The Connected World – External Game Support Possibilities

+
The Connected World – External Game Support Possibilities

As technology progresses, gaming as a whole has tried to incorporate new features to the market. One of the most common of late is the companion app, commonly used on smartphones and web browsers for those times you just can’t get to your beloved game.

One example that I have used is the app for World of Warcraft, which allowed you to guild chat, create auctions, and look at the main armory.

The world of Cyberpunk 2077 would make sense to allow for a similar system. Whilst it is likely that the game will not be always online (I assume), it would still be fun to access lore, news, TV and radio feeds from within the game world. I'd assume that you have some kind of in-game computer (or smartphone maybe) that could be accessed in this fashion, which would allow you – in the real world – to remotely message your friends or NPCs.

What else could it be used for? Well we know there will be an economy system, so one must presume we will have access to the in-game “black market” which would allow you to bid on auctions made by other players or NPCs. Perhaps we could order NPC allies out on missions without having to log into the game client, or add some kind of puzzle mini-game, in order to gain in-game currency. If there is an equivalent of an item or player database, it might be fun to look at the profiles of weapons, gadgets or your fellow players too.

RPGs as a genre take a lot of time and investment to be successful within. Quite often when you are employed and working a full time job, it can be difficult to balance your time to “keep up” with your beloved game. With the social multiplayer aspect and mechanics of Cyberpunk, it would be very rewarding for players that want to immerse themselves within the IP and take the game around with them. You could even roleplay perhaps, that whilst you are out of the game client that you are lying low but still can be contacted by your allies.

Most companion apps are handled by external teams, so the addition of such a project would not likely impact on the main development team too much I'd hope.

Does external support interest you? What other features would you perhaps like to see?

Attachments

• Swel6hB.png
    Swel6hB.png
    350.8 KB · Views: 32
None of the above?

I think they have enough project management issues with a game of this size, without using external teams to produce this kind of thing, and I'd much rather they concentrate on what they're good at, which is single-player games. If I want to speak to my friends, there's plenty of existing ways of doing so without introducing it into what's supposed to be a game, not a social networking tool.

You seem to be assuming CP2077 is going to be some sort of MMO with significant amounts of community interaction.
It's going to be primarily a single-player game.

I don't think this would work.

Also considering they would need to put time in the thing and a little less on the game.

I think the boom for this kind of external application has passed, and for good reason. People don't like to go through number of different devices to play one game.

Thanks but no, thanks :) I - and I cannot emphasize this enough - HATE companion apps. For online games, they are passable (and sometimes helpful). But for singleplayer games it's just ridiculous. I'm glad that even Ubi stopped doing them, actually.

Top Bottom