Temporary Stat Boasts?

+
Should we have temporary stat boasts? Like you eat food and you get 5% health bonus for like 2 hours. You sleep you get 10% XP bonus. You bang you get....something.
what do you guys think?

I never like the +/- X%. I like active skills over passive skills, I.E. I appreciated the karenzikov as an effect of the reflex booster in the demo or that benzodiazepine in metal gear solid that stabilized aim.
I could be fine with a +% strenght if you snort cocaine or stuff like that, but it needs to be something that actually makes sense.

I never like the +/- X%. I like active skills over passive skills, I.E. I appreciated the karenzikov as an effect of the reflex booster in the demo or that benzodiazepine in metal gear solid that stabilized aim.
I could be fine with a +% strenght if you snort cocaine or stuff like that, but it needs to be something that actually makes sense.

i mean it adds realism to the game. not sleeping for days on end should have a negative impact on your health/abilities. same with not eating food. The food thing is actually a great idea because it forces you to enjoy the environment as you look for a restaurant to eat at. and also other ailments could have a similar affect. this way the stores around the map are not just there for show but actually have a purpose. a while ago i suggested getting a STD, what a great opportunity to go to the pharmacy and buy meds. maybe there is a gym you can visit to gain strength/agility/body stats like in San Andreas.
Point is that it adds another layer to the game and gives stores an actual purpose.

i mean it adds realism to the game
Not really, you don't regen an injury faster if you eat a sandwich, you need to actually cure it. You don't get more resistance to DMG if you sleep (+5% health). But
not sleeping for days on end should have a negative impact on your health/abilities. same with not eating food.
this makes sense and is fairly addressed in kingdom come deliverance: you don't sleep? your eyes start to close (seriously) while playing until you faint. You don't eat? At some point your health starts going down until you die. Realistic? yes. Fun? it depends.
I personally don't find it appropriate in all games, it ruins the pacing forcing you to do things you don't want to do. I remember people complaining about RDR2's animations (and were not even long, like 1 maybe 2 seconds) or the "need" to shave and cut your hair, and those were not even compulsory. Being force to sleep or eat at regular times (24h will most likely be 1h of game time like in TW3 and this means sleeping every 40 minutes, eating every 20 minutes) can be very frustrating.
I'd love it in games with a "survival soul", but in a "classic" action RPG... probably not.

I personally don't find it appropriate in all games, it ruins the pacing forcing you to do things you don't want to do. I remember people complaining about RDR2's animations (and were not even long, like 1 maybe 2 seconds) or the "need" to shave and cut your hair, and those were not even compulsory. Being force to sleep or eat at regular times (24h will most likely be 1h of game time like in TW3 and this means sleeping every 40 minutes, eating every 20 minutes) can be very frustrating.
I'd love it in games with a "survival soul", but in a "classic" action RPG... probably not.

i think the issue is that time goes on really fast so you always have this sense of urgency to complete the next mission. if they dialed back on the time lets say every IRL hour is only 3 hours ingame you would get the sense that you have more time to explore and do more sidequests. i hate it when RPGs rush me to get somewhere and do something important even though i know i can do whatever i want and take as long as i want and it wont change anything i still can't do it cause im always LARPING in RPGs. Mass effect did this. Every mission was hurry up and get there before the bad guy and thats what i did, had no time to explore anything. I mean lets be honest yes this is a RPG game but its also a cyberpunk simulator something we all love and want to soak in an explore. Making time go slower and good mission design that doesn't rush us can do that. This is where doing tasks like eating or sleeping, getting a massage, hiring a prostitute or going to the store and buying the new braindance tape all add a level to the realism of the game. I mean you can imbead story into it as well. Lets say you visiting a ramen shop and everytime you are there eating the cock there greets you and tells you something interesting. maybe a tip on something so you accomplish 3 things at once. u eat, you bond, and u get info on something cool like a gang has a secret stash somewhere ect ect.

edit: if you think stopping for food or sleep becomes old and boring then a solution is that you don't lose health/abilities if you don' eat but rather you gain a small bonus to them. this way it becomes completely voluntary if you do it. i agree losing health or eyes fainting becomes tedious.

Last edited:
Its one way to add depth but Ive a feeling this game already has enough of it. Too cheap for triple A game to be honest. I can understand some poor indies add depth this way but triple A companies, no.

Should we have temporary stat boasts? Like you eat food and you get 5% health bonus for like 2 hours. You sleep you get 10% XP bonus. You bang you get....something.
what do you guys think?
Absolutely not.

OK ... change that ... I can see temp stat boosts from drugs, that's what drugs do. But eating lunch? No, just no.

no those are archaic way too gamey and quite frankly stupid, (i loathed the eat food gain hp back in witcher - it should have been restricted to resting or the swallow potion).
you shouldnt suddenly get bonuses for doing something trivial such as eating/sleeping/breathing - soon enough people will want a bonus cause they pooped.
unless its from drugs like su said, something along the lines of fallout 1/2 but they must have a penalty later and this goes without saying - possibility of drug addiction.
or cyberware like speedboosters etc.

if i remember correctly something along these lines has been discussed in an older thread

Sild

Ex-moderator
Not really, you don't regen an injury faster if you eat a sandwich, you need to actually cure it. You don't get more resistance to DMG if you sleep (+5% health).

