Talents - info, recommended [SPOILERS POSSIBLE]

+
bdizel said:
I just got the game and I've played through Chapter 1 three times in search of a good build. Here's my resulting build strat:1st, upgrade Ard with Stun. This makes Ard offensive against 2 types of resistances instead of just 1. After a successful cast you can usually kill 1 opponent instantly and, in my experience, sometimes 2. In my game play experience Stun is more useful than knockback as it keeps opponents in easy reach.2nd, I recommend upgrading all stats to 1.3rd, I acquire Oils. Oils are useful against the high HP gouls you face in Chapter 1. With Necrophlange Oil, it seemed my Steel sword was almost as good as a Silver one. I imagine I could 1 or 2 shot gouls with Necrophlange Oil on a Silver sword.4th, I get Herbs. Herbs can be sold for 1-2g in Chapter 1 if neccessary. Think of it as gambling money and use the resulting gold to buy any herb and monster books you dont have asap.5th, I upgrade all Steel sword styles. I purchase lvl2 in each style. This applies to all styles. I ended up using all styles.6th, I upgrade Igni with Incineration and +dmg. Igni is incredibly useful with Incineration.7th, I purchase +dmg modifiers for all lvls of all Steel sword styles that I can.. . . that usually takes me through the bulk of Chapter 1. I put additional talents into some of the stat abilties for Str, Dex and Stam.My fundamental build strategy is to have 5 in all stats and sword styles.
That sounds very similar to what I was planning for my new game (after the 1.2 patch comes out, which should be soon). In short, I aim to get all bronze Intelligence talents, all lvl 1 talents in Aard, then distribute all the remaining bronze talents I get in Chapter I to other stats and fighting styles somewhat evenly. I'll need Aard primarily for tougher monsters like Ozzrel and the Beast, while Intelligence is essential for being able to create my own oils early in the game. I don't intend to upgrade Intelligence any further than bronze, except maybe for bombs, but in my last game I didn't use many bombs. However, +20% base sign intensity sounds useful. Is Ingredient Extraction talent any good? I always get ingredients from foes I slay even without it, so I'm not sure what the benefits are.
bdizel said:
bdizel said:
Maybe I should play my next game on Hard difficulty. What's your take on that?
I recommend it. In my experience it made every opponent lethal which made the game more challenging/fun for me.
I would welcome stronger opponents, since I found everyone stopped being a challenge once I got into the second half of Chapter II on Medium difficulty. However, I've heard that you earn less experience on Hard difficulty, and that's what keeps me from selecting it. Character leveling is an important aspect of roleplaying for me, and I'd hate to see that feature stunted on the highest difficulty.

Is Ingredient Extraction talent any good? I always get ingredients from foes I slay even without it, so I'm not sure what the benefits are.
not bad at all. It doubles the primary reagent on each monster you whack, and doubles the spawn rate of plant ingredients.I found it very useful when i was running low on queberth/nigredo ingredients. double up on alghoul marrow was handy.however, it most certainly is NOT a necessary perk, provided you do your rounds hunting and maintaining your ingredient stocks regularly. It does become nearly a necessary perk if you screw up in ch5 and forget to bring a bunch of ingredients with you after you leave the dike area.

I've played a bit into the 3rd Act now and the skills are really starting to stack up. at first I was a bit disappointed as it seemed like you could buy pretty much every talent available, but when you start getting silver talents you really have to be more picky. personally, I've concentrated on Strength and Dexterity and they're always the first ones I improve. then I usually go for Fast Silver and Group Silver as I find these to be the most useful combat skills so far. I haven't dabbled much in magic at all, but I've improved the Igni sign a bit. only because it's so much fun to set people/monsters on fire.

Paul-Hewson said:
Only wanted to know, if we reach level 50 do we have learned all skills or not ?
No. I believe you will probably have enough bronze talents to learn all but 6, and you will have a majority of silver and gold talents.

does anyone know if the tier 1 and 2 dmg modifiers for the Igni sign stack?i searched the forums and couldn't find anything on Igni dmg, only comments about sword dmg.

nope. the way it works with spells is that you cast your highest level when your end bar is full.look at your end bar when you have a spell selected, and you will see it has little silver "dividers" in it.wherever your endurance bar falls within those dividers dictates the level of the spell you will cast.example:say you have put enough bronze talents to get igni to level 2.when your endurance bar is full, it is past the divider you see, and you will be casting it at level 2. if it is below the divider, you will be casting at level 1.I'm reasonably sure that's how it works, based on careful observation over two different playthroughs.

