The designer/balancer of Gwent should really watch Mogwai, Merchant and Swim's videos

+
The designer/balancer of Gwent should really watch Mogwai, Merchant and Swim's videos

There might be other gwent youtubers, but these three are my most watch, and they certainly know what they are talking about in their videos about "opinion about gwent's current state".
Mogwai talk about why there should be more engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULaSzR9r7dA&t=335s
Merchant go over PTR patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb7W-qYt6AI

Videos like these really inspires and protrays a Gwent that I want to stay in, I just hope the designer can have a look at them when they create new cards and/or balancing/tweaking cards

Guest 4226291

It may be a Gwent you want to stay in but not everyone else. Boiling down balance decisions to three popular streamers that essentially control all of Gwent is a pretty disturbing thought.

I believe cdpr will pursue the future of gwent that we all want, its just about testing the waters then setting sail but not setting sail with three streamers opinions who are not game developers.

There are dozens of posts here or on reddit with opinions and ideas, not sure why you think that just cause it's in video format it somehow makes it more valid than text. I actually watched a couple of videos from Merchant on this subject and i can't say i would fully enjoy Gwent in his vision.

I hate streamers.

Not because I hate them.

But I hate them.

That probably sounds harsh..but I can barley find time to game myself ..let alone watch someone else

EternalJxx;n10397552 said:
It may be a Gwent you want to stay in but not everyone else. Boiling down balance decisions to three popular streamers that essentially control all of Gwent is a pretty disturbing thought.

essentially control all of Gwent?
Where does that come from?

Therealmorkvarg;n10397632 said:
I believe cdpr will pursue the future of gwent that we all want, its just about testing the waters then setting sail but not setting sail with three streamers opinions who are not game developers.

Iuliandrei;n10397672 said:
There are dozens of posts here or on reddit with opinions and ideas, not sure why you think that just cause it's in video format it somehow makes it more valid than text. I actually watched a couple of videos from Merchant on this subject and i can't say i would fully enjoy Gwent in his vision.

TheShift;n10397792 said:
I hate streamers.

Not because I hate them.

But I hate them.

That probably sounds harsh..but I can barley find time to game myself ..let alone watch someone else

Salty Salty comments...

I only said designers should take those pro players opinion into consideration because what they said is way more informative and reasonable than average reddit/forum suggestions and you all act like I'm saying designer should quit his/her job and let those three design

Lyserus;n10397442 said:
There might be other gwent youtubers, but these three are my most watch, and they certainly know what they are talking about in their videos about "opinion about gwent's current state".
Mogwai talk about why there should be more engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULaSzR9r7dA&t=335s
Merchant go over PTR patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb7W-qYt6AI

Videos like these really inspires and protrays a Gwent that I want to stay in, I just hope the designer can have a look at them when they create new cards and/or balancing/tweaking cards

I watched Merchant's recent review of the leaked (via China) upcoming patch balances, in this clip he recorded an interesting conversation with 2 other prominent youtubers... what I believe was most telling about the conversation between the 3 of them was the growing negativity towards the direction the game is heading, which in my opinion is also becoming more and more common in this forum community as well... at the end of the day it seems as though the developers are listening less and less, not just to the youtubers, but to everyone

As merchant repeatedly states, the streamers mentioned in the OP are in constant discussion with CDPR about the state of the game even if they dont feel 100% listened to at points. They also preview stuff a lot earlier under non-disclosure agreements. You could argue that their feedback has more 'weight' than a number of other sources. Be thankful that CDPR is monitoring forums, and taking on feedback from a number of sources (look at the top deck podcast with Burza from a few days ago- even there he's taking notes). It's far more time consuming to constantly do the feedback thing rather than just shutting oneself away and creating a game - they're making the effort to tailor the game to what the community wants instead. A 1-2 month update cycle is pretty generous in this industry.

CDPR is aware of the issues in question but any coder/ designer needs time to actually address them properly. You can't just snap your fingers and fix it in a day. Devs know they can't please everyone, plus idealists may not be aware of the realities of what can be programmed for within the current engine. Massive change is what lead to the midwinter patch so I'd prefer it if they did it incrementally. They know they can't screw it up to that extent a second time. If it's too slow for some, take a break for a month or 2 to let people finish the work they're starting. Midwinter was a bad time for Gwent. Hopefully the only way is up from here.

Last edited:
I don't really watch Swim's stuff (I find him very arrogant) so I can't really comment on him, but Merchant and Mogwai I watch quite a lot. Mogwai I mostly agree with, but Merchant can be a bit funny. I remember him holding up Viper Witcher as the best new card added - he seems to want a control meta, which I personally think would be far worse and far less fun to play in than the current point spam one. Personally I prefer Mogwai's vision, engine cards are so much more fun to play. Petrify also had a good series saying what changes he wants for each faction.

While I do agree that streams aren't the best way of judging a community's opinions, I do think they would be worth the dev's time. It probably is better than trawling through all of the aimless hate spewed here or on Reddit. While there are some really good posts, with some really good ideas, everyone has a different view of what the game should be. Personally I think CDPR play a bit too safe, and should go for some more out there ideas more often.

hydra66;n10398082 said:
As merchant repeatedly states, the streamers mentioned in the OP are in constant discussion with CDPR about the state of the game even if they dont feel 100% listened to at points. They also preview stuff a lot earlier under non-disclosure agreements. You could argue that their feedback has more 'weight' than a number of other sources. Be thankful that CDPR is monitoring forums, and taking on feedback from a number of sources (look at the top deck podcast with Burza from a few days ago- even there he's taking notes). It's far more time consuming to constantly do the feedback thing rather than just shutting oneself away and creating a game - they're making the effort to tailor the game to what the community wants instead. A 1-2 month update cycle is pretty generous in this industry.

CDPR is aware of the issues in question but any coder/ designer needs time to actually address them properly. You can't just snap your fingers and fix it in a day. Devs know they can't please everyone, plus idealists may not be aware of the realities of what can be programmed for within the current engine. Massive change is what lead to the midwinter patch so I'd prefer it if they did it incrementally. They know they can't screw it up to that extent a second time. If it's too slow for some, take a break for a month or 2 to let people finish the work they're starting. Midwinter was a bad time for Gwent. Hopefully the only way is up from here.

In the context of Gwent still being in Beta release, your argument is not unreasonable, however CDPR is trying to have it both ways for themselves, by also trying to charge money for kegs, whilst their product is still in the product and development phase. Yes I understand many fledgling gaming companies may do this, but CDPR is hardly a fledgling company... on a separate note outside of the gaming industry people who do product testing usually get paid for this rather than having to pay.

Jezaboom2;n10398192 said:
In the context of Gwent still being in Beta release, your argument is not unreasonable, however CDPR is trying to have it both ways for themselves, by also trying to charge money for kegs, whilst their product is still in the product and development phase. Yes I understand many fledgling gaming companies may do this, but CDPR is hardly a fledgling company... on a separate note outside of the gaming industry people who do product testing usually get paid for this rather than having to pay.

On top of what I have said in another related post, I want to add two more points. Creating games can be expensive. If Gwent remains in beta for a total of two years, we cannot expect CDPR to have a buffer to cover that period without any income. Not to mention they are also developing Cyberpunk at the same time. Also, on a practical note, if there wasn't an option to buy kegs, then everyone would be expected to grind their way to the top and not everyone has the time or interest to make that commitment. As such, already having the ability to buy kegs is not really an issue. On the contrary, with a steady stream of income, CDPR can keep improving the game.

hydra66;n10398082 said:
... look at the top deck podcast with Burza from a few days ago...

I can't find this one for the life of me. Do you have a link?

Lyserus;n10397892 said:
Salty Salty comments...

I only said designers should take those pro players opinion into consideration because what they said is way more informative and reasonable than average reddit/forum suggestions and you all act like I'm saying designer should quit his/her job and let those three design

That's not salt..from me

it's more like....envy

I would like to game more..but can't,cuz life

TheShift;n10398402 said:
That's not salt..from me

it's more like....envy

I would like to game more..but can't,cuz life

Honestly, I don't watch their gameplay videos much as well, only their analysis and feedback :)

Lyserus;n10397892 said:
Salty Salty comments... I only said designers should take those pro players opinion into consideration because what they said is way more informative and reasonable than average reddit/forum suggestions and you all act like I'm saying designer should quit his/her job and let those three design

I don't think you know what a salty comment is, i'm sorry you're so bothered that other people disagree with you. Also i don't really watch these people but like i said, from what i saw in Merchant's videos he doesn't consider himself a "pro player", i recall he said he's just an entertainer, so you're wrong on this front aswell.

Top Bottom