The compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
So before or on 1.12 patch you could achieve 30-40fps and now you can't reach 30fps?

Strange - are you playing in the new area (Blood&Wine) or just base game?

Only way to quickly gain lot of FPS in-game is to lower the resolution, that's the only advice I can get you I'm afraid - after reading your settings & results.

Are you playing on Steam or GOG?

I have seen several people say they lost frames in the new patch.
A great deal of the new bugs seem to only affect a few users for some reason.

Also, when I rebuilt my .ini files the TextureMipBias setting disappeared. Pretty sure it was there by default prior.

Also, when I rebuilt my .ini files the TextureMipBias setting disappeared. Pretty sure it was there by default prior.

TextureMipBias will always disappear from your user.settings file when you run the game once after first setting it to "0". It just means that the game treats this feature as "disabled" until you change the position of the in-game Texture Quality slider or put TextureMipBias back into the file manually! ;)

If you closely look at "\The Witcher 3\bin\config\base\rendering.ini" file, you will find values in there which as the file location suggest act as a base configuration - always applied when no other user settings are in effect. It's the starting point.

So if you write any of the values in your config like [Rendering]EnableTemporalAA=true or TextureMipBias=0 or [PostProcess]AllowAntialias=true.
They will "magically disappear" because the base configuration is always loaded if nothing is overriding it ;)

You can try it yourself anytime - but you must delete your "user.settings.bak" file. That's also a safe switch you must first "disable".

Last edited:
i have a problem with manual and autosave , suddenly both dun work anymore , even i am still running windows 8 and didn't upgrade to windows 10 so it's not that kind of familiar issue , any clue ?
i am sorry if i am posting in wrong thread i guess , but this thing is driving me crazy

So what I found out on the internets :D but I think you've already tried it:

1) Running the game executable "witcher3.exe" as Admninistrator.

2) Making sure your "Documents" or "\Documents\The Witcher 3" folder is NOT set with "ReadOnly" parameter.

For your info Windows 10 is based on Windows 8 / 8.1 so the issues with the Windows user profile could be there as well.

Last edited:
I had no problems until patch 1.21 and I'm also playing Blood&Wine, I'm done with base game (for now) and I'm playing on GOG.

I'm a little bit confused about a few settings. Should i run on a fullscreen or borderless windowed? And how about VSync in-game and in Nvidia control panel. Do they differ a lot?

On Windows 10 / 8.1 I would advise to take advantage of Borderless window mode wherever it is possible, because you do not need to bother with Vsync because it's always used. You can safely disable it in-game.

Sometimes it's advised to use driver Vsync because of a bad or non-existent in-game setting.

On Windows 7 use fullscreen mode and the above advice about Vsync.

This is proven as a general advice.

Last edited:
Hey Verrenus,

What u think about the Super Turbo Lightning Mod ? Listed here : http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/657/?

Would be interested to hear your opinion about this! :)

Thanks!

After watching this video showcasing the mod's latest version (2.2.1), I absolutely want to try STLM for myself as soon as possible, especially since the game's performance should be virtually unaffected by the lighting changes! :D

Hey,
got the same problem with shadows as in the video below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ju40cgaYIM&feature=youtu.be
I've already tried modifying cfg (mapbias, cascadeshadows etc.) but I haven't seen any difference. It usually occurs during sunset/rise and it looks normal while I come closer to the object.
Any suggestions?

PS Reinstall didnt help

First of all, a very warm welcome to our humble thread and thank you very much for your question! :p

Rest assured, you're not the only one experiencing this particular shadow problem! It's apparently an engine bug that cannot be fixed from our side, so CD Projekt RED will need to address it as some point sooner or later. :ermm:

Last edited:
I will have to do some more testing, but as of right now it seems regarding all the vsync options, I actually get best results with framecapping to 60 with Rivatuner and enabling vsync in NVCP.

No vsync gives a lot of tearing and adaptive seems to give some tearing as well.

