The business, economics, and profits of CD Projekt RED, GWENT: The Witcher card video game and selling.

+
You prefer games where content is behind a paywall over games where you literally don't have to spend a single dollar. It's ok if that's your opinion, but please stop complaining. CDPR won't do it different. Nothing will change. Probably 99% of all people here prefer Gwents f2p model.
Because that $30 dollars (USD) will get you the full video game and not have microtransactions where people can keep spending money to purchase the cards and card packs.

It's why I love a lot more full retail priced video games to pay for than Free to Play (F2P) ones with microtransactions or microtransactions in general.

---------- Updated at 09:18 PM ----------

And CDPR would still gain even more money with the F2P model.
I want CD Projekt RED to earn money through selling copies of video games, not microtransactions.

Because that $30 dollars (USD) will get you the full video game and not have microtransactions where people can keep spending money to purchase the cards and card packs.

It's why I love a lot more full retail priced video games to pay for than Free to Play (F2P) ones with microtransactions or microtransactions in general.

Can you name some F2P games you've played that you hated? Obviously you dislike that specific payment model so much for a reason so lets hear it. Again, I think you are confusing F2P with P2W, I hate P2W as well since I am very competitive by nature.

Can you name some F2P games you've played that you hated? Obviously you dislike that specific payment model so much for a reason so lets hear it.
Team Fortress 2 when it went Free to Play (F2P). I have the premium edition when it costed money.

Team Fortress 2 is now a cluster ever since it went Free to Play (F2P) with people paying money to purchase hats and who knows what to show off, etc.

I don't like it at all. it bothers me a lot.

I want every single person to pay for the video game and that's it. I don't like it when some play for free and some pay.

I want every single person to be equal.

Team Fortress 2 when it went Free to Play (F2P). I have the premium edition when it costed money.

Team Fortress 2 is now a cluster ever since it went Free to Play (F2P) with people paying money to purchase hats and who knows what to show off, etc.

I don't like it at all. it bothers me a lot.

I want every single person to pay for the video game and that's it. I don't like it when some play for free and some pay.

Ok, I share your views about 'being equal' Like I said, I am a very competitive type of guy and always have been. What does it mean? It means that 'being equal' as you put it is even more important to me than it is to you. I absolutely hate when players can get an advantage over others by paying more money. If a game offers something like that, I refuse to play it.

I never played Team Fortress 2 so I can't give my opinion on that specific title but I'll tell you what they are aiming for with Gwent when it comes to microtransactions. Have you ever played Hearthstone? Gwent's payment model will probably be somewhat similiar as in you will be able to spend your money on more cards but if you invest a decent amount of time into the game that won't be necessary at all. I think Hearthstone's payment model is great for all kinds of players.

Last edited:
I want CD Projekt RED to earn money through selling copies of video games, not microtransactions.

Good for you. They still make the maximal profit while still being unbelieveable friendly to us. They give us a 50+ hours long, voiced campaign when they really don't have to, and that for free. You get a full game for free, but are still complaining about the ability to pay money for completely optional microtransactions, which don't even give you exclusive content like MMOs. F2P =/= P2W

But they are! They don't have an advantage! They just look different, it's cosmetical, unimportant.

Good for you. They still make the maximal profit while still being unbelieveable friendly to us. They give us a 50+ hours long, voiced campaign when they really don't have to, and that for free. You get a full game for free, but are still complaining about the ability to pay money for completely optional microtransactions, which don't even give you exclusive content like MMOs. F2P =/= P2W

But they are! They don't have an advantage! They just look different, it's cosmetical, unimportant.
I don't see CD Projekt RED being customer friendly with making GWENT: The Witcher card video game being a Free to Play (F2P) video game.

I don't see it as being equal since people can pay to purchase the cards faster, rather than when it's a full priced retail video game where everyone has to play to earn the cards.

Where as in the Free to Play video game you pay to purchase the cards to earn them faster, while the people who don't want to pay struggle to play to earn the cards.

I don't think it's fair at all.

I don't see CD Projekt RED being customer friendly with making GWENT: The Witcher card video game being a Free to Play (F2P) video game.

I don't see it as being equal since people can pay to purchase the cards faster, rather than when it's a full priced retail video game where everyone has to play to earn the cards.

Where as in the Free to Play video game you pay to purchase the cards to earn them faster, while the people who don't want to pay struggle to play to earn the cards.

Have you read my previous post? If not, read it and I'll add something;

You have to realize Gwent is a CARD GAME. Cards games are partly about COLLECTING cards. Have you ever played any card games? If they make a 30$ game with all cards available at start, people will get bored real fast.

Also, you don't need ALL the cards to be able to enjoy the game and compete with other players on equal level. You'll most likely be able to construct valid decks that can compete with all types of decks pretty early on. Earning more cards simply gives you more options and creates a sense of progression.

Again, I am sorry but your views about games and their development process seem very lackluster.

Let me explain again: 50 hours high qualitiy single player content. For free.

Good, I see your point with that now.

It would only be unfair, if the best cards were only unlockable through paying. Yes you can get cards faster with money, and you don't have to like that, I understand that now. But it's still not unfair and CDPR best option. And most people will agree with that.

