The compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Anyone know if the recent update (12MB) require any settings or mods to be reset? For example, deleting input.settings.
All mods should still work fine, as only Nvidia Ansel support was added and to my knowledge not a single script has changed with patch 1.24.
Deleting user.settings (I think you meant that and not input.settings, which only hold your keybindings) can never hurt. Simply follow Step 0e on the first page and be sure to back up your tweaked user.settings before deleting it, in order to be able to easily re-apply all your tweaks ;)

btw: concerning v-sync and the recently discovered problems with half-refresh mode and Win10: did anyone ever try and compare vsync's "Fast mode" in the Nvidia control panel? I noticed it with this week's new driver(372.54) for the first time. I will give try right now and just see how it compares to regular vsync which I normally use.

Steam license here. After yesterdays update I've found many of texture bugs (stretched, in the air). I tried to reinstall my nvidia drivers, the game (2 times) and verified cache. Nothing works. I guess I have 1.22 patch save files. Right after updating I noticed those bugs. What can I do? I already had the same problem one time before with amd card and it was just tessellation setting went wrong. The only one mod that i had was debug console enabler. I thought something happened with him after the patch... But it's not.
Example: http://imgur.com/a/8jp18

Last edited:
Steam license here. After yesterdays update I've found many of texture bugs (stretched, in the air). I tried to reinstall my nvidia drivers, the game (2 times) and verified cache. Nothing works. I guess I have 1.22 patch save files. Right after updating I noticed those bugs. What can I do? I already had the same problem one time before with amd card and it was just tessellation setting went wrong. The only one mod that i had was debug console enabler. I thought something happened with him after the patch... But it's not.
verify files integrity trough steam, that helps sometimes

Just an fyi at least for those on the Origin version if you have any mods that modded input.xml for 1.24 you will need to recheck that file as that was reset with the patch other than that little ditti seems smooth on my 980ti driver 369.09 as my settings did not seem to take a hit on Win 10.

Oh... I did so much things trying to solve these bugs. Yesterday I did full reinstall of my OS. Today I downloaded The Witcher 3 from Steam, and save files were downloaded from steam cloud. And you know, exactly the same bug textures are still in the same places! Someone explain me how is that even possible?
Here I am standing underwater in Oxenfurt, or there are some UFO stuff... etc...
http://imgur.com/a/iGumC
http://imgur.com/a/i7nP7

Last edited:
@Verrenus I'm just a month and a half late in posting this, and probably too late now. Sorry.

To whoever has UGOM installed (makes it easier to do): I was fooling around with some options and found out something interesting. Here's what you should do:

Go to Toussaint (didn't test other regions yet), then go to an open area full of vegetation. Open your UGOM menu, go to the POSTPROCESS+ tab and turn OFF the "Enable Temporal AA" option. Then go back to the game.

- Let's call this "Result 1":

Result 1 (Enable Temporal AA = OFF, open in new tab):

You may have noticed that now there's some different AA solution being used, something like FXAA or SMAA. There's much less jaggies, vegetation looks "fluffier", but it's a bit blurry. I walked around and noticed extreme temporal aliasing, which means that the Temporal AA is obviously OFF.

I then turned the option back to ON.

- Let's call this "Result 2":

The sharpness of the game is back, but so are the jaggies when the image is still. But now, Temporal AA is working.
Why can't both be used? Engine limitations? Maybe, but i doubt it.

I tried fiddling with the default Postprocessing AA option in-game together with the UGOM Temporal AA one, trying all possible combinations of ON/OFF, but it always ended up being result 1 or 2.

I even added these lines to my user.settings file and made it read only, and tried all combinations possible of true/false:

[Rendering]
EnableTemporalAA=true
[PostProcess]
AllowAntialias=true

But again, it always resulted in either 1 or 2. I remember some people complaining that AA was looked worse in 1.07. Could it be that both solutions were used when the game launched, up to 1.07? I vaguely remember that turning on AA when the game launched made it blurrier, but reduced jaggies. Now i don't see that effect, it only reduces Temporal Aliasing.

Since i couldn't test other areas, it might be yet another Toussaint exclusive problem (like the sharpening one). Or maybe my game is fucked? I don't know. But it doesn't make sense to NOT use both at the same time if it's possible, since there's a sharpening filter in the game to counter the blur.

Anyway, i'm posting this here because, well, it is a tweak and some people might like it. It's also good for taking screenies. Plus i have no idea if it's something on my end, and would like other people to test it. Or maybe i'm just dumb and there's something obvious that i'm missing.