Durante's recommendations only gave me quite a bit of what I guess people call "microstuttering".

now i realise, in blood and wine there are no shadows in the cutscenes, and during gameplay the shadows spawn a few meters in front of geralt

Wow, really? Now that you mentioned it, I did feel like something was slighly "off" with Blood and Wine's cutscenes, but I was too enthralled by the story to figure out what it really was. :ermm:

Thanks a lot for bringing this to our attention, I'll definitely be paying a lot more attention to cutscene shadowing (or lack thereof) from now on! :p

I will have to do some more testing, but as of right now it seems regarding all the vsync options, I actually get best results with framecapping to 60 with Rivatuner and enabling vsync in NVCP.

No vsync gives a lot of tearing and adaptive seems to give some tearing as well.

Durante's recommendations only gave me quite a bit of what I guess people call "microstuttering".

Adaptive VSync cannot eliminate tearing completely because by definition it is only active when your framerate matches its designated cap - the moment it stops doing that, VSync automatically disables itself and you almost instantly get screen tearing again. ;)

On the other hand, enabling regular VSync and using RTSS to provide the framerate cap gives you the benefit of having VSync perpetually enabled at any framerate limit of your choosing. While you do eliminate screen tearing completely by doing so, you also run the risk of encountering a completely new form of microstuttering generated by having two different frame pacers (i.e. one from the GPU driver and one from RTSS) operating at different frequencies at the same time. Considering that, it's easy to see how this could potentially generate pacing anomalies and actually net you more microstuttering in the end! :p

Ultimately, however, it's up to you to determine how the game plays best on your system and once you do find such a solution you can just stick with it and plough all else! :D

Last edited:
Adaptive VSync cannot eliminate tearing completely because by definition it is only active when your framerate matches its designated cap - the moment it stops doing that, VSync automatically disables itself and you almost instantly get screen tearing again. ;)

On the other hand, enabling regular VSync and using RTSS to provide the framerate cap gives you the benefit of having VSync perpetually enabled at any framerate limit of your choosing. While you do eliminate screen tearing completely by doing so, you also run the risk of encountering a completely new form of microstuttering generated by having two different frame pacers (i.e. one from the GPU driver and one from RTSS) operating at different frequencies at the same time. Considering that, it's easy to see how this could potentially generate pacing anomalies and actually net you more microstuttering in the end! :p

Ultimately, however, it's up to you to determine how the game plays best on your system and once you do find such a solution you can just stick with it and plough all else! :D

Sorry I could have phrased that better.
RTTS with 60 cap alone gave me tearing. Adding vsync on top helped with that. BUT obviously if I dip below 60 at any point I get reduced to 30 fps which is not good.
Simply using vsync alone may give exact same result, I do not know if the frame limiter helps in any way, but there didn't seem to be any conflict.

So I tried Durante's recommendation:
disable both the in-game frame limiter and in-game Vsync, use borderless fullscreen mode for correct triple buffering and set the desired framerate limit in RTSS. This combination will result in consistent frame delivery while minimizing input lag.
This is the setting that gave me what I would call microstutter. It was very noticeable outside the Nilfgardian Embassy in Beuclair.

I will give adaptive vsync another go later today. But it does seem regular old vsync gives the best experience for me, provided I can stay at 60.

First of all, a very warm welcome to our humble thread and thank you very much for your question! :p

Rest assured, you're not the only one experiencing this particular shadow problem! It's apparently an engine bug that cannot be fixed from our side, so CD Projekt RED will need to address it as some point sooner or later. :ermm:

Thanks for replying. Then I have to wait for the patch. I've already submitted the problem to Polish support of CD Project RED. Still waiting for response.

So I tried Durante's recommendation:

This is the setting that gave me what I would call microstutter. It was very noticeable outside the Nilfgardian Embassy in Beuclair.

I will give adaptive vsync another go later today. But it does seem regular old vsync gives the best experience for me, provided I can stay at 60.

There's actually a very good reason why Durante's suggestion can give rise to microstuttering by itself, summarised wonderfully in this post from NeoGAF. This is why I prefer using Adaptive (half refresh rate) VSync enabled from the NVIDIA Control Panel as opposed to RTSS! ;)

Thanks for replying. Then I have to wait for the patch. I've already submitted the problem to Polish support of CD Project RED. Still waiting for response.

No worries, my friend, and thank you very much for submitting a support ticket! CD Projekt RED need to know there's still work to be done on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt before they can dedicate themselves fully to Cyberpunk 2077. :p

Top Bottom