The compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Could you help me man? I have a very strange stutter problem, I have tried a lot of things to solve this, but no luck.
Look at my thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-read-any-suggestions?p=3204400#post3204400

Hope you can help me.

A very warm welcome to our humble thread and thank you very much for your question, my friend! :D

Have you tried following any of the advice listed under sections 4, 7, 8, 12 and 13 of the OP? All of them detail tweaks for combating stuttering in its most insidious and hard-to-diagnose forms! ;)

Hey everyone,

Sadly I'm in need of help, desperately. I play on PC (obviously) and since recently I have been hit by a deeply annoying problem. In short, at any random moment, my game will simply freeze while the music and environmental sounds continue. I have no error message, nothing at all, and I cannot alt-tab or even bring out task manager, I have to hard shut down my computer. The freeze will come randomly, either 2 minutes after I start, or 10 mins.
I have tried so many things, I have looked at all your checklist, I've changed things in the Nvidia panel, I have moved Witcher 3 to different hard drives, I have re installed, removed all mods, repaired the game etc.

I have simply no idea what to do and I'm desperate to finish Blood and Wine =(

Here is my rig:

GPU: GTX 1070 Mini Gigabyte
CPU: Intel I7 4790k 4.00 GHz
RAM: 8 Go
Systeme: Windows 10 64 bits
Motherboard: Asus Gryphon Z97

Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated =)

Cheers

Just a shot into the blue here: is this happening for other games as well? I was just thinking that maybe you get high GPU temps or something the likes?

Lawrence0294;n6947280 said:

Cheers
GMSBS_Ghost;n6950140 said:
Just a shot into the blue here: is this happening for other games as well? I was just thinking that maybe you get high GPU temps or something the likes?

Ghost is definitely onto something here - I would suggest you check your rig's temperatures (both CPU and GPU) while you are running the game. Full freezes like the ones you are describing can definitely occur as a consequence of thermal throttling. :eek:

Best of luck with the troubleshooting and please report back whenever you have the time - hopefully with good news! :D

Lawrence0294;n6947280 said:
Hey everyone,

Sadly I'm in need of help, desperately. I play on PC (obviously) and since recently I have been hit by a deeply annoying problem. In short, at any random moment, my game will simply freeze while the music and environmental sounds continue. I have no error message, nothing at all, and I cannot alt-tab or even bring out task manager, I have to hard shut down my computer. The freeze will come randomly, either 2 minutes after I start, or 10 mins.
I have tried so many things, I have looked at all your checklist, I've changed things in the Nvidia panel, I have moved Witcher 3 to different hard drives, I have re installed, removed all mods, repaired the game etc.

I have simply no idea what to do and I'm desperate to finish Blood and Wine =(

Here is my rig:

GPU: GTX 1070 Mini Gigabyte
CPU: Intel I7 4790k 4.00 GHz
RAM: 8 Go
Systeme: Windows 10 64 bits
Motherboard: Asus Gryphon Z97

Cheers

I have the same problem. Only that it happens once then I play for like 5-30 hours without it happening again. I don't think it is temperature related. My rig does hit a lot higher temps in the 30 hours that the freezing does not happen than in the 5 minutes playing when it does. It usually happens early in my sessions and always in Cutscenes. Then audio will keep playing, cutscene scene will end, I can even draw or sheath a sword, cast a sign, walk, die... the noises are all there but the image is frozen at that point of the cutscene. Then I just restart the game (when it does not close itself) and play a lot before it happens again and it does not happen but many sessions ahead. It may have something to do with new GeForce Experience in-game active, Nvidia drivers or graphics settings. I can't really say which and I didn't bother tweaking them yet. Hope you can figure it out and play the game as much as I do! =)

Driver is now 375.70 but new GeForce Experience interface is ugly compared to this... lol

EDIT: Can't really say anything now. It came back to bite me in the ass and I had like 3 crashes of this same type in 30 minutes...

Save
Save

Last edited:
Hey everyone, thanks for the input,

Sadly temperature is probably not the source of the problem. My GPU runs around 60 degrees and the CPU around the 50s.

One lead I have found is regarding GOG. It seems that launching the game without GOG allows the game to sometimes not freeze. It certainly allowed me to move forward in Blood & Wine. I Have actually been fortune enough to completely finish the game, yet the source of the problem remains a mystery to me. Even with the GOG trick, the game would sometimes still freeze, and even sometimes loading saves would stay stuck in loading.

