Taking a hiatus from Gwent

+
Holy crap....what a post.... I'm a new player since Gwent dropped for OB on the PS4 and I have barely had a tough time with weather decks when I first started. I mostly play Monster and NG and always have either 2 weather clear units and one clear sky, or just 3 weather clear units. I have never had the need to spam weather clear (which is exactly what they want) or even use up all my clear sky/weather units. You just have to play smart and have a roster that can be dropped anywhere on the board.
Only practice will help, not crying about it.

i'm the same the game is unplayable [h=3]SKELLIGE is useless now against NILFGAARD. CD just made the faction redundant.

Every-player has bloody weather cards, now before you weather lovers jump down my throat I'll tell you why an its very simple every faction has a weather clear cards beside SKELLIGE witch only has one. you have 4 clear skies deck cards plus 3 norm clear skies an that fine but heres the problem RNG at the beginning of each round. you have all those cards you have increased your deck size over 25 cards because you could come against a monster deck but what happens when the wrong cards show up for another faction an that person might not have a weather deck you've messed up your tempo build because you cant change your cards the faction that can is NILFGAARD with the spy cards build but here thing I've noticed since the patch NILFGAARD spy build is now crap before i was running 35 cards an i chould change my cards easly when somthing changed on the board like we all do. Now the wrong cards are showing up when i dont want them too like VICOVARO MEDIC i throw down my first spy card i get 2 of them or AMBASSADOR. but hang on a minute i've got CAHIR or RAINFARN nope because there way down in the bottom the deck played 20 games an those 2 did not show up. so i i'm sick an tired of trying to win when the wrong cards show up at the wrong time that cost me the game. so i have unstalled the game an will not touch it ever again on till every faction every card every build is balanced.[/h]

I just started playing this game, like as this patch hit. I was super interested after seeing some videos and what not. But then, Bam, apparently the worst patch ever hits. Not only do I feel like I can't compete as a F2P player on ladder at all. I also feel like as a F2P played that randomly decided to play NR, because I liked the variety I saw in videos, that I got totally screwed. I am not even close to building a Monsters or Skellige deck, and that's about 75% of what I see. Insane Silvers and Golds in Skellige are almost unbeatable, and even with 2 Clear Skies and 3 Blue Stripes Scouts, I can't control the Weather. I only have the base legendaries, and even my Silvers are very lackluster. So I just can't get above rank 9. I lose 2 games for every 1 I win and there is just no chance or nothing I can do to improve that. I can go play casual, but the largest boost in rewards comes from Ranked. I've been playing for 5 days and I already feel like quitting.

The_Odinson;n8933030 said:
I just started playing this game, like as this patch hit. I was super interested after seeing some videos and what not. But then, Bam, apparently the worst patch ever hits. Not only do I feel like I can't compete as a F2P player on ladder at all. I also feel like as a F2P played that randomly decided to play NR, because I liked the variety I saw in videos, that I got totally screwed. I am not even close to building a Monsters or Skellige deck, and that's about 75% of what I see. Insane Silvers and Golds in Skellige are almost unbeatable, and even with 2 Clear Skies and 3 Blue Stripes Scouts, I can't control the Weather. I only have the base legendaries, and even my Silvers are very lackluster. So I just can't get above rank 9. I lose 2 games for every 1 I win and there is just no chance or nothing I can do to improve that. I can go play casual, but the largest boost in rewards comes from Ranked. I've been playing for 5 days and I already feel like quitting.

There is a budget northern realms deck that hard counters most iterations of monsters although this is slowing changing as monsters is going less wide to play around skellige at mid to high mmr. The decklist is here http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/21550-update-swims-machine-combo. Skellige currently has no real big counters but is not unwinnable. They should also receive a nerf soon. As a F2P player in the very early stages of the game you should be careful about full crafting the strongest faction decks because its very likely to get nerfed and right now thats skellige. Its unfortunate that you started playing as the patch hit because the patch gave out a ton of scrap to people who played earlier. I'm also F2P and the patch gave me almost 7k scrap just by using the earned powder to craft premium nerfed cards then milling them. It is possible to F2P and rank up! Just hit rank 15 yesterday started slightly after open beta. Just keep at it.. learn and improve.

