Tell me I'm lying though [pre-order games?]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the real reason of preordering smth in months, or even years before the release. What for? That is beyond me.

I do preorders too, but in a day or two before the release, just to save time for downloading (on PC). And I try don't preorder Playstation games since there is no refund. Only if I'm 100% sure that I will play it, like Naughty Dog games.

I don't get the real reason of preordering smth in months, or even years before the release. What for? That is beyond me.

I do preorders too, but in a day or two before the release, just to save time for downloading (on PC). And I try don't preorder Playstation games since there is no refund. Only if I'm 100% sure that I will play it, like Naughty Dog games.
I pre ordered CP i believe 30th September 2020, why? Because my birthday was that day i got money given to me to treat myself to a game and nothing appealed to me apart from just slapping a pre order on a game i knew i wanted to play day 1 but never knew if i would have the money then to get it as it was close to christmas, new console release and 2 family birthdays in the same month so i had a spare £60 that day with no game i wanted to buy but 1 i wanted when it was available so i made sure i got it when it was finally available 😊

I pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077, nearly two years ago; and I'll pre-order CD Projekt's next one. I don't imagine it will be perfect, either; but I'm confident that it will nevertheless be worth it, as this one is.

That's one of the reasons why it will never be "perfect".

There's (almost) no reason to preorder. You can always buy some game 1 second after it is released.

I buy collectibles, usually with steelbooks and I bought the collector's edition and they typically sell out pretty fast (not in this case though) that's mostly why I preordered it. Although I usually preorder most of my movie and games so I'm accustomed to it.

I'd only pre-order if I was very certain about a game and what I saw so far convinced me and if I would've gotten some nice bonuses that I like, like ingame objects, skins, clothes, etc.

Okay, the "marketing image" of a product can still differ vastly to what you get, and to be very fair Cyberpunk 2077 is at least a case of that to some extend.

If I'm not super convinced of a product (exceptions aside) while minding how the product is not just promoted but what "pitch" I'm in essence given and if I get no notable bonus of any sort ...

...then I might as well wait and see if my expectations are met closer to or after release.

The worst thing was seeing my usually reliable sources to become complicit in CDPR's deceit.
Are they still, or have they joined the dog pile? If they have not joined the dog pile, you should be concerned that something is terribly wrong.

Me either. The best time to pre-order, if the intent is to pre-order, is just before launch. With Playstation, the best time to buy is after the post-launch reviews are in.

I will say that how the game pre-orders work is important. If the publisher offers incentives to pre-order early (edit: and then remove those incentives), then I proceed with caution. This is is a shady practice and is based on the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) principle. When they exploit that, something is up.

Last edited:
I don't pre-order anything from anyone. I keep remembering that these all are companies trying to make money from me and they will always try to make more profit. There isn't a single company who really cares about their clients as they're just trying to make themselves richer.

I only Pre-Order games that i know are good or that i know that the Dev's have done good work before, i never listening to what others say about a game and social media is just for suckers.

I remember when you could download a DEMO version of the game before you bought it, those where the days!

That's one of the reasons why it will never be "perfect".

There's (almost) no reason to preorder. You can always buy some game 1 second after it is released.

The reason to preorder is to support the creators, and in the case of CD Projekt (abd some other creators) I do that in gratitude for the pleasure they have given me in the past. It's the same reason that I have four separate paid-for copies of The Witcher III, and two each of The Witcher and The Witcher II.

Perfection isn't possible. And I prefer games which push the limits and have issues, to games that just rehash old tropes.

The reason to preorder is to support the creators, and in the case of CD Projekt (abd some other creators) I do that in gratitude for the pleasure they have given me in the past. It's the same reason that I have four separate paid-for copies of The Witcher III, and two each of The Witcher and The Witcher II.

I know exactly what you mean because I also preordered CP2077 for the same reasons. Unfortunately, I think it was a mistake. And I will not do it again. The game (although amazing in many regards) has so many broken systems that it should not be released in this state.

I am willing to support CDPR with multiple purchases of their next game (as I did with their previous titles), but this time I will not preorder (despite the fact that I was slightly involved in the development of The Witcher and I really admire CDPR team). And I will buy more copies of this "next game" (or DLC) only if CP2077 receives some significant patches and updates. I wonder how many of us (gamers) feel the same way...

