The compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Thanks for maintaining and keeping this here guide up to date over the years, it often helped me out quite a bit.

Lawrence0294;n6947280 said:
Hey everyone,

Sadly I'm in need of help, desperately. I play on PC (obviously) and since recently I have been hit by a deeply annoying problem. In short, at any random moment, my game will simply freeze while the music and environmental sounds continue. I have no error message, nothing at all, and I cannot alt-tab or even bring out task manager, I have to hard shut down my computer. The freeze will come randomly, either 2 minutes after I start, or 10 mins.
I have tried so many things, I have looked at all your checklist, I've changed things in the Nvidia panel, I have moved Witcher 3 to different hard drives, I have re installed, removed all mods, repaired the game etc.

I have simply no idea what to do and I'm desperate to finish Blood and Wine =(

Here is my rig:

GPU: GTX 1070 Mini Gigabyte
CPU: Intel I7 4790k 4.00 GHz
RAM: 8 Go
Systeme: Windows 10 64 bits
Motherboard: Asus Gryphon Z97

Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated =)

Cheers

If anyone else has this problem (I did with my GTX 960 card, so this may be universal), try to see if your PC's BIOS needs updating. I just updated mine so I don't know if that improved things or not, yet.

Verrenus;n7388900 said:
Dearest Witchers and Witcherettes,

First of all, I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year, filled with nothing but perfect health, exciting new opportunities and care-free gaming sessions! May 2017 be our best year yet!

You must have all noticed that the OP has been left unaltered since the forums were migrated over to the current architecture. I want you to know that this was not due to any lapse of interest on my part, or an incredibly busy schedule (though this latter element could have been a problem), but rather the simple fact that ever since the forum migration I have been unable to edit the OP at all.

I, of course, contacted the moderators shortly thereafter and, while being very prompt and kind as always, they nevertheless informed me that this was not something that could be easily fixed and that it would take an indefinite amount of time to do so. Having waited several months already, I have now unfortunately reached a point in my life where I have less free time for myself and more responsibilities towards my family and loved ones. Therefore, I am afraid that due to both of the above reasons I will be officially discontinuing my support of the Compendium from now on.

It is with great sadness that I have to write these words to such a fantastic PC player base, but please know that without your constant help and guidance I never could have put all of the information in the OP together and make it available to everyone in a timely manner. For that - and all of your encouragement and kind words throughout the years - I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. CDProjekt RED made Geralt's last adventure one that everyone who had the chance to walk in his boots will remember for all eternity, not just the near future. Other games, heroes and stories might fade into memory with new releases, but The Witcher's Saga will always live on in mine as the canon continuation of Mr. Sapkowski's world-changing novels - it simply is that good, beyond what I could express here in writing.

With all that being said, my fellow monster slayer friends, I salute you! Let's continue making the world a better place doing what we all know best! ;)

:cheers3:

Thank you for doing what you have already, we will all try to keep this alive and breathing. Good luck on the Path, @Verrenus!

Guest 4071710

Is it normal when im changing the texturememorybudget setting my texture settings go from ultra to low?

Guest 3841499

There was a tweak in this thread or older version of this thread and it was something like "ForceCinematicModeOn=True" or something like that. It improved some sharpness in the distance, but I need to know that exact string to teat it. Its NOT relates to Mip Bias . I have been Googling a lot and still cannot find it... I recall it was discussed/mentioned along with some other light tweaks (...stencil... something...), which did not do much (if at all), but the Cinematic Mode did show some improvement...

sometimes playing, will encounter lag and micro stuttering phenomenon

texture, rain bug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLaOiE_jYSk&t=124s