This problem is also exclusive to Witcher 3 (for now).

Nvidia 375.57 & 375.86 drivers have a lot of problems, especially on Win 10 and GTX10xx series GPUs. Maybe your issues with Witcher 3 began after updating to one of these versions?

Lawrence0294;n7048620 said:
Hey everyone, thanks for the input,

Sadly temperature is probably not the source of the problem. My GPU runs around 60 degrees and the CPU around the 50s.

One lead I have found is regarding GOG. It seems that launching the game without GOG allows the game to sometimes not freeze. It certainly allowed me to move forward in Blood & Wine. I Have actually been fortune enough to completely finish the game, yet the source of the problem remains a mystery to me. Even with the GOG trick, the game would sometimes still freeze, and even sometimes loading saves would stay stuck in loading.

This problem is also exclusive to Witcher 3 (for now).

Yeah, its getting worse and worse for me. GPX driver 375.95 now.
Like @NlelithZ44 said above, my issues definitely started after updating drivers and it doesn't get any better with new releases...
Only happens with TW3 for me as well.

Verrenus;n64211 said:
2. Fix freezing on dual-core CPUs

Players trying to run The Witcher 3 on dual-core CPUs have reported regular freezing after applying patch 1.07. In order to remedy this problem, if not fix it altogether, download the latest version of Battle Encoder Shirase (BES) and follow the instructions below:

a) Unpack the downloaded BES archive at any location of your choosing, no installation is required!

b) Start The Witcher 3 as you would normally do

c) Start BES by double-clicking on the extracted "bes.exe", click the "Target..." button in the main window, select the "witcher3.exe" process, then click on "Yes" to confirm your selection

d) Click on the "Control..." button in the main window and drag the slider from "-33%" (i.e. the default value) down to "-3%"

e) Have fun properly playing The Witcher 3 again! :D

For visual references to the instructions above, check the "How to Use" section on the BES website. Should you want to remove BES from your computer, simply delete the unpacked folder and you're done!

Source: KeeperOfTheLag

I tested the game recently with the latest 1.31 version and it seems that this issue is or was fixed (no idea which version it fixed it though), I didn't need to use this fix anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

ps. I just ran the base game (no mods and dlc installed).

Last edited:
Dearest Witchers and Witcherettes,

First of all, I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year, filled with nothing but perfect health, exciting new opportunities and care-free gaming sessions! May 2017 be our best year yet!

You must have all noticed that the OP has been left unaltered since the forums were migrated over to the current architecture. I want you to know that this was not due to any lapse of interest on my part, or an incredibly busy schedule (though this latter element could have been a problem), but rather the simple fact that ever since the forum migration I have been unable to edit the OP at all.

I, of course, contacted the moderators shortly thereafter and, while being very prompt and kind as always, they nevertheless informed me that this was not something that could be easily fixed and that it would take an indefinite amount of time to do so. Having waited several months already, I have now unfortunately reached a point in my life where I have less free time for myself and more responsibilities towards my family and loved ones. Therefore, I am afraid that due to both of the above reasons I will be officially discontinuing my support of the Compendium from now on.

It is with great sadness that I have to write these words to such a fantastic PC player base, but please know that without your constant help and guidance I never could have put all of the information in the OP together and make it available to everyone in a timely manner. For that - and all of your encouragement and kind words throughout the years - I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. CDProjekt RED made Geralt's last adventure one that everyone who had the chance to walk in his boots will remember for all eternity, not just the near future. Other games, heroes and stories might fade into memory with new releases, but The Witcher's Saga will always live on in mine as the canon continuation of Mr. Sapkowski's world-changing novels - it simply is that good, beyond what I could express here in writing.

With all that being said, my fellow monster slayer friends, I salute you! Let's continue making the world a better place doing what we all know best! ;)

:cheers3:

My GPU usage is about 70%-90% running Witcher 3 , sometimes it reach 100% . Is this normal ? When running GTA V it never reach 75%

CORE I5 6600 3.3 GHZ
GALAX GTX980TI HOF
MSI Z170A GAMING M3
8 GB DDR4/3000 G.SKILL RIPJAWS

tanaratrises;n7643020 said:
My GPU usage is about 70%-90% running Witcher 3 , sometimes it reach 100% . Is this normal ? When running GTA V it never reach 75%
CORE I5 6600 3.3 GHZ GALAX GTX980TI HOF MSI Z170A GAMING M3 8 GB DDR4/3000 G.SKILL RIPJAWS

Yes. The Witcher 3 is heavier on you GPU than GTA5 by a good amount. Physx in Witcher 3 is also more complex than in GTA5 so your CPU will be taxes more.

