Tap my back, while I cry, please :)

+
What rank are you? At higher rank bleeding is common even if it means sacrificing card advantage and I do this all the time. Players do this because:
1. His/Her short round is better than yours
2. Forcing you to play core cards
3. Going for 2:0

Strategy =/= Cheating

R10, I barely play anymore. 2 was the highest I got to.

But you're talking about a handful of points I couldn't claw back because I just didn't happen to have the right cards; Knut, Hym, Hjalmar, Derran into Morkvarg - there's a bunch of scenarios I could have had, but just didn't. It wasn't a big enough point swing for them to play out there cards, and I just HAPPENED to have Summoning Circle as last card when there was only 3 points diff. I understand pushing through for 2-0, but this was ridiculous.

I've just ended another match where the opponent had on the board King Of Beggars, with shield, unlocked with Ale (shackles was my only counter, I had about 4 golds still in the deck), Yen (with shield), Lady of the Lake, Avallach (with shield), Imlerith (Immune) and an 8 point Wild Hunt Hound. They'd already won before they played their last card - which was Speartip!!!!! The game doesn't allow for hand selection, they had just one thinning - Wild Hunt Rider from R1 - so how are my opponents getting this kind of "luck"? It happens SO often it just makes it an incredibly infuriating experience.

rrc

Forum veteran
There was, John Natalis, but I'd removed it.
Foltest having John Natalis? That is highly highly unlikely. Ves or Drummer is the only possible plausible logical explanation of what could have happened.

Unless the opponent knew what I had, or I was - as I STRONGLY suspect - up against the computer AI, why would you risk going into R3 losing CA?

I could have had Knut into Olaf. I could have had more or less any decent unit, except of course I didn't. This is the second time in the past few matches that this has happened, where my suspiciously bad hand has been exposed by someone with either incredible foresight or the ability to see my cards.

Back to uninstalling yet again. CDPR, cheats.
I don't see any evidence of cheating. Any good reasonable MO player will try to bleed you since MO's short R3 is stronger than any other faction. Even when I play as ST (who sucks in short R3), I will try to push for 2-0 when facing SK, especially Eist, as, a long round with Eist is a guaranteed suicide in Gwent (I still have the scar of Regis + GS on the last turn wiping out one of rows to 0 with the help of Tainted Ale, Nivellene).

Also, the opponent hasn't lost his/her CA. (S)He knew that when (s)he played the last card, you had to play your last card. The opponent might have even thought that you had Knut and wanted to pull it off from your hand. It is an absolutely logical play.

R10, I barely play anymore. 2 was the highest I got to.

But you're talking about a handful of points I couldn't claw back because I just didn't happen to have the right cards; Knut, Hym, Hjalmar, Derran into Morkvarg - there's a bunch of scenarios I could have had, but just didn't. It wasn't a big enough point swing for them to play out there cards, and I just HAPPENED to have Summoning Circle as last card when there was only 3 points diff. I understand pushing through for 2-0, but this was ridiculous.

I've just ended another match where the opponent had on the board King Of Beggars, with shield, unlocked with Ale (shackles was my only counter, I had about 4 golds still in the deck), Yen (with shield), Lady of the Lake, Avallach (with shield), Imlerith (Immune) and an 8 point Wild Hunt Hound. They'd already won before they played their last card - which was Speartip!!!!! The game doesn't allow for hand selection, they had just one thinning - Wild Hunt Rider from R1 - so how are my opponents getting this kind of "luck"? It happens SO often it just makes it an incredibly infuriating experience.

