Thank you RED, Incredible loot reward system.....

+

Graill

Forum regular
Thank you RED, Incredible loot reward system.....

My Avatar is level 22, just turned. upon performing a long quest chain I receive my reward prize with cinematic accompaniment, The sun shown brightly through the clouds as they parted and the object of my toil and hard work was reverently handed to me......

.........and then I promptly sold it back to him because the damn thing was level 20, on a level 24 quest, 2 enchant stones lower and only had 2 very low stats. Way to go RED! You guys rock!

Prologue: Geralt looked at the reward the elf had given him, turning it his hand, looking at the craftsmanship. Curiously the elf waited for some reaction, Geralt hiccuped, then snorted, and then began to laugh maniacally as he walked away bouncing into walls and people alike, laughing ever more intensely as he got further away.

Wait, that may have been me walking out of the room to take a break after that happened. Too funny. Another punch in the face by RED devs. But I can take the punishment, I like the pain. :)

I am a big fan of all three of the Witcher games, I can forgive bugs, I can forgive the seeming random nature of formula drops, but I have to agree with the OP regarding loot.

The best example I have is having completed the main quest, I went do some of the things I had left myself, namely the level 30+ quests. All kitted out in my Mastercrafted Witcher Bear Gear I set off to complete the WItcher's Forge quest at level 32.

After what was the toughest fight I have had so far (far tougher than Eredin) I killed the fire elemental, found the secret door, ran to the chest and ... and ... and level 24 non speciality witcher gear. I mean come on?! I am very sad to say this is not a one off, it has been a constant throughout.

Graill

Forum regular
I am a big fan of all three of the Witcher games, I can forgive bugs, I can forgive the seeming random nature of formula drops, but I have to agree with the OP regarding loot.

The best example I have is having completed the main quest, I went do some of the things I had left myself, namely the level 30+ quests. All kitted out in my Mastercrafted Witcher Bear Gear I set off to complete the WItcher's Forge quest at level 32.

After what was the toughest fight I have had so far (far tougher than Eredin) I killed the fire elemental, found the secret door, ran to the chest and ... and ... and level 24 non speciality witcher gear. I mean come on?! I am very sad to say this is not a one off, it has been a constant throughout.

Ya, those RED "Punch you in the face" moments are quite frequent aren't they bahahahahaha :)

While the loot system apparently is still worked upon (judging from the latest patch notes) I have to agree... especially rewards like the ancestral sword from Crach or the mastercrafted sword from the swordsmith where REALLY underwhelming...

While the loot system apparently is still worked upon (judging from the latest patch notes) I have to agree... especially rewards like the ancestral sword from Crach or the mastercrafted sword from the swordsmith where REALLY underwhelming...

I've not found the need to use any of the game world loot since I crafted my first piece of witcher gear. Nothing else seemed to stack up against it. And the diagrams were ludicrously easy to get hold of. Then it was just a case of merely waiting for the level requirements.

I love these games for their story and the nuances of the quests, but as an RPG fan I would have loved to get my hands on some bad ass loot after killing a dangerous monster, not just popping to the local blacksmith and bunging him some money.

Crafting is a tricky concept to balance. Some games mess it up by making crafted items useless (early WoW anyone?), but they seem to have gone the other way and made crafting far too strong (and too easily accessible), or rather game world loot far too weak. Take your pick.

Some legendary witcher items involving an actual quest would be a great DLC - School of the Wolf maybe?!

Crafting is where all the good loot is at in this game. Do your treasure hunts for top end schematics

Just to give an update to my previous posts.

I'm just finishing off exploring all the ? (having finished the main quest). I just found a diagram for a silver sword that has a level 44 requirement. I mean, really? Level 44?

There are not enough statistics in this game to have a big loot system. It's a light Action/RPG. The point is elsewhere.

This game seems easily doable with the gear that is given to you. Even when it's many levels below you. The goal of the game is to see the world, do the quests, hear the stories, be a witcher.

The goal is not to min-max your character to the max. That's an MMO-attitude. You need your character to have the best gear, the newest gear, the most cutting-edge bleeding gear, or else you're a useless scrub. That's how it works in MMOs. And those games are build for that. You're the hamster. The game is the wheel. Not necessary in TW3. CDPR doesn't treat us as hamsters. All you need to do is: forget about maxing your gear. Just enjoy the game.

I guess for those who want to maximize gear, there are the craft-your-own-witcher-gear quests ?

The gear was never the focus in the witcher franchise. Since the first game the best equipment was given in specific quests. I was even pleasantly surprised by the crafting system in W3 and a few weapon drops from random chests.