My specs:
4KUHD
Has been adjusted to 1920x1080
Win 10
CPU:Intel(R) core(tm) i7-6820hk cpu @ 2.70GHz
GPU:MSI NVIDIA GTX 1080
RAM:DDR4 (64G)
1x M.2 SSD (SATA)
2x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA ) SSD
1x 2.5" SATA HDD HDD
already update latest nvidia driver

material and effect all open to the maximum

GPU:90%

CPU:40%

hairworks on

full screen

G-sync on

sync on

I didn't have a problem last time playing witcher 3, which was awhile ago, it might've been before they did the last update for the game, plus there has been updates to windows 10 since then.
anyone else experience this perhaps with the last update that RED did or maybe a windows 10 update? I remember last time I had problems with stuttering in the first time or second time I played the game I just went into the Nvidia control panel and changed 'maximum pre-rendered frames' to either 1 or 3 that did the trick. But now I get stuttering like it's skipping and no matter what I do in the control panel or the settings it won't go away, setting a fps limiter helped so far I think but there is still some there. I also tried re-installing without using GOG at all but no luck.

It's like a blend of mods and fixes. Have a lot of reading to do for my favorites tweaks: ones for the environment.

Regarding the tweak no 8 prefer to keep it at default and dont notice any problem as such, increasing the value extended the loading time to annoyance.

My game is keeping crash for every 5 minutes
Here is the crash report:
Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error writing location 0xf7b07b68

My game is keeping crash for every 5 minutes
Here is the crash report:
Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error writing location 0xf7b07b68

1.) Are you using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

2.) Please, ensure you install all Microsoft Redistributeables:
DirectX 11/12
DirectX 9.0c
Visual Studio
Visual C++
.NET Framework
XNA Framework

3.) Ensure the game is installed to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation on the root. Installing to protected directories, like Program Files or Program Files(x86), can cause issues with games.

4.) Ensure the game has been added to the exceptions list of any anti-virus or firewalls you may be using.

I have a question in regards to the TextureMemoryBudget. I just installed a geforce 1660 GPU with 6 GB VRAM. I looked in the settings file, and it said 4084. What should I write there? 3000? What I'm confused about are the uneven numbers, that this guide propose, and where are these 4084 coming from? My old GPU had 4 GB VRAM.

I have a question in regards to the TextureMemoryBudget. I just installed a geforce 1660 GPU with 6 GB VRAM. I looked in the settings file, and it said 4084. What should I write there? 3000? What I'm confused about are the uneven numbers, that this guide propose, and where are these 4084 coming from? My old GPU had 4 GB VRAM.

I'm not sure that the setting actually functions anymore, so that's worth mentioning.

As for setting the value, things like this tend to work best if they're divisible by either 4 or 8. This is where I get the general concepts of stuff like this, but I don't really know how it always works in practice. A GPU will have pipelines that handle things like texture and mip-map drawing per frame, and there are usually around 8 pipelines running. The Texture Memory Budget reserves a portion of the VRAM to handle exclusively that (which in turn means that those blocks of VRAM will not be available for other functions.)

In my experience fiddling with it (in a few different games) I've discovered the following:

1.) Normally, the program will pick a good setting. Fiddling will either make things worse, or it will be a very minor gain.

2.) For programs that use a totally default value (like ENBseries or ReShade mods), it depends on your hardware whether you want it higher or lower than that default.
When goofing around with an ENB mod (for Skyrim or Dragon's Dogma...I don't really remember), I tried a number of different values to avoid some performance weirdness I was getting. What was strange was that setting it very high for the GTX 670m I was initially using greatly improved the performance.

However, when I built my new system with GTX 980 ti, I got that same wonky performance chugging. Recognized immediately what it was, and I jacked up the budget again. No effect. If anything, it got a little worse. So, I just decided to go the other route and lowered it from something like 2048 to 128. No kidding -- the game started running like silk. Whatever was going on, the 980 ti seemed to want to process small chunks of data in rapid succession, whereas the 670 wanted to process large chunks of data very quickly. Different architecture, I suppose.

It's not a super-critical thing, but I would ensure you leave at least 2 GB of VRAM free. 4 GB would be better -- I've never seen the game go over 4 GB total, even at Ultra settings, 1080p. If it borks, just reset the value. If you're still seeing issues, just delete your user.settings file and the game will create a new one at launch with all defaults.