No Title

I've used a lot of the Nvidia control panel tweaks on this guide including some others I found online. Should I be disabling most of my nvidia tweaks if I'm going to use an ENB? (was thinking of using E3FX ENB and maybe turbo lighting mod), I don't know if some settings will conflict/maybe I don't need enhanced AA anymore if ENB has better AA anyway? I'll post a pic of my current changes. I've also changed a few ini settings so maybe I don't need some of them either? Just trying to get the most of my quality/performance. Will post a pic of my current nvidia settings-

Attachments

• photo118780.jpg
    photo118780.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 231
Hallo,
i have very terrible Sutter in my Game. I have the Steam Version an i tryed all Fixes and ini Tweaks i found but nothing helps. My Hardware is very very good, so i can dissmis that it was a Hardware Performance Problem. So i testet some Month a few Settings. Nvidia Inspector Settings, Control Center Settings usw.... or a while i found the Problem. It is the Foliage Destiny Setting. When i set it to Very High.. the Stutter is very intensive... set i this to High the stutter is reduce but it is noticable.

So i have reinstall my OS (Windows 10) and tweak this for the best Gaming Experience.. but the Stutter stay strongly in my Game..

So, today i have testet the GoG Version 1.22 from The Witcher and what must i see.. it runs very very smooth without any Stutter.

What is that? Have CD-RED Projekt the Streaming Problems since Patch 1.31?
Or, it is the Steam Version that cause The Stutter. I cant belive that i the only that have notice the Stutter while Running. It is extrem in the swamps... Barons Castle and Novigrad.
When i Play the GoG Version 1.22 all the Stutter are away!!!

So, i cant explain what happens since Patch 1.31 but is broken for me!

Sorry for my bad English..:D

Verrenus
After all this time i discovered what made shimmering/aliasing on foliage more unbearable than it should be in my game, even while using TextureMipBias=0. It was the Forced High Quality 16x Anisotropic Filtering through NVCP (Nvidia Control Panel). I play in 1080p, this tweak doesn't really matter or make a difference for 1440p and higher.

I decided to test the game with its default AF settings and well, it's bad, true. It improves things but the ground still looks very blurry from certain angles. What i did notice is that it didn't really have an effect on foliage, while the Forced AF (with the settings recommended on OP) has a pretty noticeable effect, so much in fact that it makes the aliasing on trees and grass increase.

Some experimenting led me to this config:

Anisotropic filtering: Controlled by Application (My NVCP is on a different language, but i'm pretty sure that's what it says. Also, this obviously means you must have MaxTextureAnizotropy=16 in your user.settings file, or Texture Quality in-game set to Ultra);
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimisation: Off (This, if left on, reduces quality and introduces some image quirks/extreme shimmer on the ground when you move, noticeable especially on cobblestone/brick roads);
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp (Choose Allow for considerably better quality but face the same issues of Anisotropic Sample Optimization);
Texture filtering - Quality: High quality (Or Quality, won't really make a difference if both Optimisations are off, i think);
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: Off (Didn't notice any real difference between On and Off, but the second option is supposed to bring better quality, so...);

In-game Anti-Aliasing should be ON because of its temporal aspect. Turn it off on 1080p and lower and it will hurt your eyes.

The AF wasn't working when i launched the game, and rebooting my PC made it work (not sure why). I then noticed this config made the shimmering on foliage much more bearable, even at TextureMipBias=-1! Which makes foliage look great, and not muddy like a value of 0!

Geralt's non-HW beard still shimmers annoyingly during dialogues. I think that up until patch 1.7 the tweak CinematicModeMipBias=value worked to specifically choose the MipBias of characters, i remember putting it to -2 and Geralt looking like he was covered in glitter. Not sure if it only worked on gameplay and not dialogues, but it definitely doesn't work on anything at all right now.