Eating a sandwich won't bring you much in RL either, but a consistent diet composed of diverse foods and nutrition goes a long way in improving one's energy, stamina, mood, immune functions and an improved health overall. Games, the more survival or simulation oriented ones featured food as a survival mechanism i.e. you don;t eat for long enough, you begin to suffer drawback and eventually die from starvation but eat enough for a certain amount of time, avoid starvation, and you'd gain bonuses to things like stamina or strenght or carry weight. It's not as far out to imagine food can translate into decent bonuses in-game as long as they're not too over the top. I'd much rather have food, quality food, offer bonuses than health regeneration. It would also be something to crave for in-game other than the symbolic aspect since food we have and take for granted now is rare and usually reserved for those rich and powerful in Cp2020.

Last edited:
<clip> i.e. you don;t eat for long enough, you begin to suffer drawback and eventually die from starvation but eat enough for a certain amount of time, avoid starvation, and you'd gain bonuses to things like stamina or strenght or carry weight.
Long term, sure, that's reasonable and realistic.
But one meal one way or the other is totally inconsequential.

Long term, sure, that's reasonable and realistic.
But one meal one way or the other is totally inconsequential.

That's fair, but time flows quicker in a game, a meal there could be the equivalent of many in the RW, so.. I'd say it's a good, potentially fun abstraction of cause and effect.

Last edited:
I would consider buffs and debuffs to skills and stats from stress and hunger, but nothing so radical that it requires constant checking and micro management.

And NO health buffs from food NOR XP buffs from sleeping.

Tie the intensity to difficulty settings.

I don't understand the complaints. Would you not want a vender that actually delivers food? It adds realism and the buff you get from it is pretty minor. you don't want to eat all the time thats fine don't. But obviously eating food or drinking something will give you some kind of boast if not why bother?

I'm a HUGE fan of realism and that's what I've been asking to CDPR since I'm in this forum, but I also know that some things can ruin the experience. If I know I'll get a buff if I do something, I will try to do that as much as possible even if I don't want to. I'll sleep every time I can so that I'll keep my bonus to exp always active, and this not only takes time (go back home, sleep, go back on the streets), but also makes in-game time flow. Let's say I want to play at night, but V hasn't slept in the last 16 hours. I lose my exp boost. I don't want that, so I go back and sleep (and lose 3-5 minutes IRL), now it's morning. BUT I wanted to play at night! So, should I sleep again for 24 hours in total? Ok, but now I don't have the food buff anymore. Now I need to eat. It becomes tedious. A vendor that actually delivers food? So I order it and then have to wait in my apartment for 10 minutes? Doing what? It doesn't add anything to the gameplay.
That's how I play RDR2 and I love role-playing arthur morgan, going back to the camp, greet my friends, spend the night singing songs and cursing micah, wake up, shave, have breakfast and leave for a new adventure in the wild west, but it was absolutely my choice and didn't get any benefit except for the "gaming experience" itself. I never felt forced to do it and when I didn't want to do it and keep doing missions, I could.
If devs give you boosts like that for actions, it means they want you to play that way. So I'm totally up for having the chance to sleep, eat, even toothbrush, shower and poop, but it must be my decision and not feel forced to do it.

im sorry i can't respect anyone that lobbies for a game to have less features especially ones that sound like they they have OCD over a 5% buff from eating ramen in a game. in the 48min gameplay trailer V drank a soda pop and it gave some kind of buff. Don't want to drink or eat DONT. losing your shit over 5% buff is just ridic.
If the game punished you for not eating then I would agree it would become tedious but this is a buff with no penalties for missing it.

Oh, don't worry, lack of respect can go in both directions, but you shouldn't start a thread where you ask about other people's opinion if you don't want them to go against yours. :)

well i expect counter points to be reasonable. an option where it gives you no penalties and gives a small bonus lets say 1-2% and you don't want it at all and u wont compromise...not much to have a debate on. unfortunately for you im 99.999% sure food and drinks will give stat boasts. but hey u can actually use the vendor to get a soda pop it takes about 5seconds. i hope that doesn't inconvenience you.

I'll sleep every time I can so that I'll keep my bonus to exp always active, and this not only takes time (go back home, sleep, go back on the streets), but also makes in-game time flow. Let's say I want to play at night, but V hasn't slept in the last 16 hours. I lose my exp boost. I don't want that, so I go back and sleep (and lose 3-5 minutes IRL), now it's morning. BUT I wanted to play at night! So, should I sleep again for 24 hours in total? Ok, but now I don't have the food buff anymore. Now I need to eat. It becomes tedious. A vendor that actually delivers food? So I order it and then have to wait in my apartment for 10 minutes? Doing what? It doesn't add anything to the gameplay.
That's the major problem. The "neat ideas" may look great on the drawing board, and may even play great the first two or three times you do them. But they quickly become an EXTREMELY un-fun tedious chore.

That's the major problem. The "neat ideas" may look great on the drawing board, and may even play great the first two or three times you do them. But they quickly become an EXTREMELY un-fun tedious chore.

ya even when its completely optional its a chore...mmkay.

well i expect counter points to be reasonable. an option where it gives you no penalties and gives a small bonus lets say 1-2% and you don't want it at all and u wont compromise...not much to have a debate on. unfortunately for you im 99.999% sure food and drinks will give stat boasts. but hey u can actually use the vendor to get a soda pop it takes about 5seconds. i hope that doesn't inconvenience you.

I think so as well, but I've always feared that CDPR doesn't want to pursue realism.

And it's not a matter of compromise, none of us is actually making a game, we're discussing of things we like and things we don't. I don't like percentages bonuses from food/sleep because they ruin immersion (and if are long-lasting they affect pacing), you like them, I don't really see the need to meet half way.
Btw, in the first post I actually said I'd be up for drugs giving specific boosts because it makes sense. Does is sound like a copromise? At this point I don't really thinks it matters.

Top Bottom