You have to realize Gwent is a CARD GAME. Cards games are partly about COLLECTING cards. Have you ever played any card games? If they make a 30$ game with all cards available at start, people will get bored real fast.

Haha we're explaining him the same thing most of the time. :p

Have you read my previous post? If not, read it and I'll add something;

Also, you don't need ALL the cards to be able to enjoy the game and compete with other players on equal level. You'll most likely be able to construct valid decks that can compete with all types of decks pretty early on. Earning more cards simply gives you more options and creates a sense of progression.

Again, I am sorry but your views about games and their development process seem very lackluster.
I have read your comment.

I know GWENT: The Witcher card video game is a card video game. I know card video games and physical paper card games are about collecting cards.

I have played card games with physical paper cards.

For the card video games they don't have to give all of the cards out at once, as I said before they can release cards and card packs as time passes on through patches or as DLC's for free so people don't get bored.

What is lackluster about my views on how video games are developed? Are you saying Marcin Iwinski's belief that they should never have microtransactions in their video games or any video games sold on the video games market is lackluster?

Are you saying Marcin Iwinski's belief that they should never have microtransactions in their video games or any video games sold on the video games market is lackluster?

Opinions change. I'm happy they do. Before Witcher 3's release, CDPR didn't even think about making a Gwent standalone.

I have read your comment.

I know GWENT: The Witcher card video game is a card video game. I know card video games and physical paper card games are about collecting cards.

I have played card games with physical paper cards.

For the card video games they don't have to give all of the cards out at once, as I said before they can release cards and card packs as time passes on through patches or as DLC's for free so people don't get bored.

What is lackluster about my views on how video games are developed? Are you saying Marcin Iwinski's belief that they should never have microtransactions in their video games or any video games sold on the video games market is lackluster?

Your views are luckluster because you're trying to look at Gwent as a single player AAA title. It is a very different game and as such needs a different payment model.

Opinions change. I'm happy they do. Before Witcher 3's release, CDPR didn't even think about making a Gwent standalone.
Actually CD Projekt RED thought about developing a GWENT standalone card video game right after they released The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for sale, only after a year of people commenting that they want one they decided to develop it.

I read about it like four weeks ago? On some article on some website I don't remember the name it was a interview.

Actually CD Projekt RED thought about developing a GWENT standalone card video game right after they released The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for sale, only after a year of people commenting that they want one they decided to develop it.

Read again what I wrote.

Please god NO. No Witcher moba! this would be horrible!

But there was already one! And I wish I could try it out, but they shut the servers down, some time ago.

But there was already one! And I wish I could try it out, but they shut the servers down, some time ago.

What was the name of it? CDPR should stick to what they are good at: RPGs. I don't have qualms with the Gwent game that's coming out and I am actually pretty excited about it. Reason for this is that I LOVED Gwent in TW3 and to make a whole game out of it sounds like a fantastic idea. Though granted, prolly the only ones who are going to buy and play this game are the die hard Gwent/TW series players/fans, but I have no problems with that at all.

What was the name of it? CDPR should stick to what they are good at: RPGs. I don't have qualms with the Gwent game that's coming out and I am actually pretty excited about it. Reason for this is that I LOVED Gwent in TW3 and to make a whole game out of it sounds like a fantastic idea. Though granted, prolly the only ones who are going to buy and play this game are the die hard Gwent/TW series players/fans, but I have no problems with that at all.

The Witcher - Battle Arena
If they'd only stick to RPGs we wouldn't get a Gwent Standalone. I have no problem with CDPR trying out new stuff, especially when it's about Witcher. :D

The Witcher - Battle Arena
If they'd only stick to RPGs we wouldn't get a Gwent Standalone. I have no problem with CDPR trying out new stuff, especially when it's about Witcher. :D

As I see it, the Gwent standalone is right in line with what I would expect from them. The reason for this is that there were people who played TW3 who absolutely could not get enough Gwent in their playthroughs of TW3. Another reason I think its somewhat expected is that there were main quests that give you an optional way of playing this main quest by playing Gwent. And Gwent was done surprisingly well in TW3, which is why Gwent has such a big following. But the real reason why they are making a stand alone Gwent game is because the fans want it - there is a demand for it - so that is why this stand alone is actually going to be a thing.

As far as CDPR trying out a lot of different things, this is a logical move for them. They don't have a ton of different series to go along with TW so they have to use TW as a vehicle to drive things. Its also about diversity and seeing what catches on, which only makes sense. The thing is though, that TW, or rather, TW spin offs really only cater to TW fans who are the die hard fans. TW alone is just a single somewhat niche series, so not everyone is going to love it. On top of this, as TW spin offs get more and more specific, its going to take people who are already TW fans who really like that aspect of TW to get into these specific games. Or just people that are such die hard fans that they would play anything that is even remotely related to TW.

All that said, I really must say I cannot wait until Gwent is actually a thing. A whole game devoted to Gwent sounds like a ton of fun. With a team of people working on this game from CDPR its sure to be done very well, and though it might not be the most popular thing on the market, the people who like it are really ​going to like it.

Top Bottom