You may also want to bring this up in Mod Discussions. People there will likely know more about specifically tweaking it.

Thanks for your reply. It's just because I recently changed from a ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX 980 4GB to a
ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER ROG Strix OC 6GB
I was hoping to see an improvement in fps at high settings, but I'm not really. That is with proshadows and Tweaks installed, and - almost - all settings set as high as possible. I had the same settings with my old GPU, and framerate was that super high, but it was okay. Now with the new GPU I actually still see a slight stutter when moving the camera around, with only the two mentioned mods and settings. I was for sure expecting better performance from the new GPU.

I wonder if it's something about the game? No matter how good a GPU I have,
or is there something I've missed when optimizing the game?

Now with the new GPU I actually still see a slight stutter when moving the camera around, with only the two mentioned mods and settings. I was for sure expecting better performance from the new GPU.

That's because a 1060 is a less powerful card than a 980.

The numbering is confusing, but you actually downgraded. A 1070 would have been barely recognizable improvement, and even a 1080 would have been middling improvement at best in most games. (Probably noticeable, but not really worth the price-tag to upgrade, imo. Don't worry so much about benchmark scores; scroll down and look at actual, in-game performance. While +63% improvement may sound significant, and technically is...if you're already pulling 100+ FPS with a game, a jump of 10-20 FPS is not going to knock your socks off.)

General rule-of-thumb with Nvidia is:
xx60 = Budget card. They often perform below the specs of the prior generation's xx70 and xx80 cards.
xx70 = Good bang for the buck. They're no slouch, but they'll show their age in 2-3 years with demanding games.
xx80 = Power-user card. These will be the ones you want to invest in for screaming performance and longevity.

Thanks a lot. I feel like such a noob now :)

I though it would be better because of the more Vram and because it was GDDR6 and not GDDR5. The new card has a lot higher core and boost clock as well. If it was you, would you put the old card back in again?

Thanks a lot. I feel like such a noob now :)

I though it would be better because of the more Vram and because it was GDDR6 and not GDDR5. The new card has a lot higher core and boost clock as well. If it was you, would you put the old card back in again?

Don't feel bad. I've been burned in the past, as well. I don't care for their marketing methods. Technically, as the 1060's do use the next generation of architecture, it's not "incorrect" to refer to them as part of the 1000 line. But, it's easy for me to make the argument that it's misleading, as well. As the xx60 lines are specifically geared toward budget solutions, I feel it's more sensible to label the GTX 1060 as "GTX 960 L2" or something.

As for putting the 980 back in, absolutely. The 980 ti and 1080 ti were two of the all-time best cards ever made in the history of gaming. Even though they have hardware that's inferior to the 1000 and 2000 series...looking at the in-game performance shows that they're certainly more than the sum of their parts. If you really want to upgrade, I'd say that a 1080 ti is a worthy consideration (but getting both rare and expensive). If not, I'd invest in the next generation of RTX cards for a massive jump in both performance and features.

Yeah, those marketing tactics really do suck. My CPU is a Intel Core i7-5820K, do you think I'd get a bottleneck if I bought a RTX 2080? Or can you recommend a good credible site to see such it.

Yeah, those marketing tactics really do suck. My CPU is a Intel Core i7-5820K, do you think I'd get a bottleneck if I bought a RTX 2080? Or can you recommend a good credible site to see such it.

I don't think so. I doubt there's an i7 still readily available on the market that could bottleneck any GPU out there. Anything 5000 and up should do fine. Lower-end i3 chips would likely be the only ones I'd worry about.

But the RTX line is still brand new. I'll make the same argument as always. New tech, super-expensive, not yet standard, methodology is not yet explored by developers, likely lots and lots of issues to come. If I wait for a generation to pass, the next line will be more efficient, less expensive, mostly standardized, lots of games will take advantage of it, and many of the issues will be ironed out.

Top Bottom