The Case for 30FPS.... (PC)

+
The Case for 30FPS.... (PC)

So I have a very decent and clean OC'd 970 @ 1486MHz and an i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz. I've tried just about everything I can to run this game how I want to. But it's just not giving me what I want with 60FPS solid.

So I set out to in the wilderness of 30FPS to see what I could get (I have a PS4 too). Straight up I have never played a 30FPS game on PC the 4 years I have had one. But now.... a game makes me drop down to see what goes on.

Before all the major framefkillers had to be turned down to High to achieve 60FPS solid. The rest of the settings besides Hairworks were Ultra. And even then in the certain areas there was some tanking, and I also have not even played much. Of course we will get some new drivers and patches that will further improve things....

My point is... 30FPS is NOT THAT BAD in TPS games when you use motion blur and it is of high quality. I don't use motion blur at 60FPS usually but at 30FPS it is a must. No bones about it. 30FPS looks awful without it. The PROBLEM is that motion blur in this game doesn't seem very accurate or even that well implemented. So I am stuck with a juddery mess at 30FPS with an only okay motion blur or a huge degradation in graphics at 60FPS.

I can now achieve 1440p and EVERY single setting plus hairworks fully on and 30FPS locked from what I can see in the opening scenes. If I have any problems I will just be going right back to 1080p and that should solve anything of note. 1440p didn't really seem to do a TON for AA anyway and there might be some softness from the downsampling. I will look into all that at a later time.

I was only averaging 33FPS or so with DSR or custom resolution at 1440p with everything on Ultra so more than likely I will still have to go back to 1080p.

To be honest I wanted to know what you guys think of this. I'm usually one that does 60FPS on my PC no matter what because it is usually possible with Ultra.... but in this case I was sacking foliage levels, Hairworks, AA from downsampling, NPC counts, shadows, and grass density to HIGH or off for hairworks. Honestly, it was just starting to bug me too much.

I can't stand foliage pop-in at aggressive levels and even high is just okay. The world seems more alive and immersive on full ultra with hairworks, but again that 30FPS judder is a killer.

Now I am not sure I am going to stick with these settings but adaptive VSync on 30 seems the way to go if you don't quite have the power for this game and you are a graphic nut.
Waddya think?

Last edited:
No thanks. If I want 30 fps, I'll stick with Xbox. I have a 970 on the way actually because my old Radeon 7950 can't manage steady 60 fps even on 1600x900 with everything turned down to low. With the 970 according to what people tell me, I should easily be able to get constant 60 fps at 1080p and medium settings. That will be good enough for me.

This doesnt even address 4k. WHy would I build a rig to get steady 60FPS be sold on that and then settle for 30FPS because someone screwed up on the job? I am getting steady 60FPS with my 970s so I wonder why you are not though.

Having a 970 just to settle at 30 fps is such a waste in my opinion, I'd much rather turn down/lower a few options to achieve 50 to 60 fps. That's what I did personally, running at 60 fps on my 970 with dips at 50, nothing lower than that, and I am playing mostly on ultra...

Back when 30fps was awesome but now its like watching a dvd when I could be watching a bluray. (yep I totally know its not exactly the same thing), some things just feel archaic now, when we have better tools.

PS FYI White writing on this background is massively hard to read.

There's a case for jumping off the roof also, and I have a feeling it is bound to be a more popular case than this one

I do not agree. 60 FPS will always feel smoother than 30 FPS no matter the game, in my opinion. I'm one of those people that can tell when the game has went from 60 FPS to 59 FPS, so it definitely makes a difference in my eyes. Now if only developers would stop making games that play at 60 FPS and then locks cut scenes to 30 FPS, I would be greatly appreciative. 30 FPS does not make a cut scene feel more cinematic when a person's eyes has grown accustomed to watching something at 60 FPS. It's so jarring to go straight from something incredibly smooth to the choppiness that is 30 FPS.

I'm one of those pc gamers who is happy to play a game at 30fps.

I usually aim for about 40-45 fps... it is partly for hardware reasons really.
but I will always set the graphics higher rather than aim for 60fps..

If I can set the graphics to high and achieve 40fps or set them to medium and achieve 60fps

I'll always go for 40 rather than the other way around.

Last edited:
I aim for 60, with acceptable dips down to about 45. 30 is just horrible these days.

More graphic options would be nice. Turning of shadows completely helps in many games, and I'm sure a lot of the unnecessary foliage could be cut as pop-in below high is really obvious.

