"The Devil" Ending

+
Sorry to disappoint you, but they did not mean Johnny Silverhand but Yorinobu Arasaka, who had been soulkilled on the order of his own older brother Kei shortly before the fall of the towers, as described in the Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0. sourcebook Firestorm: Shockwave. It is explained in Cyberpunk Red (see page 268) that Kei, who was forced to commit seppuku by Spider Murphy 22 hours after the fall of the towers, had been fooled by a body double who was soulkilled and never learned that his younger brother is still alive.

Post automatically merged:

I mean Mike Pondsmith himself broke his own canon creating Cyberpunk RED instead of following this:

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Cyberpunk_V3.0

So, a little bit of leeway for CDPR compared with Cyberpunk RED I don´t think is that dramatic.
Well, Cyberpunk V3.0 was not very popular and he already planned to replace it with Cyberpunk Red when CDPR approached him.

Sorry to disappoint you, but they did not mean Johnny Silverhand but Yorinobu Arasaka
So maybe I misunderstood your point, but you mean that CDPR asked to Mike how to bring back a "dead character" which is in fact, alive in 2077 in Cyberpunk Red ?

Anyway, let's drop this OT and my point at the start, in the game, Cyberpunk 2077 (I don't care about Cyberpunk Red, or any others...)
- Alt is no longer Alt (Alt die in 2013). According to her, she simply use her engramatic datas.
- Johnny was Soulkilled in 2023 (the only way to be an engram and end on the Relic. Whatever if his memories are right or wrong).
If it doesn't match with the lore, I would say : whatever ! CDPR writed their "own" story like that :)

So maybe I misunderstood your point, but you mean that CDPR asked to Mike how to bring back a "dead character" which is in fact, alive in 2077 in Cyberpunk Red ?
Yes, remeber that CDPR asked Mike Pondsmith about a Cyberpunk computer game years before Cyberpunk Red was published. He was just developping Cyberpunk Red at that time and at that time Yorinobi was officially dead, the first victim of Soulkiller 3.0. That*'s the reason the whole body double thing of Yorinobu was introduced.
If it doesn't match with the lore, I would say : whatever ! CDPR writed their "own" story like that :)
And, that's wrong. It is part of the Cyberpunk canon. This means that it cannot contradict the lore of the TRPGs. And remember that Mike Pondsmith was involved in the game. So, the big question is: What is behind the contadictions? Some of them had been explained by Mike Pondsmith, others had been not.
- Alt is no longer Alt (Alt die in 2013). According to her, she simply use her engramatic datas.
Did she really die? Remember that Alt developed the original program that was turned into Soulkiller as a method to achieve real immortality. Aren't we all just engramatic data running on a biological computer? It is a highly philosphical question, which we cannot answer.
- Johnny was Soulkilled in 2023 (the only way to be an engram and end on the Relic. Whatever if his memories are right or wrong).
As I said, there is a time problem. Remember, that Arasaka had only a very short time window to remove Johnny from the towers, soulkill him and bring his body back to the ruins of the towers before the first respoinders arrive. And why should they do this? Johnny was no one important. And there were atleast three other members of Strike Team Alpha who were also killed. did they also soulkill them? And also remember that Mike Pondsmith already said that Johnny's memories are wrong.

These are all signs that there is something going on of which we know nothing.

As I said, there is a time problem. Remember, that Arasaka had only a very short time window to remove Johnny from the towers, soulkill him and bring his body back to the ruins of the towers before the first respoinders arrive. And why should they do this? Johnny was no one important. And there were atleast three other members of Strike Team Alpha who were also killed. did they also soulkill them? And also remember that Mike Pondsmith already said that Johnny's memories are wrong.
If Johnny was not Soulkilled by Arasaka (the only corpo which have the Soulkiller), how it could be possible that he end as engram on the Relic in V's head...
"Johnny engram stored in Mikoshi and then, put on the Relic by Yorinobu" is not a memory (which could be right or wrong, whatever...), it's just a fact.

In my opinion, CDPR take some "liberties" with the lore, that's all and it "hide" nothing.... Anyway, I give up, we are OT and we can agree to disagree :beer:

Hi Martine... the devil ending is related to hell.

V's is simply damned...
If you never learn about christianity or buddhism. It also has to do with the choice of Keanu as the actor...
You may not have any idea about whats going on.

Choosing the devil ending allows saburo the true evil to be reborn into yorinobu his own son, from the dead.

By this way, punishing any traitors inside the arasaka corporation who sides with his son and having full control over arasaka launching the greatest weapon upon the world.

As V, you also betray your own choombaz wishes and family, you dont allow his sacrifice to be useful and write your name and his, into the legend of night city....

Oohh and for sure all his about the role playing game... cyberpunk is not about having skills or killing... its about being the coolest, and living your life as a cyborg to become the most famous possible.
The most legendary possibly to carve your name with morgan blackhand / rache bartmoss / alteria cunningham / Johnny silvergand /spider murphy / Richard night / ....
Skills are just a tool.
And the best one should have been netrunning but the game doesnt express it the right way...

