Tech Details on Game Engine

+
Tech Details on Game Engine

Just a question for CDPR or anyone in the know :)Haven't particularly been following TW2 closely so forgive me if this has been asked over before (don't get me wrong, I think TW1 was the best RPG in a long while and probably still is), but I'm just wondering if we can get any info on the game engine being used.What DirectX version will it be using and what kinds of graphical enhancements can we expect? Will it be DX11, will it use tessellation or any other fancy tech etc etc.How is the engine as far as multi-threaded scaling? Will we see nice improvements from running quad cores?Any other juicy tidbits on the game engine would be awesome. Come on CDPR! Tell us about your awesome engine (do you guys have a name for it? Should call it the Frontl1ne Engine) :D

It's called “Tsood Engine”.http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=28407If you look at the Technology section of the faq, there is some info about the engine in there.. And there is also a system requirements info in the end what will give some insight how well it's going to run..

afaik it is ONLY dx9 atm but they said they will think about adding dx10 maybe later. the difference between dx9 & dx10 is negligible but dx11 tesselation would be sweet, if I would be in their shoes though - I would not do it, the install base is just too small for a few effects and so much work. They could not even use it on consoles since they are only DX9 as well.

If i were them, I would shy away from DirectX 11, unless they can offer DirectX 9 as an alternative. I remember the (justified, I think) cries over not being able to play Just Cause 2 because it did not support DirectX 9 (and thus, all Windows XP users). I personally have Windows 7, and my video card supports DirextX 11, but to restrict your potential player base to nothing but people who can use DirectX 10 or 11 is asinine. Having both is possible, though it's probably a fair chunk of additional work on the devs side. When I played the demo of Civilization 5, it asked if you wanted to install the DirectX 9 or the 10/11 version.

thanks for the replies and special thanks eskimo for the link to the faq.hopefully tw2 is much better optimised graphically, i remember tw1 running really poorly under any hardware setup ;)

RayeGunn said:
If i were them, I would shy away from DirectX 11, unless they can offer DirectX 9 as an alternative. I remember the (justified, I think) cries over not being able to play Just Cause 2 because it did not support DirectX 9 (and thus, all Windows XP users). I personally have Windows 7, and my video card supports DirextX 11, but to restrict your potential player base to nothing but people who can use DirectX 10 or 11 is asinine. Having both is possible, though it's probably a fair chunk of additional work on the devs side. When I played the demo of Civilization 5, it asked if you wanted to install the DirectX 9 or the 10/11 version.
Eh!? Just Cause 2 supports DX9, it even says so right in the box. The only two games that I know of that support only DX 10 and above is Halo 2 and Shattered Horizon. Halo 2 was Microsofts dick move at making more money thinking it will drive sales up with Windows Vista and Shattered horizon is the only game made specifically for DX10.Every other game that has DX11 is backwards compatible so no worries there. I would honestly like the Witcher 2 to have the option of DX11 rendering. All the more reason for me to upgrade :)

MeatsOfEvil said:
I would honestly like the Witcher 2 to have the option of DX11 rendering. All the more reason for me to upgrade :)
Me too, tesselation would be sweet in spite of all nay-sayers :DBTW I hope they do a better job at rendering hair. Triss' hair appears to move all at once in certain shots. Even Geralt's hair in TW1 had a few strands moving independently.

IMO as long as windows xp is alive(just die already!) and consoles only support dx9 there are no real benefit of having dx11 capable system.. Most of the time dx10/11 features that games have are poorly executed and just make some things slightly better looking but make the game noticeably heavier.. I just hope that if CDPR implement some dx10/11 stuff they do it properly..

I hope this will be a good engine (good being = it looks great and yet runs very smoothly, hack ask me to upgrade my graphic card sure just don't crush or bug out on me), it sure looks very fluid and responsive from the vids. I don't know about the PC but the 360 version looks good we've seen some gameplay being run on it and it was smooth, I just hope the PC and console version will be close to each other (for the sake of the console players, I'm going to buy it for the PC myself).

Nsis said:
the 360 version looks good we've seen some gameplay being run on it and it was smooth
There was no console version showed, at least yet. As for now - only PC version is confirmed, PS3 / X360 - "when we have something playable, we'll show you".

eskiMoe said:
IMO as long as windows xp is alive(just die already!) and consoles only support dx9 there are no real benefit of having dx11 capable system.. Most of the time dx10/11 features that games have are poorly executed and just make some things slightly better looking but make the game noticeably heavier.. I just hope that if CDPR implement some dx10/11 stuff they do it properly..
IMO as long as windows xp is alive(just die already!) THIS is a line that just HAS TO BE LOVED LMAO ROFL and PMSL ahhhhhhhhhhAGREE technology and all tht bizarre crap that comes with it..... its about moving forward not about ahhh i like it here can i stay (WINDOWS XP) DX 11 all the way... gimme full force please imsure my computer can take it... unless of course this will pus hback he release date... in that case FORGET IT REALEASE IT AS AEARLY AS POSS IM TIRED OF WAITING and well./...... mh i just want to play the god damned game already

KayleWtcherdoms said:
IMO as long as windows xp is alive(just die already!) THIS is a line that just HAS TO BE LOVED LMAO ROFL and PMSL ahhhhhhhhhhAGREE technology and all tht bizarre crap that comes with it..... its about moving forward not about ahhh i like it here can i stay (WINDOWS XP) DX 11 all the way... gimme full force please imsure my computer can take it... unless of course this will pus hback he release date... in that case FORGET IT REALEASE IT AS AEARLY AS POSS IM TIRED OF WAITING and well./...... mh i just want to play the god damned game already
uhm.. what?

mothra said:
afaik it is ONLY dx9 atm but they said they will think about adding dx10 maybe later. the difference between dx9 & dx10 is negligible but dx11 tesselation would be sweet, if I would be in their shoes though - I would not do it, the install base is just too small for a few effects and so much work. They could not even use it on consoles since they are only DX9 as well.
DX11 is backward compatible with DX10, so it makes sense for them to implement DX11 rather than just DX10.DX10 cards just won't be able to turn on the special features that DX11 cards can, ie tessellation etc..

don t dream folks, tw2 would be require good configuration as all beautifull game . and they said ( the producer ect) that s the game when he come out ( 15/02/2011 >15/04/2011) require a medium upper configuration (thats about what you find in the store a t this time for (1000 >1500 euros)

clst said:
don t dream folks, tw2 would be require good configuration as all beautifull game . and they said ( the producer ect) that s the game when he come out ( 15/02/2011 >15/04/2011) require a medium upper configuration (thats about what you find in the store a t this time for (1000 >1500 euros)
And if you built it by yourself it's not gonna be even close to 1000€.. More like 700-800€ if you know where to buy the parts..

Top Bottom