Thank you CDPR for Gwent

+
Thank you CDPR for Gwent

This is going to be a bit of a strange discussion board post, be forewarned.

I just wanted to write down and thank CDPR for this game, and explain a bit why it means so much to me in particular. I think maybe we can all post or whys on this thread..just a idea.

My love of card games goes back 25 plus years ( yes, I am ancient) I started playing Magic: The Gathering in a actual card shop. And no, I didn't ride a horse and buggy to my local store. Back then it was a social game where we would get together on weekends as a group and try out our new decks and ideas. We made friends and traded ideas. There were local and national tournaments I took part in as well. There was no " internet" to play across or take ideas from, it was all you and your friends. This was my first introduction to CCGs and I was in love.

Over the years, I have played MANY CCGS. They all have their pros and cons. I had never played a CCG online until Hearthstone. I was out of the game for a while, but I played WoW so I thought..oh yes! The game was great. Sure there were things that slowly crept in and took my enjoyment out of the game, but it relit my CCG fire. I tried almost every CCG I could find online looking for the love I had back in my Magic days.

Enter: Gwent! When I first played it at the starting Inn, I was not impressed, it APPEARED too simple for a experienced gamer such as I. Then, and I will never forget this, I found "Decoy"..Oh the possibilities..then "Muster"..my head was spinning. This was a truly strategic card duel utilizing cards as resources..I was in love. The more I played and delved into the world of the Witcher..I was more and more transfixed by this game. I would go to work and try to tell everyone I could see about it, most tried and loved it. I have two children 13 and 18..they both love the game. This message board and the people in it have been bouncing ideas and it feels like a weekend long ago. Thank you to the people of this board as well..:) This game has become a part of my family, this game has reignited my mind ( my wife would say long dormant). For that and all the hard work you all at CDPR do..I say THANK YOU FOR GWENT.

It tends to happen to most of us eventually. However, I'm glad you're enjoying Gwent.

I am, and I cannot wait for the upcoming Beta, and then the release. I think we are growing quite the community here. Think at how active we are, and the game isn't even out yet..LOL This is the start of something great!!

I want to second almost everything you said! Really hyped about Gwent and I have such a good feeling about it being a success.

Absolutely cannot wait to start playing and I hope the community stays this awesome.

I really belief the invention of Gwent was a stroke of genius! :)

I wish to thank to CDP RED for the Gwent and for many hours whose I have spent playing with my colleagues in work and outside the work. I play Gwent almost every day in workplace and every game is different, every game is exciting, even if we know eachother, we basicly know our decks, skills and tactics. Yet, every game is pure fun and it is full of enjoyment. I am REALLY glad you introduce such game as Gwent!! Thank you so much :)

I couldn't have said it better myself op! And yes, even the in-game Gwent was awesome! I fell in love with it immediately! In some respects, I believe it's going to hold up fine even after the release of stand-alone GWENT, due to its simple nature and excellent design.

I wasn't into CCGs before Hearthstone, but that game never made me a complete fan. I liked the idea of card-collecting and using strategy in HS, but I got bored with it. Actually, to be honest with you all (this is a little embarrassing - why am I telling you this?!) I played it when I was very ill with fever one night and when I went to sleep, I had this fever nightmare that something was constantly banging hard against my head with the attacking sound of cards in Hearthstone. Strange, right? After that, I never played it much...

I was very excited for TES: Legends until just recently when I looked into the game; I watched some videos and streams, but was very disappointed that it felt/looked very much like a Hearthstone clone (but with two lanes - wow ;) ). I might be wrong, but I just fell out of love with it in that instant! I haven't bother to try the open beta. I might do it later - but I didn't even like the art style nor the characters I saw in Legends.

When it comes to GWENT, however, I truly believe this will be the card game I will be playing for years! I simply love the Witcher Universe with its setting, the characters, the dark humor, and even the politics! I'm so excited for GWENT! And the fact that it will contain real story arcs only sweetens the deal even more! If that's possible...

So, yeah, if this was TL; and you DR: I agree fully with op - even though I'm no CCG enthusiast: GWENT will be the game for me! Thank you CDPR for making this a reality for all of us! We love you!

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to the story of it. I don't actually understand at all what the story will be or how it will work, im kinda clueless on that but as long as Yennefer is in there and we can talk to her or whatever, im happy. Yeah i signed up for the Beta, dunno if i will get in tho, i never seem to get in to any of the closed-beta's :( it is closed isn't it?

