The 6 month Montage is a waste..

+
With people saying the main quest line is to short. Why on earth would the montage what looks like a full section on game. How you supposed to feel conected to jackie when he dies? At jackies wake/ofrenda , jackies mum talks about how close you all where living in her house.. Made no conection with the character's at all... Dumb move..Hope this wasnt a decision just to get silverhand shoehorned in he game early.. I really hope this was cut content and its patched back in.. Would make so much more sence to play the montage.

This is a narrative sin older than time.
And in games, I grow closest to characters I interact with and my character grows alongside - not by showing me a video and being like 'well, anyways you're best friends now.'

Like you basically meet Jackie, there's a montage, and now you're besties and working together and that'll never change.

The worst part about this is even if they were to make a dlc it'll feel too late and won't work because you already went through the story and seen him die...

The "6 Months Later" Montage is one of the worst things about the game.
Ive had all these experiences I only remember like a dream. I know all these Fixers, yet I dont really know who they are. Ive had all these adventures with Jackie, but I still feel I just met him. I have an Apartment and a different Car, but Im still Level 1 with no Skills or Abilities and No Eddies.
Its like I missed a huge part of my V's life. Totally took me out of any RP experience I was having.
I would rather skip the Montage and just start at my Apartment.

Terrible waste

I was disappointed in that, like chunk of game untold or missing, wonder if they did that as they run out of time, could they patch things back in? Probably involve downloading a new build of the game. I must of missed it but why is Takamura helping you as well. One minute making escape from the building with the relic after the death of his boss and getting chased down then next on getting pulled out of a scrap yard, riding in the car with him, helping me and shooting guys on motorcycles.

Just over half way through the game so maybe it explains its self later but just about to meet him again in a mission. Wished there was alternative outcomes to characters (Everlyn) as well depending on what you did or what you choose.

I disagree wholeheartedly and felt that the montage was perfectly suitable for me to understand what was going on. When I pick up a book, I jump in the middle of someone's life as well. I needn't read all 11 years of Harry Potter's life with the Dursley's to understand that he was in a bad spot and what it would mean to him to be away from them.

On another note.

If they let you play out the 6 months they showed. All of those events happening. Lets say they give you twelve hours of extra content to play through. Wonderful you think. But would that really be able to tell how much time has passed? Because if I was given 12 hours of content, I'd knock that out on a saturday. Wouldn't feel like like six months. If I were a Nomad I would've just gotten to know Jackie and then go through, in the end, filler missions with him.

We come in to the story where the plot needs us again. A timeskip is a narrative device. The Avengers End Game for example. They didn't show what happened inbetween Infinity War and End Game. They skipped ahead a few years. Then they spent 20-30 minutes on showing the world after Infinity War. Did you really need more? Did you really need a few other characters to show up and tell the audience how half their family being gone has effected them? Ofcourse not.

And on a final note.

It's a roleplaying game. That requires a bit of effort from your side too. The narrative said: "Hey, you have been with Jackie for 6 months now. You've laughed together. Cried together. Fought together. It's been a wild ride. And here you are at a mission where you two will work together. Let your adventure begin."

You can also just go: Ok, so I have been with Jackie for six months and we are a team. Cool, I can work with that. - Adjust your mindset. Go from there.

I was disappointed in that, like chunk of game untold or missing, wonder if they did that as they run out of time, could they patch things back in? Probably involve downloading a new build of the game. I must of missed it but why is Takamura helping you as well. One minute making escape from the building with the relic after the death of his boss and getting chased down then next on getting pulled out of a scrap yard, riding in the car with him, helping me and shooting guys on motorcycles.

Just over half way through the game so maybe it explains its self later but just about to meet him again in a mission. Wished there was alternative outcomes to characters (Everlyn) as well depending on what you did or what you choose.
I was confused about that for a very long time too, and no they don't really clear it up in any natural way for the player. Basically after Goro calls Yorinobu, you are being chased by arasaka assasins. I didn't know that and assumed they were maelstrom thugs. I was very confused.

Guest 4406876

I disagree wholeheartedly and felt that the montage was perfectly suitable for me to understand what was going on. When I pick up a book, I jump in the middle of someone's life as well. I needn't read all 11 years of Harry Potter's life with the Dursley's to understand that he was in a bad spot and what it would mean to him to be away from them.

On another note.

If they let you play out the 6 months they showed. All of those events happening. Lets say they give you twelve hours of extra content to play through. Wonderful you think. But would that really be able to tell how much time has passed? Because if I was given 12 hours of content, I'd knock that out on a saturday. Wouldn't feel like like six months. If I were a Nomad I would've just gotten to know Jackie and then go through, in the end, filler missions with him.

We come in to the story where the plot needs us again. A timeskip is a narrative device. The Avengers End Game for example. They didn't show what happened inbetween Infinity War and End Game. They skipped ahead a few years. Then they spent 20-30 minutes on showing the world after Infinity War. Did you really need more? Did you really need a few other characters to show up and tell the audience how half their family being gone has effected them? Ofcourse not.

And on a final note.

It's a roleplaying game. That requires a bit of effort from your side too. The narrative said: "Hey, you have been with Jackie for 6 months now. You've laughed together. Cried together. Fought together. It's been a wild ride. And here you are at a mission where you two will work together. Let your adventure begin."

You can also just go: Ok, so I have been with Jackie for six months and we are a team. Cool, I can work with that. - Adjust your mindset. Go from there.
Usually good books don't present the same issues of character handling as videogames.
They are making videogames not books or movies (if they were they would be bad at it anyways).
The problem CP77 is facing also (besides everything else) is the huge disconnection between the character's knowledge and the player's knowledge.
I'm not sure this was cut because of time.
What I'm sure of is that I had to barf when I saw what they did there.
The game throws you in an icon packed world, with no street names on the map (so happily hyped during NCW and yet serves no purpose in the game) to hide its flaws.
And it's noticeable big time.

On another note.

And on a final note.

Very bad examples. Montages are fine about things that have already been established and just needs to be emphasised. Or otherwise not important for the story.

In Harry Potter you would feel very differently if they skipped the first 6 months where Harry, Ron and Hermione established their frienship and bonds.

One easy solution would be to just do smaller "chapters" that you live through. I personally feel the initial dinner they had should have been in the game. You meet Jackie later at a food stall too in the story, it could have been easily a reccuring theme in their friendship, something to hook the player into. Rituals matter after all. Then we could have did a few smaller gigs and parties with a simple fade out of "2months later" etc. Experince the important bits like you apparently were living at Jackie's mother's place for a while. I haven't even met her in my playthrough because I couldnt find her!

Top Bottom