Is it okay if we look at your current deck? It seems like your synergies is the root of your frustrations. We want to help

Is it okay if we look at your current deck? It seems like your synergies is the root of your frustrations. We want to help

LOL! Yeah, that's the problem - my "synergy". If I told you I'd just uninstalled it (again) because I face off against an R3 board that had every card they could imagine including an ELEVEN STRENGTH Skaggs, you'd call me a liar. Behold the screenshots of what I was facing, vs what was still in my deck.

gwent3.jpg

gwent2.jpg

In my graveyard was Olaf, Vildkarl and Hjalmar. Olaf was one-shot taken out by Skaggs. Vildkarl was destroyed by the Oak. Neither could have done much, because I had no Priests, no Knut. It is impossible to win when you face off against perfect deals and I am so, so sick and tired of it that I reckon this uninstall is the last time I'll ever bother. I'll share this particular deck, if you like, but it doesn't matter what deck I use, I am almost always paired off against the perfect counterfoil. This one's Eist, I have tried Svalblod, Eithne, Arachas Queen, etc., etc. I've even had a look at Artuza but that defeats the point and spirit of the game.

Could it be that it has lots to do with the way SK is played? You, @BrokeCiri already mentioned the need for discarding at times, while I am so focused on non-discard decks. The truth is, and everybody who doesn't agree should immediately try it, if you don't yet have every card available that Gwent offers, playing no-discard SK is very difficult and each victory hard earned. I know this for sure, because out of frustration I turned towards a faction I have never played before. Nilfgaard. Without any knowledge of synergies I focused on a tactics deck with leader Ardal. Filled with tactic cards, just to have a lot for the leader, selected unbelievably strong bronze cards like Toussaint Knight-Errand, Fangs of the Empire, Fire Scorpion, Master of Disguise, the insane Venedal Elite or Slave Hunter. Added a few even more powerful gold cards like Stefan Skellen, Joachim de Wett, Hefty Helge or Cantarella.

After months of hard work and difficult matches, I felt like in paradise. I had a powerful deck, just by picking the juiciest fruits. I tested the deck in Viper Season. I haven't had so much joy in a game for months! No matter what, you always have a card on hand to counter the opponent's move. I didn't even need to think during mulligan phase, the cards always built massive synergies and worked strongly on their own. I just grab opponent's best cards to work for me, play out cards from the opponent's deck, boost my own units to hell and back.

I even faced a no unit deck and outsmarted it with ease! And when I lose a match it is always a nailbiter, because neither of us will know the winner until the very last card is played out and the victory is decided over 1 or 2 points.

And that with a deck I didn't spend any thoughts on!

The only downside: I don't get any GG's anymore ;) I don't think I'll stay with NG, but it was such a stress-free pleasure, a well-deserved holidays, so to say :D

To be honest, your deck kinda looks meh no wonder you're frustrated. Ale, Shackles, and Bomb? Eist is better on burst values. Summoning Circle is great if you have a 1 turn combo. A great example is AQ with Vran + Consume = machinegun. If the purpose of Summoning Circle in your deck is for thinning then it's better to just add discards and i guess Roach is your only form of thinning. I also see that you're going for the beast Flamnica combo, I'm telling you right now that is not worth unless you're running Beast Discard or Greatswords deck.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
To be honest, your deck kinda looks meh no wonder you're frustrated. Ale, Shackles, and Bomb? Eist is better on burst values. Summoning Circle is great if you have a 1 turn combo. A great example is AQ with Vran + Consume = machinegun. If the purpose of Summoning Circle in your deck is for thinning then it's better to just add discards and i guess Roach is your only form of thinning. I also see that you're going for the beast Flamnica combo, I'm telling you right now that is not worth unless you're running Beast Discard or Greatswords deck.

So the ale's there because I got tired of facing so many locks for the likes of Vidkarl and Olaf. Bomb's there because I got tired of repetitively facing deathwish or - more boringly - Assire resurrecting Roach. Shackles because I seemed to get frustrated by locks, so figures so should the opponent, and face engines I can't counter.

The circle is there not for discard, but for a number of reasons; for example, use summoning circle to get Heimdall, then play Vidkarl from hand, then resurrect Knut from Graveyard. That's 6 points Knut, 3 points of damage from Vidkarl, 12 STR on the Champion of Svalblod, 3 points to Heimdall on top of his 4 STR. 28 points. You can vary it with Hjalmar or Olaf for more or less points depending, but there's a range of ways to play to try and add a safety net.

