Tarot Cards and a theory about their full meaning (endings, Fool on the Hill) - [SPOILER ALERT]

+
For all Cyberpunk 2077's ups and downs, there is one interesting part of it that left me utterly fascinated in the way how writers pulled it off: Those tarot cards, their meaning, and their symbolism in the story. So far, I wasn't able to find any post that wouldn't it tie those cards just to the Fool of the Hill quest and Misty's readings, however from what I saw, there is even more than this in those cards. and as I love how those cards and their locations symbolise a journey and a character tied to the place, and how they are far more interconnected to the story then it might be apparent at first glance, I just had to write it down, firstly as a Youtube comment, and now on this forum.

NETRUNNERS BEWARE - SPOILERS AHEAD

The Fool - the Fool is V... the mural is right next to his/her/their apartment.

The Magician - The Magican symbolises Johnny Silverhand... it is located near Lizzie's, a place that eventually leads you, through Evelyn Parker and her unwilling desire for the biochip, to Johnny. The Magican's talents, his will, and his self-confidence, those are attributes Johnny posesses. The scheming nature of the Magican and adaptability also hint many layers to Evelyn Parker, and her many faces she hides behind, and those attributes are her as well. In a more literal sense, that of a BD magican, it also represents Judy.

The High Priestess - Hanako Arasaka... this mural is located in the abandoned building, in which you go into to speak with Hanako for the first time. It symbolises the fragile web of secrets, and that there is a struggle between V's intuition and common sense incoming, a struggle in which Hanako plays a major part.

The Empress - Rogue... she is the authoritative, in a way "motherly" figure behind parts of the story, she relies on her intuition... it is only fitting that this Tarot is next to Afterlife, which Rogue owns.

The Emperor - Saburo Arasaka, the "emperor" of Arasaka Corporation... the controling patriarch, dominating, ruthless, enforcing his view of "common good", tries to shape the future... very fitting that this mural is placed on an outer wall of Konpeki Plazza, the place of Saburo's death.

The Hierophant - Takemura and Oda... they stick to tradition and their ways, and Takemura is a voice of order, even if that order is forced upon others by a megacorp. It is of no coincidence that this mural is located right where the first of his chain of quests begin.

Strengh - Panam Palmer... Strengh is a symbol of resilience, bravery and determination, attributes that are Panam's own. The fact that this mural is located right next to where you first meet her only accentuates this connection.

The Hermit - Voodoo boys, Maman Brigitte, but also Alt Cunningham... The Hermit is located on the church in Pacifica that is the base for the elusive Voodoo boys. It symbolises return to the old ways, which for this gang means returning to the imagery of the voodoo, as well as their desire to return to a pre-Netwatch Net... Hermit's self-imposed isolation, small step progress and old ways are also fundamental to Alt, as her current form, an AI beyond Blackwall, is in a way in a self-imprisonment, and she desperately clings to the few things that still make her Alt, to her previous life, even if she denies it.

Wheel of Fortune - Hellman, crossroads, and a closure of one path, while at the same time opening of another... it represents an imminent change, hope, but also warns us that success isn't permanent. Its location at the motel where Panam concocts the plan to down the AV, thus changing unknowingly her own fate due to her clan's involvement. It is at this same location where V finds out that Hellman can't help him, and that Hanako Arasaka wants to speak to him, choices that both change the direction of his search.

Justice - the mural is at the place where Evelyn Parker got her "punishment" for deeds she did, and when you and Judy deliver justice upon those who harmed her. Also, it is another of Judy's aspects, as she would want to help Moxes and Clouds to get the justice they deserve.

The Hanged Man - a symbol of relationship between V and Johnny, one that would have to end in sacrifice to lead into a new life... located right next to where Johnny's body is burried. A quest that leads here is one of those pivotal to unlock the secret ending.

The Lovers - Johnny and Rogue... the place it is on is tied to an important personal quest between those two formr lovers, and the place where they try to find a balance between them for the last time.