On another note, Fast Sync has been working quite well here, i'm liking it. But i think i'll never play W3 without getting that occasional stutter/hitch.

Last edited:
Got a question folks, if I may. How many of the tweaks in the first post are still relevant, given all the patches and mods available for this game? As one example, the tweak for higher quality mips by Asmodean, I think he released a mod that did something similar but not sure if both do the same thing.

Can anyone help me with that please? Not just the MIPS question but all of it. Is it all just as relevant today as it was at the beginning?

Thank you.

@Verrenus I'm just a month and a half late in posting this, and probably too late now. Sorry.

On another note, Fast Sync has been working quite well here, i'm liking it. But i think i'll never play W3 without getting that occasional stutter/hitch.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this amazing post for everyone to see, @Kidoki! :D

It really saddens me to see that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt could have still used a lick of technical polish, but that's little more than a pipe dream at this point. CDProjekt RED has already started working on Cyberpunk: 2077 on full blast, so it's almost impossible that we are even going to see an Enhaned Edition that would fix all of the remaining issues. :(

On another note, if anyone here was curious as to why I haven't been as active as I used to be, it's not because of wanting to abandon my guides to the wind (far from it actually!), but rather due to an overwhelming amount of work that I must now focus on before I can finish my doctoral studies and finally move on with my life. To make matters worse, I also had to sell my gaming rig piece-by-piece due to moving out of the country and not trusting any courier on this Earth with handling £2,000-worth of computer technology over a 3000+ kilometer journey. :no

So while at the moment I feel the (very real) ache of being a gamer without a gaming rig - just an old laptop with a dual-core Intel Celeron 1.4 GHz and no dedicated GPU whatsoever - I have fortunately earned back quite a bit from all of the component sales and will use the money towards building a new rig from scratch this coming Black Friday! Until then, I am afraid it's only pre-2000 era 2D games for me... :eek:uch:

Trust me on this guys - love your rigs while you still have them and they're still in good working condition, because suddenly finding yourselves without them while seemingly everyone else around you is enjoying the latest releases hurts like you can't even imagine! :crybaby:

Got a question folks, if I may. How many of the tweaks in the first post are still relevant, given all the patches and mods available for this game? As one example, the tweak for higher quality mips by Asmodean, I think he released a mod that did something similar but not sure if both do the same thing.

Can anyone help me with that please? Not just the MIPS question but all of it. Is it all just as relevant today as it was at the beginning?

Thank you.

Thank you very much for your question, my friend! :p

I have let Geralt take a much deserved rest after finishing Blood and Wine a few months ago, so I don't have an exact answer for you, but I am pretty sure that you cannot go wrong with any of the tweaks even now, after so many patches! ;)

Last edited:
hank you very much for your question, my friend!

I have let Geralt take a much deserved rest after finishing Blood and Wine a few months ago, so I don't have an exact answer for you, but I am pretty sure that you cannot go wrong with any of the tweaks even now, after so many patches!

Thank you very much Verrenus. You have are an absolute credit to The Witcher community. The work you have put into this thread and the fact you are still involved, after all of this time is phenomenal.

Thank you.

Thank you very much Verrenus. You have are an absolute credit to The Witcher community. The work you have put into this thread and the fact you are still involved, after all of this time is phenomenal.

Thank you.

No worries, my friend, it is always my pleasure to help! :p

Believe it or not, kind words from you and the others here are the only good things that brighten up these awful days of late. My family does not support my gaming passion, neither does my fiancée for that matter, and every single time they see me on these forums (or any other forums, they are seemingly all the same to them) or playing a game, they chide me for "wasting time", or even worse, "helping others for free". <_<

Almost every single day since I started these guides of mine I've had to put up with their negative attitude towards my favourite hobby - every single time I got caught editing these guides over the 100+ hours of doing so - but did that put me off coming here? Absolutely not - I will keep coming here and providing you lovely people with all of the knowledge that I can find on the Internet so that we can all enjoy our favourite games with only the minimum amount of time spent tweaking and none of it spent scouring the web for fixes. From the beginning, my aim was to collate everything anyone ever needed to know about getting the most out of their favourite game and their machine right here in the OP and that's how it's going to stay. :thumbup:

After I escape from Tartarus (i.e. finish my studies), I will also try to create my own ad-free website where I can host all of these guides, complete with GIFs and comparison screenshots for all of the important tweaks, but that will take even more time that I really - sadly - just don't have at the time. :(

Who knows, after the patch 1.30 user.settings changed or can be left by 1.24?