SirToejam said:
nope. the way it works with spells is that you cast your highest level when your end bar is full.look at your end bar when you have a spell selected, and you will see it has little silver "dividers" in it.wherever your endurance bar falls within those dividers dictates the level of the spell you will cast.example:say you have put enough bronze talents to get igni to level 2.when your endurance bar is full, it is past the divider you see, and you will be casting it at level 2. if it is below the divider, you will be casting at level 1.I'm reasonably sure that's how it works, based on careful observation over two different playthroughs.
I dont think this is correct. I believe the dividers are for casting the basic and powered-up version of the current sign. It costs more to cast the powered up version. What I would like to know is:What if you trained Aard Basic to Level II, but you are still a "Student". (Have yet to train apprentice.) So, if you dont charge up the sign, it will cast at level II, but if you charge it, will it only cast the Level I Student version?? That is what confuses me about signs.

Hi guys,MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL WITCHERS!!I want to ask something:I have no some talents, can I change them now or no?

I dont think this is correct. I believe the dividers are for casting the basic and powered-up version of the current sign. It costs more to cast the powered up version.
nope. you can still cast the powered up versions of a sign, so long as you can cast the sign at all (not below the lowest divider).

SirToejam said:
I dont think this is correct. I believe the dividers are for casting the basic and powered-up version of the current sign. It costs more to cast the powered up version.
nope. you can still cast the powered up versions of a sign, so long as you can cast the sign at all (not below the lowest divider).
I have yet to get to level III in a sign yet. I assume that once I do, there will be another marker added to the bar? What if I have enough endurance to cast level III BUT I do not have the powered up talent for that level? Will it cast the level 2 powered up?

no, it will cast the non-powered up version, which is the same as the version it casts if you don't hold down the left mouse button even if you have the powerup perk enabled.if, say, you have the powerup for the level 2 version, and have the level 3 version without the powerup perk, if you hold the mouse button down, it will cast the level 2 version of the powerup.if you don't hold down the mouse button, it will cast the "normal" level 3 version.

SirToejam said:
no, it will cast the non-powered up version, which is the same as the version it casts if you don't hold down the left mouse button even if you have the powerup perk enabled.if, say, you have the powerup for the level 2 version, and have the level 3 version without the powerup perk, if you hold the mouse button down, it will cast the level 2 version of the powerup.if you don't hold down the mouse button, it will cast the "normal" level 3 version.
I am still confused as to what the "markers" are for on the endurance bar. Some people say they are to mark the endurance required to cast each level of sign you trained. That way you can cast a level I Igni blast or level II igni blast or a level III depending on how much Endurance you have. I firmly believe that the markers show you how much the "powered up" version costs compared to the NON powered up version. I believe this because I currently have level III igni trained but NO power ups trained at all for any level of igni. I only have ONE marker on my endurance bar. This tells me how expensive my level III version of igni is to cast. It will always cast level III when my endurance is above that one marker. Prove me wrong, please. :)

I just cant figure out how to get the talents for the bronze that say mutagen required. If I drink a mutagen before I meditate it only gives me an extra bronze point, yet I cant drink it after I actuallly enter meditate mode, so I can never choose that talent.Someone please explain in detail.thanks much

There are special mutagen elixir that will unlock the talents i think. They probably need some special ingredients you will find on special monster.

I already had the stuff and made one mutagen, but understood it as I had to drink it in order to apply a bronze talent to one of the attributes that says you must drink a mutagen. The problem is there seems to be no way to drink a mutagen during meditation so you can apply the bronze talent and get that attribute unlocked to use.I just dont see it.thanks

jakespeed said:
I already had the stuff and made one mutagen, but understood it as I had to drink it in order to apply a bronze talent to one of the attributes that says you must drink a mutagen. The problem is there seems to be no way to drink a mutagen during meditation so you can apply the bronze talent and get that attribute unlocked to use.I just dont see it.thanks
jack, don't drink when sleeping ;)eheh, just make the mutagen, wake up, drink it, meditate and insert coin ;D

Top Bottom