions for countering this card in less than 1 turn without using promote or warcry, I would love to know. No matter the faction. I like playing Northern Realms but more because of lore rather than my preference for its strategies. I play all decks. I just have more expereience with NR.

some players will use swallow on one card, Yen-con has only one target then.

also, D'shackles / or Kaedwein Sgt + cleaver/auckes or thunder... or (I hate this guy) Radovid, ... ect ect...

it's a gold card so most often you'll need 2 cards to counter her.

I've ran into a lot of situations where opponents would concede the round if I played Yen:Con at the start of the round, but I certainly wouldn't call it a round winner. I've had my fair share of opponents take it out with a combination of dimeritium bomb/shackles, followed by scorch/weather/Alzur's thunder.

The Ancient Foglet and Vran Warrior are also pretty effective against it, since they tend to draw its fire. Northern Realms decks with a heavy reliance on gold cards and promotions counter it pretty well, too.

Idk, I don't find her problematic. If you manage to make her hit only 1 unit per turn she's not that good. She also can be killed by some cards. Vs NR it's harder to kill her but not impossible, though the best tactic is still making her hit one target or just overpower the enemy

yep I just concede when I see something like a turn 1 Jennifer. this game is seriously pay to win and when i'm lvl 8 and have literally no legendaries and getting matched up with lvl 18 guys with Jennifer geralt igni etc I just auto concede. it isn't worth it. doesn't matter how poorly they play one legendary cleans the whole board for them. this is a problem.

vmachine;n7949300 said:
yep I just concede when I see something like a turn 1 Jennifer. this game is seriously pay to win and when i'm lvl 8 and have literally no legendaries and getting matched up with lvl 18 guys with Jennifer geralt igni etc I just auto concede. it isn't worth it. doesn't matter how poorly they play one legendary cleans the whole board for them. this is a problem.

1) This game is not pay2win. Heck, this game is one of the most forgiving games in terms of free stuff.
2) YenCon is only epic (and very strong). So a lot of people will play her because of that.
3) YenCon can be countered in a lot of different ways. Even if you can't kill her, at least make sure you only have one strong unit (by buffing it).
4) The matchmaking can be off sometimes when there are fewer people around.
5) In the beginning it can be difficult to find and gather a good deck. Even if you can't win the match, at least make sure you win the round. You only need to win 6 rounds to get a free keg.

4RM3D;n7949540 said:
1) This game is not pay2win. Heck, this game is one of the most forgiving games in terms of free stuff.
2) YenCon is only epic (and very strong). So a lot of people will play her because of that.
3) YenCon can be countered in a lot of different ways. Even if you can't kill her, at least make sure you only have one strong unit (by buffing it).
4) The matchmaking can be off sometimes when there are fewer people around.
5) In the beginning it can be difficult to find and gather a good deck. Even if you can't win the match, at least make sure you win the round. You only need to win 6 rounds to get a free keg.

I agree the game is very generous at giving away 5 scrap here 5 scrap there, but that doesn't make it not pay to win. some of the legendaries and epics will win the round all by themselves, and while there are a lot of good commons and rares, they just don't have the total board clearing or board filling power that some of the legendaries and epics have. if you don't have those and the opponent does then you lost 90%. that makes the game pay 2 win.

with yen I either have to use two cards to remove her, kill her gold status then kill her, or use a swallow potion and hope enemy doesn't have scortch. yen is just too op. everything conceivably has some sort of counter but that doesn't make it not op. I see Yen and I just want to give up. That means the card is bad design. It doesn't feel close to fair unless I have it to. strong chase cards are fine, but when they can win the round all by themselves and are nearly impossible to counter effectively, that's bad design and needs to go in the trash.

vmachine;n7950380 said:
I agree the game is very generous at giving away 5 scrap here 5 scrap there, but that doesn't make it not pay to win. some of the legendaries and epics will win the round all by themselves, and while there are a lot of good commons and rares, they just don't have the total board clearing or board filling power that some of the legendaries and epics have. if you don't have those and the opponent does then you lost 90%. that makes the game pay 2 win.

with yen I either have to use two cards to remove her, kill her gold status then kill her, or use a swallow potion and hope enemy doesn't have scortch. yen is just too op. everything conceivably has some sort of counter but that doesn't make it not op. I see Yen and I just want to give up. That means the card is bad design. It doesn't feel close to fair unless I have it to. strong chase cards are fine, but when they can win the round all by themselves and are nearly impossible to counter effectively, that's bad design and needs to go in the trash.