This was all kinda quick testing because i'm short on time, which means it might just be a big placebo, but i'm pretty sure i noticed real changes :D

Last edited:
Hello ! I have problem with thatched roofs in Witcher. Mainly in White Orchard and village near Novigrad. From distance there is low texture, when i get closer it changes few times (better texutre is loading, when i am very close even better texure is loaded and shadows appear). Tried clean installation with only HD Rework mod and problem still exists. Without mod this also happens but on lower res texutre. Tried to configure user.settings.ini, increase texturememorybudget but nothing happens. Everything is working fine, only this roofs are loading in front of my eyes. Any way to fix this ? I even installed Increase Draw Distance mod but it changes everything else except this roofs. And on few rock textures, shadows appears when I am really close. Don't know how to fix this. Tried almost everything (Clean install, nvidia guide, witcher 3 forum guide.)

Ok So I've Got 2 1080s Ti and a 7700K on Asus Rog.
Running Witcher 3 on 4k 60fps

here are my settings for settings.ini and rendering.

strange thing is that after boosting up (UBER) the variables I get a better stable performance than Recommended Settings By GeForce Experience.

it's either I'm messed up the ini files, or I messed up the ini Files

user.settings
[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=200
[modFriendlyMeditation]
fmedResetRefillSettingToDefaultAfterMeditation=tru e
fmedSpawnCampfire=false
fmedUseTimescale=false
fmedRefillPotionsWhileMeditating=true
fmedHoursPerMinutePerSecond=10.0
fmedRefillIntervalMins=60.0
fmedMaxHoursPerMinute=60.0
fmedHotkeyAsToggle=true
fmedFullHealthRegenAnyDifficulty=false

[Hidden]
HasSetup=true
WorldMapPreviewMode=2
uiVerticalFrameScale=1
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1

[Localization]
RequestedSpeechLanguage=EN
SpeechLanguage=EN
RequestedTextLanguage=EN
TextLanguage=EN
Subtitles=false
[Viewport]
VSync=true
Resolution="3840x2160"
FullScreenMode=2
VSyncThreshold=0
OutputMonitor=0

[Hud]
MinimapFocusClues=true
NPCNames=false
Minimap2Module=false
OnelinersModule=false
BossFocusModule=false
ItemInfoModule=false
TimeLapseModule=false
HudSize=0
QuestsModule=false
BuffsModule=false
DamagedItemsModule=false
HorsePanicBarModule=false
ConsoleModule=false
WolfMedalion=false
OxygenBarModule=false
EnemyFocusModule=false
EnemyHitEffects=false
HorseStaminaBarModule=false
CompanionModule=false
ControlsFeedbackModule=false
BoatHealthModule=false

[Budget]
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=100
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=20
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5

[Audio]
Subtitles=true

[LoadingScreen/TCR]
ShowProgress=true

[Game]
DoNotPauseWhileStopped=false

[dofBlend]
dofBlend=1

[Scripts]
DebugScriptsForceFlush=true
DebugScriptsLogDir=

[PostProcess]
SharpenAmount=2
MotionBlurPositionTreshold=0.05
AllowVignette=false
MotionBlurRotationTreshold=1
AllowAntialias=false
SSAOSolution=2

[Input]
PadVibrationEnabled=true
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
InvertCameraXOnMouse=false
InvertCameraYOnMouse=false
CameraAutoRotX=true
InvertCameraX=false
UIMouseSensitivity=1
CameraAutoRotY=true
RightStickCameraSensitivity=1.5
InvertCameraY=false
RightStickAimSensitivity=1.5
MouseSensitivity=1
SteamController=0
ForceDisablePad=false

[Gameplay]
Difficulty=4
AutosaveTimeInterval=15
HudTutorialEnabled=false
EnableUberMovement=1
EnemyUpscaling=true
AutoCameraCenter=false

[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=200
DecalsHideDistance=80
DimmerHideDistance=60
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=20
StripeHideDistance=60

[General]
ConfigVersion=2

[LoadingScreen/Editor]
Disabled=false

[LoadingOverlay/TCR]
FadeOutCooldownExtraTime=1
FadeInSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveSpinnerTime=3
FadeOutSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveEndCooldown=1

[Visuals]
AllowClothSimulationOnGpu=false
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
MovieFramerate=30
GammaValue=1
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02

[Rendering]
GrassDensity=3400
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=20
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=128
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit=6.5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=1.5
MaxTextureAnizotropy=0
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality=2
TextureMemoryBudget=2400
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1.5
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit=2
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimitSq=100
MeshLODDistanceScale=10
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=1
TerrainReadAheadDistance=600
HairWorksLevel=2
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.6
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThresholdFar=3.5
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimitSq=225
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
TextureStreamingDistanceLimitSq=40000
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor=1
HardwareCursor=true
TextureInFlightBudget=128
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
PreserveSystemGamma=false
CascadeShadowmapSize=3072
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1
CascadeShadowQuality=1
CharacterShadowsFallbackDistance=40
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=1

