The combat system

+
The combat system

I´m sorry, but when i saw that ,,brutal´´ Geralt´s combat all i could think of was the ballet. So many back rolls, so many front rolls......Is Geralt able to walk anymore ??? ;DI think that combat system from TW1 was totally awesome....I do only hope that this one wouldn´t be a mistake. :-\

After watching these couple videos:http://gamecorner.pl/gamecorner/1,86013,7702715,Dwadziescia_minut_Wiedzmina_2__z_komentarzem_autorow.htmlSome moves in combat system reminds me on some moves from Prince of Persia - Warrior Within.Geralt's voice is very calm while the fight and overall movements are pretty pace, I felt like Geralt's voice and model movements doesn't fit together, dunno why.

first, it is much more fluid than in TW1 where often animations broke, the model had no real connection to the floor and chaining of different keys or signs broke up the combo chain (only switching enemies did not). this looks much more like combochaining without pauses and the constant dodging is just the PLAYSTYLE OF THE DUDE. they clearly show that you can block so you don't have to roll around like crazy if you don't like it. In the intro for TW1 Geralt jumps around like the Prince of Persia, a thing I missed in the game where I thought I could scale rooftops after seeing the intro. I also played the FullCombatRebalanced Mod because I thought it a little ridiculous that Geralt can just stand for minutes in the same spot and wiggle his sword without dying from a backstab. This style seems to address that. It's more actionoriented but that's what made the first part so enjoyable for me. the contrast between RPG skills and personal skills of the player and how they can help each other.

There was a blue glow on the locked enemy or I imagined it? Watched again from the posted vides, there is a too noticeable blue glow.... I hope it will be toned down a bit.

too be honest I didn't see it but a glow could work better than the big fat red ring they had. wonder how they wanna show damage you deal to the other guy without the red ring...maybe the glow changes ? could be anything atm. this is so exciting, I hope they give us indepth explanations of the new mechanics :)

Braag

Forum veteran
Those glows that came on screen were from the cameras since people were taking pictures.The glow around enemies is probably that Geralt is locked to them or something. It isn't that bad.

Brag said:
The glow around enemies is probably that Geralt is locked to them or something. It isn't that bad.
That is what I meant. I prefer that world's stuff, of any kind, don't get any glowing effects that change their natural colors, that ruins inmersion completely. That is why I asked for it to be more subtle and not like the Assassin's Creed one ]:->

Braag

Forum veteran
arkray said:
arkray said:
The glow around enemies is probably that Geralt is locked to them or something. It isn't that bad.
That is what I meant. I prefer that world's stuff, of any kind, don't get any glowing effects that change their natural colors, that ruins inmersion completely. That is why I asked for it to be more subtle and not like the Assassin's Creed one ]:->
Well in the last game when you moved cursor on an enemy you saw a floating text above their head which was basically the way you targeted enemies in that game. But you could remove it I think from the options so chances are they will give us option to remove that glow as well.

I'm pretty sure that we will have an option to enable/disable features like glow enemy, text over objects/plants/creatures, subtitles etc.I myself will disable glow over enemy.

Brag said:
Yeah... It's called dodging. You could do that in the first game too.
;D after finishing TW1 fifth time, i would really say that i´m pretty sure how he fights ;)Maybe it is only my opinion but i prefer the TW1 Combat systemIn that gameplay it was too many of piruettes, it is just totally different style then in TW1....and it is just too weird if he changed his face and combat system in just 2 months after TW1 ;DBut that graphic is amazing :)

ZoltanChivay said:
ZoltanChivay said:
Yeah... It's called dodging. You could do that in the first game too.
;D after finishing TW1 fifth time, i would really say that i´m pretty sure how he fights ;)Maybe it is only my opinion but i prefer the TW1 Combat systemIn that gameplay it was too many of piruettes, it is just totally different style then in TW1....and it is just too weird if he changed his face and combat system in just 2 months after TW1 ;DBut that graphic is amazing :)
I'm sure people will get used to the new combat system quickly :peace:

there will be loads of different attacks for sure. TW1 was a little ridiculous in that you were just standing there and hacking away. dodging was not important, neither was your position. the new system actually reminds me of the FCR mod where you almost die instantly from backstabs. you have to keep moving and keep the enemy in a cone before you. it could go in that direction, more acrobatics to avoid overwhelming. we'll see. the possibilities are endless.

Quoting Konrad Tomaszkiewicz (Lead Implementation Designer):"Combat in The Witcher 2 is [...] incredibly brutal."I really, really hope that those aren't just void promises. Decapitations, dismemberment, fountains of blood, include 'em all. This game is supposed to be realistic in that matter and mature, so don't hold back : Don't give a fuck about some stupid countries (e.g. Germany) with their retarded regimentations ... I am German and can tell you that I have no problem with boycotting any censored version. And I think that I can speak for the majority of other German TW1 fans. We'd just buy the uncensored version. Also, don't censor nudity either. Fuck the authorities in the USA who are responsible for messing up the first game. Stupid hypocritical bigots :mad: Who the heck do they think they are? Ruining a piece of art and telling adults what's "bad" for them.Please ignore anyone who wants to regulate what you're doing :-* Just do whatever you see fitting so that in the end we have an unspoiled game that's the way you intended it to be. If you must, include the possibility of switching gore/sex off. That might assuage them.

the rolling is too unnatural, its like the gameplay is based around rolling all the time which will be an annoyance.

Also, sword doesn't look heavy to me. I wonder if there is a way to establish both of the feels of quickness and substance at the same time. Have anyone here played Assassin's Creed and/or its sequel? I haven't played either of them but they say the sword-fight is well-done. How good is it considering the sword-fight game-play compared with the game-play clips of the Witcher II?This is a bit different topic but, in the movie clip, there is fire when Geralt fights against water-creatures? Is that a new Igni type spell, which can damage with fire when the sword touches the opponent?

The combat of The Witcher wasn't good, I'm glad that they changed it, but looking at the videos it makes me scared it might not work.Is that a stance of a person who is a swordmaster? Looks more like he's a bloody beginner holding a sword like that. And why so many rolling, I liked all the flips etc in The Witcher but doesn't look good.

Top Bottom