Tactics

+

mjul

Forum veteran
Tactics

The Gamescon reveals allowed for a sudden change in power structure. Mainly for Scoia'tael, which got the lion's share of the best cards this time, and I was wondering, what were the best tactics out there?

Obviously, Monsters have not changed that much. Swamp the board. Weather what you can. Rinse and repeat.

Northern Realms. Much the same, though some more options are now available. Promotions play a big part now (with DBHC) and that seems to be the gimmicky thing about NR, not musters or spies.

Skellige. Not much has changed. Few cards revealed. Ermion is interesting but not overly useful. Udalryk is terrible. Still the same graveyard use. CACW and MadLug are the play to go for. Harald the Cripple fits this strategy very well.

Scoia'tael. The gem of this update. So many powerful cards. You can make a deck that is almost infinite in plays and force your enemy to pass before you are even halfway through. You can scorch the living hell out of him. You can go for special cards. You can go for baiting on the first turn and then overwhelming him at the last moment (Eithne). Scoia'tael are definitely the most powerful and the most fun to play faction so far.

What do you think? What new did Gamescon bring to the board? Did I omit something that's interesting?

Skellige. Not much has changed. Few cards revealed. Ermion is interesting but not overly useful. Udalryk is terrible. Still the same graveyard use. CACW and MadLug are the play to go for. Harald the Cripple fits this strategy very well.

An interesting card for Skellige is Draig Bon-Dhu.
"When he gets Discarded from the Deck straight to the Graveyard, play him instead."

This works well with Dunar An Hindar & Ermion.
Now on it's own it's not great but it sets a precedent and an opening for more cards like that to come out in the future which could see Skellige build a Discard / Medic / Autoplay style Deck.

Honestly a great place to look is the Gwent database. A lot of great deck ideas are there.. I have even heard rumors of a Chicken meta..;) Not to brag, but I think we have a great community of creators..come on in!

Scoia'tael definitely seem to be top dog at this point, closely followed by Northern Realms. The ability to create 64 Strength out of seemingly nowhere is huge.

I also feel like people are still sleeping a bit on John Natalis, on his own he will easily provide 15 Strength, which is as much as any generic Hero does, but with a bit of synergy through more minions and Commanders Horn his power becomes quickly apparent. I definitely feel like he will play a big role in many good decks.

mjul

Forum veteran
Scoia'tael definitely seem to be top dog at this point, closely followed by Northern Realms. The ability to create 64 Strength out of seemingly nowhere is huge.

I also feel like people are still sleeping a bit on John Natalis, on his own he will easily provide 15 Strength, which is as much as any generic Hero does, but with a bit of synergy through more minions and Commanders Horn his power becomes quickly apparent. I definitely feel like he will play a big role in many good decks.

The problem with Natalis, well not really a problem but a hindrance in my opinion, is that he takes a hero slot. He is a very useful hero, but that doesn't mean he's a useful one in every situation. He only ever shines if you commit a lot, like 5,6 or even 7 cards. So he's basically a single round guy. If the enemy manages to scorch or delay you, you can find yourself very quickly in a murky quagmire. Don't get me wrong, he's very good, but his usability is lower than say Aglaïs or Saskia, who give you options to adapt to your opponent.

That's not to say that a savvy NR player can play him to his best ability in the last round, he can certainly be utilised like that. But, as I've said, he can only best be used when you go all in.

Good point, his inflexibility is certainly a downside, but overall it's relatively easy to built up a large enough board to make him effective, and those boards are usually hard to Scorch or Epidemic.

Personally, Skellige is my favorite deck (with Crach an Craite leader). I love the graveyard play and using cards that last for different rounds. Like you think I don't have any cards left but JUST KIDDING, I actually can pull some strong mofos out of the grave. :)

I find Skellige really interesting and they will probably be my favorite faction just because of how intricate things can get. However we could use some more spoilers for Skellige because as of right now I feel there are just slightly too few cards to make a really good deck with.

Top Bottom