My Avatar is level 22, just turned. upon performing a long quest chain I receive my reward prize with cinematic accompaniment, The sun shown brightly through the clouds as they parted and the object of my toil and hard work was reverently handed to me......

.........and then I promptly sold it back to him because the damn thing was level 20, on a level 24 quest, 2 enchant stones lower and only had 2 very low stats. Way to go RED! You guys rock!

Prologue: Geralt looked at the reward the elf had given him, turning it his hand, looking at the craftsmanship. Curiously the elf waited for some reaction, Geralt hiccuped, then snorted, and then began to laugh maniacally as he walked away bouncing into walls and people alike, laughing ever more intensely as he got further away.

Wait, that may have been me walking out of the room to take a break after that happened. Too funny. Another punch in the face by RED devs. But I can take the punishment, I like the pain. :)

Well...it kind of goes to me all game that way. I got like 3 relic swords in my whole playthrought that were usefull to me and none of them lasted longer than 1 hour.

On the contrary, beyond level 30 you start to find random drops that are much better than your Witcher Gear. I find that very off putting. IMO the best gear should only be availabe though long and hard treasure hunt quests. I hate item scaling. Finding the same sword with different stats breaks my immersion.

It doesn't matter what type of game it is or what you think the main focus f the game is. Doing a level 30 quest and defeating a level 30 boss only to be rewarded with a useless piece of lvl 20 gear is bad design all the way around. It makes no sense and is simply unrewarding. No one is asking for them to drop/reward the best ever top tear loot but they should at least reward something of the appropriate level.

Red apparently knows they screwed up on the loot which is why they have made some changes already. Last patch changed the way merchant loot was handled because apparently they realized making 90% of the merchants in game useless when players turn level 15+ because they all sell only level 12 and below gear was dumb

It doesn't matter what type of game it is or what you think the main focus f the game is. Doing a level 30 quest and defeating a level 30 boss only to be rewarded with a useless piece of lvl 20 gear is bad design all the way around. It makes no sense and is simply unrewarding. No one is asking for them to drop/reward the best ever top tear loot but they should at least reward something of the appropriate level.

Red apparently knows they screwed up on the loot which is why they have made some changes already. Last patch changed the way merchant loot was handled because apparently they realized making 90% of the merchants in game useless when players turn level 15+ because they all sell only level 12 and below gear was dumb

What are you talking about? When i was level 36 i found a vendor selling a level 33 sword that completely blew my master crafted Ursine Sword out of the water. Now THAT was dumb for me.

What are you talking about? When i was level 36 i found a vendor selling a level 33 sword that completely blew my master crafted Ursine Sword out of the water. Now THAT was dumb for me.

"Shops now only offer weapons with levels matching or exceeding the player character level"

It's right in the patch notes. Because before 1.05 even if you were lvl 25 the vast majority of the vendors were still stocking mostly or sometimes ONLY lvl 10-12 (or even lower level) armors and weapons

Last edited:
That actually happened before 1.5. It could be that i had not talked to that merchant AT ALL before i was level 36, so his selling items propably scaled considering the first time i talked to him.

That actually happened before 1.5. It could be that i had not talked to that merchant AT ALL before i was level 36, so his selling items propably scaled considering the first time i talked to him.
I know some items would scale before the patch. Like the DLC armors and crossbows I was told scale to level 35 but the other vendors from Valen to the Islands were all still selling like lvl 12 or lower gear for me even when I hit level 30. The quests and monsters constantly dropped/rewarded gear sometimes half their level or at least 5 or so levels under so that was no-go either. I basically had no source of gear my level besides crafting

Am I one of the only people who find loot being scaled to you in shops a complete mmo fantasy? I get it's a game, but seriously? Even in shops? Oops, seems all our stock is too low for you. Poof! Here you go, auto catch up mechanism. Wouldn't want you to go look for good gear from quests, cause it's all very "meh." That's CDPR's design issue with loot. But scaling things doesn't fix it! It makes quest rewards more useless as soon as you level up!

I'm all for at level+ for quest chain rewards. Or things like extra sockets or special procs on gear for witcher gear to make it compete with that relic that just made you one shot things with aard or igni. Those things feel like rewards for completion of something you put more time into. Or like Crach's, that thing should be amazing, and make it higher level.

But the idea that people want immersion, but also want things to be scaled to them... Well... It's not completely contradictory, but do you really think that shit blacksmith that can't even craft your second witcher upgrade magically now makes relics that are better?

I get it if people want these things. I understand it. I don't like it personally. I'd rather they just make unique items better.

Top Bottom