swingslol;n8933360 said:
There is a budget northern realms deck that hard counters most iterations of monsters although this is slowing changing as monsters is going less wide to play around skellige at mid to high mmr. The decklist is here http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/21550-update-swims-machine-combo. Skellige currently has no real big counters but is not unwinnable. They should also receive a nerf soon. As a F2P player in the very early stages of the game you should be careful about full crafting the strongest faction decks because its very likely to get nerfed and right now thats skellige. Its unfortunate that you started playing as the patch hit because the patch gave out a ton of scrap to people who played earlier. I'm also F2P and the patch gave me almost 7k scrap just by using the earned powder to craft premium nerfed cards then milling them. It is possible to F2P and rank up! Just hit rank 15 yesterday started slightly after open beta. Just keep at it.. learn and improve.

Yeah, let's be real. That list says its budget, but I don't have pretty much any of those Silvers or Golds, or the replacements for them. I do have Nenneke and Reinforcement, but the super budget version isn't good enough atm. I've tried it, but you can't be Skellige, and I couldn't be Dagon most of the time because they can Fog you upwards of 5 times, and frost you 1-2 generally as well. And that deck isn't that weak to the Balistas. Without the Witchers its pretty hard to be competitive because you have no way to win more than 1 round.

I agree that weather needs a severe nerf. It's unbelievable that even running mage+2 CS units+first light is not enough to stop the dagon/eithne spam. I don't know how to balance it in order to not make weather useless but it needs to be toned down and fast.

The retarded thing about weather is you can put a couple of crappy cards in your deck to counter it but since weather ticks at turn start you will still come up short and weather decks can spam a lot more weathers than you can have counters.

I actually like the frost spam, its 30-35C degrees out here and the frost spam is rather refreshing.

Xhal;n8938920 said:
The retarded thing about weather is you can put a couple of crappy cards in your deck to counter it but since weather ticks at turn start you will still come up short and weather decks can spam a lot more weathers than you can have counters.

And if i play a Weather COunter Deck. I get NR or something as oppenent and have useless 7str weather clear unit.. gg

They have screwed up for me. They havent even fixed the broken axeman with frost in the first patch, which sounds like they are getting lost. Savage bear was reasonably countered too, now is a no-brainer. And Dol blatana can be turned into pure bullshit with ithline calling rally on the last round if you have card advantage.

Last edited:
seconded, the very first day of the patch was a lot of fun, since then it has become an increasingly unpleasant experience, the last week i've been forcing myself to at least do the daily six rounds. today, i could no longer stomach it, after getting succubus'd in the last turn of the second round (0-2) by a tempo monster deck TWICE and then someone playing wound skellige with hjalmar and kambi as as the last few cards in the second round (0-2 again) so am i really struggling not to uninstall the game, but i'll settle with just taking a break from the game for a while.

At some point weather will change and something else will become meta defining. It's just the way card games go whether theyre digital games like HS or physical like MTG, theres always a top tier deck. In Gwents case, anything that works with weather at the moment..

Hello,
I'm a new player of gwent ( 2 weeks), having some experience in card game with Hearthone (since beta, until CurverStone).
I experience the ladder since 10 days and have seen that weather and skellige are powerful deck. The first game i loose against this deck, I think : OH this are OP Deck... It weas very unpleasant to loose against this deck, because i feel that it was not me who loose, but it was just the opponent deck who win the game alone. I just could make nothing. One or two game later, i was more and more angry... But then i remember my hearstone experience and the fact that a great part of the card game is "making our personnal deck". SO i continue to play and see this "OP" deck as a challenge,. What can i do with my little collection to counter this decks. And litle by little, one card by one card, i adjust my deck, go back with my choice, think about how i must use my ressource to give me odds against this decks, ... And Finally, weather decks or skellige decks are not more a problem. There are still not easy too beat, but i begin to know how to deal with this deck. And I guess my result are positive against this decks.