[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=true
EnablePan=true
EnableGestures=true
EnablePinch=true

[LoadingScreen]
FadeInTime=3
SkipShowWithAnyKey=true
GameRevealTime=3
SkipHideDelay=3
SkipInputDelay=0.25
FadeOutTime=1.5
SkipAutoshow=false

[Engine]
LimitFPS=60

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassGenerationEfficiency=0.075
GrassDistanceScale=1
FoliageDistanceScale=1
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=64
GrassRingSize=16777216
[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true

[Kinect]
Kinect=true

[Foliage]
MaxVisibilityDepth=24

Rendering
[PostProcess]
AllowBloom=true
AllowShafts=true
AllowAntialias=true
AllowMSAA=false
AllowBlur=true
AllowDOF=true
AllowVignette=true
SharpenAmount=1.f
AllowRain=true
AllowSSAO=true
AllowMotionBlur=true
AllowCutsceneDOF=true
AllowBillboards=true
AllowSoftLight=true
AllowFog=true
AllowUnderwater=true
AllowChromaticAberration=true
[Rendering]
MaxTextureSize=3048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=3048
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
TextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=3500
TextureMemoryGUIBudget=180
TextureTimeBudget=10
TextureInFlightBudget=320
DecalsChance=1.0f
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10.0f
TextureStreamingDistanceLimitSq=40000.f
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimitSq=225.f
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimitSq=100.f
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=true
UberSampling=0
TextureMipBias=0
MsaaLevel=0
DynamicDecalsLimit=60
DynamicDecalsChunkLimit=30
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=4.0f
MeshLODDistanceScale=0.0f
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.6f
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=6
ForceInstantAdaptation=false
ForceInstantEnvProbeUpdate=false
EnableTemporalAA=true
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1.0f
CascadeShadowmapSize=1024
CascadeShadowQuality=0
MaxCascadeCount=4
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=3
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=64
UseDynamicWaterSimulation=true
UseHairWorks=true
HairWorksAALevel=8
HairWorksGlobalStrandSmoothness=3
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit=2.0f
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality=1.0f
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor=1.0f
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit=5.0f
TerrainReadAheadDistance=600.0f
ForcedDebugPreviewIndex=-1
HardwareCursor=false
[TextureStreaming]
MaxResidentMipMap=6
[LevelOfDetail]
MeshLodGameplayDownscale=0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
DecalsHideDistance=100
StripeHideDistance=120
SwarmHideDistance=400
DimmerHideDistance=260
[Budget]
DecalBudget=200
[Scaleform/GlyphCache/1]
NumTextures=2
TextureHeight=2048
TextureWidth=2048
MaxSlotHeight=48
SlotPadding=2

Recourses

[Memory/Unloading]
; Master flag - enable the resource runtime unloading system
; This system is using refcounting instead of the Garbage Collector
EnableUnloading = 0

; How many cleanup iterations we should do in one purge
; To few - we may risk delaying destruction of resources to much
; To much - stalls. Should not be bigger than the biggest dependency chain any way (which is around 10)
MaxCleanupIterations = 10

; Minimal amount of frames between each resource purge
AutoPurgeDelay = 30

; Resource grace period - resource will not be released even if it has no references for this amount of frames
GracePeriod = 30

; Validation that the resources we thing we can free we can really free
; This is done by dependency scannig (kind of like in the GC) - VERY SLOW
EnableValidation = 0

; Report potential memory leaks - objects that were referenced from the resources that we freed but did not get deleted
EnableLeakCheck = 0

[ResourceLoading]
; Size of the file queue during game (when loading screen is not there)
; The bigger, the better
FileQueueSizeGame = 250

; Size of the file queue during loading perios (when loading screen is there)
; The bigger, the better
FileQueueSizeLoading = 700

; Number of files to load for which we do not bother with starting fully async process
; Basicaly - if we only have to load few file it does not matter if we use prefetching or not
AsyncLoadingFileCountTreshold = 1

; Do we allow async loading to be used
UseAsyncLoading = true

; Should we use dependency cache
UseDependencyCache = true

; Streaming offset distance in meters (stream in Xm before autohide distance kicks in to allow dissolve to work)
StreamingOffset = 2;

