The direction gwent has taken

• I feel the same way

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • I see your point, but I doesn't matter if it helps to improve the gameplay

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • You're talking rubbish

Votes: 14 16.5%

• Total voters
The gameplay now is better than it was during beta NOW THAT THEY HAVE NERFED WEATHER.

Weather was WAY OUT OF HAND. Now that has been toned down, the great versatility of the decks is amazing.

Burza46;n8902390 said:
Since we decided to remove weather immunity units have to be agile now :)

No they don't. Just spawn weather on both sides and we will think twice if its worth the risk to play weather card if we have more units on the same row. Now it's just mindless spam with no risk what so ever. The agility you implemented is just a mitigation of this mindless weather spam. Still debatable if it works since I can just spam weather on all rows without hesitation.

But sure, whatever..., you know what's best I guess. That's why no one complains and threads like this don't exist.

Burza46;n8902390 said:

Yeah we understood that. But by doing that, you've wrecked the lore and meaning of the rows being dedicated to infantry, archer/mage and siege units. The "army" feeling that was the core of the gwent lore is completly gone in order to try to fix another game mechanic (weather, which is clearly still not working as intended).

This is specially absurd when it come to NR siege machines and infantry which are ALL agile. If Gwent is going down that path you should at least change the row name and ditch that "lore" thing aside because as it is right now is just kinda stupid.

Not to mention griffins clearing droughts etcetera, a scoia'tael dude on a horse clearing torrential rain, nonsensical measures mandatory because of dumb weather. Sorry, but just really over it.

MooshieMooshie;n8896560 said:
Did it? Frost would effect melee combatants much more than archers. Likewise, fog is going to hinder archers much more than melee fighters. I believe the idea is that these weathers are effecting the entire battlefield, but it's just certain units that are most hindered by that type of weather. It wouldn't make sense with the current agile weather, which was why weather was bound to one row.

Not necessarily. Fog can affect a melee fighter the same way a smoke screen can affect a soldier: by making him unable to access possible danger. Same way frost can make machines malfunction and rain can hinder weak soldiers (eg makes them less mobile because it creates mud and makes their now wet clothes heaviers) etc. So yea any effect can be played on any row and it would make sense.

I agree that tons of mobile weather and agile units are really killing the feel of the game. A different solution needs to be found.

Burza46;n8902390 said:
Since we decided to remove weather immunity units have to be agile now

I am by no means a game designer, and I give this criticism with the utmost respect for the Gwent team because you guys have been doing an awesome job of trying very drastic changes to make a sustainable game.

From my limited perspective:
Weather is shaping the entire game at this point. More units are becoming agile to avoid the more mobile weather, and weather has to be agile so that is impactful in every match up. At what point do we decided that it is too much of a hindrance to a fun and balanced game? Weather belonging to a specific row along with units is intuitive. Weather also cuts down on deck diversity by forcing players to tech solutions just in case they encounter an all weather deck. Teching for weather decks makes it a case of all or nothing since only the decks that smother their opponent in weather have a chance of keeping it on the field, while the deck that runs 1 or 2 weather cards will just see them get cleared immediately.

In its current state I would prefer weather to be removed from the game entirely to stop it from adding tons of agile units to the game, and forcing everyone to run anti-weather tech cards. No other archetype makes you run 2+ answer cards to have a fighting chance against them.

I'm really hoping that you guys can find a solution for weather that makes it more like the consume mechanic. It effects your side of the board more drastically than the opponent's, and your opponent shouldn't be expected to tech cards unrelated to their deck to interact with it.

My idea for a possible solution:
Weather plays on both sides on its respective row as in closed beta. If the unit played into weather is not immune to that weather type it takes 2 damage a single time. Decks meant to be played with weather get bonuses from it similar to our current Foglets and Imlerith.

This would make weather less game warping while allowing it to be powerful for decks built to benefit from it such as self wounding SK or Monster weather.

idomyownstunts;n8896770 said:
Honestly, the lore should be their strength. Now it's more like loosely based on the witcher and gwent the witcher 3 game. Watered down, plastic, tinny, phoney. Why cling to weather at the sake of the game, if you can't get it right soon, just kill it ffs. My pet peeve is still those silver multichoice cards. Generic crap that could all be scrapped and replaced with a new neutral character called Staple Generica with 4 of the best options and everyone could run it and no one would notice any difference. Meh, crap tirade ended.

