Thaler's monocle

+
Thaler's monocle

As we know, in the Frying Pan quest in White Orchard you can find a monocle on the ground inside the hut. We also know that this monocle is (almost) certain Thaler's.
However, I've read a few times in some weird hard-accessible corners of the Internet (which means I don't remember where :D) that you can give this monocle back to Thaler, after you've assassinated Radovid, if you speak to him in the inn. I've never seen a dialogue choice that would make it possible, and having played through that part three times now I don't think it is possible.
Is this just another troll thing like the mysterious "acorn multiplication" :facepalm2: or can someone confirm it?

sv3672

Forum veteran
The dialogue does exist in the game, but I did not try it myself yet if it actually works. It should be available in Thaler's default dialogue if you have both the monocle and the burnt papers:
Geralt choice: Nice house you've got in White Orchard.

Geralt: House of yours in White Orchard? Pretty nice. Thing is, you forgot to clean it out before setting off.
Thaler: Shite. Thought I'd covered me tracks. How'd you find it?
Geralt: By accident, that took the form of a frying pan. Long story. Here's your monocle. It's broken but could still be useful.
Edit: it does not seem to work, perhaps I missed something (I did find the monocle and the papers), or it is a bug, possibly from one of the patches?

Last edited:
Well, since the dialogue is in the game, there are 2 options:

1) It has never been implemented.
2) There is really a bug.

It is interesting though, because I've read about the possibility to give the monocle back only twice if I recall correctly, so it might as well just be that those statements were based on mere assumptions rather than actual experience.
I started playing Witcher 3 when Hearts of Stone came out, so with the v1.10 Patch, and I've never seen this dialogue option!

And it's also included amongst the various items of the latest Besserwisser mod.

That sounds like a good mod, but I'm a bit wary to install one that changes so many things. Is it consistent in general and doesn't break anything or has any impact on performance?

Looking through the list, some of those don't look like fixes, but adjustments. Not sure if I need all of that. Han Fiber fix looks interesting though.

Is it consistent in general and doesn't break anything or has any impact on performance?
I've been using it, in combination with two other large, wide-ranging mods (Nitpicker's and FCR3), for a while now, without any noticeable issues. From all I've seen, it's a quality mod, which is conscientiously designed, with minimal conflicts. Some of the items are adjustments, however, many more are valid corrections of oversights, glitches, or address other problematic points.

Top Bottom