[ResourceLoading/Decompression]
; Maximum number of AsyncIO requests that can be in flight from the resource loading system
; Note that anything more than 50 has a HIGH CHANCE of crashing/freezing the game
; The internal maximum number of pending async requests is 64 and we need to leave some slots avaiable for other systems (caches)
MaxRequests = 45

; Reserved number of AsyncIO requests per priority
; Non zero value guarantees that there'll always be some free slots to service high priority trafic
RequestsPriorityReserve = 4

; Maximum memory budget for compressed data
; The bigger, the faster the loading
; Note: the memory is not pre allocated, it's just tracked and limited
MaxCompressedBudget = 10

; Maximum number of compressed blocks that are in-flight
; In general does not matter that much, do not make it to small
MaxCompressedBlocks = 4096

; Maximum memory budget for uncompressed data
; The bigger, the faster the loading
; Note: the memory is not pre allocated, it's just tracked and limited
; Note2: this should always be bigger than MaxCompressedBudget value, usually x2.5 times (average compression ratio)
MaxUncmpressedBudget = 240

; Maximum number of uncompressed blocks that are in-flight
; In general does not matter that much, do not make it to small
MaxUncompressedBlocks = 4096

Performance

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?>
<performance>
<!--Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X]-->
<device vid="1002" did="6798" preset="2" />
<!--Curacao XT [Radeon R9 270X]-->
<device vid="1002" did="6810" preset="2" />
<!--Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285]-->
<device vid="1002" did="6939" preset="2" />
<!--GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1082" preset="3" />
<!--GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1087" preset="3" />
<!--GF110 [GeForce GTX 560]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1084" preset="3" />
<!--GF110 [GeForce GTX 570]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1081" preset="3" />
<!--GF110 [GeForce GTX 570]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1086" preset="3" />
<!--GF110 [GeForce GTX 580]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1080" preset="3" />
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1089" preset="3" />
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x108b" preset="3" />
<!--GF110 [GeForce GTX 590]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1088" preset="3" />
<!--GK104 [GeForce GTX 660]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1185" preset="3" />
<!--GK104 [GeForce GTX 670]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1189" preset="3" />
<!--GK104 [GeForce GTX 760]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1187" preset="3" />
<!--GK110 [GeForce GTX 780]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1004" preset="3" />
<!--GK110 [GeForce GTX Titan LE]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1003" preset="3" />
<!--GK110 [GeForce GTX Titan]-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x1005" preset="3" />
<!--Geforce GTX 780 Ti-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x100a" preset="2" />
<!--GeForce GTX 980-->
<device vid="0x10DE" did="0x13c0" preset="3" />
<!--GeForce GTX 1080-->
<!--GeForce GTX 1080 Ti-->
</performance>

I Hope Someone can pickup what messed up and guide me

Khronikos;n2832043 said:
Just wanted to stop by and give some updates on 1070 performance. FINALLY, this game is running at a fairly solid 60FPS with the ini tweaks.

I have about a 2 for most of the cascade shadow settings. Grass is a bumped a bit but not much. Anything past 2 on those cascade settings and you will start to see some drops and they do get bigger in places. I am on full ultra with Hair + 4xAA. SMAA from Reshade and in-game AA. No CA or vignette or anything like that. HBAO+. 1080p.

I also have 3000GB on the RAM for textures in the INI. WOW man. So glad I waited to finish my playthrough. The only drops I get are fairly small and usually due to streaming or rainy, stormy forests. The 1070 is officially a card that can basically max out Witcher 3 at 1080p and then some.

Driver improvements should push it over the edge.

---------- Updated at 12:50 AM ----------

Are you using SMAA at highest settings with depth enabled? And with the depth input set to logarithmic?

FXAA is almost never better than SMAA with full depth settings. I would never use FXAA as the blur is atrocious and any temporal advantage is almost non-existent to my eyes. There is also no need for a sharpening filter at all in this game if you ask me. All it does is highlight more noise.

Reshade maxed SMAA plus in-game AA does a really good job with this game at 1080p.

The remaining sub-pixel stuff, on stairs and what not, is never going to be bettered with FXAA at 1080p. And the temporal solution from the in-game stuff is actually pretty good. I've never really heard of using FXAA over SMAA even for temporal stuff. The blur is vomit inducing. Not really sure how anyone could say that looks better than full SMAA settings. Because it doesn't. I have tried it.

You mean TextureMemoryBudget=3072 on the ini tweaks?

Last edited:
Top Bottom