All this to said: How do you want to play Gwent?
You want to be competitive? Then play the better deck in the meta, and get great skill against the other player who play this deck. I guess that in this case, it will not be a problem for you that there is a OP deck in the meta.
You prefer to play your own deck, or some mechnics. Then i will consider you more like a deck builder. Then i will advice you: Try to not let frustration get control of you. Instead of that, remember what you like in card game: make work your own deck. And see your bad experience as a challenge. " Ok this shitty guy use OP deck and can think by himself... He beat me this time, What can i do to take my revange! He will se next time!" It will not easy, but i think there are enough tools in Gwent to achieve that. I think every deck can be counter. And when finally when you get your own deck and regulary beat these guys, your win will have a really good taste. (Is an easy win really a win?)

About nerf:
My hearthone experience learn me that there always be an "OP" deck. That's simply because a part of the player want to play the best deck in the meta. You could done nothing about that. Nerf a deck and another will take his place. I didn't expereince that in Gwent, looks like Nilfgaard was the OP deck before the last patch. Now it's just another. Nerf it and tommorow you will have another. Nerf is interesting just to change the meta (When adding new cards fail to do that.) So don't nerf Skellige and weather for now,. Just let the deckbuilder trying to find their own solution against the meta. And perhaps in one week, or two there will be a counter deck. And in a certain amount of time, if there is no change, think about adding cards, or make some nerf to change the meta. And repeat it.

MicMac42

I also feel like Weather has ruined the game. I absolutely loved the CB. The CB was so much damn fun. I'd play all day and just loved every minute of it.
I've stuck with the OB since it released but I just can't anymore. It gets so frustrating losing game after game due to Weather cards. Until something is done about it, I'm done with Gwent.

To be fair, with the low monster power for weather decks it seems to work out now, I hardly ever run into weather anymore its all high power creatures from Dwarfs or Elves

micmac42;n9016790 said:
Hello,
I'm a new player of gwent ( 2 weeks), having some experience in card game with Hearthone (since beta, until CurverStone).
I experience the ladder since 10 days and have seen that weather and skellige are powerful deck. The first game i loose against this deck, I think : OH this are OP Deck... It weas very unpleasant to loose against this deck, because i feel that it was not me who loose, but it was just the opponent deck who win the game alone. I just could make nothing. One or two game later, i was more and more angry... But then i remember my hearstone experience and the fact that a great part of the card game is "making our personnal deck". SO i continue to play and see this "OP" deck as a challenge,. What can i do with my little collection to counter this decks. And litle by little, one card by one card, i adjust my deck, go back with my choice, think about how i must use my ressource to give me odds against this decks, ... And Finally, weather decks or skellige decks are not more a problem. There are still not easy too beat, but i begin to know how to deal with this deck. And I guess my result are positive against this decks.

All this to said: How do you want to play Gwent?
You want to be competitive? Then play the better deck in the meta, and get great skill against the other player who play this deck. I guess that in this case, it will not be a problem for you that there is a OP deck in the meta.
You prefer to play your own deck, or some mechnics. Then i will consider you more like a deck builder. Then i will advice you: Try to not let frustration get control of you. Instead of that, remember what you like in card game: make work your own deck. And see your bad experience as a challenge. " Ok this shitty guy use OP deck and can think by himself... He beat me this time, What can i do to take my revange! He will se next time!" It will not easy, but i think there are enough tools in Gwent to achieve that. I think every deck can be counter. And when finally when you get your own deck and regulary beat these guys, your win will have a really good taste. (Is an easy win really a win?)

About nerf:
My hearthone experience learn me that there always be an "OP" deck. That's simply because a part of the player want to play the best deck in the meta. You could done nothing about that. Nerf a deck and another will take his place. I didn't expereince that in Gwent, looks like Nilfgaard was the OP deck before the last patch. Now it's just another. Nerf it and tommorow you will have another. Nerf is interesting just to change the meta (When adding new cards fail to do that.) So don't nerf Skellige and weather for now,. Just let the deckbuilder trying to find their own solution against the meta. And perhaps in one week, or two there will be a counter deck. And in a certain amount of time, if there is no change, think about adding cards, or make some nerf to change the meta. And repeat it.

