Testing the "Accurate Speedometer" mod that shows the actual real speed

+
Hey guys.

A mod has been released that shows the real speed indicated instead of the vanilla's inaccurate speed. Have to say that it greatly raises the sense of speed overall, where I first thought that an improvement of the game's FoV could only suffice.

Made a vid too. You'll notice straight away.

Thanks. I checked it out now.

So, the original speed 1371, the speed now displayed as 713. Let's take that for 713 mph, which is about 1147.5 km/h. That is about the factor of 0.83 to get km/h from the vanilla in-game speed.

The factor derived in my tests from watching displayed distance vs. speed was about 0.71 iirc. The speed displayed with this mod could still be a bit too high. An other option is that the displayed distance is not the length of the road but let's say horizontal distance (i.e. projection of the distance to a horizontal plane). That would drive the factor up a bit but not that much.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, right. I just did a test in the dry pass, which should have narrowly the same altitude along the whole track.

The data
* Stable speed 713 displayed (with the mod)
* Without the mod 1371/72
* Ca. 8 seconds
* Ca. 2340 meters

The analysis
The time and distance indicate 1053 km/h (the derived coefficient from the vanilla game speed is ca. 0.768).
Converted, that is 654 mph, while the modded speedometer shows 713 mph. The mod needs a bit of an adjustment. Let me see if it is moddable.

Ah yes, I see it uses 1.6 to convert from mph to km/h, that should be 1.60934. Also, the other value used by the author is 0.52, which for km/h would be 0.8368589. There you, go my measurements say this factor should be 8.3% lower. I.e., to make it display the speed my measurements point to as accurate, the "0.52" should become "0.47721308".

Let me see... can I set the number in? Yupp, that worked. It is nice to have had someone do the dirty work of writing the vanilla mod, so that I can mod further. Thank you!

Lol, "vanilla mod"...

Last edited:
if the modder make the mod basing it on his "sense of speed" it's not accurate anyway...you should know the in-game scale and its "metric" to correct the showed speed

Thanks. I checked it out now.

So, the original speed 1371, the speed now displayed as 713. Let's take that for 713 mph, which is about 1147.5 km/h. That is about the factor of 0.83 to get km/h from the vanilla in-game speed.

The factor derived in my tests from watching displayed distance vs. speed was about 0.71 iirc. The speed displayed with this mod could still be a bit too high. An other option is that the displayed distance is not the length of the road but let's say horizontal distance (i.e. projection of the distance to a horizontal plane). That would drive the factor up a bit but not that much.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, right. I just did a test in the dry pass, which should have narrowly the same altitude along the whole track.

The data
* Stable speed 713 displayed (with the mod)
* Without the mod 1371/72
* Ca. 8 seconds
* Ca. 2340 meters

The analysis
The time and distance indicate 1053 km/h (the derived coefficient from the vanilla game speed is ca. 0.768).
Converted, that is 654 mph, while the modded speedometer shows 713 mph. The mod needs a bit of an adjustment. Let me see if it is moddable.

Ah yes, I see it uses 1.6 to convert from mph to km/h, that should be 1.60934. Also, the other value used by the author is 0.52, which for km/h would be 0.8368589. There you, go my measurements say this factor should be 8.3% lower. I.e., to make it display the speed my measurements point to as accurate, the "0.52" should become "0.47721308".

Let me see... can I set the number in? Yupp, that worked. It is nice to have had someone do the dirty work of writing the vanilla mod, so that I can mod further. Thank you!

Lol, "vanilla mod"...
Why don't you go chat him up? Seems lenient for a convo about this topic. By the way, he mentioned that he did some tests in real life before making this mod. Suppose the calculations he made are based on those.

Real-life tests? Oh ma...

Anyhow, I might reach out. It takes time, so not gonna happen till I get a break. My speedometer prob is solved now anyway. I modded the mod.

Last edited:
Top Bottom