The business, economics, and profits of CD Projekt RED, GWENT: The Witcher card video game and selling.

+
Where are you guys when we talk in constructive discussions .. this is so irritating

I really wanted to be active all the time. I'm so unbelieveable hyped for gwent and I've read almost everything in this forum since the game was announced. The problem is, I can't login when using Internet Explorer. Yes, I know, "why do you use IE?", "You're crazy", "You're retarded", but I'm just used to it. :p
But this time I just had to answer.. so I used Firefox and maybe I'll do that more often, because I really want to talk about Gwent.^^

I really wanted to be active all the time. I'm so unbelieveable hyped for gwent and I've read almost everything in this forum since the game was announced. The problem is, I can't login when using Internet Explorer. Yes, I know, "why do you use IE?", "You're crazy", "You're retarded", but I'm just used to it. :p
But this time I just had to answer.. so I used Firefox and maybe I'll do that more often, because I really want to talk about Gwent.^^

Darn it .. we really missed people like you when the hype was on

The CEO of CDPR says things he believes in but ultimately has no control over when it comes to running his company as best as he can (in terms of profitability). Just be glad that he doesn't make grand promises.

The way they did FTP for Batle Arena was just about as good as I've seen it done. There was absolutely no pay to win. If they were adopting this model for their major AAA releases, I'd be concerned. But for side projects like Gwent that will only help them fund stuff like Cyberpunk, I'm fine with. Give it a chance.

@Balloers100

This isn't a main series game, this isn't a huge AAA RPG years in the making. This is fleshing out a minigame from an existing one that lots of people wanted and giving to you for free... If it makes a little money out of MT's it's not a big deal - Nilfgaard's revamped deck is going to be free, it has crafting so you can make new cards and it's got it's own singleplayer campaign allegedly - Source:
You're getting another Witcher story for free? CDPR say it isn't sooooo.

You don't have to play it. You don't have to acknowledge it, Marcin isn't going to come to your house demanding micro-transaction money.

If they had announced that CP2077 was going to be a F2P I'd have been worried, But this is just silly.

I think the OP is wrong in their remarks but, I also think there are too many people flocking to CDPRs defense. Some say they hope that they get as rich as possible, they deserve it. No they don't and, nobody does. Money and greed is probably thee most destructive thing that is happening on this planet. CDPR deserve to be successful because, they have worked hard for it. But, within reason.

If they have said that they don't believe in micro-transactions and expansions then, they ARE going back on what they said. But is that in of itself such a bad thing? I think not, people are allowed to change their minds/stances based on circumstances. Paid for content and add-on's are not evil practices, as long as it is done fairly and not like your EA's and Ubisosfts of the world.

IMO, CDPR have been fair with what they have asked for TWBA, HoS and B&W. TWBA was defo not P2W and, was a very fair system. I was quite highly ranked in that game and, never sunk a single dime into it. They even let you disable ad's in the free version of the game! You can't say fairer than that. With Gwent, the cards you cna buy are just blinged up versions of what is already there, the stats etc remain the same. I have no issues with this.

I think if CDPR have a change of heart on policy then, they should put a statement to the community. I am defo seeing a movement with regards to DRM which I find a nuisance and hope they set the record straight on that. Sometimes it's the unknowing of where they stand currently, which is the frustration, not the practices themselves.

I have been playing card games for over 20 years. One of my favorite things to do was opening new packs and trying to get the cards I craved. There is just something magical for me in opening new packs. While it isn't quite the same, I enjoy opening digital packs too. Granted, I wish there was trading, but people would exploit that sooo hard I understand why there isn't.
I played a digital card game recently, and you could buy all the cards for 20 bucks, I did and I lost interest. There is just something about earning the cards that I rally like. This game won't be p2w..CDPR is a honorable company. Enjoy the chase of opening packs, I know I will..:)

I think the OP is wrong in their remarks but, I also think there are too many people flocking to CDPRs defense. Some say they hope that they get as rich as possible, they deserve it. No they don't and, nobody does. Money and greed is probably thee most destructive thing that is happening on this planet. CDPR deserve to be successful because, they have worked hard for it. But, within reason.

If they have said that they don't believe in micro-transactions and expansions then, they ARE going back on what they said. But is that in of itself such a bad thing? I think not, people are allowed to change their minds/stances based on circumstances. Paid for content and add-on's are not evil practices, as long as it is done fairly and not like your EA's and Ubisosfts of the world.