The discards I just grew really frustrated because I'd end up with the wrong cards far too often. I've got Morkvarg, but use Derran for 9 points, or Corrupted Flamenica (who still has value with the Beast Abominations) with it, both of which have a better points output than Birna. Still don't seem to draw them in the right order often enough, but that's a common complaint I'm sure.

Perhaps the bronzes could be a bit better, I'm not a pro - not even that good - but I don't want to refer to someone else's deck.

Sorry, but I have to agree with BrokeCiri here. Its fine to build your own deck on your own idea. I do it myself, mostly because it's the main fun in a TGC, imo.

But what exactly is the idea of your deck?
SK is a tempo faction, summoning circle a stalling tool
You say you are anoyed by locks, count the points you gain by removing the lock or just give him your next unit to deal with.
Btw Ale is not a good option, if your Wildkarl or Olaf are locked you don't want that extra 4 points. a buffed Wildkarl/Olaf is just more far away from his unic ability. Try that neutral "Wildeler"? (Sorry german account) 4 body purify on deploy. He won't brick as hard and can even remove stuff from opponents units.
Don't care for deathwish - just try to put more points/remove more points than youre opponent, again SK is about tempo. 4 Point removal, zero body is a bad deal. If you feel you need it take one of that 3 damage or remove artifact spells and one spore. Same said for shackles - count the points 3+lock - how many points you deny? How many you could have made with a power play instead?
Flaminica is for a long round - engine deck, use it with Craitesword or commit to a full Svalblot engine deck with priests, heymaey protector, Joana, Lonship, self damage and the queensguard for thinning kind of deck.
You say you don't like discard, ok but it is the tool to controll your deck with this faction. If you don't want to use it, it's bad draw by choise, youre opponent will use his tools.
Hemdall? great but if you use him stick to warriors for damge. Don't deny yourself the buff by playing damage spells or Flaminica.
Use fanatics only with totems, there are better 4P cards. Brigant, those two Svalblot Warriors (self damage/3bleed)(2damage/bloodthirst:2 bleed), scirmishers if you use discard.
Totem again to support youre options for Wildcarl/Olaf. Combine it with Svalblod butchers? Cleavers? if Knut is not at Hand. Also Dogface and Sigwald even Brokwar Archer can do the last Ping.

Mainly what i am trying to say is you need more concept, and SK- raw points, best 4P/6Gain and 5p/7Gain Cards in game. Sometimes it's better to damage units instead of removing them in order to use bloodlust and even gain more Points from your next moves.
Look at the tempo of your deck. Are you aming for long rounds or short hands? And stick to it. If you have lots of tempo, always push. Even if you lose a card, Olaf - Knut - Jutta from graveyard or even from hand if you get olaf that extra ping to 14. amazing short finish

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have to agree with BrokeCiri here. Its fine to build your own deck on your own idea. I do it myself, mostly because it's the main fun in a TGC, imo.

But what exactly is the idea of your deck?
SK is a tempo faction, summoning circle a stalling tool
You say you are anoyed by locks, count the points you gain by removing the lock or just give him your next unit to deal with.
Btw Ale is not a good option, if your Wildkarl or Olaf are locked you don't want that extra 4 points. a buffed Wildkarl/Olaf is just more far away from his unic ability. Try that neutral "Wildeler"? (Sorry german account) 4 body purify on deploy. He won't brick as hard and can even remove stuff from opponents units.
Don't care for deathwish - just try to put more points/remove more points than youre opponent, again SK is about tempo. 4 Point removal, zero body is a bad deal. If you feel you need it take one of that 3 damage or remove artifact spells and one spore. Same said for shackles - count the points 3+lock - how many points you deny? How many you could have made with a power play instead?
Flaminica is for a long round - engine deck, use it with Craitesword or commit to a full Svalblot engine deck with priests, heymaey protector, Joana, Lonship, self damage and the queensguard for thinning kind of deck.
You say you don't like discard, ok but it is the tool to controll your deck with this faction. If you don't want to use it, it's bad draw by choise, youre opponent will use his tools.
Hemdall? great but if you use him stick to warriors for damge. Don't deny yourself the buff by playing damage spells or Flaminica.
Use fanatics only with totems, there are better 4P cards. Brigant, those two Svalblot Warriors (self damage/3bleed)(2damage/bloodthirst:2 bleed), scirmishers if you use discard.
Totem again to support youre options for Wildcarl/Olaf. Combine it with Svalblod butchers? Cleavers? if Knut is not at Hand. Also Dogface and Sigwald even Brokwar Archer can do the last Ping.