A warm welcome to our humble thread and thank you very much for your question, my friend! :D

As a rule of thumb, it is always recommended that you refresh your user.settings file and re-apply all of your tweaks after every patch, since you can never know what new parameters CDProjekt RED might have introduced without telling us. :ermm:

They did that a lot of times in the past, so in your place I would just play it safe and re-apply all of my tweaks, even if that takes a few extra minutes of your time - it can really save you a lot of headaches in the future, trust me. ;)

Last edited:
@Verrenus dun worry, your gal can eventually leave you, but games and gaming friends will always be there for you ;)

anyway, is there any possibilty to increase the LOD without the mod "increase LOD"? it is not compatible with the HD Reworked project mod.

No worries, my friend, it is always my pleasure to help!

Believe it or not, kind words from you and the others here are the only good things that brighten up these awful days of late. My family does not support my gaming passion, neither does my fiancée for that matter, and every single time they see me on these forums (or any other forums, they are seemingly all the same to them) or playing a game, they chide me for "wasting time", or even worse, "helping others for free".

Almost every single day since I started these guides of mine I've had to put up with their negative attitude towards my favourite hobby - every single time I got caught editing these guides over the 100+ hours of doing so - but did that put me off coming here? Absolutely not - I will keep coming here and providing you lovely people with all of the knowledge that I can find on the Internet so that we can all enjoy our favourite games with only the minimum amount of time spent tweaking and none of it spent scouring the web for fixes. From the beginning, my aim was to collate everything anyone ever needed to know about getting the most out of their favourite game and their machine right here in the OP and that's how it's going to stay.

After I escape from Tartarus (i.e. finish my studies), I will also try to create my own ad-free website where I can host all of these guides, complete with GIFs and comparison screenshots for all of the important tweaks, but that will take even more time that I really - sadly - just don't have at the time.

I can understand that. I have family who don't get gaming and, why I love it so much. I'm 36 but love it just as much as I did, when I was 10 :D

I guess, you should not change and stop doing what you love just because someone else has a problem with it. As long as we are not neglecting them, they should just learn to accept it ;)

@Verrenus dun worry, your gal can eventually leave you, but games and gaming friends will always be there for you ;)

anyway, is there any possibilty to increase the LOD without the mod "increase LOD"? it is not compatible with the HD Reworked project mod.

Heh, thanks a million for the kind support, but we've been committed to one another for some time now and there's no going back. She is just going to have to accept my hobbies and stop being a hypocrite (i.e. she also plays games like the Assassin's Creed series and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, but has never truly been passionate about gaming - it's just a simple pass-time for her for when she gets bored).

As for increasing LOD without the mod, I am afraid those parameters are still hard-locked and will probably continue to be so until the end of time. I kept hoping that CDProjekt RED would one day allow us to tweak absolutely everything on PC, but alas that was nothing but a dream. I am afraid that it's either the mod or console-level LOD for us now. :(

I can understand that. I have family who don't get gaming and, why I love it so much. I'm 36 but love it just as much as I did, when I was 10 :D

I guess, you should not change and stop doing what you love just because someone else has a problem with it. As long as we are not neglecting them, they should just learn to accept it ;)

I, too, started PC gaming around the age of 7 and it's been a hobby of mine for almost 20 years now. I know for sure that I am never going to give it up no matter what. People who have not grown up gaming will never understand that games are not just mindless fun or wasted time. <_<

I have tried explaining this many times, but non-gamers will never understand the charm of a simple stroll through Skyrim at night with the two moons shining high above and Jeremy Soule's music playing quietly in the background, the meaning behind Andrew Ryan's greeting as you descend below the waves of the Atlantic towards a city unlike any other or the raw emotion behind Geralt and Ciri's reunion on the Isle of Mists. :(

It's because of moments like these and many others that I will never give up on PC gaming and, if I can help it, I will be playing games until literally the day that I die. This also means that it will always be my pleasure to help others get the most out of their games and fully enjoy these wonderful experiences that we could never, ever forget. ;)

Last edited:
Was just posted on reddit and it may help these that wanted the sharpening so badly :) http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1984/?

You, sir, are a true gentleman for sharing this with the rest of us and I would like to thank you so much for doing so on behalf of everyone here! :clap:

The Touissant sharpening fix will now go straight into the OP under a new section and shame on CDProjekt RED for leaving bugs like this in the game for (extremely) talented fans to fix for free in their spare time instead of just enjoying a fully working game... :thumbdown:

EDIT: You can now refer to the new section #16 of the OP for Murzinio's sharpening filter fix for Touissant! All thanks go to @Pawel1995 once again for bringing this wonderful news to our humble thread! :cheers2:

Last edited:
Top Bottom