Perfection isn't possible. And I prefer games which push the limits and have issues, to games that just rehash old tropes.

I agree.

I never pre-order anything, with a few very unique exceptions. Primarily, it's because I avoid "stuff". Being surrounded by too much "stuff" tends to annoy me. :whistle:

When I do pre-order, it's because, whether the game is good or bad in the end, it's an experience I am 100% sure I want to explore. Therefore, even if I dislike the actual game in the end, I never regret the purchase.

The other major reason to pre-order, though...is stuff! :p If you're into the physical merchandise and exclusive digital content and what-not, then that's the primary reason to go for it. (Back when games were primarily marketed as physical, boxed copies sold in retail stores, pre-ordering made more sense, I think. You might find yourself waiting for weeks or even months if you didn't reserve a copy of a game ahead of release. With digital marketplaces having largely taken over, there's little reason to pre-order anything aside from getting extra stuff.)

Pre-order? Ha! I waited until Feb to buy it because I figured the worst bugs would be fixed by then. Of course, it turned out that I can't even start the game (PC, followed every instruction on the internet regarding my issue). Or ok, I can start it, but the screen is black.

Had I paid even close to full price I would be quite upset. Had I pre-ordered, I would have been livid. Cyberpunk so far seems like a scam to me. Of course, there are people that can actually play it, but even they seem to have nothing but issues.

I used to respect CDR, for now I put them right up there with Bethesda.

Usually I don't preorder.

But I bought AS:V to have something for my XSX. And it was good enough that I bought the Season Pass after I played it 2/3 through.
And yesterday I bought BG3, because I wanted to know if the positive reviews are true. And the Early Access is good enough, that I'll buy Divinity after I played it.

And I preorderd CP2007. Because: Developer of Witcher (!!!). And I refund it. For XSX. Still got it on Steam but no need to install it. Zero.

Sometimes you're lucky, often not. Everyone over-fulfilled, and I throw money after them a second time. Just not on CDPR anymore. There was a time, when I bought W3 for 3 platforms. But - time changes.

Last edited:
I remember when you could download a DEMO version of the game before you bought it, those where the days!
Those were the days were developers were willing to provide proof of quality before the actual release date. Today we have highly polished/scripted gameplay trailers designed to manipulate you into thinking that you're going on a date with Margot Robbie, but when the date arrives it's Anita Sarkeesian standing there waiting for you.

You're lying. Seriously though, I did pre-order but don't regret it, not in the least. Pre-ordering a game is handy to avoid congestion on the net on release day. I pre-ordered CP77 for exactly that reason.

There are no good arguments for pre-ordering a digital purchase. You also have to consider that this isn't just about you. We can only change the industry if we show corporations that we're not willing to purchase a product before it has been released. Why would you give away your money to a corporation before you've actually tested their product? The practice of pre-ordering games is actually incentivising companies to release half-baked games on the market, simply because they can make their money back without having to prove anything.

Those were the days were developers were willing to provide proof of quality before the actual release date. Today we have highly polished/scripted gameplay trailers designed to manipulate you into thinking that you're going on a date with Margot Robbie, but when the date arrives it's Anita Sarkeesian standing there waiting for you.

There are no good arguments for pre-ordering a digital purchase. You also have to consider that this isn't just about you. We can only change the industry if we show corporations that we're not willing to purchase a product before it has been released. Why would you give away your money to a corporation before you've actually tested their product? The practice of pre-ordering games is actually incentivising companies to release half-baked games on the market, simply because they can make their money back without having to prove anything.

So don't pre-order if you don't want. You're not obliged to pre-order. I fully expected a bug or 2 when I bought it. It's unreasonable to expect not a single issue in such a vast game. What? You go to the store to buy a soda, you first demand a sip before you pay? You don't know the quality of that soda before you taste it. Sometimes it taste great, sometimes it taste awful. but you will always need to pay for it upfront before you can taste it. You ignored the reason I mentioned for pre-ordering, and the reason you gave that devs offer pre-ordering doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom