The clothing system in this game needs to change

+
I wish the stores would sell clothes appropriate to their location.

If I go to a high-end shop, I expect high-end treads.

If I go to the local fleamarket I expect cool looking second-hand stuff.

Right now it is just a roll of the dice where to find what.

And I really miss an option to upgrade my clothing to legendary.

It's not just satisfying to have everything legendary, but legendary clothes have the best mod-slots.

I thought the game was about our character and who we want to be in Night City.

Let me dress like I would love to!

Unfortunately there are a lot of thing that could help this game be better. It doesn’t really matter to me when the view is mainly a FPS.

8 years in the making from the same company that made the Witcher series and this is what we get.

This game is like a rebranded GTA. At least it would then get a lot of praise for upping the series.

I'm playing on PC and at 'normal'. Yes, they do need to work on the clothing items. But in my case, my V (male) is running around in a pair of (what I call) running shorts upgraded to an armor rating of 340, a Legendary tank top, armor rating (upgraded) to 500 armor, a Legendary head band with a 295 armor. At normal level I'm doing fine but with the other clothing items I have, I can go up to a 2200 armor rating. That's without any shoes of course. I'm playing as a Nomad.

I agree that some stores should sell casual style clothes or like my V, a sports clothing store, or for those corporate players, corporate style or luxury clothing. Right now it seems they all sell a mix of everything and it gets confusing. I would also like to see a store that sells the blueprints(?) for clothing items.

I would like to see the ability to convert clothing items of our choice to the Legendary level, right now all I can do is upgrade my present clothing items.

Generally all my decisions are based on armor rating, hence why I have a crazy hat on a pretty decent outfit. In honesty I don't care what it looks like as long as it works A transmog system and/or preview system would be a decent addition, I'd also like to see if crafted items have mod slots as I craft a lot. Will I let my mad outfit ruin my enjoyment, nope

I wish...only if...
Good news for you, then - it is _exactly_ as W3 was at launch. See, for example, https://www.thegamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-bugs-issues-witcher-3/ - in particular, this paragraph (i quote):

Let’s recount some of the main issues that plagued The Witcher 3 at launch: it had a dodgy frame rate, all kinds of objects arbitrarily clipped through each other, it crashed constantly, and the control system was so unintuitive that movement functionality received a complete overhaul. A quick look on Reddit will show you that people remember characters randomly T-posing while bandits - for some weird reason - often became totally invincible. It took a few months and several post-launch patches for The Witcher 3 to become the world-renowned game we know today.

Good news for you, then - it is _exactly_ as W3 was at launch. See, for example, https://www.thegamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-bugs-issues-witcher-3/ - in particular, this paragraph (i quote):

Let’s recount some of the main issues that plagued The Witcher 3 at launch: it had a dodgy frame rate, all kinds of objects arbitrarily clipped through each other, it crashed constantly, and the control system was so unintuitive that movement functionality received a complete overhaul. A quick look on Reddit will show you that people remember characters randomly T-posing while bandits - for some weird reason - often became totally invincible. It took a few months and several post-launch patches for The Witcher 3 to become the world-renowned game we know today.

The same things happening again would be devastatingly sad. Because this would mean, they didn't learn anything, and in their hubris, they just thought, "It worked once, so why not again?".

This is so disrespectful towards all their customers and employees.

When I buy an item id like to have the ability to pick what color scheme it is, keep the stats but allow for color scheme choice.
Or add in a dye system.

I think it would be a cool idea to label the style of the clothes in the description (e.g. Kitsch, Neokitsch, Neomilitarism, Entropism, Gangs, etc.) and it would be easier to implement the NPC interaction about your look.

I would really love it if sometimes the NPCs might react to what style of clothes is my V wearing :cool:

I'm frankly astounded by the clothing system (or lack thereof) in this game. In the dark future, in a city plagues by rampant consumerism, I should have every option available to me for stylizing my V. What I have instead is the equivalent of getting a luck find at the local goodwill store.

Armor rating should not be inherently tied to clothing.

