The Combat Zone & Body Lotto

+
The Combat Zone & Body Lotto

So here's an idea that just came up my mind while I was taking a look at the posts in the Fan Art section of the Forum.

The picture that interested me is this one:

What I thought of was the following: What if Night City had an actual Body (Limb) lottery in the game, that would be broadcasted on radio? A lottery where someone can win actual body parts from fallen warriors in the Combat Zone (And only from there). Now my idea is, that when you visit the Combat Zone and die in there, you will get revived at the hospital, but there's a certain possibility that someone wins a limb of yours. Of course this would only regard artificial enhancements and upper body augmentations - no real body parts and no legs, be they cyber or not (We don't want to crawl or hop out of the hospital after all). But someone might win your cyber arm or your brain implants or something like that. E.g., you'd be totally lost WITHOUT that translation implant CDPRED talked about a few months ago. You'd want that back!

And the lottery could also involve your weapons. Imagine you own a nice gun and suddenly it's gone!

Now my actual idea is the additional gameplay that emerges from this. With a little tracking device you could track down the winner to get your stuff back, one way or another. The higher your own level is, the higher the chance that you actually loose one of your implants (That keeps you on the edge while in the Combat Zone even if you are Pro, you know you loose your stuff if you die). And the higher your level, the higher the probability that your stuff was won by someone who won't give them back just like that and won't go down easily.

And, there's another gameplay element: You can participate in the lottery yourself for a few weekly credits and actually win stuff too. The possibility shouldn't be too high, we don't want to win loads of stuff all too fast, after all. And of course, if you win someone's body parts, the person might track YOU down and confront you in the middle of the street.

I know it collides a bit with the permanent death-idea of NPCs and enemies, (AKA you are the only being that keeps coming back from the dead, like in GTA) but I still like it.

Thoughts?

2020 does have a Body-Lotto. I know a few other forum members have expressed interest in the potential for one in 2077.

I think it should be in.

From Hardwired, I think, in terms of source material. Results posted at the end of the day, every day. Bets taken at any reputable vendor.

HAS EVERYONE READ HARDWIRED YET?

It's a major, major inspiration for CP2020 - much more so than Neuromancer I would say. Orbitals, panzers, body-snakes, hardwired reflexes, uploaded human intelligences, balkanized US states, dartgun eyes, chipware...oh so much good stuff.

Hmmm...

How would the mechanics of Body Lotto work? Would it be a win / place / show, similar to horse racing? Is there a payout if you get near the reported number?

I think that on the back-end, along with a random number generated by the game to cover "random events happening in the city," any actions taken by players should add to that number.

I suggested a "win / place / show" mechanic, for those unscrupl... er, "enterprising" players that want to rig the numbers themselves. The ol' hands-on approach. Heh.

I was one of those who have mentioned the Body Lotto, so yeah, I want it in the game. It's like any other lotto you have on the tv, but rather than use balls with random numbers of them to generate the numbers you need to win, it uses the number of people who died in Night City that night. If you win, you win cash. And yeah, you could then go out and cause some carnage to give yourself a better chance of winning. lol

This seems very akin to Robocop and other low brow b-movie satire/dark humor. I LIKE IT.

Reminds me of this old epic SNES game!

Hopefully it's not to easy to win. I smell a side quest.

Meh, that would mean no really impact on gameplay. I want to have a permanent chance to win body parts, no high one, but yeah. I explained it all in the thread opener. Level-based and stuff.

I am not sure I would be as happy with a 'side quest' with the lotto as I would be with just fiddling it myself, (or just exposing someone else who was doing it - perhaps blackmailing them for good measure!)

HAS EVERYONE READ HARDWIRED YET?

It's a major, major inspiration for CP2020 - much more so than Neuromancer I would say. Orbitals, panzers, body-snakes, hardwired reflexes, uploaded human intelligences, balkanized US states, dartgun eyes, chipware...oh so much good stuff.

This book is awesome, i really digged it, Williams perfectly nailed his vision.
A faithfull movie would be awesome.
(The "Hardwired" movie has nothing to do with the book, for those who didn't read it.)

Hell yeah a loto would be nice, sometimes in put it in my CP2020 game: every players spent 10$ for a ticket, i roll 2 or 3 D10, and the winner get his bet x 10 if he wins.
(I could give'em more, but i don't see a body loto like something as "big" as a national loterry or something, so the money earned would be smaller)

Side quest or not I think it would be cool to find out somehow that the lotto people are dirty and either giving out defect limbs to force you to buy X part, or giving a small percentage away to support gangs and such.

Side quest or not I think it would be cool to find out somehow that the lotto people are dirty and either giving out defect limbs to force you to buy X part, or giving a small percentage away to support gangs and such.

Are you confusing the Body Lotto and the Body Bank?

Nice! Obviously didn't know that, but nice!

I just know a low budget cyberpunk film with that title, and it sucks monkey ass.

Didn't even bother to watch it longer than 15 minutes. Yes, it was that bad.

Well.... the image you posted was from the Cyberpunk 2020 CCG game, that might have been a clue... :p

Hopefully it's not to easy to win. I smell a side quest.

It's luck... and the numbers should really never be that high....

Actually, I don't know, including natural causes, I wonder what the death toll is daily for a major metropolis?

Top Bottom