It lack thus part of the universe / plot ...
Did you know that when you rescue alt..
Shes still alive and warm ? She was just controllin the turets to threaten taki the guard master of araska in 2023 and 3 netrunners who have been fried bu her to free her...
And Johnny came to waste it all because hes a moron....
While he was beating the crap out of Thompson she was there shoutin at them... but could not be heard.

Surviving doesnt matter...
But the fire you keep within the people who will remember you.

So yes the devil ending is a mix between sisyph myth and the wheel of chaos from the bad karma in buddhism... repeating the same errors again and again...
By submiting yourself to the god ( arasaka ) V betray himself, Johnny and the rest... it is evil cause consequences are evil.

And even in the end you wont survive...
The agony of everyday repeating the same mistake on the cube send to the fact that now you have gettin rid of the only thing that could save you the relic.
You lost and your soul and yourself.
Being jailed in orbit with no chances to change your fate.

While all other ending have a chance for something and hope.

Isnt it how hell supposed to look like miss dee ?
Or may i say... like all the people of my time : missdirection.

Bet i should deserve a contract with cdprojekt to give them idea for the dlc...

Shouldnt i ? :))

Last edited:
I'm very disappointed. I ran a full playthrough to get the secret ending where you go alone into Arasaka building through the front door. No joy - doesn't trigger. Probably did some irrelevant misstep somewhere but did all the big ticket items right - let Johnny do his thing with Rogue, the Oilfield thing telling him he saved my life, etc etc etc. Yet, my standing with Johnny max at 60%.

I'm uninstalling the game and won't buy others from CDRed. Ever. Again. Why you ask? Because this is the acumen of developer arrogance of making the game for them rather than for the player. It's incredibly frustrating to burn so many hours on a playthrough and not get to the ending you want because of some ill defined capricious choice by the developer.

Plus, it's completely illogical - that ending does not actually require Johnny. At all. Terrible design choice. CDPR - never again.

let Johnny do his thing with Rogue, the Oilfield thing telling him he saved my life, etc etc etc. Yet, my standing with Johnny max at 60%.
you unlock the secret ending if you answer johny on the oilfield that he screw up even the relationship between you too. I cant express how its exactly in the dialogue but if you still dont know which answer to choose, find secret ending on youtube. But still, this dialogue on johnys "grave" is crucial to unlock secret ending (without it you cant go over that 60% standing with johny)

If Johnny was not Soulkilled by Arasaka (the only corpo which have the Soulkiller), how it could be possible that he end as engram on the Relic in V's head...
And that's the big problem, because both Black Dog and Cyberpunk 2077 are canon.
While he was beating the crap out of Thompson
That only happened in Johnny's memory.
I'm very disappointed. I ran a full playthrough to get the secret ending where you go alone into Arasaka building through the front door. No joy - doesn't trigger. Probably did some irrelevant misstep somewhere but did all the big ticket items right - let Johnny do his thing with Rogue, the Oilfield thing telling him he saved my life, etc etc etc. Yet, my standing with Johnny max at 60%.
A secret ending is a secret ending because it is hard to achieve. If you do not get it then you must have done something wrong.

And that's the big problem, because both Black Dog and Cyberpunk 2077 are canon.
You are making a big problem, of something that the creator of the franchise doesn't seem to be much worried I think. Either CP2077 will branch from canon (like Cybergenerations, which by the way is mentioned in CP2077 in one of Mikes radio talks and its not canon...) or CPRED version 2.0 or next iteration of franchise will accomodate CP2077... I mean, KOTOR are not canon for Star Wars (are Legends I think), Vampire Bloodlines I'm not sure is canon either (and which ending?).

You are making a big problem, of something that the creator of the franchise doesn't seem to be much worried I think. Either CP2077 will branch from canon (like Cybergenerations, which by the way is mentioned in CP2077 in one of Mikes radio talks and its not canon...) or CPRED version 2.0 or next iteration of franchise will accomodate CP2077... I mean, KOTOR are not canon for Star Wars (are Legends I think), Vampire Bloodlines I'm not sure is canon either (and which ending?).
According to all we know Cyberpunk 2077 IS canon. Mike Pondsmith himself explained the reason why Johnny's memories differ from the original short stories/adventures.
BTW KOTOR had been canon until Disney aquired Lucasfilm and decided that the whole mess that is the Extended Universe is not canon anymore.
Computer games are always a problem, especially if they have several endings. Which ending is canon? Well, we do not know. But we know that Cyberpunk 2077 IS canon, unlike Cybergenerations which never was canon and Cyberpunk V3.0 which was removed from canon because it was a failure.

The Devil is the easiest ending to achieve, because you only have to do the main jobs. And that's the reason I believe it is the most likely canon ending.

The Devil is the easiest ending to achieve, because you only have to do the main jobs. And that's the reason I believe it is the most likely canon ending.
The suicide ending is also available whatever your "choices" :shrug:
And it's even easier in my opinion, everyone is alive except V and Johnny, Mikoshi/Soulkiller still active, Saburo still "alive" in Mikoshi... And above all, V story is really ended, so no need to bother about finding a cure.