MicMac42

Now you my good man deserve a gold card. Most people want to pay, net deck and voila..WIN. But when their net decks start hitting bumps they panic and then panic evolves to rage. When you build your own deck from scratch, it is easy to know what to tech that won't hurt you too much. Now when you net deck...where do you start with what to remove and what to keep when a match-up starts rubbing your unmentionables the wrong way? And remember "From a serpent will come a viper and from a viper, a flying dragon" Isa 14:29. One OP deck goes, another will rise. It's just how it is.

Addendum: Another thing is when you lose someone wins. When you win someone loses. Barring a draw, someone is always, ALWAYS going to be tilted.

Last edited:
People forget why net decking is more of a thing in game like this, It is because lots of people don't have tools to experiment and build decks(cards). So in order to make sure you have at least something that is fun to play you take a look at net decks and try to maximize use of limited resources that you have. Since there is no way to play test cards and decks you are put in weird position.

Game is in such state that gold cards are key to every good deck and you can't create anything useful without them and that where issue is. Gold cards shouldn't be so rare and expensive(at least not all of them) when it is vital part of deck.

I'm taking some time out from gwent too and for half a year i've played 10-20 matches a day.

Well, everyone has their breaking point when enough is enough and I am nearing mine.

I can handle bears and in-hand excessive boosting, but this weather spam is out-of-control.

I’ve preached on several occasions that the developers allowed weather to be the way it is. And it’s really ruining the fun of this game. Want weather in the game? Fine, but, it should be contained not running amuck as it is.

Then you have folks who say, “Well, I never run into weather spammers.”

Really? Good for you. I for one am a stay at home Mom and I play on and off through-out the day; which adds up to a lot of games. I run into weather spammers constantly. Hell, decks that previously did not run weather are now running weather.

Here is another comment from people: “Weather is easily countered.”

Yes, yes, it is – to a point. Let us say, you entered a match and the opponent throws down fog. Ok, no biggie. So, you wait to see if they throw down another weather card after a few turns. Nothing.

Use a clear weather card. The game goes on with no more weather.

Or nine times out of ten you run into someone who uses one weather card after another.

Think of it this way:

There are nine bronze weather cards.

Two silver weather cards.

Two gold weather cards.

As for weather removal:

6 Bronze cards – 3 Clear Skies, 3 unit cards

Then you get into silver cards which can either remove weather or summon it.

And to top it off there is Areomancy.

Basically, there are MORE cards to summon weather then there is to remove it. Thus, even if I were to toss in every card to combat weather, I still would be behind a spammer.

Sure, you could use cards that move your card to another row, dwarves, drowners, elves etc., or even a decoy. But that is only a temporary fix.

Then to make matters worse you have cards which basically enable the summon of weather – axemen, foglets, vanguards.

Oh, this is my favorite response about weather, “Weather is not that bad, people overreact.”

Really? Let us say, in the final round you have a 4, a 6 and a 10 on the board and your cards are covered in weather. You have zero dispel weather cards in-hand. Your opponent has a 4, 4 and a 9 on the board. After two turns, you are screwed. Fun is it not?

And that is the other thing: Just because you have anti-weather cards in your deck does not mean you are guaranteed access to those cards – unless your faction has some means to reach said cards.

“Just use a potion and boost the card!”

Simple solutions are not always the right ones. You boost the card with a potion and you extended the life of the card; but what happens if your opponent has an Axmen on their side? You just basically handed them the game on a silver platter. Thus, one solution may work against this faction but it is not a solution against the rest.

Another thing, I have said numerous times is: Weather should be assigned to certain rows as it was in W3. Fog for range, Rain for catapults and frost for melee. And the player is only allowed three weather cards in their deck (excluding silver summon weather cards). Beyond that any card which gets boosted from such spam actions should be made silver and have a cap on it. Lastly, when you enter a fresh match you are guaranteed to have an anti-weather card on hand.

I swear the developers are not only obsessed with the excessive abuse of weather but they love the taste of anti-weather spamming peoples’ tears.

Weather is a mechanic in Gwent and always has been, however it should not be the dominating mechanic.

Top Bottom