What i also enjoy about Gwent is, it will keep THE WITCHER alive for a good few years and help burdon the pain of the possibility of nothing ever being added to the Witcher 3 again (Hopefully this GOTY will add a couple quests, maybe an additional love scene in Corvo Bianco with Yen or... Triss if you picked her... but i can't stand her... gahh im going off topic again. But yes, Qwent should be really fun and i really enjoyed it after i learned how to play it :p in the Witcher 3. Will be fun playing the campaign and discovering all the little twinks and twerks hidden within the game :D

I'm really looking forward to the story of it. I don't actually understand at all what the story will be or how it will work, im kinda clueless on that but as long as Yennefer is in there and we can talk to her or whatever, im happy. Yeah i signed up for the Beta, dunno if i will get in tho, i never seem to get in to any of the closed-beta's :( it is closed isn't it?

What i also enjoy about Gwent is, it will keep THE WITCHER alive for a good few years and help burdon the pain of the possibility of nothing ever being added to the Witcher 3 again (Hopefully this GOTY will add a couple quests, maybe an additional love scene in Corvo Bianco with Yen or... Triss if you picked her... but i can't stand her... gahh im going off topic again. But yes, Qwent should be really fun and i really enjoyed it after i learned how to play it :p in the Witcher 3. Will be fun playing the campaign and discovering all the little twinks and twerks hidden within the game :D

Yes it's a closed beta to begin with.

Good point! It will keep the Witcher universe alive at least. Remember, the stories will not be about The Witcher, Geralt. Only the tutorial features him. However, it's nice to have more stories in this universe for sure!

Yes it's a closed beta to begin with.

Good point! It will keep the Witcher universe alive at least. Remember, the stories will not be about The Witcher, Geralt. Only the tutorial features him. However, it's nice to have more stories in this universe for sure!

Does that mean we can play as Yennefer then? Sounds great!

Does that mean we can play as Yennefer then? Sounds great!

Sorry, no. At least not to my knowledge. From what I read/heard the GWENT campaigns focus on telling different kinds of stories with armies and other characters. You know, the game GWENT is a simulation of a clash of two armies. It wouldn't make sense to be a sorceress or a Witcher leading the battle. However, all the characters you know and love are in the game as cards! Yennefer, Triss, Geralt, Eredin, Roach, and more!

I hope this won't let you down too much. Think of the campaigns as other stories taking place in the world with the famous characters as support. And who knows? We might have a Yennefer side-quest :)

Choice quote from the Inqisitr interview with Damien Monnier, lead designer and creator of Gwent:

“What you’ve seen is the tutorial; so, you do control Geralt in that case, but the stories don’t necessarily revolve around Geralt. They’re just side stories that happen in the past, or it can be in the future. It can go all over because we have separate single-player campaigns per faction. And each faction, you start off with your base cards. It’ll take about 10 hours to complete, but could be a little bit more because we tend to overdeliver. But, the idea is that you follow the story of this faction as you traverse the land. And so the side quests can happen at different times. And if you compare that to the main Witcher game, it’s very hard to give you an answer right now. We’ll have to see, and also we don’t want to give you too many spoilers.”
- Damien Monnier (Lead designer)

Last edited:
I cannot wait to see what kind of tale we are treated to. I love this universe, and the stories are truly remarkable. I know the date of the Beta got pushed back, but good things come to those who..well, you know..:)

---------- Updated at 09:50 PM ----------

Thank you to everyone who joined in my posting of thanks and personal stories. You guys and gals are the best..:)

Yeah, thank you so much for making this game. It looks incredible. It takes the lore of my favorite game series ever and puts it into an extremely thought-provoking card game that I already enjoy the simplified version of. I started playing a certain other company's very popular online card game only because I needed something to scratch the itch of Witcher 3's Gwent, and now that this is coming I can finally abandon that game for this one. This game has a ridiculous amount of potential for growth and is one I hopefully play/support for years to come.

I also really want to thank you CD red for the games you made.
Thank you for Witcher 1 Witcher 2 and the masterpice Witcher 3
Thanks to Andrzej Sapkowski for these really really awesome books he made
Thanks to the storywriter who really read the books and refer to them so you can enjoy as a book reader the whole series
thanks for the deep and emotional story, thanks for the graphic and for so much more
i look forward to gwent and will be so excited to play it; with luck in the beta or some month later doesnt care
if i remember the hours i played and really enjoyed the games i can say that to purchase the games is not enough support for this brilliant team
and maybe i get a chance through gwent to support cd red with a smile on my face

I echo these sentiments 1000% Those books are amazing, reading them now..and of course the games rock!!

Thanks to Andrzej Sapkowski for these really really awesome books he made
Thanks to the storywriter who really read the books and refer to them so you can enjoy as a book reader the whole series
thanks for the deep and emotional story, thanks for the graphic and for so much more
i look forward to gwent and will be so excited to play it; with luck in the beta or some month later doesnt care
if i remember the hours i played and really enjoyed the games i can say that to purchase the games is not enough support for this brilliant team
and maybe i get a chance through gwent to support cd red with a smile on my face

Top Bottom