I've gone back to XCOM for a while, where graphics are fast and functional, whilst still looking great and some first rate turn based combat (at 60fps).

Stable 60 fps is always cool.

But that better: stable 30 fps or unstable 40-60 fps? This is not so obvious as some people trying to say.

The best solution is to try both and make own choice based on own experience
If somebody feels comfortable in the 30 fps limited mode then why not?

Last edited:
Stable 60 fps is always cool.

But that better: stable 30 fps or unstable 40-60 fps? This is not so obvious as some people trying to say.

The best solution is to try both and make own choice based on own experience
If somebody feels comfortable in the 30 fps limited mode then why not?

I agree it all depends on individual taste and experience. I also think some of the earlier replies commenting about how it's a waste for OP to play in 30 fps using 970 card is valid too as it(970 card) should be able to maintain 60 fps with at least high settings with little to no problem.

I'm one of those pc gamers who is happy to play a game at 30fps.

I usually aim for about 40-45 fps... it is partly for hardware reasons really.
but I will always set the graphics higher rather than aim for 60fps..

If I can set the graphics to high and achieve 40fps or set them to medium and achieve 60fps

I'll always go for 40 rather than the other way around.

Yes, for me personally also 40 fps is best possible rate, much better fluidity than 30 fps but yet doesn't seem soo "plastic" ,"fake" as 60 fps looks in my opinion. I even blocked witcher 1 to 40 fps ;D

When I cap fps to 30 either via in-game option or Msi Afterburner, fps occasionally drops down to 28. If I don't the lowest it drops to is 33-34. That's why I cap fps to 40. It is both smooth, stutter-free and never drops below 30.

Yes, for me personally also 40 fps is best possible rate, much better fluidity than 30 fps but yet doesn't seem soo "plastic" ,"fake" as 60 fps looks in my opinion. I even blocked witcher 1 to 40 fps

Dude what:hmm:
Never heard anyone to say 60fps looks more fake, eyes can sense about 250fps so I'd imagine its more realistic the closer we get this.

Anyway, I'd like to achieve 60fps whenever possible but wont change good looking graphics to that.
I've got gtx780 and get about 45-60 fps in witcher 3 and I think thats still playable.

30fps is unplayable for me but if someone is fine with that of course he can cap fps there and get lot more graphical prowess.
And how is it waste of gtx970? if he likes good graphics more than solid 60fps then take those, as long as gpu is working as hard as it can I'd say money you used to buy that is in good use.

Of course if everything is maxed out and it still could get higher fps capping might be considerd waste

...but 60fps looks more plastic and fake 40 fps... ...I'll never understand...

EDIT: I actually might just understand, not my cup fo tea though

Last edited:
Dude what:hmm:
Never heard anyone to say 60fps looks more fake, eyes can sense about 250fps so I'd imagine its more realistic the closer we get this.

Anyway, I'd like to achieve 60fps whenever possible but wont change good looking graphics to that.
I've got gtx780 and get about 45-60 fps in witcher 3 and I think thats still playable.

30fps is unplayable for me but if someone is fine with that of course he can cap fps there and get lot more graphical prowess.
And how is it waste of gtx970? if he likes good graphics more than solid 60fps then take those, as long as gpu is working as hard as it can I'd say money you used to buy that is in good use.

Of course if everything is maxed out and it still could get higher fps capping might be considerd waste

...but 60fps looks more plastic and fake 40 fps... ...I'll never understand...

Watch hobbit trailer at 48fps then you'll understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sMS27Ql_w

48 fps movies looks as fake as 60 fps games in my opinion, expecialy in CGI sections

@krakuus

Ok so its that cinematic effect you're after, yea I agree 24fps movies look more "movie-like" but stil, that 48fps version looks lot more life-like and natural to me.
When I watch stuff in real life it's not blurry like 24fps movies are so 48fps is closer to that (still lot to go though).

I guess it's just what you are used to, I'm 19 so I haven't watched movies for decades but to someone who has I can imagine 48fps looks somehow wrong and fake.
Maybe this can translate into games as well (in games 30fps looks horrible to me, in movies 24 looks normal, speak of getting used to)

Just out of curiosity, do you play shooters? If so do play them 30fps as well? In those games I have to have 60fps or otherwise my performing just drops hugely

My pc gets 40-50 fps with hairworks off and mostly on ultra, I'm not too bothered about looked 60 fps, i can't even tell the difference most of the time i'd rather crank the gfx up.

Top Bottom