The Chariot - one of the less obvious ones, representing choices that are given to you after the heist... like the Chariot, V is pulled in opposite directions, chasing leads... Finding Evelyn Parker? Going with Takemura's plan? Following Johnny's advice and asking Rogue to track Hellman? So many leads, so little time.

Death - on the wall of Embers lies Death... the place where you chose to accept Hanako Arasaka's offer, thus sealing your fate. The transition is difficult, and you lose more than you think.

Temperance - On a wall of Columbarium, there lies the symbol of achieving balance... this one is tied to V's soul-death and to Johnny Silverhand, as he, through V's sacrifice, achieve his inner peace, matures, and even though he is now in control of the body, now fully his, he remembers, and is changed by the experience, thus his equilibrium is shifted by V's actions... this ending, finishing right next to Columbarium, is also named "Temperance".

The Tower - literary the Arasaka Tower... it is here where Johnny's journey ended in catastrophy, the place of a literal catastrophy of a nuclear attack, where the monstrous soul-prison of Mikoshi lies, where all but one of game endings lead through. It also represents the oppresive nature of Arasaka

The Star - located in Badlands, at an antenna near the border, this card is tied to Nomads, their freedom, and to the ending path with Panam and Altecaldos, literary named "The Star" in achievments... it represents hope in that ending, making it one of the supposed good ones.

The Moon - hiding on the side of Arasaka mansion in North Oak, belonging to Hanako Arasaka, the Moon represents the hidden aspect of both Arasaka company, and the secretive nature of Hanako herself...

The Sun - located on a wall near V's megabuilding, its meaning is revealed later, because if you look around, you find out that the wall is right next to the mansion that V owns in "The Sun" ending (both the Rogue's path and secret ending)... It symbolises the success, freedom and bright future that V might be guided to, as well as a renewal of the world. It is also tied to the truth, makes me believe that this is supposed to be the true "best" ending of Cyberpunk... Sun also reveals world's secrets, and in this ending, the illusive "mr. Blue Eyes" reveals himself directly to V... thus we come to direct contact with the hidden mastermind/puppet behind some of those shady events that may or may not be orchestrated by Night Corp, rogue AI, techno-necromancers from Alpha Centauri, remnants of the Gang of Four or some other, hidden force.

The World - a symbol of a moment of reckoning, this tarot represents V's choice that irreversibly leads to different endings... located above Misty's Esoterica shop near the only place where you decide which of those available endings V takes, it is only fitting that it sits there.

There also two cards missing. One of them gets revealed later, the other is only briefly seen:

The Judgement - Resurrection, renewal, liberation, change, and for Arasaka company and Adam Smasher literaly the judgement of their deeds... This card appears only if you chose to stand up against Arasaka, after you fight with Smasher in Mikoshi. It also symbolicaly marks the "good" endings from the two (or three, if you count suicide by Arasaka when you die during the secret ending as a separate one) "bad" ones. It represents the liberation of Night City from Arasaka's influence, as by giving Alt to Mikoshi, you release engrams into the Net, and by destroying the place, you destroy all assets that Arasaka invested into it. For V, it represents renewal, change and resurrection, for Johnny it could mean liberation from his vendetta or resurrection if you choose to give him V's body. For Adam Smasher, it is judgement for his bloody trail and for "killing" Johnny (and/or killing Mitch Saul or Rogue), for Arasaka, it is a judgement for all that happened in Mikoshi and for their lies.

The Devil - Briefly seen in V's "The Devil" ending in a dream on Arasaka's space clinic, the Devil represents selling your soul... The Devil, in the form of Hellman (Hell-man... coincidence?) or Takemura, gives you an offer and a choice. One leads to a slim posibility of fully restoring your life, but you literaly sell your soul to Arasaka, in form of an engram. The other is a rejection, but you have to live the little time you have left with the choices weiighting heavily on your conscience... Also, it is interesting that the Devil's face on the card is a Maelstrom's head, as Maelstrom gang is the one tied to some of those mysterious sidequests, filled with conspiracies, mind control, rituals, summoning entities and men in suits with shining, blue eyes... a different kind of the Devil.

