The books and the game

+
The books and the game

I'm sure people have asked this question countless times, but I don't have the time to dig through the forums to find the answer. Is the game directly based from the books or is the game a completely different story based on the witcher world and characters?Thanks in advance.

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
STGhost said:
No: Not based on books.
Well, there are some things that refer to the books - main characters have the same past as characters from book. So it is based on the books. But common mistake is to consider the game as a continuation of the Saga. A. Sapkowski said that story about Geralt ended definitely after Pogrom in Rivia. He denied also that the game could be continuation of his books.

Like i was saying I would like to see a Witcher game COMPLETELY based on the storyline of the books.

I htink it's hard to adapt this game with the books because The Witcher as it now follows an independent story with different endings. This isn't possible if the game strictly follows the novels. And I think there might be a high demand from those players who know the novels and don't find each similartiy in the game.Let's have Geralt his own adventures in the witcher world with the characters from the novels :beer:

Why are so many people so obsessed with seeing books turned into other things. I mean, I like the game version, and I'm not trying to be a jerk (doesn't mean I'm not), but why do people get off so much on seeing the same stuff in other formats? Every popular novel...."Ooooh we need to see it as a movie". Well, why? The person who conceived of it as a novel did so for a reason. I mean sure...the Harry Potter movies are pretty good, but why? Sometimes it makes the cynical part of me think people just can't appreciate books for what they are anymore.

Sorry I pissed someone off. If anything at all from either the game or the books I would like to see the game as a movie and book. For example the original Dragonlance novels where actually written from a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. So writing at least a book from the game can't be all that hard.

The Witcher seems to be a sacred institution for the Polish (original) fans and most of them don't want it touched in any way ... obviously one can't generalize to every single person, but from what i've seen and heard that seems to be the predominant feeling.Any suggestion of an adaptation will be met with fairly vehement opposition from the more "die-hard" fandom (of any national origin) ... i just shrug it off, you can't win them over and there is no point in trying to argue with them

andromada said:
Sorry I pissed someone off. If anything at all from either the game or the books I would like to see the game as a movie and book. For example the original Dragonlance novels where actually written from a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. So writing at least a book from the game can't be all that hard.
Andrzej Sapkowski, the author of the Witcher books, would never agree to that.

Not based on the books? Hmm. Seems that the whole Foltest, Adda, Striga bit was lifted directly from the books.The game, incidentally, did a much better job telling the story than Sapkowski did. The only character that I found to be somewhat interesting in the short story "The Witcher" was Velerad. The rest were pretty much cardboard.

KhalGeralt said:
Not based on the books? Hmm. Seems that the whole Foltest, Adda, Striga bit was lifted directly from the books.The game, incidentally, did a much better job telling the story than Sapkowski did. The only character that I found to be somewhat interesting in the short story "The Witcher" was Velerad. The rest were pretty much cardboard.
Bear in mind that it was his first story - the characters were not that developed yet. The game developers now could have taken information from the already existing books.

KhalGeralt said:
Just because The Last Wish is the only book that's appeared in English so far doesn't mean that that's all there is. Polish fans say that The Last Wish is the least of Sapkowski's work -- the meat of the story is in a five-novel series. Given that CDPR made this game because they were gamers who adored the books, I'm quite willing to take their word for it that the books are something special, even though, as an English speaker, I haven't yet had the privilege of reading them.

Sparrowhawk said:
Why are so many people so obsessed with seeing books turned into other things. I mean, I like the game version, and I'm not trying to be a jerk (doesn't mean I'm not), but why do people get off so much on seeing the same stuff in other formats? Every popular novel...."Ooooh we need to see it as a movie". Well, why? The person who conceived of it as a novel did so for a reason. I mean sure...the Harry Potter movies are pretty good, but why? Sometimes it makes the cynical part of me think people just can't appreciate books for what they are anymore.
Because, people don't know how to read. ;D

Xurix said:
Xurix said:
Why are so many people so obsessed with seeing books turned into other things.
Because, people don't know how to read. ;D
Well, that's one possibility. :) I think it's also true that when people really, really like something, they have a hard time letting go of it. Making that well-loved book into a movie or a game or something lets us prolong our stay in that world.My husband and I were really into Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings movies, and when they were over, we didn't want to stop being with those people. We watched all the special features on the DVD's, and believe me, there are a LOT of special features. And while they were interesting, and both of us tend to be insatiably curious, anyway, a lot of our watching them was just that we didn't want it to be over. When I finished the last book in the Harry Potter series, I immediately read it again. And then I read it again. I somehow couldn't bear to let go of Harry and Dumbledore, and having so many things finally make sense was also something I wanted to keep.Imagine reading all five volumes of the Witcher saga, then hearing from Sapkowski that there will be no more. You don't want it to stop -- you love this world and these characters too much. I know! We'll make a game, and then we can BE Geralt and LIVE in this world and let other people live there, too. *shrug* It works for me.

Top Bottom