Mainly what i am trying to say is you need more concept, and SK- raw points, best 4P/6Gain and 5p/7Gain Cards in game. Sometimes it's better to damage units instead of removing them in order to use bloodlust and even gain more Points from your next moves.
Look at the tempo of your deck. Are you aming for long rounds or short hands? And stick to it. If you have lots of tempo, always push. Even if you lose a card, Olaf - Knut - Jutta from graveyard or even from hand if you get olaf that extra ping to 14. amazing short finish

I've played with every card you've mentioned, long and short, push and wait. It's an evolving deck, not a perfect one, because it evolves due to the opponent.

The game matchmaking is, in a word, garbage. It doesn't seem to matter what I WANT to do, the game will find the opponent that kills the plan.

You want to play a certain way, using someone like Sigvald, you absolutely guarantee you'll face the counter (Thunder? Lock? Whatever, it's boring as hell). Cards I don't face with that SK deck include Ida, False Ciri and Iris. But when I changed the deck and went with MO Arachas with Summoning (Vran), I INSTANTLY faced FOUR decks in a row that had artefact removal. I've literally just played against the SAME Monster deck - but guess what? Opponent had Summing Circle in R3, whilst mine was still in the goddam deck!!!

I just don't get it at all. The game is just pure bullshit, bud. I'm only farting around at Lvl 10 but all I face are the same handful of netdecks. It's not a creative game, it's a boring slog, zero imagination and you either tech a deck from Artuza or YouTube, or lose. And even if I played a Woodland deck, you can guarantee at the moment Old Speartip would stay in the deck!!

hmm I see...
I wanted to help with some hints, but you just seem to be one of those few who are suckerpunched bye the game itself.
I don't now what is wrong with the matchmaking/mmr but some ppl getting really punished and you are one of them.

Accutally, I wanted to prove my point and played a bit of Skellige today, guess what happend? Birna, Coral stayed in deck alongside with knut and Olaf. So i guess this game has really a wierd RNG :D

MMR != RNG

But the way you get to your MMR, that's RNG. But no card game is without RNG. It's the nature of a CCG. You having no fun, @nedders , of course doesn't mean Gwent is pure BS. It just means that you personally feel like it.

However, I don't understand what the purpose of your posts is? You take no advice, no help, no empathy, nothing. It seems your only goal is to troll the forums. Do you really expect anybody to confirm your hatred against Gwent, although he/she might enjoy it? Do you think, DSPR would create a game expecially for you, so that you can win every game with the exact gameplan you have in mind? That won't happen. Do you want DSPR to fail, lose millions and retract from operative business? That would take a shitstorm of immense proportions and won't succeed just on these forums.

I know you are no friend of hints and the like, but you mentioned Sigvald. I learned that I can get that card into awesome action by luring my opponent with some other charge card, or even cards like Eskel: Pathfinder. I don't care much about that card if I'm planning on Sigvald/Harald/Dagur or whatever else. But this is no guarantee. Of course the opponent might have 4 removal plus 2 lock units on hand. But not always. And that's where we're back to the nature of CCG.

This is not meant as an offense, I just really don't understand your intentions with your posts.

MMR != RNG

But the way you get to your MMR, that's RNG. But no card game is without RNG. It's the nature of a CCG. You having no fun, @nedders , of course doesn't mean Gwent is pure BS. It just means that you personally feel like it.

However, I don't understand what the purpose of your posts is? You take no advice, no help, no empathy, nothing. It seems your only goal is to troll the forums. Do you really expect anybody to confirm your hatred against Gwent, although he/she might enjoy it? Do you think, DSPR would create a game expecially for you, so that you can win every game with the exact gameplan you have in mind? That won't happen. Do you want DSPR to fail, lose millions and retract from operative business? That would take a shitstorm of immense proportions and won't succeed just on these forums.