There are people here who have spent hundreds and don't have that much of an advantage over you. The Legendary Drop Rate doesn't make it worth the expense. I had been grinding most of the week to get 800 scraps for a Tibby, and I got a Gigni in a keg I got from my 6 round tier. It's not pay to win, it's play to win. People with better cards than you have more than likely been here longer. And have been grinding. Give a new player 150 dollars to spend on kegs, and I will still beat him 95 out of 100 times with the cards I have gotten from grinding.

Yen can not win a round all by herself. That's a false narrative. If the opponent plays a first turn Yen and passes, there's about 50 cards with Str 7 or higher. So, let's not get crazy.

frbfree;n7950540 said:
Yen can not win a round all by herself. That's a false narrative. If the opponent plays a first turn Yen and passes, there's about 50 cards with Str 7 or higher. So, let's not get crazy.

The only time I've found her frustrating to counter is when coming up against Nilfgaard -- have seen a few players immediately add 12 to her strength after I've turned her to silver. I just have to hope I have strength buff for one of my cards to make them the sole target and hope no scorch is forthcoming. Sometimes, the opponent shows their hand, so to speak, by passing immediately after she's turned to silver. She's a great card to use for bluffing though, since so many people seem to have issues with spending cards to counter her or think she's impossible to counter.

if my opponent plays yen-con R1/T1 I'll sometimes pass knowing she's off the board for the rest of the match (still don't see many renew plays in any deck) and keep a nice CA for round 2.

Yen's biggest value is if opponent has a lot of cards at equal value, so play to counter that (most here already know this :)).

I had a nice match against an ST melee uber-buff deck... my Yen's on the board, they had a huge point advantage and passed R2. I dropped Aeromancy/frost and Yen cleared their entire row. very satisfying.

yen-con is not OP. played well shes tough, true. but countered well and shes a 5 point card that does a bit of damage. a last card last play Rag Roog (I'm looking at you NR gold cards) is way more trouble then Yen will ever be.

Eh, I don't think it's that great - it takes 7 turns of her hitting 1 minion (which is pretty easy to manage) before it even contributes as much strength as something generic like Geralt, and she can be removed much more easily by some factions.

I think the bigger problem you're experiencing is probably just that you don't even have 4 goldens to begin with - pretty much any golden is way stronger than silver/bronze cards, so if you can't build a deck with 4 goldens and 6 silvers you're going to be at a huge disadvantage. Compared to other golden cards she's not really that incredible, but almost any golden is better than not having a golden pretty much, which makes this game very punishing to new players a lot of the time as there are no low rarity goldens that you can put in your deck.

Is "Yennefer : the Conjurer" OP?

In my personal opinion Yennefer the Conjurer is too strong. Her base strength isnt that high (5) but its a gold card and her effect is that she reduces the strength of the strongest opponents unit(S!) by 1. And thats the point why is think that she`s too strong. It may sound weak at first but if the opponent plays her rigth at the begin of the round she may reduce your armys whole strength by 5 after three rounds for every following round (this is an example). I think her effect should be changed so that she chooses one unit randomly if some units are the same strength.
P.S. If you know any good strategics/counters against her please let me know im really desperate because i always loose to her xD

Greeny3x3;n8077250 said:
In my personal opinion Yennefer the Conjurer is too strong. Her base strength isnt that high (5) but its a gold card and her effect is that she reduces the strength of the strongest opponents unit(S!) by 1. And thats the point why is think that she`s too strong. It may sound weak at first but if the opponent plays her rigth at the begin of the round she may reduce your armys whole strength by 5 after three rounds for every following round (this is an example). I think her effect should be changed so that she chooses one unit randomly if some units are the same strength.
P.S. If you know any good strategics/counters against her please let me know im really desperate because i always loose to her xD

Why not just buff a unit? Something isn't OP because you refuse to deal with it via precaution. If your deck can't handle a dynamic like that, then your deck is the problem. I don't use her, btw.

Top Bottom