The problem, at its core, is that there is an inherent armor system tied to the clothing. What this (very poorly designed) clothing system does is limit the player to choosing clothing options not for their style, but rather for their armor rating and "gem" slots, i.e. You're playing along, dressed like a Thrift Store clown, when you find a really cool looking jacket. Unfortunately, that jacket has a very poor tier/rating, and/or does not have gem sockets, so you discard it and just opt to continue looking like a circus clown. This may have been (barely) acceptable in The Witcher 3, but it is completely unacceptable in Cyberpunk 2077.

I am going to fix this for you, CDPR. It really is very simple.

• Except for a few iconic items, all clothing items can be purchased at clothing and gun shops (body armor style options for the latter).
  • No clothing item mentioned above has an inherent armor rating. It is literally zero.
  • Clothing items instead have "slots" that can be used for upgrades (Armadillo, Resist!, etc) based on their tier level (see below)
  • Clothing tier availability for purchase can still be tied to street cred or player level.
  • All of the aforementioned clothing items can be purchased in all of the five tiers and have attributes as follows:
    • White Tier (Common) - Lowest Cost/Cred - 0 Slots
    • Green Tier (Uncommon) - Low Cost/Cred - 1 Slot
    • Blue Tier (Rare) - Medium Cost/Cred - 2 Slots
    • Purple Tier (Epic) - High Cost/Cred - 3 Slots
    • Orange Tier (Legendary) - Highest Cost/Cred - 4 Slots
That's it. This very simple redesign of the clothing system solves the existing issues.
  • Allows players to dress their characters in the style of their choosing, and is not based on chance
  • Crafting recipes for these items can still be looted out in the world
  • Higher tier items locked behind street cred can still be found and looted out in the world (thereby preserving that "game of chance")
  • Clothing mods and their blueprints can still be bought, looted, and crafted.
P.S. Don't get me started on the fact that I have to save and reload my game to "try on" store items.

I think divorcing looks from stats makes sense. I do think making everything available with only a street cred/money modifier is not great, Some things should have means of obtaining them, or quests, or be tied to certain NPC, but for the sake of a quick fix, i recognize such complex systems are unlikely.

I don't know jack squat about the clothing system but I'm going to take a gamble that the clothing bits you acquire are determined by what you wear the longest. I have played atleast 50 hrs and I havent even met the vodoo boys yet. I keep restarting whenever there is a new patch. With regards to clothing I have found that the longer you wear an item the more likely you are to find something similar. I'm into the military aesthetic so my V needs to look like a mercenary. When I first started the game I was getting all kinds of random ugly clothing. I find what I like, wear it for long enough and then every few hours I am blessed with something similar. Just restarted with update 1.1. I'm only level 8 and I am already decked out like a bad ass. I think it has something to do with the "Enable Player Analytics" option. CDPR knows what I want. That's my guess.

The same things happening again would be devastatingly sad. Because this would mean, they didn't learn anything, and in their hubris, they just thought, "It worked once, so why not again?".

This is so disrespectful towards all their customers and employees.
Good news again! :)

It's not "same" things. It's similar things. This means, they are not repeating old problems; rather, it is new problems - which at times generate same sympthoms, like T-posing, yet causes are still different - is what they got.

See, in gamedev for PC / crossplatform - there is that inevitable "different systems cause different problems" effect. No, CDPR could not "fix it" before release. No, it's not their fault. Yes, they have it worse than average - though with complexity of CP2077, it's quite expected.

Still don't understand, perhaps? Here's the easy / short version if so.

CDPR developed the game using just a few powerful enough PC configurations - machines developers used to make and test the game on. And those PCs had rather small variety of software installed, too. But actual users - they got thousands of significantly different hardware combos, and millions of significantly different software combos, and _each_ often cause some few specific bugs. CDPR could never test the game using so many various setups. Impossible. Thus, fixing many bugs is only possible AFTER the game goes out and the reporting tool sends back specific details about crashes (which includes important data about state of the system, both software and hardware, at the time of the crash, i believe). See?

I.e., on the computers CDPR used for developing the game - vast majority of those bugs and crashes are simply NOT happening. Most technical problems actually experienced by players - were never, and could never be, experienced by developers during the development process!

This was true for W3, this is true for CP2077, and this will remain true for any big / complex title in the future. It's just the amount / severity of this effect which somewhat varies from release to release (many factors affect its severity, long talk) - but it's always, always significant. This is the price PC users pay for the freedoms possible to have from hardware/software customization which PC platform allows.

Top Bottom