I know you are no friend of hints and the like, but you mentioned Sigvald. I learned that I can get that card into awesome action by luring my opponent with some other charge card, or even cards like Eskel: Pathfinder. I don't care much about that card if I'm planning on Sigvald/Harald/Dagur or whatever else. But this is no guarantee. Of course the opponent might have 4 removal plus 2 lock units on hand. But not always. And that's where we're back to the nature of CCG.

This is not meant as an offense, I just really don't understand your intentions with your posts.

No offense taken, apologies if it seems like trolling - I'm trying to strongly put across a point about elements of the game being fundamentally broken, it's a mixture of sadness and disappointment that there's endless time and resource spent by CDPR in bringing in new cards, purely to sell more "loot boxes", when the core mechanics of the game don't work. It's also sad that they took so much player money, changed the game entirely, made it more like other CCG's and fundamentally about counters, with one eye fixed firmly on a mobile game to appeal to an entirely different market. My anger via posts is to demonstrate that people should never take any of this crap lying down - we should always stand up for what we believe in. I've paid money for games and disliked certain aspects, of course. But for Gwent I invested time and money in Beta helping to (so I thought) shape its' future - only to have the game ripped up and replaced by this RNG abomination. The RNG defines this game - whether that's the coin toss or the deal you get, that's all that matters. There's plenty of decks that could be competitive against each other and rely on skill, but this game craps on all of that in exchange for this matchmaking/deal deciding rubbish. I appreciate the "advice", but it's of no consequence - telling me what an awesome card can do is irrelevant if I can't keep that card on the board, or get it in my hand. If the deck I built can win a couple of times, it can't be that bad? No such thing as a perfect deck, is there? So my issue is then getting a series of 'unfortunate' match-ups, or 'bad deals' and losing a load of games, I don't get it at all.

"We want two rows instead of three", said nobody, ever. "We want a SMALLER hand size", said nobody, ever. "We want rid of blacklisting", "we want bronze restricted to 2", "we want weather to be pointless", "we want MORE hard counters", "we want provisions instead" said nobody, ever. So the anger in the way I post is because I, among many, spent time that's effectively been wasted. It continues to be wasted (well, until today!) because nothing is listened to. Tweaking a provision here and there is not addressing anything.

The dwindling player numbers, dwindling forum posts, all point to a game that is struggling. They (CDPR) seem to have lost sight of why it was successful - it was originally awesome because it brought a quirky game from the Witcher world to us, the Witcher player. They've now changed it so much that it no longer really appeals to Witcher fans. They did so in an attempt to get MTG players to switch allegiance, and with a firm goal of creating a 'loot box' type mobile game for kids. It hasn't worked, it continues not to work, but they are marching on relentless to the point where they won't be able to keep the lights on.

I mean, just look at this board? In the Gameplay section there are literally days passing without new posts. If CDPR can't understand this as a bad sign, then even those who inexplicably enjoy this game are going to have to find something else to do.

Perhaps the bronzes could be a bit better, I'm not a pro - not even that good - but I don't want to refer to someone else's deck.

For people really wanting to enjoy this game but need something good to play to have fun I strongly suggest just getting a deck that already works from someone else like a streamer. It might sound unappealing but there is nothing wrong with it. Some of my favorite decks are ones I picked up from a streamer. Then there are the times I see a concept that I like and I build the deck myself. For me I like to enjoy the game in all possible ways. It's fun to make decks entirely on your own and that can be extremely satisfying. However it takes a good amount of time to do that which I don't always have. Anyway there's some of my thoughts.