Yeah, auto-include mage in every faction is annoying. Clear sky, weather, spell, oh boy what fun. At least weather can get changed again in new patch, but those mages will only get like +1 or -1 power at best.

I think the worst thing about weather has always been the way it is countered, which is inconsistent.

The first thing should be imo to rework the system in a way that prevents simple Bronze cards to create huge power swings.

Just making weather have effect AFTER the enemy's turn would be a good improvement, as it would allow a counter card to deny the damage.
Everyone will keep slinging Rain and Frost as long as they know a significative portion of damage is guaranteed.

Burza46;n8902390 said:

Why did you remove weather immunity in the first place? Why fix something that was working well?

IDK, can't be really that hard. Just remove agility of non-ST units, spawn weather on both sides and make the weather row specific just like in CBT. However, all weathers should do what Biting frost is doing now - 1 damge over time.

PrincessMassacre;n8914160 said:
This... Seriously made me laugh... game is completely broken now, when you have 'agile' siege units; what nonsense. ;o
How is agile siege units nonsense? And by the way, not all siege units are agile. I'm just 1 week into playing Gwent but it makes sense to me that siege units with wheels should be able to be moved anywhere they are needed. Moreover I won't be surprised if 80% of those complaining about weather play Nilfgaard. Yeah. You can toss those rotten carcasses all day and have a laugh while you're at it but weather is game breaking. And then you've got the infinite resurrection queensguard bullshit. And another faction just goes about robbing your grave and clubbing you over the head with your own units; no problemo. But weather..ooh noo. Weather is Cancer.

LightPriest;n8917890 said:
How is agile siege units nonsense? And by the way, not all siege units are agile. I'm just 1 week into playing Gwent but it makes sense to me that siege units with wheels should be able to be moved anywhere they are needed.

Just because they have wheels doesn't mean that ballistas should be taken into the middle of the sword fight. What good would they do there? You couldn't even fire them when the people operating them would be sliced in to bits in the chaos. They would just be standing there in everyone's way doing nothing.

Burza46;n8902390 said:

Sorry, but... this sounds very 'unGwent'... It will just introduce more RNG into the game instead of strategy.

Should have reduced the weather debuff to 2/3 HP (as a weakening effect) instead of 1 and adjusted counters instead.

Should not have played with Faction and Leader abilities, which have reduced diversity.

Should not have made so many changes all at once; which is against best practice in any development cycle. Now you're back to balance testing day zero.

You literally took most of the fun out of the game with these changes, reducing overall deck diversity.

Not to mention, less comprehensible with these new unit descriptions.

The ultimate aim should be to infinitely expand diversity, as that is the only way in which to make the game more interesting and less meta-driven.

RIP: Northern Realms... especially Henselt/Siege decks. Now it's the Radovid Lock-meta. :\

Last edited:
BornBoring;n8894940 said:
New weather system? Debatable. I wasn't a happy about the old one and I'm not happy about the new one. So many units becoming agile (including weather)

I see absolutely no sense on Weather being agile. Weather is and always will be OP imo, as long as it has a permanent and ongoing effect on the board and i have heard any argument and i am intelligent enough to play "around it". What Weather stubbornness achieved for me in Gwent is, to appreciate any other CCG out there. Just started playing Hearthstone again, after almost 2 years that i left it!

But i'll keep playing the "Weather Card Game" for a few hrs per day and watching is evolving, well, i hope it'll be evolving because atm. has a huge list of flaws and already many things have been discussed in depth for no action to be taken. That means all is under control.............

BornBoring;n8894940 said:
There are three different weather effects, fog to example affects only the ranged row,which makes sense, because for obvious reasons bad sight is a bigger problem for archers than for a pikeman.

I had trouble deciphering this sentence the first tome I read it, other than that, your English was (mostly) on point! The correct phrase is for example)

As for Gwent, I think the game is in a better state than it has ever been, but of course a lot of the flavor is gone.

Foglets dying to fog is one of the major complaints I'd have, but in terms of fun and balance, the game is phenomenal in my opinion. Weather is well balanced in my opinion (Though Clear Skies is a bit lackluster).

What fixes would you propose for the game?

The main issue for me is since the transition to open, Gwent doesnt feel like...well Gwent anymore. The game feels more akin to a Hearthstone Lite to me with so much burst tempo being near mandatory nowadays and the game feeling less strategic. Even the balancing feels like a Blizzard approach of just handing the weakest faction some OBVIOUSLY broken cards in the next patch, letting them be topdog for a while then nerfing them and re-starting the cycle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom