The Crimson Curse is unleashed!

+

Crimson Curse – GWENT’s first expansion, is now available for PC, PS4 and Xbox One! With this update, we’ve added over 100 new cards and 5 new leaders to the game, as well as introduced some balance tweaks to the Base Set cards!

Full list of changes:
  • The card shader has been reworked and has different lighting behavior during gameplay. Card art should now be more vivid.
  • The "shimmer" effect for disabled premium cards has been replaced with a glittering border effect.

New Features
  • New Monsters Leader: Dettlaff van der Eretein
  • New Nilfgaard Leader: Anna Henrietta
  • New Northern Realms Leader: Queen Calanthe
  • New Scoia'tael Leader: Dana Méadbh
  • New Skellige Leader: Svalblod
  • New page in the Reward Book for new Leader Trees
  • 101 new cards from the Crimson Curse expansion
  • Card abilities that trigger from damage and boost effects will not be triggered by abilities that "set" a unit's power.
  • Visual changes to card status icons.
  • Visual changes to icons for Order and Charge abilities.
  • Letting your turn timer expire 4 times during a single game will cause you to auto-forfeit.
  • 57 new Contracts - subdivided as follows:
  • 44 General (for new CC keywords)
  • 11 Mastery (for CC Leaders)
  • 2 Arena (for CC cards)
  • Added audio feedback for applying and removing card statuses.
  • Cardbacks can now be rotated in the cardback selection screen.
  • Ambient sounds for game boards can now be heard in the game board selection screen.
  • In the Shop, press and hold the shoulder buttons on gamepads in order to add and subtract from the total keg amount you would like to purchase with Ore.
  • The Lock status no longer removes other card statuses and no longer remains on cards after entering the graveyard.
  • Cards with the Doomed status are now Banished when they leave the board rather than after entering the graveyard.
  • A new card type called "Strategem" has been added. Cards of this type cannot be targeted by any other cards. This card type currently applies only to Tactical Advantage.

Neutral
  • Alzur's Double-Cross provision cost changed from 10 to 9.
  • Avallac'h: Sage's power changed from 2 to 1 and his provision cost changed from 12 to 11.
  • Caretaker's power changed from 3 to 2 and his provision cost changed from 12 to 14.
  • Chironex's Deploy damage amount changed from 4 to 3.
  • Unicorn's Deploy boost amount changed from 4 to 3.
  • Commander's Horn boost amount changed from 3 to 2 and its provision cost changed from 14 to 11.
  • Duda: Agitator and Duda: Companion (special cards Spawned by Zoltan: Scoundrel) now have the Doomed status.
  • Eskel's power changed from 3 to 2 and his provision cost changed from 7 to 8.
  • Lambert's power changed from 3 to 2 and his provision cost changed from 7 to 8.
  • Vesemir's power changed from 3 to 2 and his provision cost changed from 7 to 8.
  • Hanmarvyn's Blue Dream provision cost changed from 11 to 13.
  • Nivellen's power changed from 5 to 4 and his ability changed to: "Deploy: Move 3 adjacent units to their other row".
  • Roach's provision cost changed from 9 to 10.
  • Royal Decree's provision cost changed from 12 to 11.

Monsters
  • Eredin Bréacc Glas's provision bonus changed from 15 to 16 and his Leader ability changed to: "Order: Boost a unit by 4 and give it a Shield."
  • Gernichora's provision bonus changed from 13 to 11.
  • Whispess: Tribute's provision cost changed from 10 to 9.

Skellige
  • Crach an Craite's provision bonus changed from 17 to 16 and his Leader ability can now only target enemy units.
  • Birna Bran's provision cost changed from 8 to 10.
  • Ermion's provision cost changed from 10 to 9.
  • Heymaey Skald's power changed from 4 to 3.

Northern Realms
  • Queen Meve's provision bonus changed from 17 to 16.
  • Keira Metz's provision cost changed from 10 to 9.

Scoia'tael
  • Brouver Hoog's provision bonus changed from 15 to 14.
  • Isengrim's Council provision cost changed from 10 to 9.
  • Paulie Dahlberg's power changed from 5 to 6 and his ability changed to: "Order: Boost the unit to the left by 2, or give the unit to the right a Shield."

Nilfgaard
  • Morvran Voorhis's provision bonus changed from 18 to 17.
  • Ceallach Dyffryn's power changed from 5 to 3 and his ability changed to: "Deploy: Purify all allied units on this row."
  • Ability of Cow Carcass (unit Spawned by Rot Tosser) changed to: "Doomed. Spying. On enemy turn end, give adjacent units Poison and destroy self."
  • Rot Tosser's power changed from 2 to 3 and its provision cost changed from 7 to 5.
  • Vattier de Rideaux's provision cost changed from 12 to 11.

Game Fixes
  • Bran Tuirseach's and Coral's passive abilities no longer trigger when the opposing player uses Kambi to Discard a card from hand.
  • Fixed an issue whereby timers/counters for certain units' abilities would sometimes not display correctly.
  • Fixed an issue whereby, when using a gamepad, canceling a match search in Seasonal or Classic mode would result in Training mode being selected.
  • When using a gamepad, upon accessing the Play menu, Classic mode will now be the mode selected by default rather than Seasonal.
  • Fixed an issue on the PlayStation 4 version of GWENT whereby, after resuming GWENT from Rest Mode, a pop-up for a disconnected controller would appear but could not be dismissed.
  • Fixed an issue on the PlayStation 4 version of GWENT whereby pressing the Square button on the Play Menu in order to edit a deck would load a different deck than the one selected.
  • Fixed an issue whereby the "turn button" would flash during the opponent's turn.
  • Fixed an issue whereby the ability of Botchling (and Lubberkin) would cease working after being moved to another row.
  • Fixed an issue whereby the "'Tis not Right!" contract was not listed under "The Witcher Tales" filter in the contracts menu.
  • Added a prompt in Leaders' card preview screens within the Deck Builder stating that the Leader used in the given deck cannot be milled.
  • Tooltip of Mastercrafted Spear in Korean now correctly states "Damage an enemy by 1" rather than "Damage an adjacent enemy by 1."
  • Tooltip of Slave Driver in French now correctly states that all units are taken into account for his ability rather than only Locked enemy units.
  • Tooltip of Coral in Polish now correctly states "Whenever you Discard a special card" rather than "Discard a special card."
  • Fixed an issue in the Polish version of GWENT whereby Egan was incorrectly referred to as Auckes in Letho of Gulet's tooltip.
  • In the Player Profile screen under the Ranked Score tab, the description of Match Progress in the Legend now displays the correct value of matches needed for match progress maximum potential.

Already noticed significant visual changes in the one match I played. Game looks gorgeous now. :ok:

And the music in the menu. Lovelovelove it! Makes we want to play Blood and Wine.

Last edited:
Seems like some decent changes. Cradback is no longer locked behind such a horrific grind. And even actually doing something to a certain duo this time... But yeah, people will still have a lot of questions.

Will the create cards ever be changed? Will Lambert: Swordmaster ever be playable? Will Clear Skies ever be playable?
Are Viper Witchers and Traheaern var Udyffir ever going to be changed? Will Coral get back to a balanced state?
Why is there a card like Shupe's Day Off in a game where there isn't even any real reason to have duplicates and everything is balanced around provision costs?
Why does Usurper's leader ability even exist?
And so on.

Friendly reminder that with Damien and the neutral double deploy card, You can now play the witcher boost card 3 times in an emyhr deck. *I mean because you can copy the deploy with letho"

Last edited:
Great patch, with one complaint; there's basically no thinning and with the hand size being "too small" at 10 cards, there's even more emphasis than ever on quality of deal.

Ah, I was adjusting all my decks, which had cards provisions changed and as the last, I was fiddling around with my Eredin Breacc Glas deck centered about Keltulis. After making changes with this deck for about half hour (took the most of time from all of my decks), I noticed, that Eredin gives immunity no more ... oh, so much effort for nothing. :(

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Balance changes implemented are, in general, acceptable. Some of the most concerning issues have been answered (unicorn-chironex combo, massive use of the witchers, Skellige discard tempo, etc) eventhough there are still some problematic cards (like viper witchers or Traeharn among others).
The thing that saddened me the most was Eredin's new ability because I find it weak and lacking flavour (comparing it with Ardal or Eist). I hope we can see a Wild Hunt archetype in the future and some kind of rework for the wolf witchers inspired in what they did with the crones (that was a pretty interesting design).

That Eredin's change...
Look how they massacred my boy.

Maybe change him to a charge based shield leader?

Hold up! Witchers got NUKED wow.

Last edited:
Witchers almost unplayable (24 prov 6 power).
BUT replacment is already here PORTAL (13 Prov with power from potentially 6-8 depending on what you put in your deck and what you draw).

no refund for the cards that simply become unplayable?
You already got the refund that you were able to use too strong cards before the patch. And that (atleast some of the) too strong cards going to be nerfed is something that should be expected.

Conerning the changes itself:
I think most of them look good. But the Witchers seem to be hit far too hard in my opinion. Keeping their provision and only lowering their power would have been enough. And Eredin change has made him far worse even though he got a slight provision increase. But shield and immunity aren't comparable at all. Giving Eredin two charges and reducing the boost to 2 seems much better to me.

Top Bottom