No offense taken, apologies if it seems like trolling - I'm trying to strongly put across a point about elements of the game being fundamentally broken, it's a mixture of sadness and disappointment that there's endless time and resource spent by CDPR in bringing in new cards, purely to sell more "loot boxes", when the core mechanics of the game don't work. It's also sad that they took so much player money, changed the game entirely, made it more like other CCG's and fundamentally about counters, with one eye fixed firmly on a mobile game to appeal to an entirely different market. My anger via posts is to demonstrate that people should never take any of this crap lying down - we should always stand up for what we believe in. I've paid money for games and disliked certain aspects, of course. But for Gwent I invested time and money in Beta helping to (so I thought) shape its' future - only to have the game ripped up and replaced by this RNG abomination. The RNG defines this game - whether that's the coin toss or the deal you get, that's all that matters. There's plenty of decks that could be competitive against each other and rely on skill, but this game craps on all of that in exchange for this matchmaking/deal deciding rubbish. I appreciate the "advice", but it's of no consequence - telling me what an awesome card can do is irrelevant if I can't keep that card on the board, or get it in my hand. If the deck I built can win a couple of times, it can't be that bad? No such thing as a perfect deck, is there? So my issue is then getting a series of 'unfortunate' match-ups, or 'bad deals' and losing a load of games, I don't get it at all.

"We want two rows instead of three", said nobody, ever. "We want a SMALLER hand size", said nobody, ever. "We want rid of blacklisting", "we want bronze restricted to 2", "we want weather to be pointless", "we want MORE hard counters", "we want provisions instead" said nobody, ever. So the anger in the way I post is because I, among many, spent time that's effectively been wasted. It continues to be wasted (well, until today!) because nothing is listened to. Tweaking a provision here and there is not addressing anything.

The dwindling player numbers, dwindling forum posts, all point to a game that is struggling. They (CDPR) seem to have lost sight of why it was successful - it was originally awesome because it brought a quirky game from the Witcher world to us, the Witcher player. They've now changed it so much that it no longer really appeals to Witcher fans. They did so in an attempt to get MTG players to switch allegiance, and with a firm goal of creating a 'loot box' type mobile game for kids. It hasn't worked, it continues not to work, but they are marching on relentless to the point where they won't be able to keep the lights on.

I mean, just look at this board? In the Gameplay section there are literally days passing without new posts. If CDPR can't understand this as a bad sign, then even those who inexplicably enjoy this game are going to have to find something else to do.
Thank you! A good post, that allows me to follow your thoughts!
As you might know, I'm only playing for 2 months. I'm currently around rank 18, played 420h. I still see cool tricks, I never thought of, and I still do mistakes. I never experienced the beta (and I wasn't even interested, because Gwint was so boring for me), and so HC is like the root version for me.

I don't miss a third row, since I only know the game with two rows. But I do see that there is a lack of differentiation. Most cards can be played on either row, but it should be an exception, a kind of special ability to use any of the rows (o_O back to Gwint?) Anyway, the distinction of rows (wether 2 or 200) should be more prominent.

I also see your argument. What's so special about a strong card if I don't get it on hand? Correct. But I also see the streak of games, where I DO get it on hand. That's the nature of RNG, yes. But it's also the nature of a card game, isn't it? From skat to poker, bridge to solitary, and of course modern ccg. It is always about trying to get the best cards on hand. There is not one of the most successful poker players that would have won more than lost.

I can't say anything about the quotes you made from what nobody ever said, simply because it refers to a time I never experienced. And since I don't know how Gwent was played before provisions, I neither prefer one system over the other, nor miss the old one.

I can just say this: The old times are gone. That is deeply frustrating for everybody who loved the old times. And it is a loss of players for Gwent, when those decide to not adapt to the new times. But it also won't change anything that people express their frustration and disappointment about a changed Gwent compared to Beta. As you said, CDPR will hold its course. But it's also their right to do so.

And don't get me wrong: I see a lot of issues with current Gwent, I see bugs (for example deploy cards suddenly having charge icons, which is really irritating), I see flaws in game mechanics (like almost meaningless row mechanics). And I certainly don't want Gwent to stay where it is at now. But I also see that there is no way back. Either Gwent improves in its current incarnation, or it will disappear sooner or later.

I'm willing to face any changes. When it doesn't work for me, I'm out. And as long as I don't feel like Gwent is a full version I won't invest money. I think that is the main difference between us. Your passion led you to spend money, which in return now lets you feel abused. I won't let that happen to me.

Top Bottom