IMO, CDPR have been fair with what they have asked for TWBA, HoS and B&W. TWBA was defo not P2W and, was a very fair system. I was quite highly ranked in that game and, never sunk a single dime into it. They even let you disable ad's in the free version of the game! You can't say fairer than that. With Gwent, the cards you cna buy are just blinged up versions of what is already there, the stats etc remain the same. I have no issues with this.

I think if CDPR have a change of heart on policy then, they should put a statement to the community. I am defo seeing a movement with regards to DRM which I find a nuisance and hope they set the record straight on that. Sometimes it's the unknowing of where they stand currently, which is the frustration, not the practices themselves.
Marcin Iwinski said he doesn't believe in selling microtransactions for video games, not expansion packs.

He thinks it's ok to sell expansion packs like Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

Marcin Iwinski said he doesn't believe in selling microtransactions for video games, not expansion packs.

He thinks it's ok to sell expansion packs like Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

Just for clarity. I wasn't stating that he did say that. I should have made that clear.

I was originally upset when I heard that Gwent is going to include microtransactions, but my anger - perhaps too strong of a word - has abated and I see the reason behind it now. All of the previous incarnations of the Witcher have been single-player experiences. The number of concurrent users doesn't really matter in that setting. I mean, sure, you want to sell lots of copies, but having a low pool of users isn't going to cripple the game or in anyway alter the experience for those who do opt in. An online competitive card game, on the other hand, needs as large of an audience as possible. Making Gwent free-to-play removes that barrier to entry and encourages more people to play. As long as the micro-transactions aren't pay-to-win, I'm okay with it. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to me whether I pay $50-60 up front, or $50-60 for a series of optional cosmetic perks and animated cards.

Buying additional single player companies, premium versions of normal cards (where those premium cards have only better appearance and additional animation for example) is completely fine with me :)

I Have read the whole thread (whooo) and there are a couple of things that I would like to clarify:

- When putting certain things in to Marcins mouth please read what was said - I assume you are referring to this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-06-cd-projekt-announces-generous-witcher-3-dlc-plan - Marcin never said he does not like micro-transactions or DLC - he has said "As gamers, we nowadays have to hold on tight to our wallets, as [un]surprisingly right after release, lots of tiny pieces of tempting content materialise with a steep price tag attached. Haven't we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game?" So we feel it is wrong to charge for sword DLC etc for a AAA 60 USD release you just bought. Never it was said that a free 2 play (done right and that is our intention) is wrong.

- The decision to go free 2 play was quite simple because we want millions of people to enjoy the game - the PVP aspect is really important and to make it in to a successful card game we welcome ppl that will not pay a thing and still will hopefully enjoy the game. This would be extremely hard to do even if we would attache a modest price tag of 20 or 30 USD - there are millions of people that cannot pay even 10 USD and still would like to enjoy the game. And of course there are games that exploit the free 2 play players but we are not one of them. There will be no timers, no gems you can buy - play and unlock card packs or pay real money for card packs - regardless of how you want to do it you will be still able to play to yours heart content.

- You will be able to buy the single player campaign that will be self contained and with a great story - you get cards in the campaign and unlock new ones when you progress in the game - you don't have to do PVP at all to be able to enjoy Gwent. You pay once for the single player and enjoy a great story done by writers and quest designers from W3.

I hope this clarifies our stance on things.

You pay once for the single player and enjoy a great story done by writers and quest designers from W3.

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought the story is part of the f2p. That's not a problem though, I'd pay for everything you guys make. :) So can you give us information about the price, or even more important, will we be able to buy the singleplayer already in the closed beta?

Even though I'm with CDPR from the beginning and would probably pay $50 at day 1 for Gwent, I have 0 problems with a Free2Play model, even the opposite: I think Gwent HAS to be Free2Play to be great. It's a card game and CDPR tries to "invite" as many players as possible to the game. Not only the Witcher fans, but also just "Card game" fans, that may try out a new CardGame and I think it's easier for ANYONE to try out a game that costs you $0 than thinking, if you want to invest $10/20/50 for a game that you will not like.

If you end up liking gwent, you can spend money, same as for a "The Witcher" game, if not you can play it for free.

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought the story is part of the f2p. That's not a problem though, I'd pay for everything you guys make. :) So can you give us information about the price, or even more important, will we be able to buy the singleplayer already in the closed beta?

Cannot share price at this point - but it will not be in the closed beta (where we are focusing on servers and balance).

Last edited:
Cannot share price at this point - but it will not be in the closed beta (where we are focusing on servers and balance).

Rafal_Jaki, can you give us information about singleplayer - it is possible to buy a campaign for in-game money?

Top Bottom