Details like this are one of those things that made me really hooked to the way this game presents its story, and even if there are many legitimate reasons for criticising CDPR, this in my humble opinion is not one of them.

What's your take?

Last edited:
After reading that, my piss poor wording on anythings babyish at best so i'll keep it to myself.

Nice read m8, thnxz for sharing

Interesting.

I also had the Lovers card come up when I was romancing Panam and chose her ending (when Misty reads your Tarot while you wait for your ride).

She even gave me the big sister glare and was like (paraphrasing) "V... you been hiding from me you got a gf???" :LOL:

Yea, again, it's the whole cybermysticism angle every story in the genre has to do in a way these days, from the Christian overtones in Matrix to greek mythology in Deus Ex... I find it kinda boring and pretentious at this point.

some of these points are touched upon in this thread as well, very interesting indeed

Motsie

Forum regular
The Star - located in Badlands, at an antenna near the border, this card is tied to Nomads, their freedom, and to the ending path with Panam and Altecaldos, literary named "The Star" in achievments... it represents hope in that ending, making it one of the supposed good ones.

In the Star ending, when Misty lays out a tarot reading, she says she drew the chariot, the lovers, and the sun. Is 'the sun' an accident? It feels like it should be 'the star' tarot card because it represents hope (and matches the achievement name).

Ah yes, finally, someone that cares about stuff likes this.

A wonderful read. Put everything together really nicely.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mitch wasn't killed by Smasher, Saul was...

Sorry, mixed up those two when I wrote that, corrected...

In the Star ending, when Misty lays out a tarot reading, she says she drew the chariot, the lovers, and the sun. Is 'the sun' an accident? It feels like it should be 'the star' tarot card because it represents hope (and matches the achievement name).

Dunno... both the Sun and the Star are positive cards tied to hope and bright future... Sun is more of the bright future while the Star is more about hope, so when Misty draws the Sun card there, it is about the bright future with Altecaldos, while the Star is IMHO a better representation of the ending overall (it is the most filled with hope for V)... Honestly I don't think those tarots that Misty draws during credits have that much of a tie-in to the name of achievement's ending, they are more like describing V's current situation during credits...

Anyone remember the first 3 cards they found?

The Sun, The Fool, The Chariot

Last edited:
Yea, again, it's the whole cybermysticism angle every story in the genre has to do in a way these days, from the Christian overtones in Matrix to greek mythology in Deus Ex... I find it kinda boring and pretentious at this point.

As opposed to a wholly materialistic cyberpunk that is empty of greater meaning?

I love the juxtaposition of the singulairty only be comprehensible through humanity's relationship to religion.

Technology has become the new godhead.

Have you tried in Ghost in the Shell universes, especially the movie from 1995 and later the Stand Alone Complex series? Their deep questions are more about philosophy, society, matter of consciousness (or "soul") and what it means to be human in a more or less cyberpunk world instead of religious or spiritual aspects. That might be something for you (though you might find yourself bored by those things, too). And there is always the corpo way ;)

However, would I be wrong to claim that the clash between human nature and technology, between the soul and body, between natural and artificial, between freedom and control or between spiritual and materialistic are essential atributes in cyberpunk setting?

Mysticism and spirituality is one way how we humans deal with things in the world. We tend to believe, even if those things we beileve in might not be necessarily seen as spiritual (the belief in material wealth, belief in communist ideals, belief in science, belief in freedom, belief in conspiracies, etc).

For all Cyberpunk 2077's ups and downs, there is one interesting part of it that left me utterly fascinated in the way how writers pulled it off: Those tarot cards, their meaning, and their symbolism in the story. So far, I wasn't able to find any post that wouldn't it tie those cards just to the Fool of the Hill quest and Misty's readings, however from what I saw, there is even more than this in those cards. and as I love how those cards and their locations symbolise a journey and a character tied to the place, and how they are far more interconnected to the story then it might be apparent at first glance, I just had to write it down, firstly as a Youtube comment, and now on this forum.

NETRUNNERS BEWARE - SPOILERS AHEAD

The Fool - the Fool is V... the mural is right next to his/her/their apartment.

The Magician - The Magican symbolises Johnny Silverhand... it is located near Lizzie's, a place that eventually leads you, through Evelyn Parker and her unwilling desire for the biochip, to Johnny. The Magican's talents, his will, and his self-confidence, those are attributes Johnny posesses. The scheming nature of the Magican and adaptability also hint many layers to Evelyn Parker, and her many faces she hides behind, and those attributes are her as well. In a more literal sense, that of a BD magican, it also represents Judy.

The High Priestess - Hanako Arasaka... this mural is located in the abandoned building, in which you go into to speak with Hanako for the first time. It symbolises the fragile web of secrets, and that there is a struggle between V's intuition and common sense incoming, a struggle in which Hanako plays a major part.

The Empress - Rogue... she is the authoritative, in a way "motherly" figure behind parts of the story, she relies on her intuition... it is only fitting that this Tarot is next to Afterlife, which Rogue owns.

The Emperor - Saburo Arasaka, the "emperor" of Arasaka Corporation... the controling patriarch, dominating, ruthless, enforcing his view of "common good", tries to shape the future... very fitting that this mural is placed on an outer wall of Konpeki Plazza, the place of Saburo's death.

The Hierophant - Takemura and Oda... they stick to tradition and their ways, and Takemura is a voice of order, even if that order is forced upon others by a megacorp. It is of no coincidence that this mural is located right where the first of his chain of quests begin.

Strengh - Panam Palmer... Strengh is a symbol of resilience, bravery and determination, attributes that are Panam's own. The fact that this mural is located right next to where you first meet her only accentuates this connection.

The Hermit - Voodoo boys, Maman Brigitte, but also Alt Cunningham... The Hermit is located on the church in Pacifica that is the base for the elusive Voodoo boys. It symbolises return to the old ways, which for this gang means returning to the imagery of the voodoo, as well as their desire to return to a pre-Netwatch Net... Hermit's self-imposed isolation, small step progress and old ways are also fundamental to Alt, as her current form, an AI beyond Blackwall, is in a way in a self-imprisonment, and she desperately clings to the few things that still make her Alt, to her previous life, even if she denies it.

Wheel of Fortune - Hellman, crossroads, and a closure of one path, while at the same time opening of another... it represents an imminent change, hope, but also warns us that success isn't permanent. Its location at the motel where Panam concocts the plan to down the AV, thus changing unknowingly her own fate due to her clan's involvement. It is at this same location where V finds out that Hellman can't help him, and that Hanako Arasaka wants to speak to him, choices that both change the direction of his search.

Justice - the mural is at the place where Evelyn Parker got her "punishment" for deeds she did, and when you and Judy deliver justice upon those who harmed her. Also, it is another of Judy's aspects, as she would want to help Moxes and Clouds to get the justice they deserve.

The Hanged Man - a symbol of relationship between V and Johnny, one that would have to end in sacrifice to lead into a new life... located right next to where Johnny's body is burried. A quest that leads here is one of those pivotal to unlock the secret ending.

The Lovers - Johnny and Rogue... the place it is on is tied to an important personal quest between those two formr lovers, and the place where they try to find a balance between them for the last time.

The Chariot - one of the less obvious ones, representing choices that are given to you after the heist... like the Chariot, V is pulled in opposite directions, chasing leads... Finding Evelyn Parker? Going with Takemura's plan? Following Johnny's advice and asking Rogue to track Hellman? So many leads, so little time.

Death - on the wall of Embers lies Death... the place where you chose to accept Hanako Arasaka's offer, thus sealing your fate. The transition is difficult, and you lose more than you think.

Temperance - On a wall of Columbarium, there lies the symbol of achieving balance... this one is tied to V's soul-death and to Johnny Silverhand, as he, through V's sacrifice, achieve his inner peace, matures, and even though he is now in control of the body, now fully his, he remembers, and is changed by the experience, thus his equilibrium is shifted by V's actions... this ending, finishing right next to Columbarium, is also named "Temperance".

