Texture flickering (corrupt save?)

+
Hello,

with the exciting changes of 1.5 I decided to start a fresh playthrough.
However, I never had so many issues in one of my previous playthroughs.

I am very close to the end of it and now everything seems to slowly fall apart… It's infuriating and disheartening.
Had my share of performance, LOD and draw distance issues. They are annoying, yeah… but I can deal with them.
But since yesterday, my textures seem to go wild very shorty after I load into the game. I have no idea what triggers it - I have over 580 hours in this game and never experienced this before... and I'm afraid my savegame might be forever lost because of this.

First, a short video that shows what's happening. This can happen to any texture in the game - mostly happens to NPCs and Cars, though.

I tried to verify the game files and made a clean installation of my GPU driver. Obviously, it didn't help.
I don't think it's related to my PC either - it works fine in other games and meets the system requirements in sleep-mode.

Code:
PC Specifications
-----------------
Ryzen 5 5600x
Aorus RTX 3080
32GB 3600Mhz RAM (2x16GB)
750W PWR Supply (Gold rating)
Samsung 850 EVO SSD
NZXT Z73 AIO

Furthermore, I found a video that shows (including comments) that this issue also exists on XBOX X and PS5.
The video claims it's related to using a health item after falling/dropping from somewhere, however I can say that this is not true - unless he means that doing it once dooms your save to have this bug forever.

Also, I cannot load a save when this bug appears. Meaning, loading a save, makes the game CTD.
Saving works just fine, and I can even load the savegames with the bug just fine after I restart the game without the glitched textures being present.
But any kind of savegame loading while the textures freak out, crashes the game.

I dunno what else to do. So yeah.. hope this gets fixed soon.

I dunno what else to do. So yeah.. hope this gets fixed soon.
A "fix" should be unlikely... I didn't see this kind of bugs/glitches before (or at least, noone posted about it...) :(
Almost 3 full playthroughs on Series X on 1.5/1.52, I never see that...

You tried to reinstall the game entirely (deleting the game files in AppData folder too) ?
(my advice on Series X, uninstall/reinstall the game and clear the cache. For me, the game run fine, so it must be the same on all Series X which have the same hardware/software).

Edit :
So at first, make sure that you tried all of these steps and send a ticket to the support for help (if you don't use mods).
The sooner, the better ("Contact Us" button)

Last edited:
Well I do have some mods installed but considering that there are reports of this issue from Xbox X and PS5 players underneath that video I doubt they are the cause of it.

I'm gonna do what you said and reinstall the whole game, including deleting the files in AppData.
If that doesn't help, I'll contact support directly… however, I already know they will most likely just say it's caused by the mods.

Last edited:
If that doesn't help, I'll contact support directly… however, I already know they will most likely just say it's caused by the mods.
Maybe not, if they already received reports from players who never used mods (or on PS5/Series X), there is no reason to point out mods as culprit ;)
(anyway, each report can help CDPR to figure out why it happen. like I said, for me 3 full playthroughs on 1.5+, so more than 300-400 hours and it never happen to me)

Well I do have some mods installed but considering that there are reports of this issue from Xbox X and PS5 players underneath that video I doubt they are the cause of it.

I'm gonna do what you say and reinstall the whole game, including deleting the files in AppData.

Well, it's not necessarily that the blame lies with the mods in your case. Nor do I think CDPR would automatically blame the mods.

The issue is that mods modify game files or add files that will in turn interact with game files and there isn't any way to know what the effect will be without thoroughly testing the mods. Something we can't reasonably expect developers to do considering the vast amounts of mods of varying quality and effect out there.

In your case, it just might be unrelated to your mods but it would make the process of identifying what is causing your issue significantly harder and time consuming.

In an ideal world you'd be able to provide a 100% clean save.

Hopefully, a clean install will fix your issue.

Sadly, re-installing didn't fix it.
Guess I'll write a ticket, but I'm pretty sure that save file is lost.
A shame… It was my 100% playthrough that I wanted to use for the Expansion next year… welp.

Sadly, re-installing didn't fix it.
Guess I'll write a ticket, but I'm pretty sure that save file is lost.
A shame… It was my 100% playthrough that I wanted to use for the Expansion next year… welp.
Sad :(
Don't forget to include your save in the report. At least it could help CDPR to figure out why/how it happened and maybe fix it in a futur update.

Okay, either I'm super unlucky in actually making the bug trigger now, I fixed it by accident, or it fixed itself?

I got a reply from support asking me to check if this still happens with DLSS and/or RTX disabled.
I turned both off and after 2 hours of gameplay (longer than usual) it appeared again, which I told support as well.

Now… I thought I try rolling back my GPU driver because the update to the newest version wasn't that long before the issue appeared.
Rolled back to 512.15 (Nvidia Driver) - played through 2 endings, including several hours of open-world gameplay, without the bug ever appearing. (With DLSS and RTX enabled again)
So there it was - I thought. I might have found the culprit.
But I wanted to be sure - so I updated back to the most recent version (512.77) of the driver, but now I cannot even make it appear there.
And with no way to actually reliably make this bug happen, I have no way to check if this was the cause.

So I don't know if rolling-back fixed it, if something happened in-game because I played through the endings, or if it just fixed itself randomly.
I guess I could go back to an earlier save and check if I can make it appear there.
But then again, CDPR has my save, and I don't really want to spend more time on this right now.
I'm just glad I made it through the endings without any issues.

Top Bottom