"That one is for monsters"

+
"That one is for monsters"

Curious: is there any explanation in the books of why witchers carry two swords? I know that the silver sword is a bit lighter than the steel one; and in-game, for some arbitrary reason, it does very little damage to non-monsters. However, how is it explained in the books? I mean, if you hit someone with a sharp blade, silver or not, you'll inflict a wound; a creature with silver sensitivity will suffer more, but there's no reason I can think of that a non-silver-sensitive target should suffer less.I'm sure there's an explanation in the books, but what is it?

ausir

Forum veteran
Well, in the books, I don't recall Geralt ever fighting non-monsters with the silver sword, so any qualities of it in the game were made up by the game's designers.

Witchers carry two swords becouse of different types of monsters: one for sensitive to silver and the other one for sensitive to iron. In one of short-stories Geralt explains Iola that "sword for monsters" and "sword for humans" is a myth (but many people think that's true)... both are for monsters, just different types of them.It's a pitty that in game all monsters are sensitive to silver and all humanoids to iron :-\Still against people (elves, etc.) Geralt used only steel sword, silver one is fragile and someone could block a hit and damage it.

Well, if you know a little about Vampire The Masquerade you should know that vampires are quite undamaged by ordinary weapons but they're sensitive to aggravated damage like fire, holy water, special sword, thunderbolt and so on. In this case is quite the same, monsters are sensitive to silver, just like a werewolf i guess.

Yeah, both are for monsters, but sometimes Geralt says weird things, like in short-story "Witcher" when he's talking with Foltest and then when Geralt says that he usually kill the monster to deal with it, Foltest points at the steel sword and asks "With this one?" and Geralt's respond is "No. This one is against humans". But I think that it's just easier for him to tell "this is for humans" than "silver is for monsters that are immunite for normal sword, and normal sword is...".

soopastylin said:
Yeah, both are for monsters, but sometimes Geralt says weird things, like in short-story "Witcher" when he's talking with Foltest and then when Geralt says that he usually kill the monster to deal with it, Foltest points at the steel sword and asks "With this one?" and Geralt's respond is "No. This one is against humans". But I think that it's just easier for him to tell "this is for humans" than "silver is for monsters that are immunite for normal sword, and normal sword is...".
it`s just a character-building. Geralt is often cynical,speaks with irony,although remains "anachronical" within. some things in the books are just vague. that`s the magic in it. one can imagine his own explanation.it probably refers to prejudice about witchers and general loathing among the people of the world.but - if anybody ever cut anything with a real piece of steel, one probably knows - if you hit a piece of hard steel (or anything hard) with a sharp sword, the blade will chip. it just damages the sword. so the real sword is not "as sharp as razor". it cannot be. it has to be a little blunted to cut properly opponents who are somehow armoured,or to deal with different opponents with one sword -that wearing nothing,as well as in padded cloak and chainmail.so probably silver sharp sword is for special monsters that are not so very armoured, but very fast and dangerous (vampires) and vulnerable to silver. for not burdening the witcher and dealing as much extra damage as possible (silver).steel sword is just a normal sword.anyway - what Sapkowski written about the fighting system seems sometimes silly for a aemma/arma pro (but Geralt is a mutant,and it speaks for anything ;) )however game creators did quite interesting job - merging a little bit of this and a little bit of that in motion capture ;]

Technically speaking, Steel is an alloy. It is harder and more durable than Iron, which is a pure element. Silver is also a pure element. However, Silver is a softer metal which would mean that it would lose its edge faster when trying to cut through harder surfaces. Thus, Geralt uses his steel sword against humans (some humans can be monsters too), and the silver sword for monsters who can't wear armor.

The thing I was always wodering about was: how come no one would steal this silver sword - because it's SILVER after all ^_^ :)

nimue

Forum veteran
MadCatII said:
The thing I was always wodering about was: how come no one would steal this silver sword - because it's SILVER after all ^_^ :)
Think about this for a moment - would you try to steal a sword from someone like Geralt? Besides, I don't think it's pure silver, that would be much too soft. At the end of the Memory of a Blade quest, Zoltan says it's "silver-plated, steel core". The silver value is probably negligible.

Nimue said:
Nimue said:
Think about this for a moment - would you try to steal a sword from someone like Geralt? Besides, I don't think it's pure silver, that would be much too soft. At the end of the Memory of a Blade quest, Zoltan says it's "silver-plated, steel core". The silver value is probably negligible.
If I was living in middle ages with no education and no real money at all, and I had just slightest idea that witchers have something like SILVER SWORD, then - OF COURSE :D I would deffinitely waited for opportunity to steal it :beer:

MadCatII said:
If I was living in middle ages with no education and no real money at all, and I had just slightest idea that witchers have something like SILVER SWORD, then - OF COURSE :D I would deffinitely waited for opportunity to steal it :beer:
But would you really risk your life by making angry some of the witchers ???
In one of short stories Geralt tried to provoke fight that he would die in. He was drunk, unarmed and didn't resist when some thugs beated him. But once they realized who he is they stopped and run away...

Otaku said:
Otaku said:
But would you really risk your life by making angry some of the witchers ???
In one of short stories Geralt tried to provoke fight that he would die in. He was drunk, unarmed and didn't resist when some thugs beated him. But once they realized who he is they stopped and run away...
I guess I would :)

@MadCatIt's not only Geralt's skills with sword that kept people away... Notice that 'witcher' comes from 'witch' and in books they are often reffered as 'sorcerers' / 'mages' by plain people. Most of people believed them to have some supernatural abbilities and that they are somehow cursed.So 'If I was living in middle ages with no education' I would keep away from any kind of magic and curses and wouldn't even think about mugging someone like witcher :p

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
[Lots of morons think that they can take on witcher, so if one wouldn't be smart, it could try.
The result of this attempt is known as Natural Selection. :)
Cory Lea, how could you? You know 'natural selection' is a myth put about by nasty, wicked unChristian scientists. When a moron takes on a Witcher, that's Intelligent Design.I shouldn't need to tell you these things. You're an American, dammit!

SimonBrooke said:
I shouldn't need to tell you these things. You're an American, dammit!
I'm sure at least half of my fellow citizens would be all too happy to denounce me as "un-American." It doesn't do to actually read the Constitution, you know, one might start expecting one's leaders to live up to it, and then where would we be. *sigh*

As long as you remain not the only american thinking that way, there is hope :) -- and i know there are many, before anyone starts!

Otaku said:
@MadCatIt's not only Geralt's skills with sword that kept people away... Notice that 'witcher' comes from 'witch' and in books they are often reffered as 'sorcerers' / 'mages' by plain people. Most of people believed them to have some supernatural abbilities and that they are somehow cursed.So 'If I was living in middle ages with no education' I would keep away from any kind of magic and curses and wouldn't even think about mugging someone like witcher :p
But it's [size=16pt]SILVER!![/size] :DDHow come no one supports me? :)

Isn't Geralt's sword only silver plated and not pure silver? Might be the case in the books as well. Anyway if that's the case I wouldn't want to risk messing up my only sword that's effective against supernatural threats on some stupid bandit that thinks he can take me on.

Top Bottom