The suicide ending is also available whatever your "choices" :shrug:
And it's even easier in my opinion, everyone is alive except V and Johnny, Mikoshi/Soulkiller still active, Saburo still "alive" in Mikoshi... And above all, V story is really ended, so no need to bother about finding a cure.
But it is not a real "ending", it is just a coward's escape. Dying during the suicide run is better ... ;)

But it is not a real "ending", it is just a coward's escape.
Just your own opinion ;)
It's not my case, but you can find members on this forum who could explain to you (better than me for sure) why according to them, it is the best ending and the one that makes the most sense.
So "better" for you, doesn't mandatory mean "better" for everyone :beer:

The path of least resistance (also known a seasy way out or suicide) does not change any of the events of the third act. Yobinoru will still start his coup and fail and his mind will still be replaced by Saburo. In this regard it is worse than The Devil because V is dead. V's role in these events is very minor and changes nothing.
The Sun, The Star and even The Temperance are much better endings because Saburo stays dead and Arasaka is weakened.

I'd be wary of judging anything as 'cowardly', unless used as a taunt to lure Scavs out of their rat holes.
Let's stick to The Devil ending.

I thought the Devil ending was a fitting one for my corpo character. It was my first playthrough, so the thought of having to survive was always very present to me. Getting into major leagues never seemed appropriate for my character and given the corpo background, they already had some trust in corporations built up.

So accepting Hanako's offer seemed very fitting. That V can't be saved was bittersweet, but (I chose to go back to earth) in the end, you got 6 more months that you can try to enjoy to the fullest out of this mess. Considering that your life would have ended at the day of the heist or for corpo V, the day you lost all your priviliges, that's not too bad.

I'm definitely trying to explore more and probably go for a different ending on my streetkid playthrough, but overall I still like the Devil ending.

The Corpo ending, is for the most part a suicide ending with extra steps. V is back to step one, hence the fool card in Misty's reading, and quite frankly I do not think V lasts the 6 months with huge amount of brain damage, that may of been 'jury-rigged' to some extent by Arasaka. In some ways I get the feeling V does not survive planet fall, as Vik and Misty still think you are on the station after you left.
Keep in mind, V has proven she is a huge threat to Arasaka, on multiple occasions and there is no way a meg corp with its rep would allow such a threat to run around. Hanako is daddies girl, she is cold and calculating, with runner skills surpassed that of Alts (by 2077), and is not above killing anyone just like her father. Just ask the peeps that try to write her bio. Hanako would prefer to use V to her advantage, by having V become a construct, reprogram the engram to be very pro Arasaka without 'disturbing' V's skill set, then place into a body. The contract that V signs, I had to laugh, who would enforce it?? No one, not even the new Arasaka flag waving V..... not worth the paper it is printed on, as the saying goes.

i finished this ending couple of minutes ago and i still dont uderstand why this ending is such opened. I refused hellmanns offer to create my engram and decided to go back to the earth. a took my bag and passed the doors to the freedom. long view to the earth and...credits. omg. how this can be called ending? i spent maybe an hour to pass those tests again and again and then i wont get even a few seconds on the earth?

back to this topic. i decided to try this ending because this option doesnt risk lives of anyone else. only yours. if you feel strong as hell (lvl 50, 753hp, almost 2500 armor, strong hacks and weapons,...), you dont need help of anyone else.

In the end, Arasaka is shown to be basically a vampire in Night City and Yorinobu wants to destroy it.

Still, I might have sided with Hanako if not for the conversation at the bar, which is actually quite fantastic and illuminating if you pay attention to it. Specifically, Hanako reveals GORO HAS NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT when he discusses the Arasaka family. For a man who was their bodyguard for decades, he doesn't know them.

Because Hanako KNEW Yorinobu killed Saburo and didn't care.

It's only when he planted the idea that Yorinobu would turn against her (which was a lie) that she turned on him and resurrected her immortal Emperor Palpatine dad.

I just watched the video of "The Devil" ending.
I can't stomach the thing.
I'v tried all 3 endings were V lives.
Haven't done any ending where Johnny gets V's body nor have I ever done the suicide one.
In order of "like" (stars):

*** Star
** Sun
* Devil

I don't particulairly 'hate' Devil, but I sure as hell wanted to leave that space station at the earliest convenience, so there's that.

I'v tried all 3 endings were V lives.
Haven't done any ending where Johnny gets V's body nor have I ever done the suicide one.
In order of "like" (stars):

*** Star
** Sun
* Devil

I don't particulairly 'hate' Devil, but I sure as hell wanted to leave that space station at the earliest convenience, so there's that.

I actually chose the Johnny gets V's body ending as my canon one because V as an Engram is immortal.

I had the idea that instead of going beyond the Blackwall, he takes over Delamain's cab service or at least becomes his partner.

Top Bottom