Talents - info, recommended [SPOILERS POSSIBLE]

+
Hi guyz can you please assist,...iam running the witcher on windows vista with a windows experience index of 4.7,all my hardware so seems to be up to scratch yet iam unable to pick up herbs???...Can you please help???

Does the power of Igni increase when you raise its level? The description doesn't seem to suggest that it does. So really, it seems after level 2 you only get a bigger range (which isn't completely necessary) and the cost goes up. For that second reason alone, is it smart to just keep it at level 2?

This is a completely pointless and not very useful thing to share, but I just wanted to mention it. I love how with level 5 group style Silver, Geralt will use the sub-slot weapon on his leg in the sequence - if he has one. He's moving so fast, it's almost a blur, making it difficult to see, and it took me longer than I thought to realise that he is actually using that weapon (be it dagger, axe, etc).Thought that was really cool. :)

Scrobes said:
This is a completely pointless and not very useful thing to share, but I just wanted to mention it. I love how with level 5 group style Silver, Geralt will use the sub-slot weapon on his leg in the sequence - if he has one. He's moving so fast, it's almost a blur, making it difficult to see, and it took me longer than I thought to realise that he is actually using that weapon (be it dagger, axe, etc).Thought that was really cool. :)
Cool. I just got my first level 5 style last night (strong silver I think). I'll have to look for little things like this.(I was thinking since the level 4 style wasn't part of the sequence, you didn't need it to get the level 5, but sadly I was mistaken.... :) )

JohnJSal said:
Does the power of Igni increase when you raise its level? The description doesn't seem to suggest that it does. So really, it seems after level 2 you only get a bigger range (which isn't completely necessary) and the cost goes up. For that second reason alone, is it smart to just keep it at level 2?
Damage does increase especially via the side skills you get from it. Also, a 360° igni is quite nice.

STGhost said:
STGhost said:
Damage does increase especially via the side skills you get from it. Also, a 360° igni is quite nice.
But the only +damage enhancements seem to be the bronze talents, which I've already chosen. The silver ones don't seem to add to damage. And all the level 3 talent says is "damage depends on sign intensity", yet level 3 doesn't specify that it increases sign intensity.

I can confirm that a few gold talents on igni are totally worth it, if you like being a kick-ass magic user ... if you are more into swordplay, then maybe save your gold talents for your swords :)

I don't know about Ignii really. I haven't put any points into it past lvl 2 (same for Aard - I haven't put any into Axii). But following on from what has been said, I do find that some of the talents can be a little misleading at times!For example, with the Quen power-up, I had NO IDEA whatsoever that the "opponent loses % vitality" was referring to the fact that it happens each time they hit you! Thus making the lvl 5 power-up of Quen quite a beast in terms of protecting you (you still get the damage absorbing shield, which by this point would be the 100% absorption) as it cuts the hitpoints of mobs down so massively. A 1000 hp mob hitting your lvl 5 powered-up shield loses 250 hp on the first hit for instance (then losing another 25% (about 187hp) on the next hit, etc). :eek: They will lose less and less, the lower the hitpoints they have, but at the start of a fight when you're surrounded, this is a nice effect. Another nice use for Quen is the power-up of your sword styles, because they seem to fail easily if you get hit and such. One thing I can't quite work out is why Quen has a silver talent that increases sign intensity by 25%. As far as I can recall all its effects appear to be static - apart from maybe the lvl 5 enhancement that raises chance of Knockdown when they hit you (also very funky).Another one, which is actually mentioned in the game manual is Yrden. For the Yrden power-up, it seems almost pointless to put more points into it according to ingame info, right? Well maybe, but the game manual states that the range of it increases. Things like this people just wouldn't realise from reading the talent info without really using it, which is a shame I feel. Plus, with the Yrden power-up, it doesn't just do damage and pain, but it will have a chance of transferring the effects you've spent points in from the sub-enhancements. This includes the poison, blinding, etc. So for a power-up area of effect move, lvl 5 Yrden is likewise, quite a beast. ;) I haven't got the gold talent 'Circle of Death' yet, but I imagine it's brutal, as each point per level has already been ramping up the sign intensity - which is determining the damage (also base intelligence).While I'm here, I'm convinced now that Attack%+ is your chance to hit the enemy. So I was definitely happy to put 1 silver into 'Feint' for the +20% Attack. This means less swinging-and-the-enemy-dodging-your-strongstyle-swing, and having it connect more often - as far as I can see (Strong style being the only one of the three styles that doesn't have inherent Attack%+, hence presumably why it looks like the monster 'dodges' it more often).JohnJsal, the lvl 5 strong silver is really nice yes. I love that windmill/wheeling motion, and if you're surrounded by a few tough mobs, you can repeat it on each one, if you're quick enough to target, because of the way Geralt will do the last sequence a few times. Very deadly!Finally, I think I've found out what a particular sound effect is when you're fighting. It's awfully hard to describe, as it's brief, yet distinct. It's a metallic rasping sound sort of like someone pulling a small metallic chain over a metal rail (!). But I believe this to represent a Precise Hit activating. More noticeable with Group style I guess.

I never meant to imply anything either. I was just offering what I had discovered about difficult to interpret talent info, with a touch of enthusiasm about Quen and Yrden. ;)

Scrobes said:
I never meant to imply anything either. I was just offering what I had discovered about difficult to interpret talent info, with a touch of enthusiasm about Quen and Yrden. ;)
Igni is so flashy that Quen and Yrden often get overlooked; thanks for talking them up -- it sounds like it would be fruitful to explore them.

Hehe, well, next time through I'll definitely try a higher Ignii for sure. I guess I just like the stalwart offensive feel of Quen/Yrden, rather than out and out damage (Ignii, perhaps). I'm sure Axii can be fun too, but I haven't looked it into yet.And if I'm honest, most of my enthusiasm for Quen and Yrden has come from Max Strauss' inspiring videos on youtube. ;) (Romeo_longsword on there, I believe). I am willing to bet he has a collection of boss-fight saves that he can delve into when he fancies trying things. :p (I know that's what I'd do, lol)

Scrobes said:
I'm sure Axii can be fun too, but I haven't looked it into yet.
There's one person -- was it MR, Game Widow? -- who
enchanted a Bruxa with Axii and got her to help him fight the koschay.
which I have to say sounds pretty cool!

It looks like the search function is down, otherwise I'm sure this is answered somewhere. I am coming back to the Witcher after upgrading to the expanded edition, and took the Herbalism skill as soon as I could. Now that I'm in Chapter 1, I cannot identify any of the plants that normally came automatically with the herbalism skill. Did they change what the skill can do with the EE?

Herbalism talent never gave you any plant knowledge outside of being able to actually pick plants in general.

Top Bottom