the cops are too dumb

+
@PCDania I do not use quick hacks tbh because I have trouble with "mage" builds in computer rpg's and quick hacks, to me, are a tech version of "mage" spells.

@PCDania I do not use quick hacks tbh because I have trouble with "mage" builds in computer rpg's and quick hacks, to me, are a tech version of "mage" spells.
Finally experienced something different the other evening. On the way to a NCPD side job, I was lead to a scene inside Night City where NCPD cops were checking out some crime scene (yellow tape and everything). Just a few meters away in clear view of the NCPD, some Maelstrom bandits were mingling about. I downed them with a non-lethal quickhack while being unnoticed. One of the NCPD officers noted something was amiss and started searching for me which I didn't expect, when he saw me he started initiating an attack. I prefer not to fight the NCPD so I did a quick load and tried again, with the same outcome. Ended up doing a quick load and going a different way to my original target. I had played for at least 1½ hours so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. The game seems to become a bit unsecure on its feet in longer gaming sessions, especially in areas with a lot of AI.

GLN7

Forum regular
I can't say much about the police in this game. They aggro'd on me once during the OP scenario, but they killed me quickly and when I got there for the same encounter, they did not aggro on me.

The only consistent way I have angered the police, is driving like a lunatic and harming/killing civilians in the process, or stealing cars in front of the police. In all of these cases, I just keep driving until the warning is over, and turn around and go back to what I was doing, just driving a little less like a crackhead.

The AI is bad. If it will remain bad, the minimal state of interaction we have now is preferable to a bunch of busybodies. I understand the OP complaint, but did not encounter it much.

The AI is bad. If it will remain bad, the minimal state of interaction we have now is preferable to a bunch of busybodies. I understand the OP complaint, but did not encounter it much.
Reminds me. About a month ago I had one of those flying NCPD robots looking for me but managed to keep mostly out of sight. I managed to get out of the situation by using Distract Enemy on a car making the robot change attention. :p

GLN7

Forum regular
Reminds me. About a month ago I had one of those flying NCPD robots looking for me but managed to keep mostly out of sight. I managed to get out of the situation by using Distract Enemy on a car making the robot change attention. :p
Clever use of game mechanics.

Maybe a problem somewhere :shrug:
Because I complete this NCPD Scanner Hustles few hours ago (just near the "hospital") and when I arrived in the area, the cops and the Maelstromers were already fighting each others...
Then when I showed my face (detected by Maelstromers, not by cops), maelstromers started to shoot on me instead of cops, obviously. Then after beating the maelstromers, the cop remaining simply walk around and simply "ignore" me (I was able to loot everything in the area and even put all the maelstromer bodies in containers for xp without any problem...).
Post automatically merged:

-----------​
Better than words, two "random" events formerly indicated by stars on the minimap in Waston (stars were removed in 1.5), with cops vs maelstromers. In both case, I simply run in middle and killed the maelstromers as fast as possible without paying attention to cops. At the end and during the fight, cops don’t paid attention to me (and even in the last one, a cop thanks me for the help before take his phone^^)
First one:
View attachment 11295106View attachment 11295109View attachment 11295112View attachment 11295115View attachment 11295118
Second one:
View attachment 11295121View attachment 11295124View attachment 11295127View attachment 11295130View attachment 11295133
But I suppose as always, I’m damn lucky and cops are nice only on my game… :shrug:
My point wasn't about them being nice; it's the peculiar inconsistencies in their behavior that consistently pop up. I would prefer they were reliably dickheads to me rather than, as mentioned in my post, them not being able to recognize they're being shot by feral gangsters when I'm just standing on the corner. Sure, I could head cannon some instances of hostility as "must be a dirty cop, working for Arasaka, out to find me... even though there are no Arasaka hit squads to be found.", this is not one of those moments. If they always perceive me as a person of interests - fine, that actually makes sense and I honestly want the police in this game to be a hassle somewhat. I don't want four star GTA-lite or full on GTA. I would appreciate a decent RPG based police system. Too hard to do? Okay; At least have them recognize they're being attacked. Can someone explain why that is a big ask, please?

Today I did start a new character for bug hunting purposes. The scenario you replied to did not occur and the scene played out correctly. However; the side job/gig police banging on Barry's door immediately aggro'd, zero to red hot, just as I left my apartment to meet Jackie and began shooting. I could not shoot back, likely because they're involved in a 'quest'. :facepalm:

Last edited:
I'm on the current build, and at the clothes shop in Pacifica, I fired on some gangers and immediately drew an NCPD Response - first the drone, then uniforms then 1-2 MaxTac. Maxed out the Wanted Stars, waited in place because I actually wanted to see if they'd send more, but eventually the response died down.

I don't think it's that they're "dumb" I think it's more that they are glitched. for instances, 9 out of 10 times If I choose to help NCPD in those "random" shoot outs, they don't agro I shoot gangoons, cops don't shoot at me, they watch me loot the bodies after the fight and everything is fine. but that 1 out of 10 times, the fight appears to be over and for some reason after helping them the NCPD turns on me. I think something somewhere breaks the behavior scripting. This also seems to happen with random NPCS you "Save" from gangs. Sometimes they thank you and proceed as normal other times they get frozen in that panic crouch begging thing and just stay there forever. (Or at least until you're far enough away they despawn). Even the car chases, they're close to being a thing that works, but not quite all the way there. Hopefully 1.6 will address this stuff and come with some free DLC as well.

Also, I want to point out that while it is still broken and needs work. people saying its "untouched" and "multiple patches ignored the problem" are being overdramatic. like yeah it totally needs work, but from launch to now it's much improved. Civilian AI and NCPD AI are bother "better" not fixed not perfect, still need work. But all this "CDPR ignores us, and the game will never be fixed" talk is a bit much. It almost like people want to hate on the game while also still continually playing it?? I don't know. I get constructive criticism and pointing out flaws so they may be fixed. Not trying to call anyone out, I try to keep positive. But some of the comments just seem negative for negativities sake :shrug:

The cop "AI" is terrible.

As the Internet Historian once said about Fallout 76's ai; "Its more A than I" :LOL:

It seems like the cop system was something that was pushed to be back end of the project and since they ran out of time, it just didn't get developed enough. If this is the intended system .. then I don't know what to say as I find it hard to believe. It can't be a "hardware limitation" since older games one the same hardware have done better.

So I believe it's just due to lack of development due to lack of time, which in turn is because of poor management of the project as a whole.

I have great fun resetting the NCPD robots. Most time the human officers doesn't even notice there is something wrong.
Also resetting enemies while they are talking to the police and then go invisible and pick up what they drop is fun. :LOL:

Top Bottom