Techie skills

+
What skills/gameplay is affected by being a Techie? Lore wise Techies are mechanics, healers through technology, ripperdocs/cyberware installers. How do these things manifest in game?
I feel like there might be a few skill trees that will open up mid game like an Interface tree based on intelligence and maybe a crafting tree for techies.
Will there be a unique skill to rapidly heal yourself with nanobots as a way to be combat viable as a full techie?
We saw in the first gameplay reveal that having a high enough “engineering” skill can open up alternate pathways for the player, same with hacking, and we also saw alternate paths that require high mobility.
As anyone that has seen my comments on the forums can tell I love the MTOD12 “Flathead” Militech Spiderbot. It was hinted in a Q&A that the flathead might have upgrades that make it combat ready, that is probably going to be a techie skill.
It has also been confirmed that there will be high levels of sophistication when it comes to crafting, we can make weapon mods/upgrades and presumably shards and possible whole cyberware? What stat is crafting going to be based on, or is it going to be something open to all characters regardless of stat allocations?

what are your thoughts? What would you like to see from techie skills in Cyberpunk 2077?

Guest 3847602

Probably some unique weapon and vehicle upgrades, using drone and spiderbot during missions, few techie-exclusive dialogues and so on...
Hopefully, there'll be more to it, because if what I said is true, it's gonna be the most boring class to play as.

I imagine the techie will encompas the more hacker oriented skills
hacker oriented skills are netrunner, not techie.

They've said techie skills will be around crafting, cyber wear, upgrading your spiderbot. I think a good way to think about it would be to compare it to other rolls in fantasy RPGs. Solo = warrior Netrunner = mage Techie = alchemist

I imagine the techie will encompas the more hacker oriented skills
What? No. Not at all. Netrunner will encompass the hacker skills. Techie basically covers every thing technology wise that ISN’T hacking. The only overlap is the making/implanting of the cyberware, and neural links/interfaces with technology.

I remember, that in the "deep dive" demo, the netrunner and solo builds were shown in the beginning, and the solo had really high tech skill. To what end, I can't help but wonder. I hope its not a static buff to your cybernetics..

builds.jpg

ROLES/CLASSES
Roles are important to the design of the game. They will form the archetypes of different ways to approach missions and the environmental levels in Night City. While there are three builds to focus on, levels are actually being designed so that while there are three roles, those roles actually fit into one of four archetypes - strong solo, fast solo, techie or netrunner. In layman term this means you can build your V to be a tank, a "cyberninja," a hacker or an engineer. For a bit of a closer look at the three roles, here are some brief descriptions:

Netrunner: The elite hackers of the world, their skills can grant them access to mundane objects like doors, to more intricate systems such as security cameras and encryption, and even people's brains. This is also the class most likely to resort to stealth in gameplay. So lots of sneaking around, overhearing enemy conversations, stealth take-downs and hacking systems. Just about everything in Night City is connected to some sort of network, and a network can be hacked.

Techie: The engineers, renegade mechanics and medics, techies are able to build and use a variety of weapons, gear, and items to augment their playstyle. For example, techies use engineering to operate the Flathead, a spider-like robot that has dynamic camouflage armor and motor impulses rivaling that of the human nervous system. It can scale walls, help the player pinpoint enemies, or even shoot enemies for you itself. Techies are also more efficient with collecting supplies and crafting than other builds.

Solo: Mercenaries whose skills focus on combat and weapon usage. They are strong and fast, and the most capable melee opponents. If your preferred means of dealing with challenges is violence, then becoming a Solo may be just the ticket for you. Whether you want to shoot it, slice it, or hit it, the Solo is the one to make it happen.

So depending on what you want to do in the game, V can specialize in one area, or can make a hybrid build using the game's fluid class system. Each class is going to have some great abilities, so no matter what the player picks, they'll have fun ways to approach challenges. There is no class to pick at the very beginning of the game in the character creator. Instead, the stats, skills and perks we use and improve over the course of our game slowly over time determine our build for us.

^
Useful but not incredibly so for Techies, sadly.

We can use engineering to operate the spiderbot. So, one example of using engineering. What I'd like to know is what else can engineering be used to do? More examples would be neat. Same deal with crafting and collecting supplies. What specific benefits does this provide? Details....

One would think a game allegedly in the polishing phase would have the majority of such details fleshed out. The intended, finished state of them certainly should be.

