The Cooking Thread

+

The Cooking Thread

• Total voters
Nope.
Except for the fact that you moved the posts here, and not the cookery thread. I have some great recipes for nuts.

Fine. Fixed. It lacked actual, you know, recipes or foods beyond fruits, but since you promise nut recipes, how can it not go here?

Plus, 222 will have to look for it some more. Smile.

Goreng pisang recipe first....
http://everydaygourmet.tv/recipes/3...sian-deep-fried-banana-with-vanilla-ice-cream
Skip the ice-cream though, they're best eaten as snack food, not dessert. We used to just buy them from the goreng pisang men in the street.

And the best peanut sauce - Malay/Indonesian/Singapore style satay sauce. Not the same as Filipino or Thai.
Start with raw peanuts shelled but still in the skins. Roast for 15-20 minutes in a single layer in the oven at 200C. The red skins should just shake/rub off. If you're too lazy, use unsalted dry-roast peanuts instead.

For the sauce:
1.5 cups roasted peanuts, roughly crushed.
1 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1.5 tablespoon sugar
pinch of salt
1 tblspoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce. Use any light soy sauce if you can't get it)
1 tblspoon tamarind juice. I think that lime is probably the best alternative if you can't get tamarind
6 birds-eye chilis, seeded and chopped (or about 3 if unseeded, or if you don't like it too spicy)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
1 inch galangal, chopped (substitute with old ginger if unavailable. Or any kind of ginger root. Or about 2 teaspoons of powdered ginger if you're totally stuck)

Blend everything except the peanuts until smooth, then add the peanuts and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Serve at room temperature as a dip for meat.

...you are endlessly fascinating. Seriously.

You spend 20 years in the military then reach your 60's you'll be just as "fascinating" I assure you.
Personally I'd MUCH rather be less "fascinating". It was all fun and games at the time but now I get to "pay the piper", and the bill is not small.

In a nutshell I've had 4 "careers" during my life, farmer, USMC, police, programmer. Talk to anyone retirement age and they'll probably have a similar background.

And to be at least somewhat on topic, I'm heating the oven to cook taquitos as I type.

Last edited:
Today I cooked meat.

Does making a sandwich count as cooking?

It counts if it's a Reuben. Attributed (disputedly) to grocer Reuben Kulakowski (Reuben Kay) of Omaha, who made it for his poker buddies. One of them was Charles Schimmel, the owner of the Blackstone Hotel. He put it on the menu, where it was a big success and won a national competition.

Rye bread
Corned beef or pastrami
"Swiss" (Emmenthaler) cheese
Sauerkraut or cole slaw
"Russian" dressing (or Thousand Island)

Stack the sandwich with meat, cheese, and cabbage. Grill until nicely toasted and the cheese is melted. Serve hot.

(With pastrami and cole slaw, it becomes a Rachel. With blue cheese dressing, it becomes a Blue Reuben; that way is my favorite. "Russian" dressing is a remoulade with tomato ketchup that has nothing to do with anything Russian.)

Last edited:
Last night, I made Tiramisu.

Author: Chef Dennis Littley
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Italian
Serves: 9
Ingredients
6 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1¼ cup mascarpone cheese
1¾ cup heavy whipping cream
2 -7oz packages Italian Lady fingers
1 cup cold espresso
½ cup coffee flavored Liqueur (optional)
1 tbsp cocoa for dusting
Instructions
Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. This is your sabayon, remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored.
Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish (or container similarly sized)
Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers.
Repeat process with another layer of lady fingers and cream.
Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Dust with cocoa before serving

I made two of them - one with some raspberries on top. We'll see how it goes.

Looks like this:

Forum veteran
You should get a guest room ready, because tiramisu and raspberries are pretty much my two favorite things in the entire world. Be there soon.

You should get a guest room ready, because tiramisu and raspberries are pretty much my two favorite things in the entire world. Be there soon.

We have one! And you're welcome! And, I have a power rack for the mandatory legs session afterwards! Well, tomorrow. Mmm..legs. Ugh.

Both were delicious - but I have to give the nod to the one with raspberries on top. JUST the right tartness.

It counts if it's a Reuben. Attributed (disputedly) to grocer Reuben Kulakowski (Reuben Kay) of Omaha, who made it for his poker buddies. One of them was Charles Schimmel, the owner of the Blackstone Hotel. He put it on the menu, where it was a big success and won a national competition.

Rye bread
Corned beef or pastrami
"Swiss" (Emmenthaler) cheese
Sauerkraut or cole slaw
"Russian" dressing (or Thousand Island)

Stack the sandwich with meat, cheese, and cabbage. Grill until nicely toasted and the cheese is melted. Serve hot.

(With pastrami and cole slaw, it becomes a Rachel. With blue cheese dressing, it becomes a Blue Reuben; that way is my favorite. "Russian" dressing is a remoulade with tomato ketchup that has nothing to do with anything Russian.)

Woah, sounds delicious!

Damn now you have me thinking about the best Reuben I've ever had, and that was from a little Mom-n-Pop restaurant in San Diego. Use to go there at least once a month when I lived in southern California, the hour or so drive was well worth it.

Top Bottom