The AI is really lacking for this kind of game.

+
NPC's with binary reactions worked ok in TW3 because Geralt was a fixed character and the meat of the game was him adventuring by himself, minding his own business and getting shit done. Using the same limited AI in a future megalopolis...just doesn't cut it. NPCs don't react properly to general threats or actions from V. After shootouts, I'll find the same NPC crouching in a corner ten minutes later, frozen in place. Or they'll do it right in the middle of a shoot out. Or they might stand there as the bullets whiz by. They often don't look at V when talking to him. They have the same canned animations and fixed dialog. It seems about 40% of the NPCs are bugged so their mouth doesn't move when they talk. Vehicle AI is similarly limited. This is aside from the bugs that plague enemy AI, where they stand frozen in place till you shoot them or they're blind in their peripheral vision, making stealth a breeze. They're often really slow to pull out their guns and start shooting even after the threat icon is red. Compare this to the Assassin's Creed games, GTA, Sleeping Dogs, Red Dead 2 - any modern open world game, and it's clear that an important element in Cyberpunk is missing. And it's dampening the experience far more than I expected.

I know this stuff isn't part of the core gameplay loop, but after playing about 30 hours, it's painfully apparent how lifeless Night City is out of scripted quests. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they can improve on this aspect without some kind of major overhaul that'd disrupt many other systems. I really hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
That's right, I have already accepted the fact the game has full of bugs and I am okay with it for now. But the those things like AI, crime system, traffic system, cluttered side quest system, cluttered crafting and inventory system and no open world weather changes are really disappointing. It's like the game was sold as a beta test to 8 million people that pre ordered the game.

I've had the cops pull a gun out on me just for walking past or standing near. The walk signs on the crossing was green and a car still drove over it. I tried to stop a gang mugging but cops turned up and fired on me and turned a blind eye to the gang.
Stopped my car and a car behind stopped and just waited, wish they had intelligence to go around. Great If some NPCs wouldn't get scared and would defend themselves and fight back like in GTA.
Post automatically merged:

That's right, I have already accepted the fact the game has full of bugs and I am okay with it for now. But the those things like AI, crime system, traffic system, cluttered side quest system, cluttered crafting and inventory system and no open world weather changes are really disappointing. It's like the game was sold as a beta test to 8 million people that pre ordered the game.
It has its issues but I'm enjoying it. Remember Batman Arkham Knight had issues when it came out on Steam. I think they took it off sale till they fixed the big problems if I remember correctly.

May be, but that would be a big overhaul in the game itself. It's like the game's cyber ware, very expensive just to upgrade some few things inside V's body. I'm hoping they would use the money they earned in re modifying the game's ugly side.

Honestly, there's no two ways about it, the AI in this game is straight up embarrasing and easily the worst I've ever seen in an Open World game, below that of even GTA III, a game that's 20 years old.

And what makes it even worse is the fact that CDPR themselves hyped up the AI numerous times over the years, as late as June of this year: https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/08/cyberpunk-2077-npcs-1000-daily-routines/

They either straight up lied or axed the system all together, and this after apparently having hired a team to work exclusively on World Interactivity following Blood and Wine in response to the criticism of how static the world was in The Witcher 3. That team I assumed either mostly quit, were fired, or were just ignored for the most part.

It legitimately appears to be a placeholder AI that was never exchanged for the system they had (supposedly) developed, and I don't forsee CDPR doing anything to improve it since it would likely require an entire systematic upheaval that would take months to implement at the very least.

The only way it happens is if the system was cut for the sake of last-gen performance, and then reimplemented alongside the next-gen update to PS5/XBSX/PC as part of an "enhanced" edition or something, and that feels like wishful thinking bordering on delusion if I'm being honest.

Last edited:
The only way it happens is if the system was cut for the sake of last-gen performance, and then reimplemented alongside the next-gen update to PS5/XBSX/PC as part of an "enhanced" edition or something, and that feels like wishful thinking bordering on delusion if I'm being honest.

This is the saddest reality that might happen in the future. They might actually just release another game like Witcher 4 for free or at a low cost so they can start again with a cleaner slate just to bury the dying corpse of Cyberpunk 2077. Down the drain my hopes and $60 :giveup:

This is the saddest reality that might happen in the future. They might actually just release another game like Witcher 4 for free or at a low cost so they can start again with a cleaner slate just to bury the dying corpse of Cyberpunk 2077. Down the drain my hopes and $60 :giveup:

What're you talking about? I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying if they were to make significant changes like that they would probably market it as a Witcher 2 esque "Enhanced Edition" with added features including "Improved AI" (which, at this point, ANYTHING would be an improvement).

I am fine with "corrupt" cops in NC and generally chaotic feel to situations but the reaction/ai of NPCs really has to be improved in several areas...like crime, stealth, hacking some others, but I think by now devs are getting the message and will hopefully patch it and improve it.

and this after apparently having hired a team to work exclusively on World Interactivity following Blood and Wine in response to the criticism of how static the world was in The Witcher 3. That team I assumed either mostly quit, were fired, or were just ignored for the most part.

Yeah they said they had a 'dedicated open world team' to make it worth exploring. I'm not sure what they did for the game because all the open world activities are static.

Top Bottom