For a slight OT note, this is how I feel about further content releases. These type of details.... I'd like to know them. Instead.... radio silence. Hopefully as it nears release we get such info. Not another demo or whatever covering already known info.

Guest 4211861

I think it will be Shadowrun-style, where the rigger (term for a professional drone guy) can control de drone and use it to infiltrate buildings, open doors, attack guards if the alarm goes, etc.

My question is: will there be just the spider, or will CDPR create other types of usable drones? we saw in the 2018 trailer the corpo drone launched from the corp truck, which was a flying drone (which could be a good idea for a cheap dlc)

make cyberpunk 2018 again!

maybe we can find out more on June 11th... maybe

Currently we know of only the spider bot (Flathead) and have no reason to expect other drones.

As to Techie ... they'll be the masters of whatever crafting exists in CP2077. Solos use guns and armor, Techs make and improve them. Netrunners use computers and the net, Techs create the tools they so so with. People drive cars/motorcycles, Techs customize them.

Currently we know of only the spider bot (Flathead) and have no reason to expect other drones.

As to Techie ... they'll be the masters of whatever crafting exists in CP2077. Solos use guns and armor, Techs make and improve them. Netrunners use computers and the net, Techs create the tools they so so with. People drive cars/motorcycles, Techs customize them.
Both you and @Rawls (is that how this works? W/E) seem to forget that in the Cyberpunk universe Medics/ ripperdocs/ Trauma Team count as Techies. So maybe with high enough tech skills we can just implant most cyberware on our own? Minus full limb replacements ect.

personally I’d love to see a Boston dynamics style dog sized robot/drone. Draw more parallels with the dark future and our own.
Post automatically merged:

You are right about 4 archetypes for level design. I had only listed Mobility, Hacking, and Engineering, but I forgot about brute strength. We saw V rip open a door at the gamescom demo. So maybe there will be more strength options like busting through a wall, moving an obstacle, bending bars ect.

Last edited:
Ummmm ... the first sentence of the blurb on techies.
Right but how does that manifest in game is the question. I’d say 50% of all techies in the Cyberpunk universe are medics/physicians/ripperdocs. Your quote has 1 word, “medics” and then precedes to ignore a massive portion of the techie skillbase. Just focusing on crafting. Idk seems like ignoring it to me.

Both you and @Rawls (is that how this works? W/E) seem to forget that in the Cyberpunk universe Medics/ ripperdocs/ Trauma Team count as Techies. So maybe with high enough tech skills we can just implant most cyberware on our own? Minus full limb replacements ect.
Actually ... sort of ....
In CP2020, a team game, Techs can also be MediTechs, in CP2077 with it's focus on single player I seriously doubt MediTech will be an option. While it's true there have been rare cases of RL doctors/medics treating themselves it's hardly practical in most cases.

Actually ... sort of ....
In CP2020, a team game, Techs can also be MediTechs, in CP2077 with it's focus on single player I seriously doubt MediTech will be an option. While it's true there have been rare cases of RL doctors/medics treating themselves it's hardly practical in most cases.
In the Deep dive + Q&A from 8 months ago they talked about augmentation on the fly. Here ill link it
For the purposes if this thread relevant conversation starts 37:00 ish

I thought nerve were important for guns. but Solo Build has only 1/4 nerve and Netrunner 6/9 nerve. Am I missing something?:shrug:

I thought nerve were important for guns. but Solo Build has only 1/4 nerve and Netrunner 6/9 nerve. Am I missing something?
Nerve? You mean COOL?
Since the Solo build is a melee build the "sniping" perks governed by COOL are probably mostly irrelevant. Whereas our Netrunner doesn't have the Solo's melee or shooting ability they need to make every shot count so probably plans to be a "sniper".
Also the 1/4 and 6/9 are merely the current number of "perks" in that attribute, 1 of 4 for the Solo, 6 of 9 for the Netrunner. You'll note the Netrunner is very focused on "Assassination" and "Sniper", the Solo isn't. If the Netrunner doesn't put many points in "Nerve" even tho their potential is 9 the Solo may put 4 into it and have a higher actual "Nerve" then the Netrunner even tho their potential is lower at 4.

No, I meant nerve.
I was just wondering why netrunner nerve values are so high. 6/9 Nerve. But I think you're right about sniper rifle.
Strange, netrunner has 14 perks and solo only 11.
Both are level 18 and Cred 11

We finally need more information:giveup:

Attachments

• Skill Tree.jpg
    Skill Tree.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Top Bottom