The Tower - literary the Arasaka Tower... it is here where Johnny's journey ended in catastrophy, the place of a literal catastrophy of a nuclear attack, where the monstrous soul-prison of Mikoshi lies, where all but one of game endings lead through. It also represents the oppresive nature of Arasaka

The Moon - hiding on the side of Arasaka mansion in North Oak, belonging to Hanako Arasaka, the Moon represents the hidden aspect of both Arasaka company, and the secretive nature of Hanako herself...

The Sun - located on a wall near V's megabuilding, its meaning is revealed later, because if you look around, you find out that the wall is right next to the mansion that V owns in "The Sun" ending (both the Rogue's path and secret ending)... It symbolises the success, freedom and bright future that V might be guided to, as well as a renewal of the world. It is also tied to the truth, makes me believe that this is supposed to be the true "best" ending of Cyberpunk... Sun also reveals world's secrets, and in this ending, the illusive "mr. Blue Eyes" reveals himself directly to V... thus we come to direct contact with the hidden mastermind/puppet behind some of those shady events that may or may not be orchestrated by Night Corp, rogue AI, techno-necromancers from Alpha Centauri, remnants of the Gang of Four or some other, hidden force.

The World - a symbol of a moment of reckoning, this tarot represents V's choice that irreversibly leads to different endings... located above Misty's Esoterica shop near the only place where you decide which of those available endings V takes, it is only fitting that it sits there.

There also two cards missing. One of them gets revealed later, the other is only briefly seen:

The Judgement - Resurrection, renewal, liberation, change, and for Arasaka company and Adam Smasher literaly the judgement of their deeds... This card appears only if you chose to stand up against Arasaka, after you fight with Smasher in Mikoshi. It also symbolicaly marks the "good" endings from the two (or three, if you count suicide by Arasaka when you die during the secret ending as a separate one) "bad" ones. It represents the liberation of Night City from Arasaka's influence, as by giving Alt to Mikoshi, you release engrams into the Net, and by destroying the place, you destroy all assets that Arasaka invested into it. For V, it represents renewal, change and resurrection, for Johnny it could mean liberation from his vendetta or resurrection if you choose to give him V's body. For Adam Smasher, it is judgement for his bloody trail and for "killing" Johnny (and/or killing Mitch Saul or Rogue), for Arasaka, it is a judgement for all that happened in Mikoshi and for their lies.

The Devil - Briefly seen in V's "The Devil" ending in a dream on Arasaka's space clinic, the Devil represents selling your soul... The Devil, in the form of Hellman (Hell-man... coincidence?) or Takemura, gives you an offer and a choice. One leads to a slim posibility of fully restoring your life, but you literaly sell your soul to Arasaka, in form of an engram. The other is a rejection, but you have to live the little time you have left with the choices weiighting heavily on your conscience... Also, it is interesting that the Devil's face on the card is a Maelstrom's head, as Maelstrom gang is the one tied to some of those mysterious sidequests, filled with conspiracies, mind control, rituals, summoning entities and men in suits with shining, blue eyes... a different kind of the Devil.

Details like this are one of those things that made me really hooked to the way this game presents its story, and even if there are many legitimate reasons for criticising CDPR, this in my humble opinion is not one of them.

What's your take?
I personaly have a problem whit some of the interpretation on Cyberpunk universe vs well..."real" Tarots meaning.

In particular, The Chariot description seem to describe only the reading when it's upsidedown: opposition, lack of direction. While upright is one of the strongest positive card in major arcana: willpower, success, action, determination.

Interestingly enough the leads that V follow, have succesful conclusion in finding Evelyn, the VodooBoys, ecc.

Also in "the Stars" ending, if you follow the RL interpretation of Misty reading, the chariot (IMHO) stand for complete and absolute victory over what traspire in the previos weeks and in future life choises.
(My knowledge on the subject are very limited, and I will gladly welcome to stand corrected by expert on the matter.)

Ps: I will gladly purchase a deck of tarots with the inlustrations from the game. I like them a lot.

Top Bottom